Options

Friday 5th March

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday Rene, and for tomorrow(?) Blisters minor.
    Welcome Dan & Jill.
    Hope everyone's injuries are easing.

Did as promised last night, 8 miles' worth of particularly masochistic treadmill intervals, then three miles steady outside in the greenery (well, it was dark, so blackery really).

Bearing in mind that anything I do tonight would only be easy, instead I'll be resting up til Sunday to be fresh for the Wymondham 20. That'll make 36 miles for the week in (shock horror) three quality sessions.

Enjoy your Fridays.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hello all

Haven't posted for a while.
    Happy Birthday RF:)

what: 1 mile warm up, 13.2 miles at 9.40pace, 1 mile cool down

why: schedule says so

However: actually ran the 13.2 miles a bit faster and was really chuffed to finish it in 1hr 56 mins!!!:0

I'm training for a sub 2hr HM taking place in 4 weeks, so v.v.v. pleased with results so far.

Hope everyone else has a good run or recovery!
    tiaxx
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Feeling much more optimistic today. The suspected shin splints seems to have disappeared - even after running 8 miles last night. I started cautiously, on a route which would enable escape at either 3 or 5 miles, but felt absolutely fine so kept going for the whole 8 miles. I expected to suffer for it this morning, but no pain at all. Legs were a little stiff post-run, mainly in the calves, but that's worn off now too. I'm really pleased because running in pain is no fun at all.

What: Very gentle 5 miles (it is supposed to be a step-back week, after all ...) I will enjoy the first signs of spring in Regent's Park.
    Why: Schedule says so!
    Last hard: Sunday and Tuesday - Sunday because it was 18 miles (nuff said) and Tuesday because it hurt so much.
    Last rest: Wednesday.

Good luck to all racers this weekend, especially nrg-b - I'm expecting great things from you!!
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

Today: Rest day from running, with just a session down the gym pm.

Why:
    3 days of quality running in a row after only 2 weeks running since lay off. ( receipe for injury reoccurence )
    Took part in Police Euro XC Trials on Wednesday, meant to just jog round but got carried away a third of the way round and qualified for the team.
    Representing British Police in Poland at Euro XC end of March.

Last hard: Yesterday 3 x mile off 2min recovery in 4.58, 4.58 and 4.59, ran controlled with aim to get back down to 4.45mins in 3 weeks with less recovery.
  • Options
    Happy birthday RF
    Enjoy Paris FF
    Be patient all injured/sick peeps

Last nights mile reps turned out to be 600m reps instead which was a bit of a shock to the system, I prefer the longer intervals. However achieved 8 reps averaging 2.40ish which is actually slower than last time we did 600s back in October.

What: Massage
    Why; cos calves have been feeling a bit tight and I thought it might do me some good. Turns out my main calf muscles were fine, but both lower calf, quads and rt ITB were very tight. Not any more though!
    Last hard; yesterday
    Last rest; Monday

Not planning on doing anything more energetic than walking the dogs between now and Reading. Saving myself for an assault on my PB.

Y'all have a good one now.
  • Options
    Afternoon all!

Happy birthday René, you share a birthday with Mr LizzyB. Treating a load of friends to some trad British food tonight - sausages, mash, mushy peas and break and butter pudding.

Minks - glad your shinsplints are getting better.

Well, a lovely spring-like day today but ...

What: Very little
    Why: some sort of virus, trouble breathing raised heartrate, but don´t actually feel that ill, and have just done a bit of snowboarding this lunchtime, so hopefully it won´t hold me back for too long.
    Last hard: Don´t make me depressed ... A week ago, when 20 miles felt easy. Now 2 miles seems a bit tough
    Last rest: Wednesday

Opinions needed! I´m now in the process of having the best part of a week off in the midst of FLM training due to illness, work and other catasprophes. Given that my training has been pretty much on schedule so far, how much damage will a week off do? How can I mitigte the damage (this is meant to be a easy week on the Hal Higdon 'advanced II´schedule)
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone, well done sven27 on qualification. I'm sure Tipton will pick you for the 12 stage anyway, it's unlikely all the big guns will be out for the Midlands.

Is anyone at the intercounties tomorrow at Nottingham?
    I'm travelling up but just to spectate this year. Its a race which really takes it out of you and although 2 years ago i did run a ten miler (54:40) the day after, that really hurt!

I'm probably going to do a 20 miler at the weekend, aiming to do it at about 2:32 Marathon pace (1:56). With a 2 mile warm up and warm down that will make 24 miles - longest run in the buildup.

