Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

20 miles midweek including a track session-very impressive HA. Sounds like you are coming back to form nicely!  

Definitely the correct decision re. the ultra Millsy and I agree completely about picking up an injury at this stage. Probably why I'm reluctant to do any intervals.

Promising signs Scott-getting there!

Well done on the 17miler Ramjet-enjoy the easy days.

Having rescheduled my session to today because of the weather it was no surprise to be greeted with wind and rain as I set out at 4:10 this morning. Was supposed to be 12 with 7 but I changed it slightly to: 1 mile warm up, 10 miles in 58:45, 1 mile warm down. Felt ok but legs a bit heavy so pace wasn't great. Coffee and porridge badly needed now! Have a good one. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah Tom, terrible pace there, you should be ashamed. Great running as usual and great dedication. You really deserve a top run in London.

I am feeling like things are coming together like you say and feel much faster now than 3 weeks ago when we did Wokingham. Unfortunately I'll be missing my scheduled long run today. I'm feeling buggered anyway as my older daughter aged 5, was sick 4 or 5 times overnight and then my younger daughter, 8 months, was also up once in the night. Bit of a zombie right now.

Great back to back long runs Ramjet. 
  • Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    HA - decent track day double that. I quite like the idea of that - will be interested to see how it goes. Sounds like a good idea to skip the long run.

Reg - glad there is at least some improvement. also looks like your cycling is going really well. I need to find 9 watts somewhere.

Good luck for the relay SQ - always wanted to do one of those.

Tom - 4.10!!! And a sub 60 10 miler. Just when I though I've heard it all from you. Great stuff.

I've just noticed on this forum you can 'LIKE' posts. I liked one of Scotts the other day about getting back into running (great news btw). I want to make it clear I won't be giving out these like's willy nilly, so if you get one from me, you know it'll be well deserved. 

Had a half decent run last night, 10 mile progressive starting at 7.15 with the last two 6.07 and 6.07. Those last two absolutely did me in - I can't remember the last time I was that spent at the end of a run. Just happy I'm back to being able to push hard again.

On the flip side, had a shocking swim this morning. Was pathetic.

Deputy race director for the TR 20 this weekend down in south west London - we've got 400 or so people running, should be good fun. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the Vo2 explanation NE - hope you get some mileage in.
    Good luck with the 10k Ram and anyone else racing this we.
    Well done on the sub 60 10m Tom, always nice to read about whilst I try to prise my eyes open over a bowl of cereal.
    HA - world book day at my kids school today, hoped you packed the 5 yr old off in a suitable vomit related costume? Seriously, hope they get well soon.
    Nothing much to report here other than looking forward to Sunday's 14@mp for a yardstick of where I might be.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Macca - It was a obvious choice, we went with Regan from the Exorcist. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Promising signs HA.

Tom - You can't resist a 10 miler at MP. Nice run.

Joe - Nice prog run. Swimming is an unforgiving mistress it can so easily and suddenly become hard. I am sure you will find at least another 9 watts and more over the coming months. My job is to find another 10 so you need to find 20. Where does it stop?

Seems like a good move Millsy.

I am starting to think about running, hopefully in a week or so. In the meantime I had to content myself with a 4km swim this morning. This gives me a similar level of morning smugness that I used to get from the MLR commute run to work.
  • Options
    HA - nice one, in the hour or so I've just spent in a queue for a NHS mot blood test I could only come up with Mr Creosote, not really a book character.
    Sounds positive Reg.
    Joe - nice prog run, I missed that whilst thinking about vomit.
  • Options
     Bloody hell Tom!!!! 4:10 .....at first I thought you meant 4:10 min miles and thought Jeas that is quick!!!! Then I realised you meant 4:10 in the morning. Are you a vampire?
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Positive news by the sound of it Reg. You deserve a change of luck!

HA-hope the kids feel better asap and you don't get it!

Nice Progression run BR-building nicely.

Not a vampire FBT-Just a 'nutter' according to many (particularly my wife!)
  • Options

Impressive 20 mile day HA! Nice work on the MLRs TrevO and Sorequads, the long run Ramjet, the progression run Joe and the casual sub-60 10 miler Tom.

Glad the feet are on the mend FBT and Reg.

I had my third swimming lesson yesterday, thankfully the calves are slowly getting used to it and I only cramped once. Progress! Long way to go with the swimming though.

