Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Ah good, just in time then to wish you a great race tomorrow! I knew the race was on Saturday but thought today was already Saturday (duh) :) . That is either senility setting in, or the effect of ongoing chaos in our house with 4 very young grandkids in the house - two of whom for a whole week already.  I'm looking forward to the sanity of getting out to Boston on Monday!
  • Options
    Good luck Lowrez 

do do we not pick up the championchip in Durban for comrades? How come you have yours already Lowrez 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. I have had several moments on the way out here where I thought I too had got the days all wrong. I always write a list so I can recheck my sanity in moments like that. Still sane for now! S-S you can keep your chip from year to year if you want. I have. Equally you can get a new one each time. They are not expensive. So if you don't currently have a championChip you will indeed get one at the Comrades Expo
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Breaking the "don't do anything different" rule - having springbok penne for tea.
  • Options
    I carefully collected my Champion Chip last year at the Comrades Expo and brought it back with me, and will be taking it out with me this year. I thought you had to order one in advance if you didn't already have one
  • Options
    Oh now I'm worried whether I've ordered one. How do I check?
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Logon like you did to check charities it is in there somewhere - but even if you turn up on the day not having ordered one you can still get one there and then. You can't run without one, they check the one you bring or the one they provide to make sure its working and they replace it if not. So if you simply don't have one you buy one from them
  • Options
    Ok panic over.

haven't run all week since trail marathon as legs sore. Took dogs for a long walk today (9miles) and am wiped out. Few more days off I think.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Best Wishes Lowrez tomorrow. I'm certainly am glad Terry mentioned it as I thought it was Sunday despite having heard radio ads all week promoting people stopwatch on TV.

Slightly nervous as it is my qualifier next week and my Mum is here and has developed gastroenteritis.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I have done very little since Manchester, just put in a mile walking to a local gas station for powerade - exhausted too! Kip time :)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks bike it :) terrible thing to say but mum needs to go into quarantine!
  • Options
    Eek - quick, Bike It, spray your mum with disinfectant and put her in quarantine! 

Update from the desert - Dannir and Nodster have finished! They have a short 'fun run' for charity tomorrow, but in effect they're done and they have their medals
  • Options
    Bike it - stay clear of your mum :/

Big respect to Dannirr and Nodster
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    RR superb news! Danni I mean, not the disinfectant, gives me much grit for tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Danirr, what an inspiration!
  • Options
    Dannir, congrats - well done you!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Much respect Danirr. Fantastic achievement :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra, what colours will you be wearing on Monday so I can watch for you? (Comrades cap?). I'll be in Stamford Striders vest, blue and yellow, probably Comrades cap, unless miraculously sunny, in which case my 'sahara' cap. Look forward to seeing you. I don't know of any other of our RW crew running Boston UK. Becca, have a great race and a good visit to the other Boston!
  • Options
    Yellow and green Striders of Croydon top - long sleeved, I think, given the weather forecast (and probably lightweight yellow and black windproof to start, as I hate running cold, then it will go round my waist*). Comrades cap perhaps if I can find it, with this year's badge on it.

Must work out best waist pack for carrying my Kendal mint cake and home-made energy balls.

*I've been spoilt by running SVN events where I can simply add and remove layers as I please every few miles!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra, yes weather on the day may give me a bit of a 'dress' dilemma. I might add a long sleeved yellow shirt under the Striders vest, or in the worst case, perhaps a light windproof.
  • Options
    Ha, so glad I'm not the only one who has clothes dilemmas when it comes to running. Far more stressful than the running itself!!!! Enjoy 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    And so to Milton Keynes... Haven't looked at the official record but I think I clocked something like 7:07 forgot to stop my watch after the finish. It's a weird lonely place nothing official happens they even abandon the finish chute... I could have had 38 cokes - ha ha - but I went to the beer tent which is the furthest away you could imagine from the finish. I really gave it my best shot didn't bag enough for my pathetic hill climbing speed in the first half came through the marathon mark in about 5:19 which is where I lost it I think. Not that disappointed actually, what an epic run, the views are incredible. Everyone has to do this! Good luck in the Bostons all :)
  • Options
    Lowrez - sorry to hear you didn't make the cut off. It's a bit harsh just wandering off and leaving the runners to it :/ Glad you enjoyed the run and its good Comrades training. Onwards and upwards to Milton Keynes (presume you have an entry). There nothing like keeping us on the edge of our seats :)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks S-S, yes booked MK straight after the Manchester crash. Coach Parry said if I didn't make it today MK should be a lot easier to achieve than my other attempts so far. Definitely a good training run here today if nothing else :)
  • Options
    Sorry to hear lowers...When is Milton Keynes...Another week for me without running... Physio Tuesday..Still got lots of revision done...Good luck all running this eeekend
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks seren - typical bloke not paying attention - what are you revising for? MK is 1st May - the day before qualification closes - ooo the drama of it all :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, sorry you didn't make the cutoff - but coach Parry is right.  MK is flat and ever so much easier than the first 42k of TO (I know, I did TO back in the dark ages of 1978. And, the last 14k of TO is very tough at that late stage of the race).  Have a few days total rest, stay positive after that good training run and I'm sure you'll smash it in MK.

On the upside, I'm glad you enjoyed the spectacular scenery.  Just a shame that the finish area was sub-standard.  Comrades certainly leaves that in the shade, even when you finish a minute late like I did last year!
  • Options
    Lowrez, sympathies for that - and good lick for Milton Keynes. Glad you were able to enjoy the views, at least.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Terry - I wonder if I ran in your footsteps - they made great play in the literature of 4 years hard work to restore the route to its original glory. Coming over Chapman's Peak was amazing; after the relative sheltered effort of the climb I was virtually swept off my feet by the swirling Atlantic breeze initially frustrated that it was head on and downward progress was laboured but then evolving into the immense joy of clattering down the further drops even having the wind swirl behind and almost lift me off my feet in places. Brought back vivid memories of my descent of Fields Hill last year. I was clattering past people but ultimately there would always be another hill to slow me up again. Loved the day, a great, great run. First time have seen marshals offering salt straight out the container - I took 3 hits - seemed to bring me back from struggling to flowing each time. Thanks Debra - MK here I come! Go Terry go!
  • Options
    Lowrez . I went back to uni 18 mths ago and so I'm in my second year of Accountancy and finance degree.....One of the oldest students on Campus. 
    Luckily my Uni does its exams earlier than the majority and so I have my exams the first three weeks of May and so will have a week off then to pack and get ready for our 5 week trip  :)
     working out perfectly parat from not being able to run or train at all... and putting on weight...:) :)
    At least i can revise more as no running  :)