What: 7 miles easy
    Why: 20 miler on sunday so only one run today
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    afternoon all

worrying sounding symptoms LizzyB - take it easy....

what: Would like to do the 5.8 miler which has been such a problem for me the last 2 Fridays - but am feeling tempted by something a shade longer - maybe the 7.3 miler with the hill. Depends on how I feel when warming up I suspect.

why: cos I'm not tapering for Farndon on Sunday - apart from having a day off tomorrow
    last hard day: last genuinely hard day was a while back - 10 days ago to be precise
    last rest day: Monday
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone.

What: A Guiness or two
    Why: R&R - a planned rest day today (first time for ages I've allowed myself a lunchtime drink).

Instructing and assessing on a Duke of Edinburgh Award Expedition training weekend so won't get much of an opportunity to run over the next two days - will be nice to be out and about on the North Downs though.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Rene.

Venom, your right I shouldn't asume the worst :-)
    I was quite amazed though. Even working in the building trade, very few people we work for smoke! & I don't know any runners that do anymore.
    Just cannot work out how you manage to keep getting little niggles.
    Maybe it's because you so new to running, I've been at it for so long it's hard [impossible] to remember when I first began!
    Race well at Reading, any idea who I'm up against on Sunday :-)

Lizzy B, 7-10 day's is supposed to be ok & you get to carry on the schedule as usual.
    Last year I injured myself with 3 weeks to go but still managed to make the start line in reasonable shape!

sven27, sounds like a good trip away!

Resting today has been quite easy, I think after training so hard having a rest is a novel thing to do!
    Massage in 90min yippee!!!
  • Options
    Hello!

Happy Birthday Rene!

Feeling tired after last nights track work. Gonna do 45 minutes though. Start off steady and see how i feel after half an hour.

What: 45 mins (6 miles steady)

Why: Longer run after yesterdays 20 X 200M.

last hard: Last night

Last Rest: 15 days.

Monique, i ran a few hill reps on Lincolns 'steep hill' the other day and a group of people at the people at the bottom looked confused. A beer belly then tried to be the comedian and asked what i had forgot this time. I was tempted to say 'nothing, but i dont want to forget where my dick is when i cant see it in the future'.

Was amused by a bloke shouting 'last orders' when i was out about 9 ish a couple of weeks back.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Rene :D

I did just less than 13 miles today - the first 7 with a mate at a very easy pave (nearly an hour) and then just less than 6 on my own back to my house at about 6:20 pace. Good running, although I had some discomfort in the hip.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

did 2 miles with kids from school at lunch time, then a miserable achy 5 miles after work.

Happy racing all this weekend!
  • Options
    Evening all - some good resting going on - wish I'd joined you.

What - 5 miles easy am, planned 6 steady pm but had one of those runs you remember as a complete waste of time. I had gutsache, kept stopping, sat on a bench by the canal for a bit and generally trudged disconsolate 8:30 pace just to get home. 4.5 miles in all.

Why - took some kids on a revision workshop this pm - could be too much of the coffee, salted nuts and kit-kats on offer!

So, it's a disciplined hour of stretching, sit ups and weights tonight for that exercise kick.

Last hard: Weds

Last rest: 17 days.

Stifler, in my case the answer would have been `what it was like to be a fat chuff like you':-)
  • Options
    Happy bday Rene
  • Options
    BR - I had one of those runs the other day. Bl**dy irritating.

Tonight's cruise intervals became a tempo run as I needed to get back to the office - so... 36min at 10.1mph on treadmill. Felt hot - I think I may not have been well enough hydrated. However the pace does feel like it's getting more comfortable.

Good luck racers - looking forward to reading race reports on Monday. I've got a 23 miler to look forward to on Sunday, which I'm more apprehensive about than I was about Bramley last weekend...
  • Options

Evening all , I've gone down with another cold/bug/virus thing! ( sore throat , headache etc.) so have only managed 12 miles in the last 3 days!.

It's probably got something to do with the 5k race that I did 2 days after the Bury 20.
    I'll never learn!

I had planned to do the Thanet 20 on Sunday but may be forced to spectate rather than run!.
  • Options
    Lizzy- I would advise a week off sounds like you're proper laid low, if I was posting feeling like you this would be when I would use my floating spare flu week which I build in to my marathon plan, as Winter always has some bug or other in store for us. In any case you call it "absorbing your training" not resting. Not resting could lead to a few miserable confidence sapping runs this week and tired legs next week.

Will someone please copy and paste this into an email to send back to me when I am ignoring my own advice.

Stifler- It's a good job you run fast or you would certainly end up scuffling with the lardos.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Have a good day Rene.

The perils of junk food BR. Having said that I am about to depart to the local bistro for pizza and ice cream!

Lizzy..in the lead up to last year's FLM I was poleaxed by food poisoning for about 5 days in early March. Lost 6lbs in weight in a few days! Once I had recovered my strength I was soon racing and training as normal and managed a PB on the day. As Monique says, most of us have to take a few days off due to illness or injury in the training build up. Consider it as a well earned rest period, and get well soon.