Another of the dreaded 12 with 7 @ LT sessions for me this morning (thankfully the last though). It was a bit breezy, and very wet, and my hands went numb so definitely a good one for building mental strength! I averaged 6:33/mi for the LT section. I was hoping for a bit faster given I did 13.1 at 6:22/mi at Worthing, but actually 6:33/mi is roughly my Daniels’ adjusted LT pace so not so bad I guess given the conditions. I’m used to running LT runs at faster than HMP, but suppose now I’m getting faster and doing big mileage I can’t expect to manage that all the time.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Tom you're a genuine inspiration. In previous marathon training years I used to look at P&D and think it was absurd to have so many MLR in the week. But getting up early has been brilliant and the only way I could have fitted it in whilst keeping the family happy. And as Reg says, the feeling of smugness... I've mostly managed this by sacking off shit tv at night. Not missed to be honest. 

Good toughing it out, spoons. I think you're right that the faster you get the harder it is the hit HMP in training. I can barely do it at all. But you've got to think about conditions, less motivation than in a race and running fasted. The training effect should still be the same. 

Hope the kids are better soon HA. An 8 month old waking only once in a night does sound a result though. 

11M easy today rather than 12 with 4 at LT. 5K road relays tomorrow. No taper so will give it full beans. 

P&D certainly means you get through the shoes - another pair of NB Frsh Foam Zante 2 (ponies to name ever) ordered today. Happy beer/wine o'clock everyone. 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    How do I get 3* after my name? Does that mean you're all some kind of budget hotel?
  • Options
    Sick kids.  There's a certain instinct that makes it really gratifying to look after them... but a guilty tinge of regret that it's costing you a run!  Good luck HA.
    Great run spoons... Tom!... Good luck with the w/e runs - I see some tough ones lined up. That 5k relay looks really interesting.
    Physio today. £35 well spent - if only for peace of mind. He found lots of bits of tightness in calves, hamstrings, hips, shoulder/neck and loosened me off - although they don't feel much better right now. But no real explanation of why my legs have got like this. Anyway, he cleared me to bat on with more running and see how it goes. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Amazing that 10 miles in 58 min can be a plan B for Tom!

Nice mid week LRs from HA77 and ramjet, I'd struggle to find the motivation knowing that I either have to get up at tom o'clock or have a late night to fit it in. As others have said, it must feel great though to get it done. 

More good recovery news from NE and reg, although it must feel slow going for you guys. 

Spoons - great effort considering the mileage you've done. How did the pace compare to the last LT session? You might want to ease back a bit on paces though as if you're finding it hard to hit your true LT pace, maybe you're not recovering enough from your easy runs. It's always hard doing it solo and I've never hit HMP either but I do know roughly what pace to expect each time I do it. 

10k tune up today and got round in 39:41 with a reasonably hard effort. Was hoping to be closer to 39 mins flat but the weather is still not cooperating. At least it was a consistent pace on an undulating course. 

Anyone else racing this weekend?

• Options
    Good luck to anyone doing a tune up race today. 10k xc for me on tired legs but should be interesting.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Sounds positive NE-hope the recovery continues to go well.

Excellent LT session spoons. Don't worry about hitting paces in solo training runs when you know what you can do in a race. I hardly ever reach HM race pace in training!

Well done on the tune up 10k John.

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Wow, the thread is really starting to move again as we all settle in to the new style. 
    Tom- amazing sub 60 10 miler in the middle of the night!
    HA- hope the kids are getting over their illness. 
    NE- Hopefully you can get stuck into your comeback now
    Joe- also looks like you are well on the comeback trail.
    Spoons- well done on even attempting the 7@LT can fully appreciate how tough it is on tired legs.
    JohnOz- sounds like a like a decent tune up 10k performance. 
    Good luck to all those racing and MP long running this weekend. The relay sounds interesting SQ. 

I visited Blandford parkrun to see if there was any speed left in my legs. Ran the out and back course as my warm up and then lined up at the start where there was a handful of decent local talent there including a UTMB winner and a member of the GB 100k team. I started off in 6th and was a solo effort for the whole 5k. 5th was about 30secs ahead and 7th nearly a minute behind. Was very happy with 18:24 considering my recent milage. I did manage to do a "Scott" and take a tumble trying to negotiate the turn around point too fast. 
    Then did a steady 10k with some of the Salisbury parkrun team helping to pace the people doing a 8min mile tempo. 
    Now putting my feet up before tomorrow's long (easy) run. 
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Just had a catch up read. Some great running from the usual suspects & some new ones!

