Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Slow Duck wrote (see)

Passatore

Have you been hiding a passion for ballroom dancing SD?

Well done on The Stones RR and Becca - are we bonkers for running or what? Have you done Canalathon before Becca? I loved it this year, good test for my crew for LLC too. If I can crack LLC in 29 hours it should qualify me for Spartathlon image.

Re my second 10 lethargy, my physio said "bananas" this evening, not sure if she suddenly identified the root of my psyche or was giving me nutritional advice.  

• Options

I don't know how I'm going to make it round a marathon, never mind Comrades and you all seem to have done/be about to do rather long races.image

Hope its not catchingimage

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

The only slightly annoying for me about the new date is the fact that currently Comrades falls about the time of the last bank holiday in May, so means 1 more day to have to take off work.

SS - You will be fine running a marathon and then Comrades and in answer to your question, Yes it is catchingimage

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Video footage of this year's start has been released: http://www.bonitas.co.za/comrades/ can you find yourself (note: I can't find myself! I was in a Bonitas sack wearing a Comrades cap - ha ha - I stick out like a sore thumb!)

SS - before last year I had not run further than a marathon, and my longest training run was a very sluggish 28 miles 3 weeks prior to the event, clocked a first timer's up run of 11h52m being dead careful to cover the ground evenly and make it to the end intact - it was an amazing day. After qualifying in a marathon in September I didn't actually start running "long" until the New Year slowly building up on the long Sunday run by a couple of miles per week until I reached that 28. I wouldn't necessarily recommend my approach (it was extremely laid back in comparison to most) but as Marty says you will be fine image   

• Options

managed to do the lakeland 50 on the weekend despite no training.......surprised myself and got a PB and my first sub 16 hours for the course.....: and could have gone faster but walked one section in teh dark to help some struggling 100 milers......

but the lack of training has shown in the recovery as my quads are shot.still struggling with walking......

But feeling positive that i can start building up soon for my abingdon qualifying attempt... image

• Options

Seren - Well done. Amazing with no training. But good training for next year and you'll romp home in Abingdon. ????

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Ironman 70.3 Budapest done this weekend, including the half marathon in 1.39 which is close to a pb.  Full IM in Langkawi to train for now, which is in November before the Comrades training starts again.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well done Peter!  

• Options

Just a quick question, I usually use other races as a build up to a years A race.  I am going to crack Country to Capital in 2017 in prep for Comrades are there any other races that people really recommend for a good build up to this race?  Something long, undulating and not within a month of the race would be ideal.  All suggestions welcome, currently based around Wiltshire way but happy to travel for as long as the race ill take if that makes sense?

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

ZO - I like Winter Tanners but that's January and might be a bit close to Comrades. Charnwood Marathon is nicely undulating and the hills are similar to the Comrades hills in steepness.  Lots do Compton over Easter Weekend but it's never fitted in with my plans. 

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

The North Dorset Marathon is early May that's a good one.

• Options

ZO; SDW50? Early April - I want to do it but have to go to a conference for work that weekend instead. Frustrating.

In other news... I'm running again! I've finally blogged about not-running Comrades - my not-race report is at https://runningape.wordpress.com/ - also another blog post about getting back to running.

Wondering how not-sensible it would be to aim for Beachy Head Marathon at the end of October (for fun, not for a Comrades qualifier)... And then I guess I'll be looking for a nice little (low key) marathon in January again, or possibly earlier.

• Options

I was thinking of doing Rhyader 20... on road and hilly and beautiful.not that long but could add some miles on  image

I ran Saturday and Tuesday and I'm going to run tonight......so already starting to get back into a routine....

In other news hubby has had permission for 5 weeks off work and we have cashed in our long term savings bonds so I have been busy planning the whole trip.....

a really good incentive to start training....just got to remember to enter the race   image

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Rhayader is a good one - undulating with a nice long hill at one point. 

• Options

Hi All

Sorry for jumping in on the conversation!!

