Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Hope everyone's well, just popping in to say good luck to the Manchester crew tomorrow, weather looks to be pretty decent so no excuses! Also thought I'd pop in to give my predictions  ;)

Manchester 2nd April

Olliepop 70-85 18w sub 2:45
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC  [is Reg doing it?]
    Ramjet 55-70 Target sub 3:00   Prediction: 3:04:59
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15 
    Northender 18/55(ish) Target 3:24  Prediction 3:32    Bib No. 917
    Just Coop Going Target Sub 3:45 (GFA)  Prediction 3:45 No 7593
    Mark Holgate2  Target 2.55
    ML84  Target 2:33

Entry by Northender
    Ollipop  2:48  (not seen him post for ages)
    Just Coop  3:43:14
    MarkHolgate   2:59
    Ramjet ***  2:59:59  (*** Sandbagger Captain) 

Entry by Jooligan
    Ramjet 2:58 (SB Captain)
    NE 3:29
    SteveM 3:12
    JCG 3:44

Entry by HA
    JCG Capt sandbagger 3:42
    Ramjet 2:58
    NE 3:28
    ML84 2:32

Entry by JohnOz
    JCG 3:42 (Captain SB)
    SteveMac 3:14

Entry by Macca
    Ramjet 2.59
    JCG 3:40
    SteveMac 3:09 Cpt Sandbagger

Entry by Tom
    Ramjet 2:58 (Captain SB)

Entry by JB/BR
    NE 3.35
    Ramjet 2.58 (Captain SB)
    JCG - 3.41
    ML84 - 2.33

Entry by JCG
    NE 3:20 (Captain SB)
    Ramjet 3:02
    MarkHolgate2 2:54
    ML84 2:29

Entry by Muddyfunster
    ML84 - 2.29
    JCG - 3.42 (SB captain)
    Ramjet - 2.58
    Mark Holgate - 2.55

Entry by Millsy
    JCG - 3.38 
    NE - 3.29 
    Ramjet - 2:58 (SB) 
    Mark Holgate - 2:54

Entry by Ramjet
    JCG - 3.42
    NE - 3.28
    MarkHolgate - 2.56
    ML84 - 2.33

Entry by Scott
    JCG - 3:45
    ML84 - 2:31
    SteveMac - 3:12
    Ramjet - 2:57 (SB Captain)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone racing in the morning! 

On my phone so struggling to copy and paste. 

Ramjet 2:57 capt
    JCG 3:43
    stevemaxc 3:15

enjoy!
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Looks like I missed out a captain. I choose ML84
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    I'm off for a LSR after a week off with a virus. Still not 100% but need to do some running. 

Just wanted to say good luck for everyone doing Manchester! I look forward to the race reports later :)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all the runners and riders today.  

Manchester 2nd April

Olliepop 70-85 18w sub 2:45
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC  [is Reg doing it?]
    Ramjet 55-70 Target sub 3:00   Prediction: 3:04:59
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15 
    Northender 18/55(ish) Target 3:24  Prediction 3:32    Bib No. 917
    Just Coop Going Target Sub 3:45 (GFA)  Prediction 3:45 No 7593
    Mark Holgate2  Target 2.55
    ML84  Target 2:33

Entry by Northender
    Ollipop  2:48  (not seen him post for ages)
    Just Coop  3:43:14
    MarkHolgate   2:59
    Ramjet ***  2:59:59  (*** Sandbagger Captain) 

Entry by Jooligan
    Ramjet 2:58 (SB Captain)
    SteveM 3:12

Entry by HA
    JCG Capt sandbagger 3:42

Entry by JohnOz
    JCG 3:42 (Captain SB)
    SteveMac 3:14

Entry by Macca
    Ramjet 2.59
    JCG 3:40
    SteveMac 3:09 Cpt Sandbagger

Entry by Tom
    Ramjet 2:58 (Captain SB)

Entry by JB/BR
    NE 3.35
    Ramjet 2.58 (Captain SB)
    JCG - 3.41
    ML84 - 2.33

Entry by JCG
    NE 3:20 (Captain SB)
    Ramjet 3:02
    MarkHolgate2 2:54
    ML84 2:29

Entry by Muddyfunster
    ML84 - 2.29
    JCG - 3.42 (SB captain)
    Ramjet - 2.58
    Mark Holgate - 2.55