I've been in Berlin all last week & not got the miles in that I wanted really. I need to push mileage now for the next few weeks. 

I wonder if the *** next to names refers to being "promoted to Level 3"? But no-one knows; what a bizarre forum. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Great 10 mile tempo Tom at 4:10 in the morning!

Glad things are improving again Reg.

Nice to get the dreaded 7 @ LT out of the way Spoons.

Good 10K result there John.

Very fast parkrun Millsy!

Did I mention I have a 10K tomorrow? ;-) Easy runs yesterday and today so nice to have a bit of bounce back in the legs. Forecast looks wet but it's only 10K! I got my 10K PB at the Trafford 10K last year but it was found to be a short course. They have added the missing 100m this year so the plan is to equal my time of last year and fix my laughable official 10K PB of 41 mins.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Just back from the most unpleasant run of the campaign so far. The weather was atrocious with hail storms and gale force winds! Was planning on doing 22 but only did 20 in the end and could have easily stopped well before that. 6:55 min avg. and was a real struggle throughout-mental battle and the legs felt terrible. Glad to have got it over with.

Hope conditions have been kinder to everyone else-particularly those racing! 
  • Options
    Well done on the tune-up John.  Not sure if that was a solo effort or race, I find there can be a minutes difference between the two.
    Ram - hope the 10k went well today.
    Millsy - very quick PR there, especially so given the tumble. There is online chat of a PR starting about 400m from my front door soon, might have to get involved.
    Tom - well done on toughing it out to 20, probably worth 22 in those conditions, at least that is was I would tell myself.
    With half an eye on the weather :p I brought my LR with 14@mp forward to yesterday.  It fair wiped me out but the mp section averaged 6:54 with a little bit of fade in the last 3 so I'll take that as in the ball park for sub 3.  Hopefully a half in a couple of weeks will back that up.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tom, well done on roughing it out. Not great weather today. 
    Macca, saw your run on Strava last night. That's probably the hardest run in the book (if doing it solo) those numbers point to a sub3 on the day. 
    I had similar conditions to Tom so pacing was a bit erratic. I think 17 of the 18 miles were in the 8.20-8.45 ballpark, just the last mile, uphill into the wind and rain brought the average pace down (or up) 
  • Options

SQ - The three stars are a right pain, as this shitty forum software keeps emailing you about how you’ve been upgraded. 

Physio news sounds positive NE.

Thanks JohnOz, as I say looking at the Daniels’ adjusted pace I was at about the right speed, so I’m happy it’s still having the right training effect. The pace was close to what I’ve been doing previously, I think my expectations have just changed after the Worthing performance. You’re right though if I was really struggling and closer to (say) 7:00/mi or something I would definitely ease back. Great effort on the 10K in yet more tough weather conditions!

Great parkrun (and long run) Millsy, tough long run Tom, and MP run Macca.

I woke up this morning hearing wind and rain outside, which made getting out of bed for my long run tough. Conditions were a bit miserable for the first hour or so, but it did brighten up a bit thankfully although it was still a bit breezy towards the end. Very happy to have managed 7:20/mi average over 22.6 miles at the end of a big week. Indeed my biggest ever week by a mile or so, and my 6th 100+ mile week in the past 8! My right calf feels a tiny bit tight now (felt fine during the run) but hopefully that's nothing major.

I'll be tapering slightly next week for the Spring Shakespeare 10K on Saturday. It's a very flat course apparently, so quite fancy a crack at sub-38. However the forecast at the moment is quite windy for Saturday, so we shall see! After that it's just one more big week before the taper starts. Not long now!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Excellent MP run there Macca and well done on beating the weather!

Great Parkrun/Long run weekend double Millsy!

Cracking Long run of the back of another monster mileage week Spoons-you really are flying at the moment!

Feel pretty rubbish this evening after today's ordeal and, rather worryingly, I've found a lump in my armpit which is now quite sore and seems to be getting bigger. Looks like I might be paying the doc a visit which I always dread!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice mp macca. Always a killer that one.

Good LRs millsy and spoon. 

Great work on the 10k john.

Hope it's nothing serious tom. I think i stole your run today. After missing out on my long run on friday i got out at lunch today. Got in 17.5 miles and felt great. I think it helped that the first 4 miles were with the wind so was feeling good when turned into the squally hail. Ticked along most of the way at 6:30ish. Pushed for a big finish across ascot racecourse but something about that place funnels the wind so it's twice as strong as anywhere else. Pushing at about LT effort pace dropped to almost 8min/mile. Anyway felt good with some still in the tank.
  • Options
    Sounds like a lymph node getting active due to a virus Tom. Hope it's nothing much more than that and passes quickly.

