Options

Saturday 13th March

2»

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon All

Nice easy day for me today, as I have the Hastings half tomorrow.

What: 5K Easy
    Why: Keep the legs loose for Tomorrow

Last Hard: Thursday speed session
    Last rest: Tuesday

Good luck all for the weekend!

LL
  • Options
    Afternoon all...........

What: nothing!
    Why: resting prior to Fleet Half tomorrow
    Last rest: Tues
    Last hard: Sunday

Enjoyable day of carbo loading today- bought a home made banana and walnut cake and already eaten half of it :-)

Can anyone offer advice for my Half tomorrow? I'm not sure whether to rely purely on water from water stations during the race or to carry some energy gel/drink. I'm hoping for 1:20ish so it's not like I'm going to be on my feel for ages but I don't want to run out of steam at 10 miles!

Thanks
  • Options
    Back from my 3 x 1mile @ 1/2 marathon pace. All went well enough, really nice & sunny but a little windy.

BR, it's City Pier next weekend then three weekends in South Africa :-)
    Will be up in London on the 18th April site-seeing!
    May I've lined up some fast 10K's to make the most of altitude training, may not race them all but having enterd them I have options!

LynneW, it all time on your feet so well done.

Swerve, your right I'd never thought of that! my excuse is I'm in SA though!
    Also supprised BR didn't spot them as
    "Pride [in the name of love]" by U2

Race well at Hasting's, Speedie & Long legs, hopefully today I was running with the first Brit home tomorrow! Mike Coleman.

Candy, why the long run? I'm interested as I've thought of it myself.
  • Options
    Exile, I thought of using energy gels next weekend in CPC but realised that at sub 6min miles it would be very hard to get them open & drink the water.
    I'm just planning to carbo-load well the day before.
    I've been up to 21 mile in training though with no problems.

Race well tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thanks Tim- I was thinking of starting off running with one of the Lucozade Sports cartons and chucking about half way round.

They're fairly easy to use on the run but I don't know it they actually make much difference on top of normal carbo loading.

I've raced up to 10 miles on water without problems but I'd hate to blow up towards then end!
  • Options
    Afternoon.

What: 30 minute plod in ever-thickening snow fall.

And I was hoping that the snowy days were in the past, ha! Still, the snow and ice slickness reinforces the slow pace as a safety precaution, which is all a part of my strategy to get back some fitness before I can *really* go running in a month's time when I'm BACK HOME!!!

• Options
    Exile, that sounds the best option.

Hildy, something is better than nothing :-)
  • Options
    M well done on that 20 miler, thats great stuff especialy as you found it hard going from the 4th mile, enjoy the relaxing evening ahead ( hopefully )

Thanks for the good luck BT!

Longlegs hope all goes well tomorrow and im praying for good conditions!
  • Options
    As your still online BT!

I actually went to book up for CPC a couple of weeks back, but got no reply back from them to see if spaces were available, too late now as I had to arrange a couple of days off work:-(
  • Options
    Tim, `You too' were the first two words of my post:-) - didn't want to jump in straight away with `U2'!

Exile, no gels needed for a HM. In fact I usually get round with no water as well. Take on a few sips of water if it helps. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    Taper taper taper taper.

Target HM tomorrow. (Me too!)

The forecast sounds like we'll get a proper bath at Bath. How fast can one run with an umbrella? No, I thought not.

After the low mileage/high intensity blasts over the past couple of days the muscles at the top of my legs are aching a teeny bit. I hope it's paranoia. What are those bits called, at the point where your front pockets end?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    60 miles on bike am up round Matlock, Beeley, Chesterfield, Ashover and back - had a quick bite to eat and then down the footy, first 30 minutes my vision went funny - couldn't focus at all - which did rather spoil the match - had half a bottle of red wine in my cycling bottle with me and drinking this seemed to sort things out. Think I was probably short on food. And we won 1-0, Peschisolido!

Why - still can't run
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Sorry the interrupt your forum, I just wanted to let you know that I had that unfortunate experience of running 26 miles with a thermometer up my bum last Friday, when I ran a marathon on a treadmill in a freezer set to -26 degrees. The doc told me they needed to monitor my core body temperature but I didn't expect this. It wasn't too bad. – check out www.michelobultra.co.uk

I completed the freezer marathon in a time of 4 hours and 8 minutes. Things went really well and I am quietly confident for the North Pole Marathon that is now under a month away! The fact that I am typing this means that I didn’t lose any fingers to frostbite and the rest of me is fine too, apart from a little bit of cold damage on one of my toes which should be okay in a few days.

My kit worked well and my legs felt good. The cold wasn’t really an issue as I generated lots of body heat. In fact the most uncomfortable part of the run was the probe they used to measure my core body temperature. (You can use your imagination to figure out how I carried it!!) Running with that for 4 hours is an experience I won’t want to repeat in a hurry!

The run was a great learning experience and when things started to get tough at mile 22, I drew on all your kind words of support and encouragement to help get me through. Thank you.

