Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hi Guys, I am a 3rd year university student looking for runners to participate in my survey. All you need is to have ran over 10km competitively in the last 3 years. The survey will take a small 5 minutes of your time and any participation would be greatly appreciated.
    The link is below - Thank you!!

https://ljmu.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-relationship-between-self-confidence-and-performance-i
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I hadn't realised that the bull was in a private farm field. Were you trespassing😁
    It seems that these video communication systems are still far from perfect.
    It's good to hear that your stretching exercises are producing positive results to your back, and that your walking pace is getting back to what it was before.
    Are you still persisting with your typing lessons, or have you reached a standard that you are happy with. You will find that the more you type, the quicker and more accurate you will become.

This morning was the coldest that I can remember for several years. I was well wrapped up with several tops, Ron Hill Tracksters, thermal hat and gloves. I ran with Andy, and Sarah F ran with Jane. We ran different courses so that it wouldn't look on Strava as if we had broken the rule of running in pairs. We decided to make up our run as we went along, and it was definitely multi terrain. Very wet and muddy, with thin layers of ice on top of all the puddles and small streams. The wind was biting, and the snow was flaky but not settling. We ran along some trails that we had never run before, but didn't get lost, as we knew what direction to run in. I should have worn my trail shoes, but I was wearing an older pair of trainers, so didn't mind getting them soaking wet and covered in mud. I've cleaned them and stuffed them with newspaper to help them to dry out.  I had a job to undo the laces when I got home, as there were small pieces of ice stuck in them.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - we were on a public footpath (Thames Path), so unlikely we were trespassing. I don't remember seeing any "Beware Of The Bull" sign but maybe I missed it .. blissfully unaware anyway until we reached the safety of the stile at the far end of the field. I'm still doing the touch-typing lessons and attempting to do some every day (or two). I'm currently at lesson 121 (of 685!) and according to the stats, my current speed is 11wpm and 98% accuracy. 

Did my usual daily stretching this morning and I can feel my back is much better than this time last week. I'm thinking I'll gently re-introduce some strengthening exercises this week (squats) and I'm hoping by Mon next week, I'll be ready to go for a walk in my running gear and break into a jog a few times to see how my knee reacts (seeing the physio on Thu morning). Well done re that multi-terrain run. Since Strava made everyone's routes secret by default, I'd say it's unlikely anyone would see (or consider) that you'd broken the rules. I can see how cold it was by your reference to ice in the laces. Proper hardcore ..

With my back much improved - and our cleaner currently not coming round - I was finally able to manage to do some vacuuming this morning.

I managed to get out for a quick walk this afternoon. I was pleased to mange 2mls at sub-20min pace and I'm glad I wrapped up warm as although it was reasonable when I set off in sunshine, it soon cooled down as the sun set.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Afternoon all, 

I’m having a quick coffee break from Grandma school (it doesn’t get any easier as the weeks go by). Next week is half term, so there’ll be a break from schooling, but we’ll have to fill the time in with something and its still not the right weather to take our gd for a walk, or to practice her bike riding skills. Yet again we woke up to about 4 or 5 inches of snow this morning, so what with that and the freezing overnight temperatures it’s not safe to venture out at the moment. We did try a 3 miles walk on Sunday as the snow had thawed a bit on Saturday. We drove the couple of miles to our usual starting point but when we got out of the car it was really cold, the coldest I can remember for quite a while and my hands were really painful throughout our walk, even with my sheepskin gloves on. I’ll post a photo later showing some icicles, and you’ll see what I mean about being really cold.
    Oh dear, looks like break time is over, time to get back to our English lesson which is writing about Greenpeace would you believe - just how I’m going to explain about the work that Greenpeace do in terms that a 6 yr old can understand is beyond me, but we’ll see how we get on. Her teacher wants her to write a few sentences using the word “because” in relation to various campaigns GP are involved in. Also to discuss what she thinks they use their vessel Rainbow Warrior for, and finally to visit GP’s site and find a photo to write about. Then we have to start on Geography and write about how Brasilia is different to London (I kid you not). :(

Sorry for not commenting on everyone's posts. I'll try to  do that tomorrow when I hope to have more time.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, that's a heck of a lot of lessons still to do, for your typing skills. If you persist right to the end, you should be superfast. On the subject of speed, I also attempted to learn Pitmans Shorthand from a teach yourself book, but didn't get very far with it. I wonder how many people today use it. 
    I know journalists and reporters take notes, but I wonder whether it is still Pitmans or an updated method.

I'm glad that you are persisting with the stretching, which is helping your back to recover.

Re the Strava security, most of the Club's committee are on it, and if they saw members running in more than pairs, they wouldn't be very impressed☹
    I think Monday's run was rather hard core, but it was good to be exploring again.

I imagine Margaret is pleased that you are able to resume domestic duties again🤣

Good that your walking pace is improving.

Aquarius, you are certainly getting more than your fair share of snow. It's definitely colder than I can remember for several years. I even wore tracksters for Mondays run.

