Options

Monday 15 March 2004

Comments

• Options
    Morning.

What : Rest day. Can't do more than 4 times a week.
    Why : Body getting fitter, 28 mins might turn into 30 mins soon and 2.3 miles might turn into 3 miles, you never know. All I need to do is stop eating.
    Next plod : Tue, atempt at 3 mile within 30 mins, though wishful thinking at 13 min mile plods.
  • Options
    Morning all. A beautiful morning here after yesterday's extremely unhelpful gales. Catching up on yesterday's thread - took me ages! Amazing runs logged yesterday despite att the blowyness. And some quality Chinese-noshing sessions too (very jealous).

René - winning? I don't understand - I always thought the people at the top of the list were fictional. Congrats! Same to Monique for a scarily quick category win.

Great PBs (how????), Longlegs, Speedie, blisters, oft, Bryan (injury free - almost!), some awe-inspiring efforts in the 20's and 19-and-a-bits around the country, and Pammie for a battling 15 miler.

Too many great efforts to name them all, but great going, people.

Still one or two crocks out there - get well soon, and hope the blood's just having a brief tantrum, Stickless.

As requested by LizzyB (thanks for the excuse!), a quick report on the Ashby 20 yesterday. No, it didn't snow this year. Just a bit of horizontal hail/sleet stuff at one point, but more generally the rain and wind that everyone else seems to have had. My first time, but I believe it was a new route, or at least a slightly modified one - an out, loop x2, back, type thing, taking in (tries to remember unfamiliar names for Lizzy) Packington, Swepstone, Heather, Chigley, Trumpton, Camberwick Green..... hang on, I hallucinated at least some of those..... Nice route, very picturesque, and undulating - positively nosebleed-inducing for a fen-dweller like me.

You may remember my whining about my poorly ankle which I went over on on Thursday, well, icing and ibuprofen did the trick - not a hint of complaint. So I set off intending to take the race at a gentle 8:45 pace as marathon prep, but depending on hills and wind direction, pacing was impractical, and my mile splits were all over the place - considerably quicker on the second half of each loop than the first. Finished at an average 8:35, speed held up, legs just starting to give, so mission accomplished, and final pre-marathon 20-ish run completed, taper starting. :-)

Oh, almost forgot. Today I shall be mostly resting.

That's it. I'm off for a coffee and a cheese roll. Have fun today, everyone.
  • Options
    Morning, I've not posted here for a while tho' haven't stopped following the daily training. Some cracking training & racing going on in these daily threads as ever. The six-month Challenge I do recommences in April, coinciding with my first 10k for ten months, so....

What: 1 hour gym cardio work this morning at 75-85% HR, abs at lunchtime
    Why: quads still feeling Sat's 90 min slow hilly run
    Last hard: tomorrow with the gang
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    M. people swim 10k????? I admire people who can do 2 lengths!!!

Swimmming goes like this. Dive in doing impression of house brick. Then either, continue as brick and stay at the bottom, or if lucky, surface and give good impression of mississippi paddle steamer in distress. Finally after 25m of thrashing move onto the beached whale syndrome, arms over the side gasping.

I'm afraid I'd never get to legs 2/3 if I tried a triathlon.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    tee hee sfh legs. a true sailor then.
  • Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the congrats for yesterdays race, feeling really good today, legs feel fine, and had already pre booked todays trip to physio which went really well.

What: am: 3 mile very easy, 1000m swim easy and core stability work. pm: easy run.

Why: Easy day after yesterdays race

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last Rest: Saturday

Back later
  • Options
    Hi all!

Congrats to the late-reporting racers from yesterday and to M for her swim this mnorning.

I'm joining the resters...

What: Nothing
    Why: Early morning flight to Edinburgh
    Last hard: Hastings yesterday
    Last rest: Last Monday

nrg-b - to add to what Lizzy's said, I've stayed in Hotel Odin and Hotel Island in Reykjavik before. I loved Hotel Odin and it's location is perfect. Hotel Island is a little more downmarket, certainly not warranting its 4-star rating but still a comfortable, clean, adequate hotel. It's downside is it's a little out of the centre of the city.

