What: 5M easy on grass

Why: race tomorrow

Last hard: Tue

Last rest: Fri

Train well everybody!

Comments

• Options
    Morning all

What: 3 x 7k @ 6:12-6:15 m/m - HR 165-170 hopefully.

Why: build marathon endurance

Last hard: Weds

Last rest: 18 days

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Morning!

What: 10km (6 miles) easy
    Why: Recovery day
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Monday

May I ask your advice on something? I'm running the Rotterdam Marathon in 4 week's time. I think I have done enough distance but am trying to fit in one more long (20 mile plus) run. This weekend we are going away (just as soon as I get back from the run!) so my long run will have to be squeezed in tomorrow afternoon. Next weekend we are running the Hastings Half. After that it will only be two weeks to the race. Last Sunday was my longest run to date - 21 miles.

As I see it my options are:
    a) 20+ miles tomorrow - only a week after last one and may be very difficult to fit in, depending on when we get back
    b) 20+ miles next Saturday - my least favoured option because even though Hastings isn't my main goal I'd like to be fresh for it
    c) Hastings next Sunday morning, an additional run in the afternoon - not sure if that counts as a single long run!
    d) Stick to the half marathon distances for long runs - very worrying as then it would be 5 weeks between my last long one and the marathon.

Please advise!
  • Options
    Ratcatcher, how about 5 mile warm up, Hastings HM then 2 miles warm down? 20 miles including 13 fast. If Hastings is not a main goal then this would be ideal. I generally find trying to `squeeze in' an important run leads to stress and a disappointing run.
  • Options
    Morning

What: Probably nowt

Why: About to sleep for 5 hrs and then out, but racing tomorrow so rest should be a good thing!

Last Hard: Thursday

Last Rest: Monday

Ratcathcer, just read your dilemma and Im not sure what I would do, but I would be thinking in the back of my mind that if 21 miles was my longest run to date and then doing it again the following week it might take its toll!

Hastings is meant to be quite hilly and if cold and windy at the seafront it could be a harder run than we expect ( see you there )

As for running after, not quite the same but depends on how your run went, and if you feel tired after then you have not got your long run in!!

What about something longer in the middle of the week?

Sorry have not helped have I!!

Race well all.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

RC-I did my last long run of 20+ miles for Cardiff 5 weeks before, then didn't go over 15 miles, which you could easily do at Hastings with a mile warm-up and down. I personally don't think it'll affect your time as you've now done the training and as you're racing you'll be adding other stresses to your body. Good luck!

what:nothing but rest

why:March Hare 20 tomorrow if I can sort out my calf discomfort (not injury!). Has anyone ever tried flight socks to run in. I'm thinking they must do a similar job to the ones PR wears and I'm deperate for something to help the deep aches at the moment?!

last hard:Tues

last rest:Wed
  • Options
    Morning

Hilly-I have just purchased flight socks like PR well these are like tight's material made by scholl in Boots 14.00 for 2 pairs in neutrel colour not tried them out, as racing on Sunday but will be testing them all next week so will let you know how my trials go;-)

What; Nothing I am resting as well

Why: Reading half tomorrow I doubt I will see Angelis or Venom as you chaps will be to fast for me

Last hard;Tuesday
    Last rest: Wednesday
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WP-I'm getting some today and am going to try them on my 20 tomorrow. I'm sure they'll look daft, but I need to do something with my calves. I'll let you know if they worked!
  • Options
    Thanks Hilly-I guess we both will look silly but who cares as long as they do the job.
    I have noticed my calves are sore and achy lately and really need massage weekly not fortnightly, but my calves have grown in the last 3 months if they grow any more I won't be able to wear my trousers;-)

I know it is all the training!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I'm feeling absolutely gutted this morning. I was cycling home from work yesterday when some idiot decided to open her car door right in front of me. My left arm is a bit of a mess but what's really worrying me is that the muscle just above my right knee is bruised and swollen.

I wasn't planning to run anyway today, but I don't know how much recovery I'll need. I couldn't run on it today even if I wanted to, but I'm just going to have to take it a day at a time. This is really not what I needed with Wilmslow only 2 weeks away.

Hope everyone else is having a better day!
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers to my dilemma. BR, I should have said I can't do more before or after Hastings because I'm travelling down with Mr RC and meeting friends afterwards, and he'd never agree to doing extra! Pity, because that would have been my preferred option. I'll probably do as you say, Hilly and Speedie. Thanks!
  • Options
    Aardvark that's awful. Hope it's just superficial bruising and that lots of icing will sort it out.

Hilly, WP, hope those calves are better soon. Not something I've ever suffered from.

I'm continuing to do the stretching/strengthening/massage/ice regime. Fingers crossed I can run in four days time!
    Tim, I'm going to try out a new recipe for banana and hazelnut muffins. Will have to earn them by taking the dog for a very long walk!
    Good luck to all the racers, look forward to the reports.
  • Options
    Morning!

Resting up for the Wymondham 20.

Have fun.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Trying to resist the urge to plod after 30 min plod yesterday for the first time since Oct 2003!!! Feel really great and very motivated to continue. A mile is feeling very short nowadays.Even after the 2 miles,I felt I had some more plodding left in me.
  • Options
    Aardvark, that's terrible. I hope you got this idiot's insurance details.