Interesting that the teacher is requiring sentences using" because" I seem to remember that we were discouraged from using conjunctions too often. I remember whilst in Primary school, that the class went on a trip to the zoo, and on return were required to do a write up. We were criticised for repeatedly writing "and then we."  Things have obviously changed in todays world, as you often see sentences beginning with "and," "but," etc. I realise that the sentences wouldn't start with "because," but that was my first impression.

Those icicles are very impressive.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Aquarius - sorry to hear 'grandma school' isn't getting any easier. Those subjects you mentioned do sound quite advanced for a 6yr old. You've had more snow I see - still none to speak of round here. Wow - you weren't joking about those icicles!

HS - it's a very comprehensive touch-typing course and very well put together. You can upgrade to the Pro version but I've seen no need to yet. Pitman shorthand was something I considered learning many moons ago but nothing ever came of it. Yes, Margaret was quite pleased to see me wielding the vacuum cleaner. Now my back has recovered, we have a whole load of marmalade she made that needs someone (ie. me) to crawl into the under-stairs cupboard and put it away on the shelves. You mentioning sentences starting with 'and' or 'but' set me wondering if any 'young people' would ever start a sentence with 'like' (since their speech is, like, peppered with it) :)

I got out for a walk a little while ago. I was pleased to manage a little further (2.5mls) and that each mile was around 18:10mm pace. Nice to feel my back is pretty much back to normal. I'm continuing with the daily stretching and today, I added back in one of the strengthening ones (10x squats). Tomorrow I'll try and add another strength exercise and definitely feeling like jogging a bit next week might be a possibility.

Had a good book circle meeting on zoom this afternoon. One lady didn't really get on with the book (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) - a bit too violent for her she said. Our book for next month is going to be Atonement.
  • Options
    Mel, glad to hear you are on the mend. The walking will keep the muscles toned but I think that first run back will be hard! 

Aquarius, sounds like you are putting in a serious shift as grandma teacher. I think one of the few good things that will come out of lockdown is that we all will appreciate teachers more. Imagine being locked away with 30 of them in a classroom all day. I trained as a teacher but recognised my limitations and cleared off to work in FE colleges after qualifying. I've never regretted it, although doubtless some of my students might have! Even that had its moments dealing with stroppy 16year olds.

HS, that trail run sounded tough. Confession: I've never owned a pair of trail shoes. Indeed I only ever have one pair of trainers in operation at any one time. That is not the behaviour of a proper runner!

Well we finally had some snow and as Mrs JB says it's neither use nor ornament. It's just about gone now but it was never 'serious'. Mind you that wind was very cold. I went out yesterday with my neighbour for a run and I was wearing 2 x gloves, 2 x hats, 3 x base layers and 1 x a fleece top. And I was still cold.

Today I went out with my usual training partner intending to run for an hour but I had one of those runs where you just feel physically and mentally dreadful. No injuries but I kind of resented every step. I threw in the towel after 8k.

I'll take a couple of rest days now. 

Committee meeting with the council this evening - 6.30-8.30, just as my team is on TV in the FA Cup. Public service ethic or what?

• Options
    WtnMel, you mentioned "like," Andy who I have a computer maintenance contract with, is always saying "you know what I mean like." 

Good that your back is nearly back to normal, and that you walked a bit further yesterday. On the subject of squats, I've recently started a variation which I saw in a RW Guide to home workouts. Using an ordinary chair, you squat until your backside just touches the chair and then stand up. I started doing 15, and this afternoon did 18. The use of the chair ensures the correct level of squat. Good luck if you start jogging next week.

I note that you have had another good Zoom book circle meeting yesterday. Did you see on the TV that someone had used a filter for a Zoom meeting, so that one of the participants was "a cat." He kept saying "It's me, I'm not a cat." Apparently its gone viral! 

JB, the powers that be say that we shouldn't wear the same pair of trainers two days in succession, but should alternate them. Apparently this is supposed to help prevent injuries. You seem to have been getting away with it though, so why change!

We had a sprinkling of snow on Monday during our run, and it must have snowed during the night, as there was a thin layer on the ground Tuesday morning. I took it very cautiously walking to the supermarket, as I didn't want to fall over, and even more so, walking back with the usual 4 bags of shopping! It was very cold yesterday, and in one way I was glad that I wasn't running. It was the "vicious wind" that made it feel even colder.

I know how you must have felt during todays run, because I sometimes feel the same. There is often no apparent reason for this, but we all have off days from time to time. The rest days may help, and you will "bounce back" again.

Hope the committee meeting goes ok this evening. Its sods law when things clash, and you miss something that you had been looking forward to.

It didn't feel quite as cold this morning, which was probably because the wind had dropped. We did a hill rep session in the forest, 3 sets of 3 hills. It was some weeks since we had done that particular workout.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

JB - I've not managed to get out for a walk today (see below) but yes, I'm fully expecting to try and run a few yards next week and soon find myself huffing and puffing! :) I liked Mrs JB's quote about the snow being neither use nor ornament. I see you were well wrapped up with several layers - on my walk yesterday I saw a guy running in t-shirt and shorts and decided he must be a masochist. Hope the meeting isn't too terrible and you'll have to steer clear of the footie result and record it or watch the game on catch-up.

