Options

Monday 15 March 2004

nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
Morning All,

Just about to do a quick 45-60mins of LT-20.

See you later.

Comments

• Options
    So you made it nrg.

What: 2 easy runs

Why: HR still high

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I was a very naughty boy over the weekend. I was in the gym and I could no longer resist it so I did 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Still, ankle arthroscopy tomorrow. Anyone know if they hurt?
  • Options
    Morning

Hope everyones training or resting after those great races goes well today!!

happy running out there today!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning All,

What: nowt
    Why: Step-back week.
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Friday

Hope you are all basking in the glory of yesterdays achievements - congrats again for all the outstanding race efforts.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: Nothing at all
    Why: Rest Rest Rest
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Gosh i must be more tired than i thought

Last rest was Saturday

Silly plonker
  • Options
    What: absolutely stuff all
    Why: rest those aching muscles
    Last rest: Saturday.

Good luck to all trainers. I'm off to recline on the Pepsi Layabout Sofa.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all and well done to all those I missed congratulating yesterday-brilliant performances all round!

Good luck tomorrow FF, hope all goes well. Sorry I've no idea if it's a painful procedure!

what:rest day
    why:first proper rest day for a while and need it
    last hard:Friday's tempo, but yesterday's run felt hard when it shouldn't have.
    last rest:9 days counting x-training days, but last rest from running was Saturday.

Happy running/resting!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Underestimated the mild weather and wore too many clothes during my AM run - overheated!

Could Spring finally be here in the London area?

Did just over 45mins, little under 5 miles. HR low at LT-34.

BR: woke-up late so I just about made it ;-)
  • Options
    Morning All

What: Rest Day today
    Why: No chance for a run, in at work very early and out with friends this evening.

Last hard: Yesterday Hastings Half
    Last rest: Last Tuesday.

Well done everyone who raced over the weekend.

LL
  • Options
    What? Very easy 6m
    Why? Prevent injury
    Last hard? Yesterday
    Last rest? Last Thursday

86 miles last week, the lowest so far, cut back week. The result was a 1/2m PB 1:17:40.
  • Options
    top of the Morn....

What: recovery 5 miles tonight
    Why: thanks to yesterday
    Last hard: Sunday's 22 miles in that wind..
    Last rest: Friday

Bring on this recovery week....
  • Options
    Some excellent racing yesterday but not from me I'm afraid.

What: Bath Half Marathon - felt good warming up and over the first 2 miles but after 3 miles felt a sharp pain in hamstring on RHS, forced to ease up, struggled to finish in 1:28:56, more than 5 minutes down on my best.
    Last hard: 5 days.
    Last rest: 3 days.

Hamstring is very tight and sore today, probably a slight strain, will get it looked at in next day or so. Rest day today.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What: 8m including 2m tempo
    Why: get my legs moving at race pace
    Last hard: 4 days
    Last rest: 8 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Rest for me too after hard but rewarding Hastings half yesterday.

Enjoy it out there
  • Options
    Morning,
    Well done to racers at the weekend.
    Did a long run Saturday, last one apart form 20 mile race before FLM I think.

What:Should be speedwork but might go for a gentle plod.
    Why: Feeling a bit tired and took a knock on my calf playing footy yesterday.
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest:13 days.

Have a good week.
  • Options
    fat face - i had a knee arthroscopy a while back to remove some stray cartilege - it was a bit sore for a week or so and maybe a little bit swollen but certainly not "painful" as such. lots of luck with it.

well 5km swimathon DONE!!!!!!
    1:49:31 which was within my target time (just!) but a whole 10 minutes quicker than i predicted when i entered this event 3 months ago.

i'll be back for sure next year - this time with a target to beat. and perhaps i might give it a go without the 20 mile run two days before as well.....
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Well Done M - Impressive
  • Options
    You applying to join the "nutters" club then M.?

Seriouscongrats to ALL of yesterday's racers whether PB or not the conditions were tough. Great to see Pammie getting a race in and it not being cancelled from under her. Gritty performance too. Nicky2k I remember when 5 min on the t'mill sent me wheezing - just take it steady. To Those "on the bench" take care and good luck FF - hope there is some positive news.

What : rest while circling the bench
    Why : clocked 34m last week - 10 more than the previous 3 together.
    last hard : 11m felt hard yesterday
    last rest : Fri
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    well done m

(oh dear, seems no upper case today, computer sulking)

good luck FF. (ah, that's better).

What: 3 miles, slow, with a walk in the middle. Got results back from a blood test last week. Something's a little amiss apparently, so not going to flog myself until I know a bit more. Explains perhaps why last weeks runs were so tedious.

Haven't yet had time to read through all of the weekend posts. Looking forward to that!
  • Options
    M that is fantastic, please pass on any swimming tips my way for my 1/2 Ironman event in August, swimming is my weakest discipline and cant even think about the distance you have just covered, well done to you!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the race reports from the weekend yet but from comments on here it seems there were some stellar performances once again: well done!