For those of you who missed it on the TV, you can see lots of footage on the website; www.michelobultra.co.uk.

It is also the last week of voting (voting closes at 12:00 Midnight, Sunday 15th). If you can please put in a final big push and keep voting for me whilst there it would be top! (See instructions below).

Take care and have great week,

Noel.

P.S. If any of you did manage to record it, I would love a copy of the tape, I haven’t seen anything yet!
  • Options
    BR, I never get the cryptic clues!
    but I can see it now, I thought you were asking something else :-)

Speedie, the email address they have posted is missing a
    which makes a lot of difference!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    3 miles easy with a few fast bursts, loosening up for tomorrow's 20 mile race.

Once again the East Hull 20 is to be blessed it seems with 20+mph winds and showers. Worst aspect is that the wind direction means we will be straight into the wind for most of the last 11 miles. Charming! I will spend the alst few miles looking forward to a pie and cup of tea in the host club's HQ.

See you at the start BR.
  • Options
    ...In the name of love....

What: 7 miles fairly quick

Why: Had to be at work at 12, just adding some mileage.

Last Hard: Thursday

Last rest: 20 days

Roll on 'sunday, bloody sunday'
  • Options
    evening all

So you're going to be racing after all then Swerve?

1 mile warm-up - muscles stiff & creaky, then 1 mile home in 5:34...hmmmm...even allowing for the fact I wasn't absolutely flat out, I expected to go faster. Still, haven't done anything like this for a long time.
    Hope the legs feel a bit looser for tomorrow's race.

• Options
    Evening All

Like most others apart from M doing another 20 miler I am in tapering mode for race tomorrow.

What: 5 miles very easy

Have a good race or run everybody tomorrow
  • Options
    Logged another easy 6m in the afternoon (~1h). *Gulp* booked my trip to Boston, there is no going back now! In the meanwhile I dream of warm temperatures and a tail wind.
  • Options
    Did another 5.5 miles tonight as weight has gone up to 10st 9 instead of 10st 4 to 7 range.

Wardi, I'll be aiming for 2:10 to 2:15 at no more than 170HR so we'll probably see quite a lot of each other.
  • Options
    Good to see some peeps hopping off the bench. I managed to drag myself off today and run wasn't too bad.

Heart rate kept racing up to 180 on the hills so had to walk for 30second spells. Strangely, I was able to run really hard on the homeward stretch (mostly downhill or flat) without a HR blow up. Do we really expend so much less energy going downhill?

Felt pretty good on the run but head cold symptoms soon returned in full force this afternoon. Proves that above the neck probs don't nec. force time out tho.

What: 7.5miles
    Why: feeling things out

Good health vibes to those still on the bench..........

A marathon in a freezer 1 month before the real thing? Isn't that cutting it a bit fine? (won't go on about the possibility that you are completely crazy, I'm sure you've heard it all before Noel!)
  • Options
    Popsider, I take it you were watching not playing? Or is red wine the new half time bevvy?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Respect Noel-you're brave. Don't think I'd fancy running in a freezer and especailly with a probe!

Good luck in the N.Pole Marathon!
  • Options
    Is there a big field lined up for the NP Marathon then?

What's the crowd support out on the course like?

;o)

Heard about the freezer run on the news, an achievement in its own right, good luck for the real thing.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Thakns for the support. There is actually about 18 people runningin the pole now. I was the first to sign up but I am amoung very distinguished company.

Steven Seaton,
    Ran Finnes
    A couple of olympic atheletes

I just hope to finish!

As for crowd support. Well there will be the russian military and Polar Bears!!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

Just completed 01:40 run for just over 11.22mi. AveHR about LT-20.

Kept HR steady at LT-15, ran 3 sets of 2Miles.
    Set1: 7:55/mile
    Set2: 8:03/mile
    Set3: 8:01/mile

Third set looks unusual but I sort of 'forgot' about Pose running hence relaxed and ran better.

Right - time to read the thread....

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BR: You'll soon burn off that weight.

Ratcatcher & LizzyB: I'm planning on doing the Reykjavik HM - North Pole is too uber for me! Would like to combine it with a short family holiday. Any tips or hints would be much appreciated.

WelshPoppy: Oh dear! Just a thought but are you trying too hard? How about a complete rest? Just wondering.

TT: I've had sore calfs this last week. Have been taking it very easy.

For those who have flu/colds: I've been reading Noakes' LOR. When he spoke about tapering he showed that people who did short sharp bouts of high intensity training during the period performed much better then those who just did nowt. In fact he advocated doing this sort of 'taper' periodically even though you don't have a race. Do you feel well enough to do this, perhaps?

Bod: 69m? - Rock On!

URR: See you tomorrow at Brentwood HM.

LynneW: I envy you. All I see on my roads are cars, traffic lights, pavements....:-(

M: Nice one on the 20miler!

NE: I started to run out of steam at 10 miles at Reading last week. I should have drank at the water stations. Don't think I personally would have the need to carry any drink with me.

Good luck to all racers tomorrow and best wishes to those still injured.