I wouldn't regard Reykjavik as a PB course, but could be wrong. The year I did the marathon the HM was basically the same course but without the loops. Even though it sticks to the shoreline the whole way they did manage to slip in quite a few hills. The wind was also a constant set back.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Just got off the phone to the physio - I've made an appointment with Leslie Watson (she was one of our top marathoners in the 80s, and is now meant to be a brilliant physio). Had a good chat with her on the phone, so hopefully she'll be able to sort me out tomorrow.

Tonight, think I'll pay a visit to the gym. I might as well go and lift some weights...

Have a good week everyone!

v
  • Options
    Hi all,

Well done to everyone that raced at the weekend, especially anyone that won!

What: Testing on a treadmill for a girls project. (Being used as a human guinea pig over 30 mins i think???)....Then a 4-5 mile run afterwards.

Why: The nice person i am, i agreed to be used for her project.

Last hard: Yesterday

Last Rest: 22 days. (....whoah! Thats building up....think its to do with my body coping well with 2 runs a day and extra strength from gym sessions. I dont seem to feel tired at all with only one run a day).
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    LizzyB & Ratcatcher: Thank you v. much for your info - much appreciated.

Bod: Well Done! Arguably, this song brought the genre into the mainstream.

• Options
    hi!

Well done everyone! I have just read yesterday's performances.

Good luck tomorrow FF.

Rest today as legs feel tired. Maybe gym later.

Happy running/resting/recovering!
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

Well it's a rest day for me
    Why- I promised my body one during the last three miles at Stafford, (I also promised it a lifetime off, anything to get my carcass to the finish line)

Got my last over 20 miles run this Sunday, and have the potential for injury in a footy match on Saturday, I shall run up and down on the wing and hope no one tries to pass to me.
  • Options
    Venom

You are so lucky to get in so soon I can't see my physio till WEDNESDAY!!!!
    Not that I am stressed in any way!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    afternoon all

what: nothing
    why: a) have been sneezing a few times today b) cricket nets this evening
    last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

Yes of course I could get a few miles in, then go off to nets at 8 - but on 2 occasions in the last few years I've done that - then the day after gone down with a bug. The second time it happened, I decided it wasn't a coincidence.
    At the moment I'm well ahead of where I expected to be at this time of year and I don't want to risk losing it.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Mike

Don't worry The very best have to take a day off occasionally!!!
  • Options
    Just had a 10K dash around the N Hampshire countryside, 47 minutes.
    Felt good to be out "proper running" after a week of recovery runs after the Reading Half.

Could start training for the Stockholm marathon with offshore colleagues......anyone any experience?
  • Options
    Forgot to say earlier - I did my biggest ever week last week - 71 miles! Hope to repeat that this week, then 60, 40, 20+marathon.
  • Options
    FF, hope it goes well tomorrow after all this time!

What: 8M easy, really hard to keep pace down especially as it was so windy!
    Hope it's not as strong in The Hague on Saturday.

Why: taper to City Pier City 1/2

Last hard: Wed

Last rest: Fri
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

What: nothing, except attempt to resuscitate bruised ego

Why: had a dreadful attempt at the Bath half yesterday. Nearly enough to make me want to give up running altogether. Really struggled round in 2:27 which was 10 mins slower than my PB. Burst into tears at the end as I had trained really hard since Jan for 2:15. My legs gave up at about 9 miles...I just didn't have it in me yesterday. Absolutely gutted as I was running brilliantly about 10 days ago.

Last hard/nearly impossible: yesterday

Last rest: saturday

Well done all who had good races over the weekend. I'll join you one day!
  • Options
    Chin up, CC. Sometimes you are under the weather but don't realise it. You could have been carrying a slight virus which does not affect your daily life but which can affect your racing pace. Same thing happened to me yesterday but I had been obsessively monitoring heart rate all week. It had been high, so I'm not beating myself up over a slower time.
  • Options
    Spring really is here ... I saw two oystercatchers on my run today, and lots of unidentifiable brown birds in the fjord, all back after overwintering in Spain (according to my bird book!).