HS - as you may have gathered, people using 'like' all the time drives me mad. Example - there was a young woman on Breakfast today - she used 'like' three times in one ten-second sentence. Postscript - my back was slightly sore after yesterday's squats so I just stuck to stretching today. The squat you mentioned is the one I did (the easier version allows you to sit down each time). I saw the viral video of the lawyer who had a cat filter set on and didn't know how to switch it off again. Glad to see you're continuing with the 'weight training' of walking home with 4 bags of shopping. And well done re the hill reps session.

I ordered a Logitech webcam from Amazon. Been having a 'play' with it and it gives a much better quality image than the built-in camera on my laptop.

Had to do some research for Arts Together - the manager wanted to know what 'dongles' were available to give internet access while out and about. I've emailed her back with details of a Vodafone one that seems to fit the bill (and her budget!).

• Options
    Good afternoon,

HS: I see you have had some snow in the NF too, but it hasn’t stopped you from running. Your run on Monday sounded pretty cold, I think you were wise to opt for tracksters, hat and gloves when the weather was as cold as that, although I know you prefer to wear shorts. I keep meaning to try those chair squats, the physio I go to put a video online demonstrating the correct way to do them. I imagine they will be an excellent strengthening exercise for glutes quads and core. 

JB: I can’t imagine how you managed to sit through a 6 hour meeting, I think I would have been tempted to plead IT problems and opt out after a couple of hours. What on earth could they find to talk about for that length of time? I’m assuming you had “comfort breaks” and coffee/lunch breaks, but even so that was a marathon meeting. 
    Least said about the rugby last weekend the better. The only good thing is that the Scottish fans weren’t there to witness it in person. I still have nightmares about an England Scotland international we saw at Murrayfield about 10 or 12 years ago. It was really difficult to get international tickets then, despite the fact that each grassroots club including our own got an allocation of tickets. Unfortunately these tickets were always snapped up by the club officials, so the ordinary members never got a look in. We decided if we couldn’t get tickets from our own club we’d join a (very northern) Scottish club as we knew they’d have very few members and so there’d be a better chance of getting tickets. For the price of a year’s membership we were eligible to apply for tickets from their allocation and usually got them (presumably the cost and inconvenience of travelling down to internationals put off their own members). As the tickets were from a Scottish club it meant our seats were always slap bang in the middle of the Scottish fans, which didn’t bother us because we’d gone to a number of Scotland internationals prior to this and despite our English accents we’d never had any trouble, just a bit of good natured banter with the Scots. This was the first time we’d gone when the opposing team was England though, and their utter hatred of all things English was obvious. As the game went on and it was apparent that Scotland were going to win the atmosphere just got worse and worse. We were glad when the final whistle went and we could get out of the ground. We’d parked near the railway station, and I vividly remember the long walk back to the car as most of the Scottish fans were headed in the same direction and their euphoria at this unexpected victory over England had manifested itself in some very ugly behaviour and chanting. Steve told me not to speak or make eye contact with anyone. We felt really intimidated and made sure our coats were fully buttoned up so no one could see our England shirts. I was actually shaking by the time we got back to our car. I vowed then I’d never go to another England Scotland international, and I’ve certainly never gone back to Murrayfield.
    I can understand how your cemetery run must have made you feel a bit awkward, despite no disrespect being intended. I seem to remember Runningfox mentioning that he’d also run around his local cemetery, but I think that was really early in the morning before anyone else was about. Perhaps that’s the answer? I hope you’ve “recovered” from your visit by your lively 4 yr old grandchild.

WtnMel: It was fortunate that Alan managed to get his Covid appointment on the same day as Diana. You must be glad that your back is almost back to normal, it’s surprising how debilitating a painful back can be. Take it easy with that vacuum cleaner though (visions of Freddy Mercury come to mind for some reason). I agree that it is really irritating when people use the word “like” repeatedly (and inappropriately) but just as annoying is when someone starts each sentence with “So” (I have a feeling I’ve grumbled about this before). I can see why The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo isn’t to everyone’s taste. You’re probably on safer ground with Atonement. 

Still snowbound here (1 foot of snow in our back garden yesterday, and not much change today except it is much colder) so no running for us, and judging by the occasional passer-by even walking looks pretty difficult. Steve was due to go to Newcastle yesterday for his Covid jab, but luckily our surgery rang on Tuesday and offered him an appointment with them. He’s going there this evening and as it’s just at the bottom of our estate it will be a lot easier to get to. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

WtnMel,  I'm not sure whether or not it's advisable to do stretches, squats etc. every  day, it depends on what the physio says. I always do static stretches after every run. I do the yoga type on my rest days. 

That webcam sounds good. I should think more or less anything is better than the laptop cameras. I used to have a 3 Dongle which I used  when I visited my parents, as they didn't have a Router.