What: Very windy 5 mile run - maybe, if rain holds off ...
    Why: Did long run on Saturday after seeing the weather forecast for the weekend. For once I made the right decision as the weather yesterday was dire. Used yesterday to buy new running shoes (Nike Perseus) which I'm now dying to try out. Wore them to do the housework yesterday (as you do) just to get a feel for them - but I won't be able to really judge them until I've taken them for a run.
    Last hard: Long run Saturday, which was OK actually. Only did 15 miles as have been having niggling shin pain which I didn't want to risk making worse. Seems to have paid off as it feels OK.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Mind you don't get blown away out there today!
  • Options
    speedie - i know just what you mean - i can only manage sprint tri's at the moment as my cycling is so rubbish. everyone has a weakest discipline i guess. good luck with your 1/2 Ironman!!!!

sfh legs - there's nothing nuts about swimming 5km (probably). oh i see - you must be mixing me up with the 10km swimathon guys who no doubt are still in the pool now!
  • Options
    Morning all!

Pammie - fantastc effort at Banbury, I used to live near there and for the south it's got some wicked hills

Swerve - I want to hear about Ashby! One of my favourite races. Did it snow again this time?

M - well done in the Swimathon, swimming 5k seems like a greuesome task to me.

What: 500 metre swim and run to and from pool (done), eight miles easy with 8 x 1 min efforts later.
    Why: Marathon training ...
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: ????

Suffering a bit from a poorly toe at the moment, blister behind the toenail, mmm, lovely. My own stupid fault - didn´t cut my toenails before Friday´s 20 miler, wore really carp socks and ran through salt water within the first few miles of the run. Really must treat longer runs with some sort of respect, and not approach them with the devil-may-care attitude that I´d adopt if running to the shops...

Have a good day all

PS Stickless - my computer does that sometimes, usually the result of food behind the shift key ... hope you´re back and running well again soon.

• Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Nrg it's a delight to see those lyrics, at last I got one!

An hour recovery run done this am - well done to all racers yesterday, I did 15m in it and reckon the wind cost me a minute/mile. That said it was nice to be out and not feel bitterly cold (was finished before rain came)
  • Options
    NRG-B in answer to your question .... Reykjavik really lacks good hotels! A client stayed at one of the city centre hotels recently, and said he´d stayed in better hotel rooms in the USSR! However ... Hotel Baron is OK, good size rooms and near the city centre, also has a kitchenette in each room which is handy if you don´t want to eat out all the time; Hotel Holt is v. posh and looks good; some friends have stayed at Guesthouse Anna and raved about it. Hotel Nordica is new and very smart, but a bit of a treck from the city. I´ve stayed at Galtafell (apartments) before, near all the embassies, good size rooms but a bit tatty, er ... Hotel Leifur Eiriksson is a bit basic but fine ...

In terms of what to see, Reykjavik is best seen as a base as it is about the size of a small English town. The ´Golden Circle' (Gullfoss (waterfall), Geysir (geyser) and Þingvellir (volcanic features and site of first parliament)) is a regular tourist trip, you can either do it as a coach tour or hire a car and do it yourself, whcih is probably better as you´ll be able to set your own agenda. The south coast and the glaciers are stunning, and of course the Blue Lagoon is a must! If you have any questions, just email me!
  • Options
    Morning all, spring is a-coming - 4 seasons in one day and all that.

What: plodding along 30mins per day
    Why: rebuilding
    last rest: 12d

Was good to watch Bath 1/2M yesterday - some great triumphs in the face of adversity and some impressive running at the sharp end. I jogged along in the gaps around 5th - 10th place for a while near the end and got a surprising number of cheers and encouragement - 8 min miling in a big waterproof - must've been my gazelle-like technique that fooled the on-lookers into thinking I was racing...

...or were they being sarcastic?
  • Options
    Morning all, will read thru posts later but hope everyone ok after weekend races/running.

What: gym if I feel ok
    Why: Did 20 miler on Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last Hard Saturday
  • Options
    Morning all

Urghhh.......sore legs today despite the massage. My legs just arent used to going further than 10 miles!

What: 4-5 miles easy tonight
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: yesterday perhaps?
    Last rest: Saturday

Thanks again for the advice yesterday BR, Mike and others. I'm still filtering it atm and revising my training plan accordingly. I'm putting it down as a good learning experience and now I'm even more determined to crack the distance :o)
  • Options
    Morning all!

Great results yesterday, esp from URR and Rene Fromage...

NE - I was in a v similar position to you at the end of last year: 36:19 10k pb, going for sub 1:20 half. In december got 1:20:41 after 3 weeks of 50+ mileage. Did another 6 weeks of this, and at the beginning of Feb got 1:19:03. So I reckon just grind out a month or so of high mileage, then have another go and you'll go under 1:20. I agree with BR too - make an effort to go really slow in your first few miles. In my 1:19 effort I did my first mile in 5:36 and was gutted, as I knew it would come back to haunt me in the last three miles.

BR - I'm very sorry to hear about your continued problems, and hope things improve soon.

I, like many of the non-racers, had a TOUGH long run yesterday. 23 miles in strong wind and heavy rain, jumping puddles on the Thames towpath. Got to halfway in 1:19, then turned back into a gale! I did 2:44 in all. The last three miles (uphill) were the toughest miles I've done since last year's FLM. Next weekend I'm going for a 25 miler, but I'm going to allow myself some carbs in the last quarter, otherwise I don't think I'll make it.

Today: 5m SLOW
    Why: recovery

Last rest: Monday 1 March

Have a good day all.