RC, tell Mr RC from me that an extra hour or so spent waiting for you to do an extended warm up is what a devoted hubby should be doing. As for the warm down, youd have been doing that anyway wouldn't you?

Right, can someone dig up some of those posts I've sent to the sick and injured telling them to look on the bright side?

HR driving to the track was 20 beats above normal.

Warm up HR was 140 for a 7:50 mile!!
    Steady HR (155) was a 7:07 mile.

What the hell, I thought, let's give it a go anyway.

The first 2 miles @ 6:17 sent the HR up to 170, so I decided to cut the pace, do 6:25- 6:30 pace and see how it went. Managed 2 x 4 miles of this before I figured doing any more might be counter productive.

Shame as I'd been looking forward to this run all week. Still, as they say, nobody got killed.
  • Options
    Afternoon all !

2:50 today, my longest run of the year ... around and up and down the hills of Bracknell forest. My first "hilly" long run and am knackered - but the trails are better on the body and it meant my good lady could join me on her mountain bike (well for the first half anyway!). Hard to tell distance, 2 weeks ago was 20 miles in 2:33 with a HR average of 144, today was 2:50 with a HR average of 139, so my guess is 20 - 21 miles. All good time on feet anyway.

Good luck to everyone racing ... and BR may bpm declne and the pace return soon.
  • Options
    Aardvark, hope your ok, I expect she thought it was your fault as well

Barbara, banana and hazelnut muffins sound nice, it's a long time since I made any!

RC, I'm with BR on this one!

nicky2k, enjoy your rest day.

BR, you wasted money!
    these things happen, I never know why.

5M run done & a lazy afternoon planned!

• Options
    Afternoon fellow runners!

What? 10m very easy cruising @ 7:40
    Why? 5m race tomorrow
    Last hard? Last Sunday
    Last rest? 14/2/
  • Options
    Afternoon all!

Resting today cause of Lasswade 10 tomorrow.

Good running everyone.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Hope you are ok Aardvark and nothing too serious

Did 6 miles today (1:01:28 avg pace 10:12)

Warmed up and cooled down for 2 miles each
    and 2 fast(er) miles in between 9:30, 9:05.
    Not super fast, but it's moving in the right direction.

Easy run tomorrow

Good luck to all racers tomorrow wherever you may be.
    I hear rumours of a half marathon somewhere west of London!
  • Options
    Another grey day

Aardvark - speedy recovery

BR - one of those days. You know it's just a blip

What; nothing (apart from dog walking)
    Why; saving myself for a PB assault at Reading.
    Last hard; Thursday
    Last rest; Friday

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Aardvark - ouch hope damage is not too serious

What: Rest
    Why: planned + rotten hangover

Good luck all racers - looking forward to the usual Sunday flood of PB's already

:o)

Andy
  • Options
    Morning all,

Nothing today, off for a massage soon. My cut back week has been rather sharper than I intended, but never mind. BT, I know what you mean about the calfs, all these niggles is very annoying. I am doing a mileage that I've never got anywhere near before - perhaps that's what's causing it.

Anyway, I reckon things will be fine for Reading, so just going to have to see how it goes now. WP, hopefully we'll get a chance to say hello at some point (and Angelis, Murf, etc)

Good luck tomorrow Tim, I'm not sure if the guy who normally wins it is racing tomorrow (haven't spoken to him in a few weeks). I'll be suprised if you're outside the top 3 though.
  • Options
    Best of luck all racing tomorrow.

Aardvark, really sorry to hear that. Hope you recover ASAP.

BT, which race are you doing? Best of luck with it.

BR, one of those very rare days, nothing more than an anomaly.

What: 7M easy social run this morning.
    Why: It's the right thing to do on a Sturday morning/
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Friday

Just back from the inter-counties XC race at Wollaton Park, only caught the senior mens 12k. WOW, some seriously great talent, joy to watch.
  • Options
    Afternoon All

WP I hope we will get to meet tomorrow if not during the race then before.

Aardvark take it easy and recovery properly

BR it happens to everybody

Good luck also to others racing tomorrow including Hilly, BT, Venom, Murf and any others missed

MM watched the races on Sky certainly some high quality on show today.

What: 3 miles easy am, 14 miles cycle pm
    Why: tapering for h/m tomorrow

have a good weekend everybody
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Evening all

5 x 1k ( approx ) cross country loops done off 90secs in average 3.23.

Good luck to all racers tomorrow
  • Options
    evening all

looks like a very quiet day

what: nothing
    why: 10K race tomorrow
    last hard day; Tue
    last rest day: Mon

Just went for a walk with the family this afternoon along the Wirral Way, watched England's shocker against Ireland, then gave Matt a 1 mile time trial (something we've done every few months). He's broken through the 7 minute barrier - 6:48 - excellent stuff.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Gosh Mike that's great
  • Options
    Barbara- when are you allowed to start running again?

Hello everyone, did an easy six miles, got Cloud Nine tomorrow.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Aardvark-hope your injuries aren't too serious! Stupid car driver!
  • Options
    Much cake.

Too much noise. A proper party with games at home.

6 x 8 year old girls. 120 minutes.

Ready for re- dehydration.