Entry by Millsy
    JCG - 3.38 
    NE - 3.29 
    Ramjet - 2:58 (SB) 
    Mark Holgate - 2:54

Entry by Ramjet
    JCG - 3.42
    NE - 3.28
    MarkHolgate - 2.56
    ML84 - 2.33

Entry by Scott
    JCG - 3:45
    ML84 - 2:31
    SteveMac - 3:12
    Ramjet - 2:57 (SB Captain)

Entry by Sorequads
    Ramjet 2:57 capt
    JCG 3:43
    stevemaxc 3:15

Entry by Reg
    JCG - 3:37 (SB Supremo)
    ML84 - 2:34
    NE - 3:27
    Ramjet - 3:03 
  • Options
    Oops, left it a bit late for predictions, but good luck to everyone at Manchester, look forward to hearing how you get on.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Anyone tracking the Manchester crew? How are they getting on? Just back from easy paced 21 miler @ 6:40s in glorious conditions. Let the taper begin!!
  • Options
    Some fairly accurate predictions coming through on the tracker.

Hiya Westy, are you on for a spring marathon ?

Nice LR Tom, that might just be my target pace next week.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great run Tom. As Macca says, that's target PB pace for a few of us. 
    Enjoy the taper. 
  • Options
    Can't wait to hear the Manchester stories, looks like some amazing results coming through. 

Awesome me running Tom - wrap yourself in cotton wool you're in great shape!

Massive, massive confidence boost for me today. 22 with 14 @ MP. Did it as part of the Eton Dorney 20. Finished 4th, MP miles averaged 6.19mm and whole run was 6.33mm. Heart rate was lower than normal marathon heart rate so think I could afford to push slightly harder on the day. Really needed that.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Cracking run there BR! What's your target again for London? Whatever it is I think the king of the sandbaggers is ready to take his seat on the thrown once more....
  • Options
    Hi all my hamstring pulled from mile 3 at Manchester today. I battled through and came in at 2:56 which I'm delighted with. I'll be walking like John Wayne for a while. Hope everyone else ran well today. I know ML had a great run.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Mark, that's incredible running on a dodgy hamstring. Top marks for toughing out the last 23. 

BR, great MP run. Definitely king of the sandbaggers 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done Joe, that's brilliant for 22 miles. But could you slow it down for London - I might struggle if I am passed by a bloke in armbands.

I did 20 with 4 miles of finding it extremely hard work this morning - albeit at an easy effort. Just very tight and tired - the taper is most welcome. Nice run Tom, these long runs don't come easy to me.

Mark, that is brilliant. Congrats. I felt like I was running on one leg in the last 6 of my first marathon. But the mind boggles at 23 miles of that.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Wow Mark-when I read "my hamstring pulled from mile 3" I certainly wasn't expecting what followed. Fantastic time on a pulled hamstring! Very well done...
  • Options
    Great run JoeB, epic run! Also well done Mark, especially sub 3 with a pulled hamstring!

I really had a lot of fun at Manchester today. I had a bit of a rush at the start, having given myself all the time in the world to bag drop etc, but somehow I found myself struggling through the crowds to find the 3:45 pacer. I found him with a minute to go, however, I am only 5'1 and somehow the pacer snuck away from me on the 10min walk/crawl to the start line and I lost him. Then my garmin had a meltdown. Enter Nel, from another thread on RW, who had programmed her watch to beep if she went slower than 8:50, or faster than 8:20. What a hero. We stuck together and chatted/ loved life/ shared a fantastic love of discussing splits and remaining miles to go. All was well, we were averaging between 8:25-8:35, until mile 20 when I was struck down but an almighty stitch. I thought it was over. I haven't looked at the splits, but think I was down to 9:00 or so min miles. It took at least 2 miles to get rid of it and recover pace, and it never left completely. By 23 miles it was touch and go, I was trying to do the maths in my head, because Garmin was out by about half a mile after his meltdown and still wildly jumping between 8:50 and 7:50. Unsure of where Nel now was my new tactic was to try as hard as I could. Now, at Manchester you can see the finish line from about .5 miles out. When I saw the finish line my watch read 3:40.. I didn't know if I could do it. My legs were really hurting, my stich was twinging. I was unintentionally talking out loud, telling myself I had to make GFA, then a relay runner lady came past and told me I could do it. She then told me to go hard, so I did. I may or may not have growled as I threw myself towards the finish line. I could see my watch ticking over, 3:43... 3:44... *more growling* but my watch doesn't tell me seconds once I'm over an hour.. so I had no idea how far into 3:44 I was.. then, finally, in what was the most tense 25 seconds of my life I FINALLY reached the line. 3:44:25. 

