Options

Thursday 4th March

Well if it's poetry you're after...

What 18 mile timed run, then another easier run in the evening.

Comments

• Options
    Personally I keep my beard trimmed very short more like designer stubble really.

Todays rant first, foggy again in Dubai why or why do people here drive with their hazard lights on in fog whilst going along a eight lane highway... Ok rant over

What: 10K at lunchtime
    Why: Feel like it
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Saturday

Have a good one!
  • Options
    Morning,

Happy Birthday, Donaldo.

What: 4M easy am, done, 8M steady pm

Why: recovery week & race Sunday

Last hard: Tue

Last rest: Mon
  • Options
    morning,

What: Nothing!
    Why: Physio yesterday, still some swelling etc. Rest for another week.
    That will be three weeks off which has to put Coniston on the 26th in doubt and makes me wonder if I will be fit for White Peak Mara 22nd May.

Happy Birthday Donaldo!

Why does porridge not taste as good when you haven't run first?
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Morning peeps.

Still no running, it's now nearly 3 months since I ran a single step. I'm managing to retain some fitness using non-impact cardio equipment in the gym, but the ankle is showing no signs of improvement, a days walking in the Peak District proved that.

Roll on the arthroscopy on the 16th March.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Morning All,

Did a mammoth 15hour day at work yesterday!! Not quite the endurance event I want to compete in.

Woke up at4.30AM to do a 10.6 mile run. Must get more sleep since 4-5 hours is not enough.

My sympathies to all who are injured and best wished to those poor souls holding stressful jobs with long hours and family responsibilities yet make the effort to run.

Hope you all have a great day.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    ooops: wished = wishes

{must get more zzzzz's}
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,

best wished to the injured from me too.

Happy Birthday Donaldo.

What:5 miles

Why:tapering to do 20 mile race on Sunday, so will not do more than 5 miles today and tomorrow. I find it so hard not to go out and do 10=12 tonight, but I know if I do I'll still have some of it in my legs on Sunday.

Last hard:Tuesday

Last rest:yesterday
  • Options
    Morning.

Happy birthday Donaldo - you are 20 days older than me!

Commiserations NRG-B - no one should have to work those sort of hours.

What: 5 easy am (back on the old autumn run I did - light enought again :-)), pm club run - will chug along in the pack to conserve energy for Saturday's session.

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: 15 days.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've done the same nrg-b. Wished should be wishes!
  • Options
    Morning all,

Happy Birthday Donaldo

Barbara-keep possitive you will be back running before long but wish you well it must be so hard.
    With you on the porridge bit:-)

8 miles steady done it felt good out there legs felt fine although I had to jump in a hedge pretty quickly due to speeding car crossing 2 lanes to mount my pavement and it is only wide enough for one!!!! I am sure my heart rate went up pretty fast!!!

best wishes to those injured and sorry you had such a stressful day yeaterday NRG-B

Happy running out there today
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning all - happy birthday Donaldo

What: 10 mins warmup 30 mins at slightly quicker than race pace 10 mins warmdown
    Why: Six weeks to go - time to start getting some marathon specific quality work in.
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: 9 days
  • Options
    Morning,sore knee so will ease back a bit

What..45 mins with 30 min block of fartlek
    Why.. Training plan says so
    Last hard..yesterday intervals hate hate hate
    Last Rest..Last Sat
  • Options
    happy....birthday....to..you....

What: 6 miles am / 8 tonight
    Why: last 2 real hard weeks before tapering starts
    Last hard: felt like this morning :(
    Last rest: Friday

Back to my Weetabix :)
  • Options
    Well, it's been an odd week, training-wise.

General weariness forced me to have an easy week, with just 3 to 6 mile runs at base-traing heart rate every day, so I could get back to the long weekend runs for flm with renewed energy.

In December 03, the regular 3 mile run to my secretary's house took me 30 minutes at hr 145, because my base training pace was roughly 10 min miles.

This week, the same route at the same heart rate took under 26 minutes - miraculously, I was doing effortless 8.5 min miles ! I even clocked 7:50 for one of the miles that had a slight downhill stretch.

This may have been a fluke, it may never happen again, but the hrm and sports watch cannot lie - can they? (still in disbelief).
  • Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the birthday wishes so far. I'm sure BR will agree when I say March babies are the best! ;)

I intend to live my running through the training reports on this site today cause I wont be getting out myself. Hope you all have a great run and a great day!

Donald :D
  • Options
    Morning all.

My 3 daughters were all born in March so yes they are the best babies.

What: rest day
    Why: forum social tonight
    Last rest: Monday
    Last hard: Sunday

Have a good one
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Donaldo.

Not been on this week, felt demotivated on monday due to work, tuesday was a light 6 mile to see how foot would hold, still a little painful, yesterday was weights and fast 5k, foot still painful this morning, but only when running, even if poked and prodded I cant feel anything!

What: am 5 miles done, pm hill reps

Why: Need to get back into hill reps again!

Last Hard: Friday

Last Rest: Monday

Enjoy
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Donaldo and hope those on here with injuries, aches, strains and pains are on the mend.

What: 9 brisk miles last night.
    Why: mileage building and trying to raise aerobic threshold.
    Last hard: 5 days.
    Last rest: 6 days.

An hour's circuit training followed by a swim planned for this evening. Have a good day all.
  • Options
    Morning All,

Happy B.Day Donaldo, that's a hell-of-a-run you did yesterday.