This morning was the coldest yet, and I ran a solo 10k fartlek. I was going to run in the forest, but I don't like running alone in the current conditions. 

I saw on the TV this morning, an interview with the previous Health Minister, who had broken his arm in a fall earlier during a run. Must have been icy.
  • Options
    HS: I see we have performed our usual trick of posts crossing.  :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - the chair squats will probably do you good. Though in my case, my glute muscles are so rubbish at the moment, they ache after doing them and even bending forward to reach into a draw or cupboard lets me know they're there. Thinking back, I can remember episodes where they've caused me to pull up short when running across a road or shifting things so I think they've always been a bit rubbish. Interesting to read your story about the England/Scotland match you went to. I've never understood the hatred you get from some fans for the opposing team for what is in reality, just a game. But I've always considered sport at that level a ritualised soft of warfare, so we should be glad the Scots fans were not in reality, looking to knock any sassenach's head off and confined themselves to just chanting and shouting. You're not the first to make the 'Freddie Mercury' reference about me vacuuming .. hmmmm ;) You'd mentioned the pointless use of the prefix "So" before and I agree with you about it. I'm not surprised to hear you have a foot of snow in your back garden, having been watching the forecast's about the weather "Oop North" as opposed to further South.

HS - I've not tried doing any more strengthening exercises since Tuesday. The physio did originally suggest doing the strengthening exercises every day but obviously at the moment, with my back problems, that's gone by the board. The main reason I got the webcam I did (Logitech C270HD if anyone was curious) was because it got a good review in some 'Best Buy' lists. There's some clever software you can download - not that I shift around all the time on zoom calls, but the camera can follow your face to keep you in shot.

Whilst writing this, I have just had a text from my surgery about having my covid jab and have booked it for tomorrow at 4:20pm. I've been joking to my u3a friends about being too 'young' to have a jab just yet but I know Gloucs have been doing well getting people 'done' so I'm not altogether surprised they've started doing the 65-70 cohort I am classed under.

A 'minor' disaster this morning (at least, I hope it's a minor one!). Having not used my car for several weeks, I drove to M&S to get a Valentine's ready meal for Sunday. But when I went to drive off, one of the rear wheels was locked solid. I think it was just the brake iced up and rocking the car back and forth a few times using the gears, seemed to release it, though it sounded a bit worrying. The brakes didn't feel 100% and were a bit 'clunky' on the drive to town and back. I'm hoping that was just due to them being iced up and isn't anything more serious. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I drive to have my jab.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, yes our posts crossed yet again! Mondays run was very cold, wet and muddy, but enjoyable as we were exploring new trails.

I've only recently started doing the chair squats, and am feeling the benefits.

That must have been very scary for you, leaving the stadium after the England/Scotland match. Switching to football, there is great rivalry between Southampton and Portsmouth fans, for some unknown reason, to me, but  they seem to hate each other. The most scary football match that I have attended was whilst living in Liverpool, and Liverpool were playing Manchester United. There seems to be real hatred between the fans, but the police are great in segregating them , before and after. They employ dozens of mounted police which seems to do the trick. I remember some young lads saying "Look at all them busy's!" That is a scouse name for mounted police. I'm not sure if I've spelt it right, but you get the idea!

I hope that Steve hasn't had any after effects from his Covid Jab. 

WtnMel, some strength exercises are only recommended two or three times a week, otherwise it seems that they lose their effectiveness.

As I'm writing this, I can imagine you waiting for your jab in a few minutes time. I hope your car was ok re the locked wheel, and that it was just a problem caused by the cold. I haven't driven my car for over a month, so I hope I don't have similar problems. It is kept in the garage, so hopefully will be ok.

Today is a rest day and I have done my usual walk to the supermarket and back with 4 bags of shopping. I've also done a whole range of exercises, including 15 chair squats.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Afternoon all,

Not much to report here, still loads of snow and last night's overnight sub zero temperatures haven't helped matters. There has been a slight thawing this afternoon but it's now freezing up again. I believe the temperature is due to rise a bit on Sunday so hopefully things might improve. I'm really fed up with being stuck indoors.
    HS Steve is feeling fine after his jab thank you, although his arm did look swollen when he returned home yesterday. I was suprised to find that the people having their jabs were sent straight home, I'd understood that you were supposed to wait for 15 minutes in case any adverse reaction occurred. At least that's what Steve was told when he booked his original appointment in Newcastle (the one he cancelled when he found he could go to our surgery instead). HS/WtnMel were you advised to wait 15 minutes after your jab before going home? 
    WtnMel I hope your car behaved itself today, hopefully as you say it was due to the weather and nothing more serious. 
    I've ordered myself a MacBook Air (arriving Monday) as my current MacBook is about 9 or 10 years old and takes a long time to wake up and get going these days (I think there's a joke there somewhere). When I do my Pilates zoom class on Tuesdays I join the class via a weekly emailed link, in order to do this I need to switch my computer on at least 20 minutes before the class starts. It takes this long for it to let me log in, open up my emails and then select the one I want, wait for that to load then click on the link. Then getting into zoom takes a few more minutes. The strange thing is once it's fully warmed up it's actually pretty quick, it's just the initial starting up that is the problem. 
    Good luck for your 5k tomorrow HS, and if anyone else is running have a good one. I've done a yoga session this morning, plus an hour's strength work. I hope it's enough to keep me fairly fit until I can get back to running.
  • Options
    Aquarius, glad to hear that Steve is feeling ok after his jab. I didn't have any problems with my arm, no swelling, no ache and didn't even leave a mark. They did mention the 15 minute recovery, but said that we could wait in our cars if we wanted to. I didn't have my car, as I walked to the centre, so sat on a chair for the 15 minutes and then walked home. I imagine that some might have driven straight off, which would have been a bit dodgy, as most were over 80, and probably shouldn't have been driving anyway.