Tonight..7 miles steady. Rest day tomorrow then the Norton 9 on Sunday, one of my favourite races.
  • Options
    Evening Everybody

Venom and WP and any others will see you at Reading this weekend at which point i will hopefully be chasing Venom around the course.

Rene Happy Birthday

What: 8 miles easy am, 15 miles cycle pm
    Why: tapering towards sunday

Have a good weekend and good luck to everybody who is running or racing.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Why didn't I just know that when 12 days ago I posted that my sore knee after the half mara would only last a day that 12 days later I still wouldn't be able to run more than 2 miles on it? I should be gutted with FLM coming up but I'm really not - not sure why - more disappointed I can't get out for a nice run than worried about the race. Will probably give it til the middle of next week at least now.

100 miles on the bike so far this week - nothing today - aiming to do about 50-60 tomorrow weather permitting, and whatever I have time for on Sunday as Ali is doing a long run on the White Peak mara route.
    Why - can't run and want to suss out part of an audax route I'm doing on June 5th.
  • Options
    Evening all

Enjoy your evening RF - if you haven't gone out already.

Ended up doing the 9.3K course (rejected the longer run as there was a suspicion my guts felt a bit unstable - as it turned out, no problems) in 37:12. Started off at 6:30 pace, last mile in 6:18. Had to concentrate fairly hard though for most of the way. Does make a bit of a difference when you've got the wind behind you coming back home, rather than going out.
    Was colder out than I thought, and I was starting to gunge up again over the last mile.

Popping over to URWFRC now, to find out how well Pantman is recovering.
  • Options
    gym
    sory of 3 miles-tried to base, break for trots(BLOODY VIRUS), then v short intervals to try and make SOME sort of distance

2 bruised toes and a bashed knee
    im accident prone this week
  • Options
    Evening all!

What? 15.5 @ 5:56's (only TM)
    Why? Marathon prep
    Last hard? Last Sunday
    Last rest? 14/2/

Few minor aches in right calf, seems to come and go. Feel another PB beckons (if calf is okay tomorrow).
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Only 5.13 miles done tonight and only 54:09

Stressfuful run
    Warm up 19:58 = 1.84 miles HR 133
    RUN = 0.62 miles @10:10 miling, pressed lap button by mistake so
    further 1.35 miles @ 9:58 pace
    Cool down = 14:27 = 1.32 miles @10:59 pace

Met gang of boys 11/12 years who used the "original banter" 118
    Get those knees up.
    I don't mind some friendly banter, wish they used something more original

Met them twice 1st time one tried to run with me, gave up after 10 metres or so second time, they carried on "setting the pace" their words not mine.
    Heart rate increased to 160.

Anyway rant over

Hippo i've been accident prone lately, not just this week, today i jammed my thumb in a cage at work, walked into a bin, sure i'll have a bruise on my thigh tomorrow

Are you taking anything for your virus, hope it clears soon.
    Take care of yourself now.
  • Options
    Evening.

Need advice

Today, I felt really good. Got on the treadie and did a 5 min slow job warm up, 2.2 mile plod at 4.8 mph (including 2 min jog recovery at 4.5mph) then 5 min walk, then stretch. This took me 30 mins and I'm really pleased I finally got here.

However, I found that the back of my thighs hurt A LOT, even though I could talk to child A throughout. Does anyone know why that is?
  • Options
    pammie, no
    just sleep
    and immodium for symptoms when it gets too bad
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Nicky, I find it's always the case that there's one bit of me which in every run is the limiting factor. As it happens, hams and glutes are it for me too, just at the moment, and like you, it's a rare day when I manage to get anything like out of breath.

Suspect you'll find that in six weeks that bit will be ok, something else will be what hurts to catch your attention.

For the moment, horrible to say, but sometimes slowing down (and yes, I run as slowly or slower than you at the moment) keeps the hurting below a reasonable level. And learning to run in a way with minimum tension, maximum relaxation in the muscles helps (but keep core muscles strong).
  • Options
    N2k
    I found that starting off I could only manage to go for a "run" twice or max 3 times a week. In betweenies was when the aches were subsiding. No pain no gain. You'll soon be able to do 2 miles non-stop running, believe me. But DO listen to your heart. I don't recall if you mentioned about your weight (is body mass index a polite phrase), but heavier people will need much longer to get into the steady running phase. Similarly those who start from a long period of sedentary lifestyle. And you are making progress, DON'T Rush it!

Have you been following the RW "3 novices" articles & threads? Solid advice from trained trainers there.

PS I'm not rude, I want to be helpful, but the written word is not really my best medium. I aim to be positive and encouraging, but honest.

• Options
    Blisters
    thats a fine post