Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Thread has zoomed while I've been away.. I'm going to miss things, so instead here is the list:

Manchester 2nd April 
    Olliepop 70-85 18w sub 2:45
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 
    Ramjet 55-70 sub 3:00 
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15 
    Northender 18/55(ish) 3:19
    Just Coop Going Sub 3:45 (GFA)

Brighton 9th April 
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59 
    Rob1978 55-50 18w 3:25
    TrevO 18/55 sub 3:30 (hopefully 3:15)
    Trirunningfaster

Paris 9th April 
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April 
    Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59 
    Goldeagle 18/55 sub 4:00

London 23rd April 
    Lit 
    Slowkoala 
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35 
    Tom13 55-70 18w sub 2:40
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40 
    dct hopefully 70-85 2:44:59 
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Bluemoon86 70-85 18w sub 2:50
    Sorequads 55-70 18w 2:50 
    15West Daniels Sub 2:50 
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54 
    Jooligan 55-70 24w 2:59
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC 
    Mattywarr 18-55 Sub 3.05 (GFA)
    Madbee 55-70 sub 3:10 
    Joe Blogs-BR sub 3.45
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC
    TrevO – Will see after Brighton
    BananaCoop - sub 4:24:50 (GWR)

Southampton 23rd April
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Great 10k training run.
    Spoons - Fantastic PB....looking good for the marathon!
    Tom - Cracking HM effort!!

Final 20 mile long run for me this weekend, but always wanted to get 22 in instead as a confidence booster, clocked in at an average of 8 min/miles which is at the faster end of long run pace, which was good considering the weather.....was wet all run!!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for putting the list up JCG. Interesting reading! Wondering how the likes of Westy, Madbee and others are getting on...
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cheers JCG. 

I was thinking the same tom. I seen AlanB is going well on strava too.

Tempo run went well today. 10ish miles. Last 5km managed to hold 5:30/mile along the thames path. Got a couple of CRs on strava too. Although the guy who did have those records came 6th in the north london half yesterday so I'm sure he could take them back easily if he wanted to.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    If you are hitting 5:30s in training HA I would expect 72/73 on Sunday. Great tempo session-flying!
  • Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Great race Jooligan, although running on shingle beach sounds like a twisted ankle waiting to happen! Great long runs Ramjet, TrevO and SteveMac and MP AWC. Sounds like the quad is ok now HA? Great pace on the tempo! And nice pacing Joe.

Good work digging out the target chart JCG. I think at the moment I'm leaning towards my "A" target being 2:55, "B" target 2:58, "C" target sub-3, and failing that just a PB!? Running 2:55 pace comfortably during a windy (if slightly short!?) Brighton HM, plus Saturday's 10K PB followed by my speediest ever long run, have been big confidence boosters. However I want to see how I feel on the day and will rapidly shift expectations if "A" pace isn't feeling anything but very comfortable at the start.

Had my confirmation today I’ve been allocated to the “fast start” at Brighton, which they refer to as the elite start in several places. So I guess that makes me an elite…  :D

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nice to see the list up again. Looks like a great weekends running from everyone,
    Decent tempo with a strong finish HA

Solid long runs from Ramjet, Trev and Steve. 

AWC, the MP run sounded very positive. Loads of people I know are doing Southampton!

Jools, well done on the Grizzly. I've always wanted to do that one. Maybe in a year where London isn't the main focus.

Jon, Boston is definitely one of my "bucket list" races. My progressive LR is one I made up myself in 2015. I had a good result off the back of it so it's superstition that keeps it in the schedule. 9miles steady, 3 miles MP+ 45sec, 3 miles MP+30sec, 6miles MP then 2 miles cool
    dowm. 

An easy 5 for me. Hips and groin area aching a bit after all the effort of trying to stay upright yesterday. Intervals tomorrow.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice long runs Steve and TrevO

Great MP run AWC.

Pacing 1:30 sounds great fun BR. I did it informally a few years ago for some club mates and it was fab.