My laptop is slow logging in too, but "is up to speed" once its got going.

I'm running with Sarah F tomorrow, and Alice is running with Mike. I'm hoping the pavements won't be icy, as we are intending to do a fast 5k. the forest is still too boggy for quicker running.  Well done for the yoga and strength work.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - I think most supporters of football teams hate their opposition. I used to go to college in Watford and one evening while waiting for a bus, was shouted at by some Watford supporters who saw my red and white scarf. When they started shouting about me being Man Utd 'scum' (or whoever they thought I supported) and I played dumb and said "Who?", they left me alone. I think these core strengthening exercises are fairly mild in comparison to 'real' strength training (dumbells etc.) so I guess that's why the physio suggested I could do them daily to build up my strength, then 2-3 times a week in future, to maintain my strength. She did say (as if I needed telling), that if there was any pain, to stop straightaway. It would be worth getting your car out of the garage and driving back and forth on the road for a little bit (or round the block), just to keep things mobile and save having anything seizing up like mine did. Well done re your exercises, including the chair squats.

Aquarius - we're certainly being promised the temperature will be increasing by the weekend (think they were saying 10-12 degrees by Sun) so hope the same goes for you. Glad to hear neither of you have suffered any after-effects. Ooh - how exciting to have a sparkling, new computer on it's way. Hope the setup/data transfer goes okay. Yes, there's definitely a joke in there somewhere about the old MacBook having problems getting going first thing like it's owner ;) You're not going to know yourself if this new machine is far quicker (there's a Star Trek joke there about it going 'warp speed' in comparison to the old 'un). Well done continuing with the yoga and strength work.

I've been for my covid jab this afternoon (Pfizer). I was able to have it standing up and didn't feel the needle go in. No redness or anything so I'm not even sure where the injection site was - will wait and see if I have any aches, tiredness etc. that Margaret and our friends Alan & Diana have reported after their jabs. I was asked to sit and wait 15 mins after my jab and I didn't see anyone ignoring that advice.

The back wheel of the car wasn't locked on today and apart from the brakes being a bit 'clunky' when braking, are working fine. The car is due for a service so I'll get them to look at the brakes (having checked, the MOT isn't due until end of March so a bit far apart to get both things done at the same time).
  • Options
    Morning all,

Mel, glad to hear that the car problem wasn't so much of a problem. Hope you get no after-effects of the jab. I'm awaiting the call for mine. That's a good story about your Watford encounter. My first footie match was with my brother. I was about 8 or 9 and it was against Millwall, the epi-centre of thugdom. As we walked past the coaches containing their fans they launched a tirade of foul mouthed nastiness the like of which I'd ever seen. I wondered why they hated me! TBH I don't think they are much better now.

Talking of which I was shocked to hear of Aquarius' experience in that Scotland game. For some reason, I've always put the Scots on a bit of a pedestal in terms of manners (I've no idea why, but if you are going to stereotype a nation it might as well be a nice one!) That was horrible, although I guess wearing England shirts was (but shouldn't have been) a bit of a risk. I've only been to 2 internationals at Twickers: one in the early 70s against France when Mrs JB (as she is now) passed out for a few moments against the barrier on the terrace and another when the car we were in broke down and we spent the return journey on an AA low loader! However, I'll still be cheering on the Scots today against the Welsh, a place where there really is a profound dislike of the English. I was on the wrong end of it a couple of times. (Confession: were I not English myself I don't think I'd like us very much.)

HS, good luck on your fast 5k. I'd usually be doing the same along the prom today but my inner wimp has instructed me to go inland to avoid that brutal wind, so will do a long hill instead. Funny to mention trainers and injury, There was a report n the latest RW (which I've now given to a mate) that found quite weak causal evidence between old trainers and running injuries. The cynic in me suspects that the 'change trainers after 500miles' mantra might be rather commercially driven. When you look at what the guys in the 1960s were running in, it makes you wonder how they managed running longevity. Perhaps they didn't! I don't think I've ever spent more than 40 quid on a pair, but Mrs JB would point out that I've hardly ever spent more than 40 quid on anything!