What: AM - 9M easy; PM - 1M warm-up; 4 X 3k @ 10M race pace / effort with 600m jog recoveries (Smashy session).
    Why: 45 days to FLM!
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Friday

Have a good 'un.
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Donaldo. I'm sorry, but I still feel that February babies are the best, but I hope you have a good one anyway.

What: nothing

Why: Have clocked 17 miles in 3 days, which is a lot for a me. Don't quite know what's happened to me but I did 6 miles really well with the club last night when I thought I was knackered after Monday's long run. Body seems to be really happy running at the moment. Don't really want to rest today but I woke up tired and know I should.

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: sunday

Have good ones, all.
  • Options
    Morning,
    Got back from work early yesterday so managed to run in daylight and get off raod. Did about 6 miles and played 5aSide later on.

What: Circuit traing
    Why: Cus its Thursday.

Keep going everyone, nearly Friday again.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Donaldo. March Babies = parental midsummer madness. (nb I too am a march BD).

Treadmill, Wardi and others thanks for your advices. My previous experience of shin splints (25+ years ago) was real tenderness along the length of the front of both Tibia. This time its onone only on the back/inside, an area about 1 inch long 1/3 the way down from the knee. Following Wardi's examination procedure I can feel a slight bumpiness but no tenderness just now. I suspect that this lack of tenderness explains the GP diagnosis of "not a stress fracture".

rechecked diary and can't run tonite (Uni application process presentation at daughter's college). So will go for steady 5 on Friday. Still not given up on Sunday race!

Enjoy your training

• Options
    Morning all,

Really not sure what to do tonight, as my right calf is still feeling tight. I'm not too worried about it, as I've got a massage booked on Saturday and I'm sure that will straighten it out, but the question is what do I do tonight? The planned speed session is not going to happen obviously, so perhaps I should just do an easy run. But is that worth the risk of tightening up the calf even more...? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    morning.

Good eight miles last night but oddly my hamstring is pinging again this morning - its the only way I can describe it...almost like the muscle is spasming right at the top of my leg. Odd, and slightly painful.

supposed to be doing 6 tonight but like you Venom I'm not sure if I should just leave it now with Thanet 20 on sunday...advice would be welcome. I am a confused marathon trainee!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Not really sure what to do today either, as still experiencing pain in my right shin. I'm supposed to be doing 8 miles according to the schedule, but I may do one of my circuits with an escape route so that if it's too painful I can cut it short. I'm not even sure whether I should be running through it, although it seems less painful after I get going.

LynneW, your comments are interesting. Perhaps forcing yourself to have an easy week has allowed all the training you've done to show its results? I'm on a step-back weeks this week so it would be great if it worked for me too! Somehow I doubt it as I just feel knackered!!

What: Probably 5-8 miles very easy, depending on shin.
    Why: Don't want to push my luck.
    Last hard: Everything feels hard at the moment - aches and pains and stiffness and tiredness and grumpiness and ...
    Last rest: Yesterday. Decided to rest the leg rather than put more pressure on it.

NRG-B - hope you don't have such a manic day at work today. 15 hours is ridiculous.

And - June babies rock!! (I was definitely an anniversary present as I was born nine months almost to the day after my parents' September wedding anniversary!)
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

happy birthday Donaldo.

FF, Barbara, sfh, Venom and Minks - best wishes for speedy recoveries.

What: club session tonight, 6 x 3 mins.
    Why: it just is
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: 4 days

Minks - I'm also on a stepback week and seem to be getting more fatigued instead of fresher. I felt awful on a steady 5m last night. I'm telling myself that it must be doing me good after 4 weeks of high mileage finished off with a race, but I wish it felt like it was :o(

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Happy Birthday to you Donaldo, have a great day - March is definately the best, if you had delayed your arrival just another 15 days you could have been with the coolest!

Well 11M done already plus agood w/u and c/d, should have been steady but turned out to about 1/2M pace.
    Why: funny week, travelling in Europe so had to compensate for some lost speed work and endurance
    Last hard: this morning
    Last rest: Yesterday, enforced through travel
    Have fun out there.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Donaldo. I wish you all the best. However, for the record the people who have the most fun are the Leos born in the summer month of August like me. All that lazing around - great stuff ;-)

Venom: I too have had a tight-ish right calf since running Roding Valley last Sunday. I was forced to have a day away from running yesterday. So I did calf stretches instead - in full view of my work colleagues. Seems to have helped and they had a laugh too.

Hilly: I bought that Scholl massager. Had a quick go with it yesterday. It's a little beastie! Will have a better go tonight.

• Options
    Hullo. Been lurking but not posting, as haven't been able to run properly now for 4 months 'cos of injured knee. Made couple of false starts but had to stop.

BUT managed one-mile jog/walk/shamble without pain on Tues, so plan to try same tonight.

Been to doc, hosp, physio, etc but kneecap pain a mystery. Stems from falling and bashing knees on Tarmac in Oct. Really sharp pain right on front of kneecap, worst when going up/down stairs or getting in/out of car. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, Donaldo.
    nrg-b, I didn't know there were two 4:30's in a day.
    Barbara, rotten luck, but be patient and positive. Same to sfh, Venom, Minkin, Birdy and all other crocks. I remember this thread being almost injury-free not long ago.
    Jill, no idea, but hope the recovery continues.
    Great progress, LynneW - chalk one up for the BT disciples. And great stuff too, Coco-Cat - keep on in that groove.

Today is official happy day because the North Downs Run is happening this year, and I've been a bad boy and must be punished. Today is also hard intervals day, mostly tready, aiming for 10 miles-plus including a bit of a gentle cool-down round the green bits of town. That's the plan anyway.

Have fun.