Easy 5 miles today. Was shocked to think I will only hit 60 miles this week. Might have to do some decorating  :|
  • Options
    That list of target times needs amending! My last 6 weeks have averaged 22mpw as I've tried to manage what I assume was overtraining syndrome.
    Hopefully things on the up... tonight I had my best run for at least 2 months.  Got my last pre-Manchester twenty-miler in after work and felt really good.  Started to slow in a bit in miles 16&17... but it felt like "normal" tiredness and I almost welcomed that! And in celebration I picked up the pace for a couple of miles including doing a 7:45 in mile 19 just to get my confidence back! 
    Just spent 20 minutes catching up with the thread... some really great running. Excellent grizzly Jooligan... the spoons pb is pretty impressive. Tom... 5th without trying is pretty impressive too. Millsy... tough...  and lots more people knocking out some great paces.  Not long now, for most of us.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.......Glad you had such a good run NE-real confidence booster by the sound of it........Nice steady12 miles @ 6:30s first thing this morning (out the door at 4:05)-quite mild out so only one pair of gloves required!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Tom - Running a couple of good sessions is one thing, running a 72 min HM is something else. I'll be happy if I can run under 75 min. Normal service resumed for you I see. Good stuff. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I see HA is keen to join the ever growing sandbagging group on this thread!
  • Options
    Theres a few people almost running their targets in training  :D It could be a big group.

Seriously, some impressive performances over the last few days, a cop out, but to try and list them wouldn't do them justice.

I'll update my Paris target this weekend but London is looking like a recovery run.

5x1200m for me later today.

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    HA77 said:
    Cheers JCG. 

I was thinking the same tom. I seen AlanB is going well on strava too.
    Thanks HA77, I'm still lurking on here, just not been posting as not had a lot to add of late, but yes I'm starting to get some form again. This is my 4th week of consistent training in a row and I'm already starting to see the benefits. Unfortunately it's just too little too late for London so have decided I'm going to defer and focus on getting in great shape for the spring/summer season. I've signed up for a 10,000m track race at the end of April and that will be my main target for now. 
    Edinburgh marathon could still be an option. I'm 2 minutes too slow to get an elite entry but can still get in via good for age until the end of April.
    Looks like your comeback is going well, fingers crossed for a clean run in to London for you. Good luck for your half and I'm sure sub 75 is on.
    Some impressive half marathon times being posted over the last few weeks, particularly Tom's run at Wokingham. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Alan. Things are going well at the moment. Given the bad start to the year and the fact that my mileage is topping out at about 65 miles/week I'm still worried that I won't quite have built up my endurance properly for London, but I'll give it a go anyway. Edinburgh sounds like good option if you're still keen for a spring marathon. You should be in great shape if you can keep going like you are. I like the idea of a 10,000m track race but I don't think I'd enjoy it much, actually I could probably say the same thing for any distance on the track.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I learnt my sandbagging skills from you Tom. Although I'm still aiming for sub 2:40 at London, which is probably overly ambitious. What's the opposite of a sandbagger?
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I have similar concerns about lack of endurance off my mileage (66 miles biggest week so far)- blowing up in the last 10k is a constant worry!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    HA - Nice tempo session.
    Spoons - Nice goals, I think you are good for "A" based on the way you have been running, especially the 10k!

Another track session today, with 5*600m with reps of 2:04/2:07/2:10/2:07/2:07, happy with those after the weekend long run, did 9 miles in total instead of the planned 8.
  • Options
    Great post-work 20Miler Northender. I don't think I'd be capable of that. I'd much prefer the Tom-esk early morn if I had to choose.

Welcome back AlanB, I often see you about on Strava being all speedy.

Solid track session Steve.

Last 20m for me last weekend too - I ran around all the monopoly streets + extra miles to make the 20. Strava rounded me up to 22 miles though.. I don't know what that's about. My pace was comfortable throughout, but then I stopped to take pictures.. which equalled approximately an hour of faff. So worth it.

Taper time!
  • Options

Not posted on here for a while, things were on the up until due t a mixture of being away in Bristol for the weekend/being away with work meant I didn't do any stretch's etc for about 5 days and running after that brought the knee problem back. Out skiing again in France this week so no running and will make sure I keep the exercises up 

Have seen plenty of good racing etc scrolling through Strava. Getting closer to race day now  ;)

Keep me updated on how you get on with the ladies shoes Joe as I may consider purchasing some in the future as they're so much cheaper!

Picking up on something Millsy said I would definitely recommended joining a group/running club for speed sessions. Makes them so much easier  :)

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good session Steve.

Love a track 10,000m Alan. Did 2 last summer & got a PB both times. Still almost 30s slower than my road PB though. First time I ended up on my own as the lead group of 5 went out too fast for me & the second one about 10 days later I won having taken the lead after 5 laps. What's the target? 

Sandbagging aside it sounds like Tom & HA will be working well together at VLM. If you pace it right from the start Tom I don't forsee any problem with a sub 2:40 given your training/race times.

