Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    Not great news from me...Walked ran the parkrun in over 40 minutes...Hip reacted to the running part..So back on the anti inflammatories and resting... So no more running for me...Hoping that the steriod injection on the 11th may sorts it all out
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

seren nos - that is so frustrating - really hoping that injection delivers the result you need.

Terry - Hermes has not been on your side this year - sorry things have not worked out, but that itinerary looks fantastic. Do you have an eye on any particular marathon for September? I am popping over to Detroit in October, like you I want to qualify early for 2018.

After a visit to the chemist I was shocked that they recommended I commence eating normally again immediately to help work things through? A consequent browse of the NHS site advised a first step of soup and after some watered down French onion I think I may be cured, although I'm not totally convinced.

I found a great deal on a hotel room in the MK Dons Stadium with a pitch view; 3 course meal the night before, breakfast and a 5pm late check-out. All I have to do is wander out onto the start line and sub-5 it :)

I'm wondering if I should risk salty pretzels and Guinness as I watch London with my feet up tomorrow - I must be cured! Thanks for the best wishes all.

• Options
    Abingdon is a good flat early qualifier for October
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    +1 for Abingdon.  That's where I ran my first Comrades qualifier.  I'm aiming at Poznan this year, all being well.
  • Options
    Becca - I read that as Prozac :) . Whatever gets you round...
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hope it doesn't have to come to that, RR.
  • Options
    Ooh. All this talk of next year!!! I actually have a reminder on my phone on May 1st to enter a marathon for qualifying for Comrades as I was going to do 2018 as my first :)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri)
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, Dannirr, lowrez
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck

Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri2nd13:15)
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne, Running Rodent, Southern Snail
    South African - marty74

27Aug Qualification Opens
    06Sep
    Border Masters (M) WarrenK78-Q2:37-PenA
    18Sep
    Kent Coyote (M) Mango-Chillie-Q4:26-PenG
    09Oct
    Chicago (M) becca7-Q3:35-PenC, Matt..-Q3:06-PenB
    09Oct Munich (M) Mac3-Q3:13-PenB
    23Oct Abingdon (M) Southern Snail-Q4:22-PenG, seren nos-Q4:39-PenG, Slow Duck-Q4:35-PenG
    30Oct Frankfurt (M) caashford-Q2:30-PenA
    05Nov Thames Meander (M) marty74-Q3:18-PenB
    04Dec
    California International (M) Dannirr-Q4:28-PenG
    18Dec Portsmouth Coastal (M) Mr Zuvai-Q4:25-PenG, Running Rodent-Q4:33-PenG, Peter R-Q3:21-PenB
    05Feb
    Gloucester (M) Odeon1085-Q3:10-PenA
    23Apr London (M) Odeon1085
    23Apr Benoni (M) Bike It
    01May
    Milton Keynes (M) lowrez
    02May Qualification and Race4Charity(PenCC) Closes
    04Jun
    Comrades

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hope the above is correct for London etc and that I only chopped out non-qualifying history :) 

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    SS - so 2018 for your back-to-back then :)
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I'm injured and it wasn't through running for a change.  I cut my hand with the propeller of a model aircraft engine.  Amateur error.  Hopefully I can be better at running than not putting my hand in a rotating propeller.  Bed now and up before 3 for the drive to the race which starts at 6:30.  The weekend has already been great for me as my son scored 2 tries in rugby today after playing for a few months.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It - good luck for tomorrow, you are a master strategist (even with missing fingers) hope your race plan goes perfectly. Brilliant playing by your son :) I have great memories of my son (who is now 21) at the age of 12 saving 3 penalties in a row in a 5 shot shoot-out to keep his team in the cup, golden stuff! 
  • Options
    lowrez, you chopped out both of mine!
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry Debra! I chopped everything from the last post some time ago that didn't have results recorded - I can see you ran the Heartbreaker and Boston UK - which one was your qualifier and what time did you do?
  • Options

seren nos, sympathies. That's very, very frustrating.

