Options

Saturday 6th March

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just a quick 6 miles for me. Calfs are killing from two hard sessions this week plus alot more mileage than usual. Could really do with some sleep after watching the footy but Iv gotta go a pull pints and mix vodka's at nine until 1am. Good job im not racing tommorrow.

Think il go out in the open and do a long slow 12 miles or so in about 1hr 40.

See what i feel like when i wake up. Good luck to all racers tommorow anyway.

• Options
    blisters you have my sympathy!!

Monique, first run/walk will be on Wednesday. Plan to do it in the morning then see physio pm. Hopefully there will be no reaction, then I'll see how things go from there. Good luck for tomorrow.

MikeS, well done to Matt!
  • Options
    Evening all.

Aardvark - serious ouch, brings back memories of when a similar lune stepped out of the back of a white van and ran across the road in front of me. The police took my bike home (in bits and my Mom and Dad nearly had a heart attack), I was carted off to hospital where I was well wrapped up in bandages. Get well soon (and sue).

Rene - happy headache :-)

What: Rest. Well 21 holes of golf (enjoyed myself so much I did an extra loop.

Why: Last XC of the season tomorrow.

Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Today

I might have to be carried off the course tomorrow - still troubled with lower back pain sending pain spasmn's down legs - but I am going to give it everything.

Good luck to all racers for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Evening everyone:

My marathon preparation's taken another turn for the worse with a slight knee niggle. I know what the problem is (knackered shoes) but got caught out and don't have replacements yet (should arrive monday) so tomorrow's 20 miles at tempo is definately out.

Spent the day at Nottingham watching the intercounties and it was an excellent day with two of my training partners producing the goods, Andy Vernon snatching a surprise 4th in the opening (Under 20 men's race) so probably winning his first GB call up for the world cross, and the day ending with Chris Thompson getting back to third (behind Tromans and Noad) in the senior men's race. I could jog about watching the races, and whilst wasn't in pain, could certainly feel that all was not as should be with the inside of the right knee.
    I think I'll take a rest day tomorrow, hopefully run on monday and if no problems will do the 20 miles on tuesday or wednesday. I'm working nights this week so free during the days.

Terrible luck Aardvark, hope the damage isn't too serious, and Ratcatcher - I would go for BR's approach, if you think you can swing it.

What: 4 miles sporadic jogging
    Why: Watching intercounties cross country
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Thursday
  • Options
    Bad luck with the trainers, Mike. Did they not have a stall at the intercounties to buy any?

To round off a perfect day, the trainers I did the abortive session in this am were the ones I was breaking in for FLM. I NEVER get blisters, except today where I've got a really juicy one on my little toe.

Well done MattS.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Feeling a bit better about things now - I've been out for a walk today and it seems to be only bruising, nothing more serious.

The driver has admitted responsibility (not that there was much doubt about it!) so sorting out compensation shouldn't be too much of a problem. Amazingly, my bike seems to have come out of it with barely a scratch, while her car door is a write-off!

Don't know what I'll do about running tomorrow - if the knee feels ok I'll test it out with something gentle in the morning, but I'll just have to wait and see - which is really frustrating, especially as my race number for Wilmslow just turned up today.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What - did the first two stages of an audax ride - didn't get to ride back as got a flat and the pump chose this moment to give up the ghost so had to wait for a lift - still got 45 miles in so not so bad.
    Plus found an excellent cafe in Hathersage which does eccles cakes the size of a saucer for 60 pence.

Why - Still resting knee - if feels OK day to day but then it did midweek and couldn't cope with a 3 mile run. Plan to test it out again on Wednesday with maybe just a one mile run and see how it goes.

Good luck anyone racing tomorrow. Anyone been in contact with Pantman - is he OK?
  • Options
    On the mend - taking grapes. There's a thread on URWFC about him.
  • Options
    So what's happened? It's 10pm and only 37 posts. Perhaps everyone is getting some shuteye before races tomrrow. If so, good luck.

RT you probably don't need the extra run, it's that close. If it's for the confidence boost then think BR's suggestion was the best option. Now?? take a well earned rest! :-) (You might upset the Mrs)

Aardwark; I used to cycle long distances to and from work and found it invaluable for maintaining base stamina. As you have found, it has it's drawbacks because of unthinking road users. Lets just hope its less than it appears.

BR; first below,(your) standard training run. I'll treat you to the next session, as long as I'm there and you toe me 'round.

Donaldo and others, as have said, race well.

Stifler; ???quick 6m???

Sodahead; 21 holes!! A glutton for punishment by anyone's thinking>

Did 99mins on the dreaded Treadmill, ( note capital letter to give it respect lest it turns on me).
    On mph I averaged 10.2 giving me a mileage of 16.8. But I think the km is the better more accurate guage and with the use of a calculator I reckon I was doing around 9.2mph giving me a mileage of just over 15m. Factor in the flat as a pancake run, no wind etc., ......difficult to guess what this equates to.

BR Grapes??? Is that wine??!!
  • Options
    Good luck and best wishes to all racers and trainers tomorrow.
    Did 24 miles today in 3:01 was happy with todays run with at least 11 mile of the run uphill, on some parts of the run the snow was still there ( mind you it does snow in June at the top of a village called Queensbury). I did 18.5 last week and struggled from 11 miles. Much better prepaired this week and have learnt that if you do not respect the distance and prepare properly it comes back and bites you on the a***.
    Good luck and good running every body.
    G.
  • Options
    Nice one Treadmill! Did a similar session this week. The Treadmill world record for 26.2 is only 2:37 (~10mph) :)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Only!!!!

Decided to get some inspiration tonight, just finished watching paula (again) race that 10,000 metre race in Munich a few years back.

Magic
  • Options
    long session today,no running,planned rest day ,4 hours on guitar instead,3x10 min skipping with 2 min breaks,10 min in 2 min rounds on punch bag, with 30 sit ups in between and my first beer for 14 days.
  • Options
    Lyrics, Land Of Shame by Spear of Destiny