Elite start it is Spoons as you start in a pen immediately behind the Kenyans. That'll be the closest you get to them mind. 'A' target seems a bit soft to me based on your results so I won't be surprised to see you dip under it unless the wind gets up or we have a sudden heat wave.

Surprised you've not done the Grizzly yet Millsy as it's definitely your sort of race from what I've seen on Strava.

Glad to hear your recovering NE just in time to toe the line at Manchester. I seem to be falling apart but with over 5 weeks to go I'm not too worried . . . yet.

Struggling to walk since the w/e as my L calf is really sore/tight & the R achilles was also very painful so not tried any running yet this week. Knee seems to be appreciating the rest though so probably for the best. Fortunately the weather's been kind so I've used the bike to commute to work. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Millsy: yeah Soton seems popular even though loads of people made a fuss about it being 2 laps (I'm looking forward to seeing family 3-4 times rather than once). It's nice being able to run the course every week which goes past my house. Will also be great seeing lots of familiar faces around the city on race day.

I'm doing a mini-taper this week for Reading HM on Sunday. So 5mi recovery today with a few strides and sprints. Got my first interval session tomorrow with 5x800m (I'd swapped the first couple of interval sessions for the LT sessions I missed with my couple of weeks injury and made the assumption that doing the LTs would be more beneficial for me)
  • Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I forgot Manchester was on the 2nd, that's really not long to go for some.

Think you have earned a little rest after the Grizzly Jooligan!

Nice LR Steve, always good to have a confidence booster. Same too Spoons.

Glad things are looking better NE.

I am still in awe of some paces on here. Tom doing 12miles steady at 6:30 which is only just slower than me VO2 pace and I know I'm blowing a bit after less than a mile. Similarly HA holding 5:30's for 5k. I would definitely like to build on this marathon training plan and hope that consistent running will really help speed me up but not much chance of me getting anywhere near those paces.

10miles for me today with 4*1200m. Still feeling a little niggle in my right leg which is either calf or ankle. Think I can get through this week and then hopefully it will recover during the taper. 

• Options
    I am looking to get GFA time @ London Marathon, would you advise racing 20 miles this week, or racing say only 16 miles at MP.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Very hard to call Kevin without knowing any more about your form & previous experience. I know I'd race it since 5 weeks should be ample time to recover.

That's what I figured Trev + I've got my annual HM this Sunday which I was hoping would be a PB run. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It must be nearly spring marathon race time as I came in the door and Mrs Mills commented that I was looking very thin. 
    10 miles done with 5x600m not quite as consistent as last week's reps but about 20 secs per k faster. No more fast stuff until Sunday's 10k
  • Options
    Jooligan, race times whilst training have all fell into plan, HM in week 1 trainig 1.40 with very little build up. 10 mile race week 8 1hr 12mmin. Done 2 x 16 miles 3 x 18 miles Long Runs. Last 18 mile run done 16miles in 2hrs which is just a head of target MP. Looking for sub 3hr 20min.
    I done sub 3hr 17min in London 2015. However I am now 53 and trying to ensure i am giving myself the best chance of a sub 3hr 20min for GFA.
  • Options
    Kevin... are you doing a P&D plan?  Based on what little information I can see, you've got the pace for sure... but have you built the endurance? You've not run longer than 18 miles yet and have just the 5 long runs in the bag.

That's ok, because you still have time. But I would really spend the next 3 weeks focusing on some slower stuff (especially as your last 18 miler was a long MP run)

Honestly, I wouldn't race it... and I wouldn't even run it at MP. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It's all looking good there Kevin. If GFA in London is your only goal then I'd suggest doing the full 20 at MP rather than going completely flat out which will be a good indicator of where you're at & still leave you some time to recover, get another couple of slower 20M runs in & then taper. 
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Millsy - "Hips and groin area aching a bit after all the effort of trying to stay upright yesterday." I think I missed a post somewhere there unless you meant to post on a sexier thread ;)

Recovery 5 miles today. After Sunday's 18m w/14mp that I brought forward because of a reduced window of opportunity & then a 10m GA yesterday, my shins were complaining. Hopefully that recovery should appease them for tomorrow's MLR.

So I did 14 miles marathon pace bang on 6:40 m/m average. I think VLM strategy will be to set out for sub 2:55 and see. Im a bit concerned though given my mileage seems to be half that of Spoons! (Doing between 40 - 55 most weeks.)