I've noticed that in the course of this posting, I've managed to say negative things about the Welsh, the English and even the scholars and gentlemen that are Millwall supporters! I've also referred to myself as a wimp and a cynic. I feel that I must finish on a more positive note, so I sincerely hope that you all have a nice weekend.

• Options
    PS Just back from a hilly 8K. Here's the thing: having scrupulously avoided any frost, ice and patches of snow for the fear of falling over,,,,,,,,,,well you can guess that I took a tumble today. Not too bad but banged up my knee a bit. It was a very uneven surface but really, I should be able to stay vertical.
  • Options
    Good morning everyone,

WtnMel, glad that your car was ok and that you will be having it serviced soon.  I had mine serviced and MoT'd in December.

Good to hear that your jab was ok and no apparent after effects. 

JB, the 5k went really well, details below.

I agree100% that changing trainers at 500 miles is just a ploy to sell more. I've got one pair of Asics that have covered nearly 1000 miles and they are still ok. I always used to follow the 500 mile "rule" religiously, but not now.  In the days when I was much speedier than today, I had a pair of racing flats, which of course had no cushioning whatsoever. I used them in all road races up to and including 10 miles, and had no injuries whatsoever. I think the trend nowadays is moving away from stabiliser trainers, with the thinking that the feet should be permitted to land naturally, and not controlled. 

Thanks for your nice weekend wishes, and I hope you all have nice ones too.

I've just seen your last post where you say you have had a fall whilst running. I hope your knee wasn't damaged, but a few days rest might be advisable.

Saturdays 5k went really well and I ran with Sarah F and Alice ran with Mike. My time was 26.31 a WAVA of 71.46%. That was my best WAVA out of the 47 not a parkruns that we have run together. Sarah finished just ahead of me, as I ran in the road on several occasions, whilst she ran on the pavement. This was similar to running on the track, with one in the inside lane, and one in the outside😁

I started sneezing yesterday afternoon, so decided to have a rest day today. I've only sneezed once, so far, so hopefully I haven't caught a cold🤞  

• Options
    Well run HS! Keep well. My knee isn't too bad, although I must also have her my hip and shoulder on impact as they've stiffened up. Will try  a run tomorrow. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - still no after-effects from my covid jab .. I've not noticed any of the side effects Mrs Wm and u3a friends have reported suffering with. I don't imagine MiIlwall supporters have changed - of all the moronic fans, they've always come across as the worst offenders. Re rugby, I enjoy watching the 6 Nation's games but never find myself getting over-excited about the results. I'm the same with the premiership rugby union - my local team should be Gloucester but I can't get excited about them either (especially as they're currently bottom of the table!). I'm a believer in the 'change trainers after 500mls' mantra. But in my case, being heavily built, I've had problems when not changing mine after around that mileage. But I can easily imagine someone much lighter, isn't going to cause the same amount of breakdown in the cushioning and would be able to use them for much longer. Horses for courses I say - and listen to your body (especially your knees!). Well done re your hilly 8k and a shame you took a tumble. I see from your later post your hip and shoulders have stiffened up since - hope those after-effects don't hang around for too long.

HS - I've not rung the garage to book my car service yet - I need to go outside and check the current mileage so will probably do so after lunch. I see you don't automatically change your trainers after 500 miles and in your case, I can well imagine you can run much further in a pair of shoes than I could before they might need replacing. I still feel the need to wear stabilising trainers with plenty of cushioning by the way. Well done re your weekend 5K and that good WAVA score. Hope that sneeze was just a one-off and not the precursor to any sort of cold lurgy.

A first step in my recuperation. I wore my running shoes on today's 3ml walk. I walked the first mile, then (ta-dah!!) jogged between some lamp-posts during the 2nd mile, before walking the third mile. Running again felt a bit odd after a six-week break - it didn't feel 'natural' and I felt a bit clumsy if I'm honest. I picked some quiet roads for my first venture back to being a runner. Anyway, no immediate after-effects and I'll wait to see how my back/knees react during the rest of today and tomorrow. All being well, I'll try another walk/run on Wed and report back to my physio who I'm seeing on Thu. I think I can probably stop seeing her know and will continue with the stretching and strengthening exercises she's given me to try and avid any future problems.
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    JB, thanks John! I had a rest day yesterday, so was fine today and able to run. Good that your knee isn't too bad, but your hip and shoulder stiffness sounds rather painful. I hope you took it easy if you ran today.

WtnMel, good that you are still not feeling any after effects from your Covid jab. I was reading that after effects from the second jab are often slightly worse than from the first.
    I can understand that you prefer more cushioned trainers, and change them more often. I think it also has something to do with the pace runners run. Apparently, the faster you run, the lighter on your feet, so hence the trainers last longer.
    Thanks, I think the sneezing Saturday afternoon was the after effects from the mornings hard 5k in that icy wind. Sarah had similar reactions, sneezing and feeling a bit off colour.
    Sounds good that you are now walking and running which is what I had to do after my knee injury back in 2017. I think that you are right thinking that Thursdays appointment with the physio will be your last. If I remember rightly, I only had 4 appointments with mine. I'm still doing the stretches etc that he recommended all those years ago.

It was quite mild this morning, and I was back in shorts again. Ran a hilly 10.2 k on roads.
  • Options
    Mel, looks like you are adopting a very prudent, steady approach back into running. Very sensible.

HS, pleased to hear that your 'cold' didn't develop.

I had a 5k time trial today. Managed 23.08 which turned out to e my slowest of the year so far. It was a WAVA of 73.18%, so not bad given a rather brutal wind. My times were 11.03 out and 12.05 back. You can guess which way the wind was blowing. Mrs JB was doing her usual 3.5km and given that she was wearing a white running jacket, I lined her up from a long way out and closed the gap. I timed it perfectly  - until in the last 10 metres she heard me and put on a little sprint and edged me out. Well, really!

Still awaiting the call for my jab. Would far rather go to my GPs than all the way to a mass vaccination centre 15 miles away, which is what the govt is encouraging us to go (for good reasons).

So nice to have seen the back of that cold snap. Give me mild, wet and windy any time. But better still give me the 17 degrees we've been promised this weekend. (Silly memory trick. I once heard that 1966 - a year that no Englishman would ever forget - was actually a good benchmark for temperature conversion i.e 19 degrees C is 66 degrees. F.)
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, thanks, the cold seems to have cleared up without developing.

Well done for another 70%+ WAVA. That run was impressive especially considering the wind. That's frustrating isn't it when someone hears you approaching and ups their speed.

It's probably worth waiting until you can get a jab locally. The car park at the Leisure Centre was almost full this morning with the 65 to 70's having their jabs. 

I hadn't heard of that temperature conversion before, but I suppose it does give us some idea.

This morning was a pyramid session as per the Club's Independent Training Schedule. 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 minute efforts with 60 second jog backs for the 1 minutes, and 90 seconds for the others. I ran with Mike and the two Sarah's ran together. We were running on a fairly level gravel track, and there were several dog walkers that didn't have their dogs on leads. Mike, who was just ahead of me on one of the efforts had to jump over a dog than ran from the side right across him. Thankfully it was only a small dog, otherwise he would probable have tripped over it and had a very nasty fall. On the very last 1 minute effort, I felt a pull in my left calf, and sensibly stopped and started walking. It doesn't feel too bad, so I'm hoping a couple of rest days will do the trick. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - as a bit of a heavy plodder, I fully accept that my shoes will wear out quicker than people lighter and faster than me. Glad to hear the sneezing wasn't due to a cold lurgy. I hope tomorrow's appointment at the physio will be the last - but see below re a self-inflicted backward step in my recovery. Well done re the pyramid session but ouch to the pull in your left calf - hopefully a couple of day's rest will sort it.

JB - not so prudent an approach to running again as it turns out (see below). Well done re that time trial - Mrs JB's behaviour reminds me of one of our club races. I was timing my sprint to the line to beat our club chair. It was all going well until spectators started shouting "Go on Claire!" and she put on a sprint of her own to beat me. However, I had the last laugh because she had started before me, so my overall time was quicker. My 'trick' to converting temperatures which I learnt years ago is a bit rough and ready but is good enough for me. I simply multiply the centigrade figure by 2 and add 30 - so 19C becomes 68F (like I said, not accurate - but near enough).

Not good news on the running front but it's my own fault for being stupid! I did the same 3ml route today as on Mon and did the same thing - walked 1st mile, ran/walked 2nd mile, walked 3rd mile. And my right knee is hurting now. But it's all my own fault for being stupid. After hurting my back I haven't restarted the strengthening exercises - and they were the ones supposed to help my knee from getting painful - I'm such a dick.

Annoyingly (and frustratingly), the touch-typing course I'm doing has reached the stage where my speed isn't quite fast enough. I'm having to concentrate even harder and repeat lessons several times to get to the required grade (13 wpm) to be able to move on. Grrrr ..
  • Options
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel: Good to see that you’ve managed to start running/walking again, but oh dear, you do sound a bit down and annoyed with yourself. We’ve all been there haven’t we, either coming back from injury too quickly or pushing too hard or, as in your case, dropping rehab exercises from your routine too quickly. Whatever the cause once it's happened you just wish you could turn the clock back to undo the mischief. The silly thing is even though we know what we did wrong we never seem to learn from it (or perhaps I’m just speaking for myself as I know I always do too much too quickly when returning to running, then wonder why my body complains). Anyway you’ve realised what you’ve done wrong, so hopefully getting back on track with your exercises will sort your knee out. Good luck at the physio today.
    It’s typical that when one frustrating thing happens another one follows close behind (i.e. touch-typing). When I was teaching myself to type I seem to remember making quick progress at the beginning, but then reaching a sort of plateau and finding that I had to spend more time practising the same lessons over and over in order to maintain and then improve my accuracy. Keep at it, it’s worth it in the long run.

JB: Well done to Mrs JB :p  I remember years ago, when Steve and I used to run before work, I’d set off a few minutes before him and see how long I could keep going before he caught me up. It was motivating for both of us (although he always did catch me in the end). Have you heard about your Covid appointment yet? I received a letter yesterday inviting me for mine (but at a vaccination centre, not my GPs) Once I was able to log on to the NHS booking system I managed to get an appointment for next Thursday. It was a bit frustrating because the site kept chucking me out and advising it was having a “problem” no doubt due to the number of people all trying to book appointments at the same time. 
    I like your 1966 temperature conversion memory aide, I hadn’t come across that before but will remember it now.

HS: I can sympathise with Mike regarding that dog, I was running with some club mates a few years ago in a park and a dog ran into us from the side. As I was on the outside of our group it tripped me up before the rest saw it and managed to take avoiding action. Fortunately I didn’t fall all the way to the ground as I just fell forward onto the runners in front and after a few ungainly staggering steps managed to regain my balance. The owner looked totally unconcerned. 
    I hope your left calf is feeling better today, good job it happened at the end of your session, as the muscle would have been well warmed up by then and with luck no major damage has been done. I also change my shoes after 500 miles. I don’t know if that advice is just clever marketing, or based on actual evidence, but I feel it’s better to be safe than sorry.

No Grandma school this week as it’s half term, but we’ve realised that although it was tedious at times the school work did at least give us a structured day. We’re finding the lack of this is proving very taxing in trying to keep our gd occupied from breakfast to bedtime, without collapsing with exhaustion ourselves. We’re trying to fill in the time with walks and getting her to practise riding her bike, we’ve also done some painting, made a robot from empty boxes and even tried some of the experiments in a science kit she got for Christmas (the timer with a lemon powered battery was only marginally more successful than the vinegar fuelled rocket). At least the weather has improved, which is very welcome indeed. 
  • Options
    Well, I think I'm a member of the Mel Bad Knee Club. I'm an off and on member but I prefer to be an off one. In fact, I'm a bit crocked generally as my hip is playing up and yesterday I had my worst migraine to date. I don't get blinding headaches or sickness  just visual fireworks which would be very worrying if I were still driving. I usually shake them off after 20 minutes or so in a darkened room but this little devil kept coming back. I've no idea what triggers them.

Looking on the bright side, it's good when they go!

Like Aquarius we are on grandparent duties this week - only the 3 days but still pretty full on while it lasts. 

This morning, just to make my week even better, a tax bill arrived out of the blue! Cue a long time digging through my payslips and contacting HMRC. Their mistake this time. I reckon I spend more time worrying about my meagre tax affairs than Donald Trump. I might even be paying more than him too!

But, hey, we are very. very lucky compared with most and as gran used to say, worse things happen at sea.

We got a bit fed up waiting for the local jab appointment to come through so have now booked an appointment involving a 40 mile round trip. I realised that this will be the fist time I've left our town since Xmas and neither have I seen the inside of a supermarket.

Sorry for the 'moanathon'!  (I've just realised how miserable I must sound.)
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I hope todays appointment with the physio went well, and will be the last. 

Thanks, the calf is feeling ok today, and after my walk to the supermarket tomorrow, will try a gentle jog. 

That conversion formula of your does ring a bell with me, but I don't think that I have ever used it. I've got a barometer, with a thermometer attached, which has Fahrenheit one side and centigrade the other, so I can see at a glance both.

Sorry to hear that your right knee is causing trouble now, but could have been prevented if you had continued with your strengthening exercises.

It must be frustrating for you to have reached a certain standard with your typing, and then have to repeat the exercises before you can move on. I can't remember the speeds that I needed to pass my exams, but I don't suppose that I am as quick now as I was then.

Aquarius, I'm more cautious these days regarding injuries. I've learnt the hard way that you can't run then off, but just make them worse. 

Good luck with your Covid jab next Thursday. My sister had hers on Tuesday at the Leisure centre where I had mine. She had a different one from mine. I had the Oxford and she had the Pfizer.

You were very lucky with your encounter with the dog. but I don't suppose the runners that you fell on were very impressed😁

Thank you, my calf is feeling better today, and I don't think that I have done any damage. You are right to change your trainers when you lose your confidence in them. Back in the good old days, I never kept count of the miles I had run in my trainers, but was probably well over 500 miles.

It must be very hard work doing Grandma duties. My friend Karen has 5 year old twins, a boy and a girl, and finds it very stressful trying to school them at home, whilst working full time. They have both run a mile, which is good for their age.

JB, oh dear, you are "really in the wars!" Thankfully I've never had a migraine, but I've worked with someone who did, and he had to lay down until it cleared up.

That tax bill sounded a bit of a nightmare, but luckily you had the relevant paperwork to enable you to get HMRC to admit they had made a mistake. I got a brown envelope from them a couple of weeks ago, but thankfully it was just advising me of my new tax code.

A 40 mile round trip to get your Covid jab sounds a bit extreme, I think I would have waited for a local appointment. 

The only times I leave the house is twice a week walking to the supermarket, and when I go for my runs.

A rest day today and tomorrow, because of the calf strain, but I might try a little jog after the shopping.