Hm, early qualifier for next year sounds sensible. When can we start? Of course, I -had- intended to qualify in December this time around but then lost 8 weeks to cuboid syndrome (would probably only have been 2 weeks if diagnosed properly to start with). And I'd rather like to spend some time adding in more speed work, carefully, and seeing if I can go sub-3:45 or even sub-3:40. But first to get to and through Comrades uninjured!

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Debra - running a qualifier from September onwards is usually pretty safe. This year's qualification period started on 27th August last year.
  • Options

I ran Marathon Day marathon on 26th Feb (rather than Heartbreaker) and qualified with 3:59 (D). I also ran Boston (Lincs) last Monday in 3:54 - which would give me pen D again, so I don't think I need to inform them?

Thanks for the info about qualifying dates.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Hello all.  

Firstly, thank you for the good wishes and inquiries while I was off at Marathon des Sables.  I finished it in good spirits, a lot slower than I ever thought.  To say it was epic would be an understatement, but as much as I enjoyed it, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.  I was very well trained, and it was a daily battle to get though the stage.   For those interested, I'll link to a full report in the near future.

As for Comrades:  I'm probably not going to run this year.  The reasons are two fold.  I picked up an injury two weeks before MdS that is not healed, and I need it to heal properly - meaning I need to not run at all.  Secondly, I need to rest well before a hard training program for Berlin.  The timing go Comrades is a problem of that.   Having said all that - I will go to Durban as a supporter for sure, and if I am well healed, I might take a stab at the run knowing that I will withdraw if things are not good.

lowrez - I sent you a fb message, hope you saw it.

RR, Becca - thank you so much for your messages re:MdS.  
  • Options
    Hello Lowrez, on two occasions I've had the misfortune of having the squits in the last few days before a marathons, the first I ate my way through it the second was  24 hrs on energy drinks  both occsasions I ran PB's, make of that what you will.  Good luck for tomorrow. 

Well I said i'd be back later and on account of spilling a cup of coffee over the keyboard it's a lot later than intended.  In addition to that having got hold of a keyboard the shower pump sprang a leak and water came through the ceiling onto the kitchen table, you guessed it, onto the keyboard.  So I hvig one keyord with 5 letter keys thst do't wok d oe with severl keys which whe depressed type 2 or 3 letters t oce like rthisa...........
  • Options
    Dannirr - a massive well done. Look forward to reading a full race report

Bike It - good luck for tomorrow. The only time my son decided to get well and truly stuck into rugby we ended up in hospital with a broken collarbone  :|

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri)
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, Dannirr, lowrez
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck

Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri2nd13:15)
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne, Running Rodent, Southern Snail
    South African - marty74

27Aug Qualification Opens
    06Sep
    Border Masters (M) WarrenK78-Q2:37-PenA
    10Sep
    Jungfrau (M) Mac3-Q4:32-PenG
    18Sep Kent Coyote (M) Mango-Chillie-Q4:26-PenG
    09Oct
    Chicago (M) becca7-Q3:35-PenC, Matt..-Q3:06-PenB
    09Oct Munich (M) Mac3-Q3:13-PenB
    23Oct Abingdon (M) Southern Snail-Q4:22-PenG, seren nos-Q4:39-PenG, Slow Duck-Q4:35-PenG
    30Oct Frankfurt (M) caashford-Q2:30-PenA
    05Nov Thames Meander (M) marty74-Q3:18-PenB
    04Dec
    California International (M) Dannirr-Q4:28-PenG
    18Dec Portsmouth Coastal (M) Mr Zuvai-Q4:25-PenG, Running Rodent-Q4:33-PenG, Peter R-Q3:21-PenB
    05Feb
    Gloucester (M) Odeon1085-Q3:10-PenA
    26Feb Marathon Day (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:59-PenD

23Apr London (M) Odeon1085
    23Apr Benoni (M) Bike It
    01May
    Milton Keynes (M) lowrez
    02May Qualification and Race4Charity(PenCC) Closes
    04Jun
    Comrades

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - :) amazing feat of endurance - sorry you have been carrying an injury - it makes the mds result even more remarkable :) . I haven't been on fb for a couple of days - will trundle over there now.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Jelly Bean - I love the way your post decayed into unintelligible roof leak keyboardish.

