Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Ok, based on somebody having read the instructions rather than just looking at the map and thinking it was the same as previous years the new Breakfast Run meeting point is:

• Options
    Hi All. Just wondered if everyone has had their convocation? Should this be emailed to you?? I haven't got it yet. Also really interesting to read about the ibuprofen. I was going to take painkillers with me just incase as I suffered a few injuries along my training so will make sure I take paracetamol instead! Can't believe it is nearly here now. I am excited/nervous/terrified all at the same time!
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Suz - you need to log into the ASO account where you signed up for the marathon (try this link: https://www.asochallenges.com/en-EN/my-events/schneider-electric-marathon-de-paris-2017).

If you scroll down a tiny bit, you'll see 'MY ORDER' 'ADD OPTIONS' and next 'MY CONVOCATION'. You need to download it from here and print to take with you when you go to the expo to collect your number.

They don't email it to you I'm afraid, which you'd think would be much easier for everyone but .... *Gallic shrug, blows some gitane smoke in your direction....*  B)
  • Options
    Thank you Nells - will look for it now :-)
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Reading about the Ibuprofen, seems like it's one to be avoided - but wondering if my codeine/ibuprofen mix tablets might be OK - if I need to take painkillers I think I'll want to go stronger than paracetomol maybe?

Hope I'm not the only one suffering from serious taper anxiety; felt like I tapered the last 2 weeks due to achilles issues so trying to resist the urge to make up for the last couple of weeks. I swear I wasn't this nervous before the previous ones...
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Nicko - Honestly, I wouldnt do the combination. What sort of pain are you in where paracetamol doesnt cut it? You maybe need to look at that and check whether you should actually be running. 

I say this because I regularly see runners popping everything up to tramadol during a marathon when really they should be listening to the pain and working out that.

Yes, a marathon will hurt but if it hurts enough that you're needing codeine and the such then i'd be seeing a doctor or physio sharpish

(this is coming from a recovering buprofen popper who has seen the damage that popping pills during marathons can cause and what the issues can be.
  • Options
    I've printed my convocation, got my medical certicate (well I'm afraid my doctor refused to sign so I had to fake this - my friend had a doctors stamp so really hoping they accept this - anybody else done this??) So I think I have everything I need to take with me document wise?!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    SuzSaville82 - As long as the medical certificate is signed and stamped they won't give it a second look. You'll be fine.

Convocation, medical certificate and photo ID. That's what you need to collect your bib.
  • Options
    Thank you :-) x
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Kenno  :o
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    yer maj - you're welcome  :p
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    kenno - I've got work to do this week and need to do it so that I can leave my laptop at home when I get on the eurostar. Stop distracting me!!!!
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    null

Emmy - thanks for the advice; I read some other info after that posting and won't be taking anything with ibuprofen, just not worth the risk of health problems with the dehydration.

I'm struggling with some achilles/ankle problems; it's usually OK once warmed up; just wanted to have something in my gel belt in case I need to push through, not intending to pill-up prerace. Will likely just stick to backup paracetomol and a good dose of manning up.
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel very nervous and terrified that I won't make it round in time to get a medal and for it to actually count.

My knee continues to be problematic since the weekend. I saw a sports physio last night which was expensive but at this stage I'm desperate. He has given me some exercises to strengthen my knee but realistically I'm not sure how much it will help. He also taped it but it's been hurting just walking today. I might try a run later, I've not run since Saturday and have been feeling achey and exhausted all week but I think that is general fatigue and a stomach bug as much as running.

I wish it was 11 weeks instead of 11 days ...
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I do have some Dihydrocodeine I was planning to take along with paracetamol after about 15 miles to see my knees and feet through the rest. 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Katey - I'd suggest resting if you're in pain walking. It would be better to do nothing between now and the marathon and be walking pain free, than to keep trying to run on it and risk making it worse.

Feeling nervous and terrified is perfectly normal. In fact not being nervous and terrified probably means you're insane!
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I think you speak a lot of sense Eggy, I just keep panicking that if I don't keep running then I won't be able to in two weeks time as I'll have lost all my fitness.

I know that isn't true but it doesn't stop the mild panic! I did attempt a very half hearted run tonight, just a gentle 3km as cancelled trains and no real lunch break made for an exhausting day after a restless night. My knee felt okay though even though I was knackered but it made me feel a bit better about things.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Katey: one thing I always remember is that it's better to be on the startline under trained than over. 

Give yourself a break and the best chance of finishing. 

Well done on your run! Hopefully you'll get some more sleep tonight! 
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Katey - I've had very similar thoughts. I only ran twice last week and my long run was aborted as I felt so stiff. I think you just have to trust that you won't lose fitness in 11 days on get on the start line feeling fresh. 
  • Options
    Supporter information:

We'll have a crack team of supporters with us in Paris. Look out for these flags (in various different colours, possibly being waved by minions). They'll be in various places around the course and if you see one you'll know there's a friendly face on the end of it, a sweaty hug and possibly a bag of jelly babies. 

Our regular supporters know the good places to stand and how to get around. If your friends and family want to join them, just let someone know either at the meal at Pasta Papa or on the morning of the race. We generally meet at the Arc de Triomphe around 7:45am for a group photo/mass send off before heading for the start pens. Look out for a bunch of people who look like this:
  • Options
    OK, file failed to upload, trying again 
  • Options
    Been dropping by to catch up on comments posted about running injuries. I'm in the same boat as a few of you. I have been for some time due to Rheumatoid Arthritis/Hamstring and sprained ankle. 8 weeks ago, the Paris was OFF. My ankle cleared up and Paris was back ON since my Hamstring pain was easing. Then Paris was OFF because the Hamstring had caused the knee cap to swell up and hurt like crazy. (That's what the doc told me). Thursday I see the another doc for a cortisone injection in the knee cap, so Paris might be back ON. I can live with the Hamstring strain with a strap around the thigh area. Just to ensure that I have done all that I can do, I have 2 light Sports massages lined up before I get to Gare du Nord on the Thursday.

In my twilight years, I have been following the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk/Run method. Depending on your finishing time, you follow the
    Run/Walk ratio that is allotted to your hoped for finishing time.
    But you must begin the Run/Walk method from the very beginning.
    No good running half way then breaking into the Run/Walk method.
    I've been training with the 2/1 method that will get me home around the 5hr time. 2/1 method could be 2 mins/1 min or 1 min/30 secs or
    40 secs/20 secs. One must stick with the formula. See Jeff Galloway's web site for helpful info.
    I dont mind starting at the back end of the Pink Corral, because I dont get knocked over by the faster runners.
    p.s By running the 2/1 method when injured etc, your pace for the Run section will hardly ever slow down when reaching the end of the section, you then recover with perhaps a 15 min/mile walk section, this will give you time to flex your legs before setting off again.
    Best wishes to all the marathoners especially those who are injured and still lining up in the corrals.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I've not been active in this thread this year as I've been kinda busy, but I do want to wish all of you a fantastic, successful and enjoyable run in Paris.  Wish I was going to be there and see y'all - but that'll happen some other time.   And a reminder - some of you here (you know who you are) are to blame for me not sticking to the "one marathon and done" plan.  Now look what you got me into ;)
  • Options
    At risk of busting the myth "there are no stupid questions", what's the 3 legged stool symbol represent ?
  • Options
    Can't quote for some reason!
    Quote from Eggy, "Feeling nervous and terrified is perfectly normal. In fact not being nervous and terrified probably means you're insane!"

I didn't know I was insane :)
  • Options
    Now I know how to insert/post an attachment. For anyone who still are struggling to get the form stamped, you can get this done as a backup.