Options

Stretching

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stretching increases risk of injury, but so does weight training, and so does running for that matter.

It seems to me there is an optimal level of flexibility for each of us, so we vary in how much stretching we need to reach or maintain that level.

For me, very little. For others quite a lot.

Put anyone on bed rest for a week and they'll stiffen up remarkably. We all stretch loads in daily life.

As for methods - pnf pretty good for increasing range.

For maintenance, relaxed but not very prolonged streches post run seems a pretty low risk and low time demand strategy.
  • Options
    For rehabilitation of ITBFS stretching is a bloody good idea. (Been there etc.) It has a sound basis in science and many sufferers have benefitted from this form of therapy.

Of course when you're fit again you tend to lapse. If the ITBFS returns and you can stretch it away, then take the hint: keep the ITB long enough to prevent rubbing. How? Stretch it.

• Options
    I have been running for 18 years without the need of stretching. In fact, I believe that to strech before a run is asking for trouble.
    However, stretching to benefit you in other areas of life, or to help prevent recurring injuries is another matter altogether. I have a bad back and if I don't do my exercises (mainly based on slow, gentle stretches) it seizes up within a week. This, in turn makes many normal tasks difficult.

Stretching exercises help maintain flexibility which makes lots of everday tasks easier, especially when running around after two little kids!

BTW, doesn't it improve sex?
  • Options
    Surely stretching must be a natural thing to do, my fastest running companion our - Collie dog stretches when she wakes up. I have also heard that Lance Armstrong spends 2 hours stretching a day.