Isn´t migration wonderful. The run was a bit iffy though, heart rate a bit high, hmmm....

Monique - can´t you just get yourself sent off in the first few minutes?

• Options
    CC - sorry to hear about your race. The same thing happened to me in my last 10k - I´d been aiming for a pb and ended up doing a time 7 minutes slower than my previous pb. Just as occasionally you have cr(p days at work when you can´t concentrate and everything goes wrong, the same can happen in races. Unfortunately, if you only race a few times a year, there´s more at stake. I know it´s hard, but forget about it, put it behind you, and look forward to the next challenge. And think about all the things you love about running. LizzyB
  • Options
    CC dont get too upset about yesterdays event, things dont always go to plan, I had a horrid year last year and from what everyone was posting the weather across the whole of the UK was not ideal racing conditions.

Have a relaxing evening or few days and try not too worry too much.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    sorry about that CC - sometimes the best of prep comes to nought, and sometimes there is no understanding why.

It seems to be part of the game, one of the parts requiring most fortitude, to write off a bad day, and go on planning and training.

The wonderful thing about this thread is we see even the best amongst us having to do the same.

Hang in there
  • Options
    CC - Lizzy has described that perfectly. Same happened to me last year in the Brighton 10K - i was going for a PB and ended up running a PW :-(

there could be so many reasons - but the one thing that is certain is you will bounce back.

the PB is in you just waiting to get out.....
  • Options
    Ditto CC
    Bath yesterday was a demoralising affair. If things started diverge from your plan, I can oh so easily see how they would have gone completely t!t5 up. If you've still got the will to live, then that's a success.

The sun will shine again someday.

Me?
    Just back in from a "recovery" run. 5 miles plodded out in 45 minutes. Just to make me feel at home it drizzled persistently all the way round. My legs weren't too stiff, but I really felt low on blood sugars.

I feel cheered up by the thought of Jamaican rice and black eyed beans. (Ainsley Harriot). However I bet it's cheese and crackers for tea.
  • Options
    CC, it's so disappointing not to achieve your target when you've put so much time and effort in, but that's running for you. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason, you just have a bad day. Be kind to yourself with a few days just running for the love of it.
    M, well done on your swim, cannot begin to imagine swimming that far!
    Venom, glad to hear you're going to see physio. I remember watching Lesley Watson in the Bolton Marathon, more years ago than I care to remember!
    WP, be patient!!

Things seem to be progressing ok with my hip injury. Visit to physio today, few tender spots which seem to have gone after deep massage and ultrasound. He's got healing hands that man! Can now start doing some stretching and strengthening exercises and enough core stability exercises to keep me busy. Can also start some limited gym work, lets see if my heart and lungs still work properly.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    CC: Put it down to experience and keep going.
    Barbara: That's excellent news!
  • Options
    CC: I'm so sorry you had a bad race. Try not to let it get you down, although I appreciate that is so easy to say. You still ran a half marathon which just happens to be 13.1 miles long, so well done!

Me? What: Went out with a friend and ran 12 and a half miles. I found it really hard today. The weather just got worse until the rain was stinging my face. There were some really steep long hills, which i just could not run all the way up. Sometimes i felt like i wasn't moving at all as the wind was head on at times. The dog wasn't too happy either today which is so unlike him, so i think we were all affected. AAAARRGHH it really was a plod in every sense of the word.

Why: Because I like to do a long run once a week.

I'm pleased i did it, but can't say I enjoyed it today.
  • Options
    CC

Sorry to hear about your race It is hard when you put everything into your training and it jut is not your day.But you will be back stronger than ever at your next race, it was awful weather...please don't beat yourself up about it.

Barbara that is FANTASTIC news I am so pleased for you you will be back on track before no time and back in those shorts!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression