Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - like Aquarius, I was pleased to see the putative ESL has lost all six English clubs. Personally, although they've now changed their mind, I think the Premier League should boot them out and the FA should make them join a lower league for collectively being money-grabbing dickheads. That would hit them where it hurts - in their pockets.

Aquarius - I phoned the garage a short while ago and they said to pop up there (they're only 400yds up the road from us). One of the guys took a look, removed some dust and muck from part of the braking mechanism (whatever it is that allows the brakes to operate on and off) and took it for a test drive and said it seems okay now. Time will tell - but at least there was nothing mechanical wrong, which was my first thought. Like your grand-daughter, I like the coloured balls and have some red, pink and purple ones along with the white (and off-white) ones. But I don't use the coloured ones if there's any water hazards nearby for fear of losing them. My friend Alan is fine at DIY - he just needs a 'prod' to do jobs sometime .. and (whisper) he's probably busy playing golf instead of working. After struggling to fit my own hose reel I'm not going to volunteer to do his diy for him. Our back garden is about 30 metres long and 12 metres wide. Well done re your easy run - I guess a path on an old railway track would be good for a time trial - but would no doubt be popular with others. It's a long time since I've been out at 6:30am but I did enjoy the peace and quiet of being out and about that early.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, good luck with your golf match with Alan on Friday. Hopefully your new grip will pay dividends.

Thanks, Mondays run was one where everything seemed to fall into place. It doesn't happen very often.

I hope Margaret soon feels 100% again. Which jab did she have? I had the AstraZeneca.

Good that the garage mechanic has had a look at your braking mechanism, and that it seems ok now.

Aquarius, that's interesting that your Granddaughter played golf in her PE lesson. A bit different from when I was in the Infants School. 

Thanks, the ground was rock hard for Mondays run, and a lot of the trails are now clay, having been churned up by the wheels of the tree loggers lorries. I prefer the mud, but it hasn't rained for some while, and non forecast for the immediate future. I meant to say that the fog was a peasouper Monday morning, and didn't start to clear until after we had started; the sun then broke through🌞

Well done for your early morning 3 mile run. The majority of our runs start at 8.30am, and we see very few people in the forest at that time. I hope you enjoyed yesterdays 4 mile walk, and are able to suss out a suitable course for Fridays time trial.

This mornings hill reps session went well, and was tougher than it looked in the training schedule.

Glad that the ex policeman has been found guilty on all 3 charges, and hopefully, this will be the beginning of a complete overhaul of the American policing system. I suppose he will appeal, and drag it out for months. When he is imprisoned, I imagine he will have to be in solitary confinement, otherwise he would be battered by the other prisoners, who might kneel on his neck.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Aquarius, well that's a good tip about  (literally) picking up the grandkids form school  and I shall seriously consider it. They are getting a tad heavier these days and while I did used to swing them around  bit a couple of years ago. it's a bit harder now. In a few years they'll be helping me to stand up, I expect. I'll have to think about copying your high protein diet - although tricky as I'm a veggie. (since I was 15 and long before it was trendy!).

Mel, tree roots = nightmares! ESL is dead and buried (for now?). The digging is fun - up to a point. I know there are many folk who spend whole days at allotments but this is for social reasons as much as anything. Some of the plots are immaculate and put ours to shame. I've got a feeling that your garden fits into this category!

HS, you are nearly crossing that 70% WAVA threshold again!. I'm sure if we put you on our prom, you would smash it. (The 70%, not the prom!) As for my bike, it's not a racer but a rather smart hybrid that my sons got me for my 60th birthday. It's a cracking bike and not much slower than a racer (or 'road bike' as they are now called). I did a few duathlons when I was 61 (run-bike-run) and loved them. So many potholes these days would disincline me from anything speedy.

I walked along the prom today and one of my age group rivals came running past. I had to be physically restrained from chasing him! Talking of which I think the Achilles is getting better and might be able to do something gentle later this week. However, I'm very keen not to lose my reputation as a nutter so I can report that I'm getting bored with 'standard' press-up and pull ups and now wear a 20lb vest for them. This is not easy but I can knock out 10 x10 press ups and 7x5 pull ups. If only I could train the grandchildren to hang on to my shoulders while I'm doing them, it would be even more fun!

Seriously (believe it or not), I am quite goal oriented and there's a specific cross-fit event that I'm training for. However, it's an 'event' only ever held in the USA,  so I'm unlikely ever to actually do it - other than virtually. And it's so obscure that hardly anyone in the UK has ever heard of it, yet alone done it. (It was mentioned in the Runners World magazine once and that's where I got the idea.)

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A measly 1 mile run today to test the Achilles. I've had less than 2 weeks off and yet running felt like I was doing something that my body was totally unused to. Such a strange feeling. How does anyone take up this sport when it feels so hard? The Achilles will let me know tomorrow morning whether I passed the test. (I almost hope I didn't so I don't have to go through that again!)
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, yes, the 5 mile forest course was very hilly, and hard and rutted underfoot. I'm sure that I would be able to run a quicker time on road.

I've never done a duathlon, and unfortunately, never will now, as I'm too nervous to cycle on the roads nowadays.

You have the same competitive streak as me, as I'm always tempted to try and catch any runners that have overtaken me. 

Press ups and pull ups wearing a 20 lb vest is very hard core. I can imagine, once your Achilles is ok,  you attempting a 5k run wearing the vest😀 

I've noticed on strava, some of our runners are doing cross fit sessions.

I hope your Achilles passed its test today.

I had a well needed haircut this morning, and my hairdresser told me that she had had a nasty fall on the ice 8 weeks ago and has only just started running again. 

I had intended to have a rest day today, but it was such a lovely morning that I couldn't resist getting into my kit when I got home, and going for an easy pace 10k road run.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - I think Margaret had the Astra Zeneca jab .. she wasn't feeling quite so washed out today. Fingers crossed for the brakes and the squealing on my car .. it didn't make any noise when I drove today so fingers crossed that continues. Well done re that hill rep session. I was pleased to see that Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges of murdering George Floyd - whether that translates into the whole US police system being overhauled remains to be seen. Not at all surprised to hear with the good weather, you couldn't resist an easy run on your rest day ;)

JB - the tree root at the end of the garden has been there for years. When we moved in I made tentative attempts to uncover the extent of it that needs to be removed and have since filed it under 'too difficult' until I've nothing better to do. Our garden is far from immaculate - we just try and keep the grass and weeds under control. I have taken on looking after the raspberries as my 'pet project' since I tidied up the bed and moved some of them back into line. I'm keen to keep them well watered so we get lots of nice juicy fruits. I have some 'cultivated' brambles on that spare plot at the end of the garden which I train up against the fence and will also keep them well watered and looked after. That way, there will be plenty of fruit at the end of the season for Margaret to make jam with. Had to chuckle at you needing to be restrained when your rival ran past you on the prom :) Hope you're right about the achilles getting better. Wearing a weighted vest for press-ups and pull-ups? Yep, you're definitely our resident 'nutter' ;)  Imagine how I'm going to feel in a week or so when I try a walk/run for the first time for a month or two (having not run regularly since Dec).

I cut the lawns today - they hadn't actually grown that much but as it was garden waste day tomorrow, it seemed daft not to.

I popped along to the driving range earlier for some practise - thankfully I only hit a few 'duffers' so I need today's practise to convert into a good round tomorrow when I'm playing Alan.

I was pleased to see that (so far) none of the local cats have decided the new seed beds where I've planted the wild flowers makes an ideal toilet!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Mel, good luck with your golf game today. I think it was your putting that let you down last time? Hope you don't get the 'yips'! It sounds like you are quite a committed gardener? I tend (like you, I think) to be more interested in cultivating  stuff we can eat rather than just look at. Talking of which, Mrs JB made a very nice rhubarb crumble for tea yesterday. 

Our allotment will never live up to the standard of some. Today we have booked a session (as you have to book, these days) at the local dump to get rid of some rubbish. By comparison with the allotment, the garden is very low maintenance,  The lawn could do with a mow, though. These days we are happier seeing the bees on the daisies than looking at an immaculate lawn.

Sorry to hear of Margaret's reaction to the AZ jab. Hope it's only short-term.

HS,  that fall sounds very nasty. We should at least be clear of ice for the next 6+ months (4 months tops, for Aquarius!). And the nice weather does tempt you out to do extra runs. I love this time of year. 

Well, the Achilles didn't like my little run yesterday and even being the thread's nutter I wouldn't venture out now for a 5K let alone one with the weighted vest on. I did do a longer workout last night with the thing  on. I was doing sets of press-ups but found getting up between sets was actually harder than doing the exercise itself! So I simply remained slumped on the floor, like a beached whale. For the record, I'm up to 15x10 press ups and 15x15 squats in under20 minutes. It's the pull-ups that do me in. I need to get up to 20 sets of each. Nobody knows why.

Interesting to hear from HS that runners are using X-fit. The real X-fit nutters are all built like tanks and tend to look like school bullies on steroids (including the women). Running isn't their strongest suit. If I turned up to an event, I'd get sand kicked in my face. (And the men might bully me even more!)
  • Options
    WtnMel, glad to hear that Margaret seems to be making progress now, after her jab.
    It sounds as if the problems with the brakes and squealing on your car have been sorted out now.
    I doubt very much whether there will be much change in the US police system. It seems that racism is bred into them, and stretches way back to the slave trade.
    You will find it tough, I believe, when you resume running again. It's surprising how quickly we lose our fitness, especially as we age. 
    I remember a couple of years ago, or perhaps more, you allowed your grass to grow "wild." during the summer.
    I've found that whenever I do any digging, the cats believe its a new toilet for them.
    Good luck with todays golf match with Alan.

JB, that fall was very bad and I think broke some tendons. I suppose I was lucky as she doesn't live all that far away from me, and I never slipped. This was probably because I kept off the road and pavements as much as possible, and ran mostly in the forest.
    It makes sense for you not to attempt another 5k until your Achilles sorts itself out.
    I hope you don't do yourself "a mischief" with all your x -fix  exercises. As a matter of interest, those that I have noted doing the exercises, are not built like tanks, but are quite slim. I suspect that they might be trying to put weight on.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow is another 5k. Sarah has joked that my new hair cut should help me to run quicker🏃‍♂️🤣
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I played golf, including putting, better yesterday (see below). I do find I enjoy gardening more these days - it's nice to put the work in and enjoy the results later in the year. I haven't been to our local recycling centre since last year but assume you still have to book ahead. Our garage is a mess - as we've only been able to dump stuff in there for a while - so I really must get on with sorting out stuff and then book a slot. Margaret has recovered from her 2nd jab now. Sorry to hear your achilles complained about your little run.

HS - there was some slight squealing from the car when I braked as I drove to golf yesterday. But the sound stops after I stop braking so I'll ignore it for now. I'm not looking forward to how unfit I'm going to feel when (or if!) I'm able to start running again.

We have a 5' tall 18" diameter metal 'thing' (pergola?) for growing climbers up - I retrieved it from the shed yesterday but do you suppose I could find the nuts & bolts? (which I would have expected to have attached to the frame but they were nowhere to be seen!). I can see I shall have to pop along to the diy shop for some replacements.

I didn't win at golf yesterday but Alan only won by 3 shots, which is an improvement on previous rounds. He beat me by 4 shots over the first 9 but I beat him by 1 over the second 9 holes. Definitely getting there - and my putting was (mostly) much better than in previous weeks.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    JB: I’m sorry to hear your run on Thursday was so disappointing. I know exactly how you feel, I’ve been in that position myself countless times and it is very dispiriting to come back from a relatively short term layoff and find yourself struggling like a beginner. I’m sure that once you are injury free and able to train again properly “normal service will resume” fairly quickly given your underlying level of fitness. However I think the fact that your Achilles was still troubling you the following day may be an indication it’s trying to tell you something (i.e. REST!!). Rhubarb crumble I trust you declined in view of your wish to lose weight? 
    You are right btw when you say nobody knows why you need to get up to 20 sets of pull ups, squats and press-ups. Even Arnie would pass on that, especially in that vest. However, it occurs to me that if you really are training for an obscure cross-fit event (I never know when you are being serious) then maybe that is why you are torturing yourself with this strength work? 

WtnMel: Good news that you don’t seem to have a problem with your brakes after all. Also good that the cats haven’t turned your new seed beds into a toilet, we have a lot of trouble with cats leaving us “presents” in both front and back gardens (and occasionally from deers in the front garden). I hope your successful golf practice on Thursday resulted in a win yesterday? I hope Margaret is now fully recovered (and that you have been spoiling her while she was under the weather)

HS: I had to laugh at you fitting in an extra run just because the weather was nice on Thursday. That sounds like a painful fall your hairdresser had. It’s so easy to do on icy ground, even when just walking. Fingers crossed that Sarah was right and your new hair cut will make today’s 5k run a super speedy one.

I decided to use the athletics track for my time trial yesterday, but unfortunately I made a bit of a hash of it, mainly because I couldn’t understand the instructions. I thought the whole session lasted for 2 miles once I'd done an unspecified warm up run, after which I would do my 1 mile time trial followed by a 1 mile cool down run. It was confusing because it just said to start with a warm up then the watch would prompt me when to start the time trial. So I warmed up for about a mile, then as I didn’t get any prompts to start the time trial I assumed I had somehow missed it, and wondered if I was supposed to start the time trial after warming up for a mile as that seemed a reasonable warm up distance. So I decided to just start my time trial anyway. At the end of a further mile my watch displayed the message “start time trial” I wasn’t amused. So I had to do another fast mile, then thankfully I was able to ease off for the cool down mile.  (Sorry if all that sounds really confusing). Today was a tempo run, which went somewhat better, although I ran it too fast according to the stats when I downloaded my watch. Again it was a confusing session as there was no indication of what pace to run except for some general notes about tempo runs which said to run them 15 secs slower than target pace. So I did, but when the watch downloaded I saw the stats had a new display and included the target pace for my tempo run, which was about a minute slower than I ran it. :o  Next week’s training sessions look rather more challenging so I hope I can get these ones right.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: I've realised your post appeared between me breaking off to take in the Sainsbury's delivery and then pressing Post Comment on my post. I knew I should have posted it before seeing to the shopping!
    Anyway congratulations on improving your game so much, particularly the putting, and hopefully it'll be a win the next time.
  • Options
    Good morning all,

WtnMel, glad to hear that Margaret has recovered from her second jab now. 
    Hopefully the problem with the squealy brakes is sorting itself out.
    I hope that you can find nuts and bolts to fit your metal climber thing.

Sorry that you didn't win at golf, but good that you are definitely improving. Hopefully you will win the next match.

Aquarius, yes my hairdresser did say that her fall was very painful, and needed 8 weeks rest before trying to run again. She is definitely feeling lack of fitness after such a long lay off. She is still finding it a bit painful, having to stand up whilst cutting hair. 
    Sarah was right that my haircut would make me run faster, but only 2 minutes quicker than last week, as that was the 2nd slowest that we had run since starting the Saturday 5k's.

Your time trial does seem to have been a bit of a "pigs ear!" It's a shame that your watch didn't show the appropriate instructions at the right times. I'm impressed though that you were able to programme it, even though it didn't produce the required results. Good that your tempo run went better, although again, the data wasn't very helpful. I'm wondering what app you are using to produce all this data. Mine is all on Garmin Connect, but that comes up with contradictory data. For example yesterdays 5k, which I ran as hard as possible, came up "as a recovery run," which was the last thing it was. I tend to ignore most of the data it comes up with, as it is all calculated on algorithms. Good luck with next weeks training sessions, and hopefully the data will be more beneficial.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow we are doing a forest half marathon which involves navigating round a number of check points. This is similar to the earlier challenge, which had different check points, with the object being  doing it in the shortest distance and quickest time. I've studied the course and check points on an OS map, and have hopefully planned the best course which I have inputted into my phone and watch. With a bit of luck, we won't get lost, and running further than necessary. 

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS: I'm using Garmin Connect, but I'm not programming my Garmin for these training sessions. When I decided to follow a training plan I had to choose one of three coaches, then provide the date of the 10k I'm training for, how many times a week I can run, plus my target time my 10k race. After that Garmin produced the plan, although the details of each week's workouts are only produced a few days in advance. I believe this is because the programme is adjusted according to your progress. This coming week I have a Steady State run (which includes 2 miles at goal pace), an Easy run, Goal Pace Repeats ( I think this will be like interval training) and Hill Repeats. I think it's just going to take me a bit of time to get used to the way the instructions are set out, and having done each type of session once I should then be okay with the rest of the programme.

Good news that your haircut "shaved off" 2 minutes from your time last week. :)
    Your HM tomorrow sounds challenging, but also interesting, well done for getting the course planned and input onto your watch. I hope it goes well for you.
  • Options
    X-fit update. Managed 100 weighted pull ups/300 squats yesterday, 28 minutes. Just to clarify: yes, I am preparing for an 'event' in a way. But it's too boring to go into details. Oh, OK then.......no, I was right first time. The reference to folk built like tanks was to the professionals (against whom I of course benchmark myself as a 66 year old wimp). They do a lot of explosive power events. And take a lot of steroids, I suspect.

Mel, well done on the golf. You are closing the gap (gulf?). 

Aquarius, all the messing about sounds so frustrating.  Well done for your patience, a virtue I was born without, (One among many!) I wish you hadn't mentioned the diet. I've put on a couple of pounds. How's yours going?

HS, fabulous weather for a run. I wish I could join you. That event sounds like a great combo of physical and brain training.  Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Well. I know and understand that your kids let you down. Bur surely not your grandchildren? Read on.........

Today I went to the Junior Parkrun. I was going to pretend I was 10 (some of them are quite big) and go for the win, but I just thought I'd cheer on Lily, 5, on her debut. She came last andI had to tell her that this was totally unacceptable. SHE DIDN'T EVEN SPRINT TO THE LINE. Of course I've disinherited her. Next week, an improvement please, Lily my young lady, or there will be consequences!

Actually it was a very sweet event with lots of parents and volunteers cheering them on. Who knows? One of those little 'uns might turn out to be an Olympian. It might even be Li......
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - still no 'presents' from any cats on the new seed beds of wild flowers. But Margaret has chopped up some orange peel and liberally spread it around on them to persuade the cats to go elsewhere (if the garlic and chilli powder aren't already enough of a turn-off for them). I saw a slightly strange looking route on Strava from you but hadn't sussed that was you doing circuits of a running track. Sorry to hear about the confusing instructions for your time trial - my only experience of anything like that was setting up a session on Garmin Connect many years ago and downloading it to my Forerunner 305 .. but I've not tried doing anything similar for many years. I'm never used to be sure either what a 'tempo' pace run was supposed to be compared to my 'easy' pace. I liked the reference to HS having 'shaved off' two minutes after having his hair cut .. pun-tastic mate :)

HS - at golf, I sometimes think my friend Alan is "The man with two brains" as he can easily calculate our stableford scores on the fly. I've probably mentioned I struggle to get my head around or respective handicaps and how that affects the stableford points we score. He emailed me with yet another explanation - suffice to say, I'm still just as confused. Good luck with that forest HM which it sounds like you have planned out with military precision - makes me remember the military rule of 7 P's (poor prior preparation and planning leads to p**s poor performance)

JB - sounds like good progress with those weighted pull-ups & squats. Sometimes it feels like a chasm between mine and Alan's golf prowess. I may have mentioned I'm seriously considering joining my local golf club so I can attend the Wednesday 'roll up' sessions for seniors and get more practise (based on the premise that the more you practise at anything, the luckier you get). I presume you told Lily she let herself down, she let you down, she let the whole family down ... :)

Don't think I mentioned I had a text this past week inviting me to book my 2nd jab - I'm having it on Thu afternoon. I didn't have any side-effects last time which I hope will be the case this time as on Fri we're driving to Tring (2 hr drive). My Aunt's ashes are being interred and after a short service, my cousin has booked a couple of tables at a nearby Beefeater restaurant. Just 12 of us will be there - not quite the family get-together I think any of us had in mind but nonetheless, it will be nice to see everyone face-to-face for the first time in months. We'd normally stay over at the nearby Premier Inn (because we have time to spare and we can). But obviously, I'll have the 2hr drive back afterwards. At least it will still be light - I hate driving in the dark.

I was able to find the bolts I needed for the 'pergola' I mentioned. I've assembled it all and it's waiting at the end of the garden until we're ready to plant the climber.

I've not been getting out for any brisk walks lately and was doing them, along with the strengthening exercises, with a view to having another go at a walk/run in a week's time. It's easy to 'potter' each day and the exercise never happens, so I've decided to do what I was doing in the early days of the first lockdown last year. I'm planning to set the alarm for 5:45am tomorrow with a view to being out walking from 6:30am and getting the walk over and done with before I decide to get on with something else! Wish me luck - as I've not been getting up until 7:30-8:00am for quite a few months.

Early days but have just had a zoom meeting with my swim club committee with a view to re-starting our swim sessions on 23rd Mar. They would be limited numbers and lane-swimming only - so not the 'normal' sessions we would run - but the first stage is we'll canvas the membership to see how many are interested.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Well .. I did get up this morning, but a little later than planned at 6:30am. I managed to walk 2.5mls before breakfast and having re-read that article I mentioned (about WalkActive) tried to put it into practise. I averaged 16:22 per mile overall and clocked the 2nd mile at 16:06 pace so definitely some improvement in my walking speed :)
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: It’s so easy to get out of the habit of doing your exercises isn’t it? I’m the same, I find I can do them regularly for weeks, then miss a day or so and it all goes downhill from there. I was thinking about you when I got up this morning at 6am for my 4 mile “steady state” run and wondering if you’d manage to fit in your early morning walk, and I see you did. 16.06 is a very respectable pace, we usually wander along at around 20 minute miles. I remember a few years ago I had to meet Steve at the end of a race he was doing (but I wasn’t) and I had to walk quickly to get there on time. I seem to recall the pace was about 15min miles, and I ended up running the last half mile to get there on time to see him finish. I remember it was pretty hard going walking that quickly.
    Re cats - we’ve also tried orange peel, garlic and chilli powder. We even bought some plants that were supposed to keep cats away. I can’t remember what the plants were called now, but they didn’t work anyway. We now have electronic things that we’ve positioned around the front and back gardens, they emit a very high pitched whistle when the beam is broken, as well as a red light. Usually we can’t hear the whistle ourselves, but sometimes we do and it’s not pleasant. It’s not 100% effective, but it has cut down on the cats toilet activities somewhat. 
    Sorry to hear about your aunt, but I expect it will be good to get together with other family members. I hope your 2nd Covid jab goes well and you have no side effects. Steve has his second one on Saturday, and mine will be 2 weeks after that. I have to travel to a vaccination centre in Newcastle for mine, like the first one, but Steve is luckier and just has to walk down the road to our surgery.

JB: Oh dear, poor Lily, perhaps HS can send her the wings for her next parkrun (I’m assuming she hasn’t been put off by the experience and she’ll be lining up again next week?) You’ll have to appoint yourself as her personal trainer and get her going on the pull ups and squats. Did you discuss pacing and tactics prior to the run? If not then perhaps that was where it all went wrong.
    I haven’t got on the scales yet to see if I’ve managed to put on any weight, but I suspect not as I seem to busier than ever, and running more too (only a bit more admittedly but it seems like a lot more). I intend to give it another week then get weighed. Please send any surplus pounds up here asap.

HS: How did your forest HM go today?

My steady state run this morning was a mile warm up, then 2 miles at target pace, then a mile cool down. Once again I couldn’t find any guidance prior to my run on what the target pace was, but once I’d downloaded my data after the run the target pace was displayed over the pace chart. I’ll have to have a good look at the training plan again to see where this information is, it’s very frustrating not to be able to have it before doing the run. I’ve got Pilates again tomorrow then Wednesday is my 3 mile ‘easy” run. Still trying to fit in stretches and strength work, also some yoga if I can.
  • Options
    Mel, I reckon it would be good to take advantage of any extra golfing opportunities. I remember in my cricketing days, I was a much better batsman the more I played. Unfortunately with cricket, you can turn up for a game and 
    a) get out first ball - and then have a week or more until the next opportunity when
    b) the next game might be rained off anyway!

That's a very decent pace for a walk I'm sure it does all sorts of good things for your fitness. Plus there's little chance of injury.
    That, with your possible return to swimming (and not to mention the golf), should all add up to a pretty impressive fitness routine.

I had a longish walk today to meet an old friend who I've not seen for a while. When I got home I noticed the Achilles (again). If walking (slowly and along flat terrain) has this effect, then I'm a long way off running.

Some time ago I mentioned my resignation from a voluntary, independent role with my local council. It seems that this has triggered a little bit of interest with the press and I was 'interviewed' today. Not sure what, if anything, will emerge from this.
    I'm sure it won't make the national news headlines!

Back on the rower which is no fun but doesn't irritate the Achilles.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Aquarius - it's too easy to get out of the habit of stretching or exercising regularly. Getting the walking done prior to breakfast definitely gives me a good feeling. Well done for getting out for your 4ml SS run. I think that 16:06 mile was the fastest I've ever managed - the woman who was featured in the article I read about (the 'WalkActive' website) can walk at 4.4mph which I just looked up, and that's equivalent to 13:38mm pace! We tried one of those electronic cat scarers once but they never seemed to work.

JB - I think I'm slightly worried if I join the local golf club I'll be playing against much better opposition. But then they may all be old codgers and they 'hack' their way around the course like I do sometimes. I know that's where the handicapping system comes into it's own so I think I need to pop down to the golf club and speak to someone to find out more about how the seniors section works and the standard of play before committing myself. I'm pretty sure they have a monthly direct debit option so at least I won't be having to make a large outlay before I get to see if I'll really enjoy belonging to the club. Sorry to hear your achilles was causing you aggro again - but I seem to recall Dr Aquarius prescribing rest? Interesting to hear your resignation has prompted some interest from the local press - hopefully that will make you the hero of the piece rather than the villian! ;)

I dragged myself out of bed again this morning at 6:30am and did 3.6mls before breakfast. I remembered to ask Margaret to get some new batteries for my hrm so was able to wear that today for the first time for a while. It was interesting to see my heart rate figures for a brisk walk (avg 102 - max 118).

• Options
    Mel, I see your point about golf. I wouldn't want to turn up to play a (competitive) game and be outclassed. I remember I was trounced at squash once and it was a bit humiliating. When I played cricket the level was so low that it was impossible to be outclassed, although I do remember 'guesting' for a very good touring side (they didn't know what they were getting!) of club cricketers and feeling like the weakest link. In team sports it's worse in some ways because you can let the team down.
    Did a digging shift on the allotment today. Nice to get a bit of a sense of achievement. Then walked the 3 miles home - considerably slower than you, I suspect. The weather is due to change over the next few days.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, thanks for explaining the Garmin training plans. I wasn't aware that it had the ability to do this.

The Hardly a Half challenge went well thank you, and I'll detail it below.

I see from your latest post that you are still getting to grips with the Garmin training plans. I hope you are able to sort the data out. Hope todays Pilates went well, and I hope you enjoy tomorrows easy pace 3 miler.

I've just noticed that you and Steve will soon be having your second jabs. I hope they go well with no after effects.

JB well done for the pull ups and squats, I think you are training for the World's Strongest Man🏃‍♂️😁

What a shame that Lilly came last in the junior park run. I'm sure that she will do better in future runs.

Sorry to hear that your Achilles is "still playing up," meaning that you are unable to run  at present.

I see that the local press have taken an interest in your resignation. I doubt whether this will make the headlines, as our dodgy PM is hogging them, and likely to for some time yet. Even the Tory Daily Mail has been having a go at him.

Best of luck with the rower.

WtnMel, I haven't really got a clue about golf, with all the technical terms, let alone handicaps etc. Pitch and putt is my limit.

I'm sure joining your local golf club will help you to improve. You are bound to pick up some tips from the other players.

I hope your second jab on Thursday goes well, and that you don't have any after effects.

Sorry to hear about your Aunt, but I suppose meeting up with other members of the family will be nice. 

Well done for the improvement in your walking pace. You could possibly become a race walker!

I hope you are successful in getting the swimming sessions started again.

Your heart rate readings from your brisk walk seem to be very healthy.

Thank you all for wishing me luck in yesterdays challenge which went really well. The actual distance was 13.74 miles. There were 5 of us and we all enjoyed the run. It was bright and sunny, but with a very cold wind. The terrain was rock hard, and the course was very hilly, and rutted underfoot. There was very little mud, so we were glad that we hadn't decided to wear trail shoes. The navigation went well, and we didn't deviate from the plotted route. We took a photo at all the check points, and I will post one tomorrow.

I hope I haven't missed any points from your posts, but there was a lot to catch up with.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - that is the beauty of golf handicaps where I could play someone who is far better and still beat them. I'm sure my worries about 'finding my feet' with the seniors section at the golf club are unfounded. My avg pace this morning was 16:48 so a bit slower than yesterday (16:22). Looking at the videos of the technique I'm trying to use, I wasn't swinging my arms enough so I'll try that tomorrow and that may well help me speed up a bit. A plant we ordered (Choysia) arrived today so we've been in the garden planting that out, along with a clematis which has had that small pergola I mentioned put over the top of it for it to (hopefully!) climb up and around.

One other bit of news. I've been getting a bit frustrated with my current Huawei mobile because of a lack of memory - and there's the ever-present wondering how much data is finding it's way back to China. I originally got it with a monthly contract with Vodafone but had been on a sim-only contract with them for a few months. Anyway, I saw a reasonable deal with Vodafone for a Samsung phone so today, I ordered an upgrade. Margaret also has a Huawei phone and has also been frustrated with it. But she's had the additional problem of a poor mobile signal (she's with O2). She doesn't like change at the best of times and doesn't like the 'hassle' she thinks it will cause switching over. But when she compared her current contract cost with the one I signed up to - and wanting a more reliable mobile signal - I managed to persuade her the hassle wouldn't be as great as she thought. In fact, when she rang O2 to cancel her existing contract, it was much easier than she feared, especially getting the PAC code so she can get her number ported across. So she has also ordered the same Samsung phone as me and they should both arrive tomorrow. So I know what I'll be busy doing for the next few days (mostly, downloading apps on the new phone and transferring files and contacts).
  • Options
    HS, good run and look forward to seeing your photos. I too used to have the occasional game of pitch and putt but it seems to have disappeared. I think what's happened is that it's gone upmarket and is now known as 'par 3'. JB junior plays.

Mel, I love the concept of handicapping but I do hear that there are some 'bandits' out there who rig their handicap? One of the best funeral speeches I ever heard was from the son-in-law of a guy I worked with. He came up with some wonderful anecdotes about the deceased's  golf handicap and how his ball would sometimes take a mysteriously 'short' journey to the green! It was all done with affection and humour and went down very well. (A bit like the guy's putting I suspect!)

Well the journalist came round today and set up all the kit for a interview.............and the heavens opened. So we had to quickly pack up his very expensive equipment and deferred until tomorrow. 

Having note the comments about our PM above I must say I watched PMQs with growing incredulity. He raged so much that it reminded me of the quote about 'protesting too much'.

Back on the nutter exercises today. Won't bore you with the details.  Mrs JB joined in yesterday and knocked out 300 squats in under 10 minutes wearing my 20lb vest! Even more remarkable she did them in 6 sets of 50 at a time. She is a formidable lady.

• Options
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel, our posts crossed. 

I hope by swinging your arms, it helps to increase your walking pace. 

My previous phone was an Huawei which was excellent,  but I got rid of it as I was so frustrated with the problems syncing it with Garmin Connect, Strava and fetcheveryone. At the time though, there wasn't the concern about data being fed back to China. 

My present phone is a galaxy S8, which I have had for just over 2 years. I've been with O2 for several years and get a very strong signal. I can even get a signal in most areas of the forest. 

Today was a Kenyan Hills session in the forest. I haven't done that one for quite a while, so I enjoyed it. 

As promised, I attach a photo taken at one of the checkpoints during Mondays Hardly a Half challenge. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I've not come across any 'bandits' .. probably because I only ever play with Alan. But I'm sure there are some players who keep their handicap high on purpose. One reason why I've never have (and don't intend to) played golf for money. Oh dear re the journalist interview getting rained off. I normally see PMQ's in the "Week In Westminster" programme on a Monday .. but not at all surprised to hear Boris protesting and raging at people pointing out his lying and asking 'difficult' questions. I'm impressed with Mrs JB's squat-ability.

HS - as you'll see below, using my arms this morning improved my pace. I must confess, I'd forgotten all about not being able to sync my Huawei with Garmin Connect and Strava. With a more up-to-date phone and more space available, I'll have try downloading both apps and see if they work with the Samsung. I really hope Margaret is happy with her new Vodafone sim - I've promised her the signal is much better than O2. If she's not happy, I'll be in BIG trouble and probably get beaten up ;) Well done re that Kenya hills session. Loved that photo - a happy looking bunch of runners.

I walked again this morning despite the rain (polishes halo). Whether or not it was using the arms more, I managed the 2nd mile at 16:00mm pace. As I'm playing golf tomorrow morning and driving to/from Tring on Fri (4 hrs driving), that will be it for walking until the weekend.

Our new mobiles were delivered mid-morning. After charging mine up, I've spent the day off and on installing the apps I've got on the old phone and then making sure they're set up the way I want. Samsung made it very easy to transfer data/files/photos/messages etc. as they have software called "Smart Switch" which you install on old/new phones and it then transfers the data via the wireless connection. I was going to see about moving my sim card and SD card to the new phone but the Android operating system has just decided it needs to update so after a short intermission, I'll continue :)

Of course, once I've got my new mobile set up and running, I have to do it all over again with Margaret's phone - but will be more up to speed on how to setup apps and/or change various settings. Then next week, Margaret's number should be ported across from O2.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, our posts crossed. I watched PM's Question Time, or Captain Sleaze, as Starmer called him, and he didn't answer a single question, but then, he never does. He was indeed, red with rage and anger, and in my opinion, that is what people do when they are guilty, and trying to change the subject. He is the king of waffle and bluster, which I suppose he learned at Eton.

I'm very impressed with Mrs JB's number of squats, wearing a 20lb vest.

I've added one of the photos from Mondays Hardly a Half challenge in my previous post.

WtnMel, I'm glad to see that swinging your arms has improved your walking pace.

I hope that Margaret will be pleased with her new Vodaphone sim. I'd hate to think of you being beaten up🤣 It is odd, but Vodaphone seems to be the worse provider in the New Forest region. People are always complaining on Facebook. 

This morning was a nice easy pace road run, but the pace was quicker than I expected from the effort I was putting in. Hopefully it means that I am getting fitter. I'm ignoring the remarks that Garmin Connect comes up with after my runs. For example, Saturdays 5k , Mondays 13.74 miler and Wednesdays Kenyan Hills, were all classed as recovery runs. Todays run was correct , as it was a recovery run , but it was contradictory as it advised that it was harder than my usual runs.🤬
  • Options
    HS - great photo and you could tell even without the sign that you were in the New Forest. What's a Kenyan Hill session, please?

Mel, I now see you as our resident IT hardware guru! The walking is coming on well. I did a 4/5 mile dawdle today, some of it pushing my bike to the repairer (taking advantage of the £50 'fix your bike' token) and am totally shattered.

Well the reporter came back yesterday and we did about 1 hours filming. Most of it was the interview but as it was in my garden he wanted to film me doing a bit of digging! Mrs JB thought this was hilarious as

a) I hardly ever do any digging in the garden and
    b) the soil is like iron and the fork almost bounced off it!

I now await the finished package. Most of my meanderings will end up on the cutting room floor. Funnily enough I found it very stressful - and this is someone who earned a living by giving 2 hour lectures to up to 400 students. But there's something about having a camera and mic pointing at you that is very intimidating and I got awfully tongue-tied.

No career in the media for me! 

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, a Kenyan Hills session is one where a number of cones, usually 6, are spaced out up a hill equal distance apart. The aim is to run hard up to each cone and jog down, increasing the pace up to each cone and down, and the fastest effort up to the 6th come and jog down. That consists of one set. The aim is to do 5 sets, but it depends on the fitness of the partakers. 

I find walking to be more tiring than running.

I'm sure that I would find an hour of filming to be stressful, especially if I struggled to answer some of the questions.

I've just remembered, back in 2017, I and another club runner were interviewed by the ITV before the start of the Southampton Marathon. It was shown on the ITV News, but heavily edited. 

I am 10k short of 200k for the month and was tempted to get out and run it this morning. I'm more sensible these days though, and decided that a rest day, which is usual on a Friday, would be more beneficial.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternooon all,

JB: I expect you’ll become a local celebrity following your interview today. I love the fact they filmed you digging your garden, I wonder what sort of angle they are going for there? Local man digs the dirt? I think it would have been better (funnier?) if they’d filmed one of your extreme exercise sessions.
    How’s the Achilles? I hope it’s improving. I see Mrs JB is just as nutty, sorry I meant to say focused, as you where exercise is concerned. As a 6.5 stone weakling I certainly won’t be picking an argument with either of you in the foreseeable future. (That reminds me I must get on the scales later today, perhaps I’ll wait until my mid afternoon Chicken boost.)

WtnMel: I hope you have had no side effects from your second Covid jab yesterday and you were on fighting form for your golf game with Alan. That was a great pace for Wednesday’s walk, I think HS is right, you might become a race walker at this rate. New phones are always nice (once you have got used to them), I hope Margaret is pleased with hers and glad she made the change. Do you find the Samsung is an improvement on your Huaweis? As I type this I imagine you are just getting ready for the return trip from your aunt’s funeral. I hope it all went well and you enjoyed meeting up with family members again.

HS: That was a great run in the forest on Monday, and a great photo as usual, I’d be interested to know how far into the run you were when the photo was taken as you all seem remarkably fresh.
    I agree with you about Boris, I think he’s rapidly approaching his sell by date.
    It’s strange that Garmin keeps recording your runs as recovery runs, (I can hardly imagine Kenyan Hills ever being thought of as recovery runs :D ). Is there anything you can edit in the settings to alter that? I don’t get any feedback on what my runs are being recorded as but perhaps that’s because we have different watch models. Incidentally well done on yesterday’s easy pace run ending up quicker than you expected from the effort you were putting in. Your fitness levels put us all to shame.
    On the subject of Garmin I’ve finally found where the information is regarding the pace I have to do for the various workouts. It’s my own fault for not wearing my glasses when I run, because although I knew a screen was briefly displayed when the run starts I’ve never been able to read it. I think that must be where it tells you about pace. However I’ve also found that if (while I’m still in the house wearing my glasses) instead of selecting “Do Workout” I select instead “View Details” a screen comes up with full details of the different sections of that day’s run, along with the target pace. Today’s was - Start with an Easy 1 mile run, then do three repeats of 8 minutes Hard Running followed by 4 minutes Easy walk/jog. Finish with a half mile Easy run. I already knew the breakdown of the session, as it was on my plan page, but this particular screen also had the information that the three sets of 8 mins were to be done at race pace, which was between 9.35 and 9.55. (My actual times were 10.06, 9.55 and 9.58 I think the first set was slower because my easy warm up mile was on an incline, so not that easy.) I’ll know in future to always check the View Details screen before leaving the house.
    I’ve one more session this week, which is tomorrow’s Hill Repeats. They look pretty straightforward - Easy 1 mile warm up, 2 sets of “Strong Running” up a 400m hill returning with a slower downhill pace, then finishing with another Easy mile run. A video regarding hill repeats was included which advises using a hill with a 1% to 2% incline. What a joke, there’s nowhere (other than the track) around here that is that flat. I think I’ll just use the Derwent Walk as that must be fairly close to 2%, but I certainly wouldn’t call it a hill. 
    I’m still currently trying to fit in a bit of yoga plus the strength work too, but as the weeks go by and my training mileage increases I might have to cut back on the yoga.  

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS: Our posts crossed again  :D. That's amazing mileage for a month, but well done for not being tempted to go for the 200k