Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

1899091929395»

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Looks like I've got a few decent race reports to sift through when I get a spare 30 mins. 
       I definitely overdid the eating and drinking whilst in Crete. Managed 5 x 3 mile runs out there but was too hot / hungover to do much more. 
    A very fast turnaround for Saturday's Giants Head Marathon. Got home at 9.30pm on the Friday and the race started at 8.30 am on the Sat. Any hope of a top 5 place was already written off after stepping on the scales. 7kg heavier than VLM
    The plan was to play it by ear, not go off too fast, power walk the steep bits and pick off a few at the end and hopefully finish in the top 10 and sneak under 4hrs.
     The first 23 miles were spot on (8th) and just as I planned to push on my legs started to give up (shocked by the extra weight to carry) managed to not completely implode but lost a couple of places on the last hill. 
    Crossed the line in 3:51:29 in 11th which was as good as expected. 
    Diet started yesterday and have already booked for my VLM and South Downs Way 50 places for next year. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    AWC - Brilliant report, captured the emotions superbly well!
    Tom - 100k ultra is in August.
    Millsy - Top running, I've heard that is a tough one, well done! I did look at SDW50 but not decided yet!!

12 miles for me this morning, nice and easy 8:30 min/miles. Was nice and cool out too, perfect running weather!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Great report AWC - it sounds so tough. I guess it must be hard when you're feeling rough at mile 43. So much done, but 10M to go is still a long way!

Enjoyed NE's report too and well done Millsy. Some epic summer challenges to be had by all.

8M 6 x 800m on the grass track yesterday. Not quite up to the speeds achieved when spoons is in tow, but happy with the first five at 2:52. 3 easy miles in the afternoon between different schools sessions down at the fields.

10M easy MLR this morning making a return to the canal. Quite enjoying the not following a plan. Still running reasonable mileage with a definite flavour of P&D, but no pressure.

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Like Millsy I've a fair bit of catching up and race reports to get through as I'm also not long back from a holiday of massively over-indulging and very little running. Just started back on Sunday and feeling very unfit but thankfully, although i tend to lose fitness fast I also get it back pretty quickly (hopefully). 
    Theoretically I'm considering this week as the beginning of a long build up to VLM but still hopeful of an autumn marathon between to assess progress. Just need to convince MrsB it's a good idea and then try and find one that fits as i have a good friends stag weekend on the weekend of the 1st October which rules out that weekend and the next at least. Was looking at Warsaw on the 24th September but struggling to get flights that work.
    10 easy'ish miles this morning and now off to a wedding. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Fantastic achievement AWC and great report that brought your experience vividly to life. It reminded me of the highs and lows of my first ultra so really enjoyed the read. Wrll done for toughing it out and you look to be enjoying yourself at the end. What's next for you?
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys - it was quite emotional just writing it!

John: hoping to do Abingdon mara in October. Next year I'll do another 50 miler or maybe 100km in the summer. Probably off the back of a spring marathon as that worked really well this year. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    That's a great report AWC. Well done, sounds like you did a top job of managing your knee. You must be chuffed.

Good work Millsy. Looks like a tough race. Not one where you'd want to be carrying extra weight. Well done.

Good to see you're back at it Alan. How're the injuries at the moment? All settled? I'm also thinking of current training as a long London build up, with Abingdon to maintain motivation and assess progress.

Had planned to do a Hills + Tempo run today but family issues have got in the way. Not to worry.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    First training run for a while yesterday: slow hobble/plod around my local parkrun. Everything very tight but no ill effects today so back to it as rest's done me no good whatsoever.
  • Options
    Brilliant reports AWC and NE - really enjoyed them, fantastic achievements. 

Millsy - good performance in the marathon all things considered. Not anyone can just turn up 'out of shape' and run a hilly marathon!

HA - hope all is ok at home.

The monster week continues for me. Had a 3.8km swim and 40 mile bike yesterday (short day).

Today was a brute. 112 miles on the bike, which is the full ironman distance. Took about 5 and a half hours, an awful lot of time to think about how long 5 and a half hours is. Ran for an hour straight off the bike, managing 8 miles @ 7mm which felt really comfy which is a promising sign.

No let up, with another 3 workouts tomorrow..
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Have started a new thread as the weather here is distinctly Autumnal and I thought it was time!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Is it warmer there Tom? Though perhaps cooler is better for running.
    Should we migrate?
    Your body appears to be coping well JB. I did all 3 disciplines yesterday but total time was less than 150 mins & pace was a lot slower. That's an impressive Brick session today.
    Steady 10K today. First time I've run on 2 consecutive days since May 14th! 
    No wonder I'm 5kg heavier than I was for VLM.
  • Options
    Well done NE, great report.  That should stand you in good stead for the ultra.  For comedy value its a shame you didn't take a detour up Fan Y Big but sounded like a great experience.

AWC - really enjoyed reading your report to.  I liked the way you dealt with everything the ultra threw at you.  As others have said, really captures the ups and downs you have to deal with over the longer distance.  Yes, still have the Abo place.  I'm silly busy at work this week but will look at how to transfer it over the weekend, should just be a couple of emails and maybe filling out a form.

Decent "off the plane" marathon there Millsy, well done.

Jooligan said:
    rest's done me no good whatsoever.
    Jooligan - I had to chuckle at that /\.

Just three work outs tomorrow JB - slacker ;) Great effort today.

As said above, so silly busy at work that it looks like I'll miss the kids sports day tomorrow, for the first time in four years.  I'll be even more gutted if they extend the dads race to full marathon distance.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: thanks - no rush on the place. At least I know I have one now so we can sort the transfer whenever!
  • Options
    Hi everyone - I've only just read back a bit, to summarise what I found to be highlights: Jooligan, ridiculous and amazing all at the same time. Joe, smashing it. Excited to see what you do at Outlaw. Also love how Katie has improved - I'd really like to know how she did it because her old PBs are around my current ones.. any secrets to share? 

Also enjoying very much on here the triathlon chat (of course) and ultra madness.

Just posting a quick note on here so as to not bring down the tone of the new thread which I'll pop over to shortly -  In short, June was a really awful month and I'm no longer pregnant. It's a case of genetics that meant it wasn't meant to be (and nothing to do with running marathons while pregnant!!). I'm ok, and looking forward to getting back to running soon. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you again JCG. Was just wondering where you'd got to a couple of days back. Sorry to hear your sad news though. See you over on the other side. PS thx