You remind me I ran the Preston Guild Marathon in 2012 (only once every 20 years) having taken 4 Imodium which worked perfectly. Can report that its not over yet - having partaken of some food earlier today it is leaving earlier than expected! Chemist said that if I'm still not right on Monday I need medical help... many have said I need medical help for years!

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    3:55 today which is reflective of where I am in running terms - no speed and even less endurance.  But that is more or less what I expected after only 2 weeks of proper running.  I already had told myself not to go for a C seeding as I was sure it would be unachievable given my condition.  However I was seeing paces that were within C seeding for the first half, but was certain that the pace would be unsustainable.  I went through half in 1:51  The second half was immediately difficult and I progressively slowed as well as taking some mini-walk-breaks from 9km to go.  By the end I was just a running calculator, working out by how much I could slow and still get a sub-4.

Not surprising a PW (Personal Worst) for me - or let's better say a come-back PB

I'm not immediately sure that I will run Comrades.  I had to push myself in the second half today as hard as last stages of Comrades and I can't imaging that for up to 12 hours. I'll have to be a lot fitter so will judge later.

The course itself was undulating with probably 200m elevation and one horrible section on twisting concrete path in a golf course.  It's the marathon I've done with the most turns and also the most potholes.  On a positive note though the marshalling was brilliant.

Highlights were flybys by White Ibis, Hadeda and 2 male Peacocks on the course.  Also I got to run across Miles Smart street, by which time they were beginning to smart I can tell you.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Bike It! Nice time given your recent hassles. With that, you can hardly decide to not run Comrades - you'll smash it!
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It - Superb result :) that is so, so good given the troubles you've had in the past year. I agree the perspective should be a pb comeback. If you were to run Comrades on a 12 hour target I doubt you would be pushing that hard in the second half; its obviously a very long day down at this mark but the running is not the most arduous I have ever done (providing you don't get into time troubles).
  • Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done Bike It! 

Lowrez, came on to see if you qualified today only to realise MK is next week, lots of time for things to sort themselves. 

My  last post took me ages to edit and in the end I gave up and went out today and bought a new laptop.  The old one was 6 years old, battery lasted 10 mins and it took for ever to do anything on it.  I needed a nudge.  Just have to get used to the new one now.

It's been an expensive week, I replaced my shoe's and went out and ran 11.5m in the new ones.  There have been 4 editions since  I bought the last pair so it was about time.  I thought they were a bit tight and hard for a few miles which showed me just how clapped out the old ones were.  I'll find out on Tuesday if they make the long runs a bit more comfortable.  Time was I wouldn't do a long run in a shoe that had done more than 200m but I've got a bit slack.

• Options

Dannirr: Well done for MsD, and good luck for getting your injury sorted. It's not easy to accept that real rest and no running is required.

jelly bean: sympathies for the computer keyboard problems. Do be careful going out for a long run in the new shoes so soon after starting to wear them. I went to the 1/2-day Marathon Medicine conference on Saturday and a sudden change in shoes was one of the things mentioned as being associated with increased injury risk.

Bike It: Definitely best to think of it as your comeback PB! Sounds like an 'interesting' course, and I appreciated the details on the avian fly-bys!

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice one BI. Definitely a step on the road to improvement and Comrades ;)

Did my loooong run for the campaign this weekend and felt good at the end, tired, but good :)

And with regards those supporter bus times, they sound really early to get to PM. Its only 30 minutes after the start and possibly only about 15 minutes after the last runner has crossed the start line!!! I know there will be traffic but it sounds excessive. I wondered if there were any other options since have a supporter with me for the first time.

Dannir - sorry to hear about Comrades this year but probably a wise decision. Running injured would only make it worse and be out for longer. Still you can call us all in at the end at PM instead!!!