I'm planing on giving CM 2017 a go and was wondering whether the qualifying race (if done in the UK) has to be IAAF certified?

Or can you do another race as long as you complete the distance under the time stated on the CM website?

For example, i'm thinking whether one of the Endurancelife Ultras would be acceptable?

Also, how far in advance do you need to book hotels in Durban?

Thanks in advance!

• Options

Hi Matt, Welcome! Pretty much any official marathon or ultra should be fine. I did the Saxons, Vikings and Normans Dymchurch Marathon and that was accepted. Ensurance life events tend to be over rather than under stated distance- at least, that's my experience from the Sussex Coastal Trail series earlier this year.

Regarding hotels, it depends on the hotel. Rooms in the Hilton get pricy, while e.g. Belaire Suites (on the coast, very comfortable) stays much more reasonable - book through e.g. Booking.com and you can cancel any time to three days before without penalty, so if a better offer comes up you can always switch. Now if you wanted to book a hotel in Pietermaritzburg... you're probably a couple of months too late!

• Options

Just thought I'd say hi as I'm planning on running this next year.

And ZO, if you're still interested, another vote for the SDW50 looking like a decent practice run . If you're thinking about it, I don't think there are many places left.  I've not run it, but I've run a few other of Centurion's events and they're very well organised.

• Options

Debra, thank you for the response, good to know!! yes, the endurance life events are sneaky like that. Actually managed to book a place in Pietermaritzburg this morning!!

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Welcome Matt and Nick. Glad you are both on boardimage

I'm looking at Rhayader for next year, not run it before but nice its on a Saturday though.

Debra - glad you are well on the mend. Beachy Head is a lovely race, if you take it easy enough. The views coming over the seven sisters at around 21 miles are amazing.

I certainly wouldn't dream of running 50 miles in training for Comrades but everyone's different. Guess it depends how quickly your body recovers

Not long now till we all can pay our money for another year.....image

• Options

marty:thanks. Yes, I've done Beachy Head before (that WIND!)  and enjoye it. I'm just trying to decide whether working up form my present level (9-mile LSR last weekend) to that in under three months is vaguely sensible after a stress fracture. Should probably be okay if I don't try to race Beachy.

Re. a 50-miler prior to Comrades, it depends: in 2013 I set myself the challenge of five 50-milers and ran Thames Trot, SDW 50, NDW 50, Lakeland 50 and Ladybower 50... I've been wondering about tackling both Comrades and Lakeland 50 next year, if I can get a place for Lakeland 50, and I would certainly have been doing SDW50 if it didn't clash with a work event - apart form being trail rather than road it's similar terrain and I hope to do lots of training along SDW once I get my mileage up.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

18th (Thursday) is the launch of the 2017 Comrades campaign. What will the slogan be this year? I'm going for... It will crumble you.

Mmm crumble! That's got to be good ultra food? Rhubarb or apple? Both?

Just invested in a Fenix 3, probably won't use any of the features in it apart from gps and buzz me every mile, spent ages mulling over every gyzmo on the market, but what swung it was being able to charge it whist running; at my speed I'll likely need that for 1 second gps recording beyond the 16 hour mark.

Still in two minds about another Comrades... but I do keep turning up here don't I? image 

• Options

been booking up most of my 5 week stay and flights etc....really excited.....

weight loss programme started this week and running started last week..managed 10 slow miles on sunday for my longrun  ..so all very positive...

anyone know when the entries for the race open  image

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

It usually opens 1 September, not far away now.

• Options

289 days to go apparentlyimage

Seren - 5 week stay. Wow, that sounds fabulous. Where in all of that does comrades happen.

I'm trying to decide whether to stay out there and do something but not sure what yet

Running legs appear to be working ok but just done a barre concept class at the gym and not sure they're going to work for tomorrows long runimage

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

And so we learn next year's theme

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Oh my that video is amazing... I have to go back... I have to go back... I'm in tears, how did that happen?