Amazing long run again RSR at a really fast pace considering your mileage burden.

Great run Macca. I did my own variation of that run with a 20 mile wrapping a half at marathon effort on a fairly tough course in today's rubbish conditions. Came out at 1.23.20 (chip had 1.23.30 but I stopped the watch when I had to re-tie a shoe lace). I'll take that at this stage after 3 weeks of 60 plus miles and with the next fortnight to dedicate to hmp/threshold work.

Very fast long run there HA. Looks like it's all coming back.

Good luck with the return to the fray Tommo.

Well done on that 10k John. How'd the 10k go Ramjet ?
  • Options
    Good luck with that Tom.  Was unusual to read you "bailing out on a run".. if I can call it that, given that you were 20 miles in, under a storm!  Perhaps you were just a bit under the weather (no pun intended there)  I always run in shorts... and hail is the only time I ever regret it (got a bit myself today too).
    Great mileage and speed again spoons. Macca/Millsy/Ha.. looking good.  Look forward to race report from ramjet... and to reading of Tommo getting back into it.

Not sure where I'm at after 4 days rest and physio.  I decided on a short long run today... 14 miles.  First 13 were really good. Without trying, my pace was good - averaging 9:12 for the entire run, despite the first 4m being about 10 pace through muddy fields and woods.  But towards the end, I tired and now my legs feel a bit shot again.  I suspect I won't be good again when I do a run tomorrow or Tuesday, but fingers crossed.  It was certainly nice getting in a good long run without thinking about every step!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done to all those out running & racing over the w/e. Some great times demonstrating the benefits of training properly.

Had a pretty mediocre parkrun/XC double myself yesterday which was partly(pr) down to the wind, partly(XC) due to an Indian on Friday night & partly because my knee's still not quite right. Sabotaged myself for today by staying up til the wee small hours watching the first 2 days of the European Indoor Champs on iPlayer. Laura Muir's racing is a joy to behold. Eventually dragged myself out for a sluggish HM (after watching her 3000m victory on the turbo) to bring up yet another 70M week.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Not ideal weather for a 22 miler yesterday Tom. 20 miles is plenty IMO! Hopefully the lump is just a swollen lymph node as Muddy suggests. I had one last year which went away by itself (but of course you should get it checked out.)

Nice MP run Macca.

Fantastic pace on the 22 miler Spoons. Hope the calf is OK.

Super fast LR there HA!

Nice HM Muddy.

Glad the running is improving NE.

Good mileage as ever Jooligan.

Decent 10K race for me yesterday. Almost missed the start when a closed motorway junction resulted in the most enormous diversion known to man so my planned 3 mile warm up became less than a mile.

As with the rest of the country conditions were very wet but not too much wind and the temperature was good for racing so no excuses there.

Started about 5 rows back and when the starting gun went about 200 people went passed me in the first mile! The race is crazily competitive. The lap pace showed about 5:40 after half a mile which is much too quick for me so I easy off and eventually got the mile split down to 5:57. Still my fastest split ever in a 10K but not too far off my planned 6:10 pace.

The next two miles are slightly uphill so they were a bit slower - 6:15s. My HR was in the right zone and the effort felt OK so all to plan so far. Went through 5k in just over 19 mins.

Mile 4 is a bit downhill and this felt nicer, eventually ticking of a 6:06 mile. Just two more fast miles and my time could be sub 38.

However I started to pay for the fast start here and had to dig in to keep the pace respectable. I normally finish races strong but this time I was getting overtaken now and then and didn't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Mile 5 is also slightly downhill so a 6:13 was a bit slow but not disastrous.

I increased the effort in the last mile as more people came past me and my HR was up near 95% of max. but I could only manage another 6:13. After an age the finish straight finally came into view and I managed a reasonably strong last 400 m at 5:50 pace.

A chip time of 38:03 - about 20 seconds faster than my time on the short course last year so I'll take it. And finally I'll have a decent 10K PB on Po10.

According to McMillan Running my 24:10 HM in January was a better performance but whatever, maybe I paced that one better.

One more week now before the taper
  • Options
    THM3THM3 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Rest day for me today after a character building run yesterday. Heavy rain and wind made it feel much longer than 17mi. Last week before moving into the taper now.

Sounds like progress is being made for the few of you with injuries which is good to hear. Fingers crossed for continued improvement.