I am over the moon, and very tired. GFA! YES!

• Options
    Tense!:grin: Great result JCG ! Congratulations on rocking on through adversity at the start and digging in from 23 miles.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Massive congratulations JCG! Sounds like you paced it perfectly....just.....wow, tense finish! Really well done on getting the GFA time you fully deserve after all the hard work you have put in. Enjoy the celebrations!!
  • Options
    Great runs Mark and JCG.
    Even knowing the outcome, that report was tense JCG ! 
    Mark - 23 miles with your hammy against you and getting that result, well done,
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Great results so far.

Mark - that's great to hold things together for that long. Tough enough to keep your body going but something like that can also really affect you mentally and make you lose focus so great effort.

JCG - great race. Timed it perfectly by the sound of it and didn't let those distractions at the start affect you. Top stuff.

Nice mp run too joe. No more  excuses for sandbagging now.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the GFA JCG! A very tense read as well. Hope you enjoy the evenings celebrations. 
  • Options

That is some effort getting through 23 miles with a dodgy hamstring Mark, rest up now and let it recover!

Fantastic results JCG, well done on the GFA  :)

Did anyone see the women's half marathon WR was broken yesterday, also included 10km/15km and 20km WR's too, incredible!

Another 7 miles this morning in lovely sunshine! Still ticking along here yesterday did a 6 mile run and 24 miles on the bike

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Great long runs Tom and Muddy.

Amazing MP run BR!

Well done Mark on a fantastic time with a dodgy hamstring.

Great report JCG and you achieved your goal! Now you can just enjoy London.

A good day for me. The weather was perfect as forecast and my legs felt good when I did a few strides before the start.

The plan was to run 6:5x pace for 20 miles and then see if I could speed up a bit to get sub 3.

Started off at what felt like a comfortable pace, glanced at the watch and the pace was 6:20! Hopefully this would be a good sign.

The first 10 K went past without incident. My pace was a bit faster than planned but the effort felt right. Once the HR in my watch decided to work properly it settled at about 143 which was right where I wanted it.

At every water station I had some swigs of water and poured some over my head as the sun kept peeking out of the clouds and I was concerned about over-heating. After 6 miles I had a gel and felt amazing.

I just kept the same pace going until halfway. The 3 hour pacer was nearly always in sight, about 100 metres ahead. The 13th mile ended on a downhill and I recorded my first sub 6:50 split of 6:46 but was still feeling good. According to the tracker I did the first half in 1:29:54 but I assumed I was slightly behind target.

It was now a case of ticking off the miles until I could start "racing" at the 20 mile point. Mile 17 was the slowest so far at 6:56 but then miles 18 to 20 were back on track.

At 20 miles my watch said 2:17:30 so a 42:30 10K would get me home. I guessed that I needed to do at least 6:50 pace for the next 6 miles. Fortunately, unlike my prediction, I was able to speed up slightly and recorded two 6:46 miles. Things were now looking promising and I kept repeating to myself "I'm gonna do this." The effort was getting harder but my legs were still working, despite a few warning twinges from various glutes and quads. I wonder if this is the benefit of those extra long runs - building leg strength for the last few miles.

Three 6:50 miles and at the 25 mile point I had 8:10 left. This was going to be close. The last mile is slightly downhill and I managed a 6:47 here so thought I was home and dry. However when I reached the 26 mile marker I only had just over 90 seconds left. 400 meters in 90 seconds is 6:00 pace so I panicked a bit here and started sprinting. Of course there is less than 400m left at 26 miles and I had over 90 seconds so in the end I came home in 2:59:45.

This is an 8 min PB and by far my best HM conversion at 2 x HM + 12. I think the improvement is down to the high mileage, regular strength training, extra protein in the diet, perfect weather and very careful pacing on the day. Clearly I didn't have much margin for error but finally a sub 3 is mine!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some awesome running today!
    Like I said earlier, that's a great effort on a dodgy hamstring. You've earned a rest there! 

Fantastic sub 3 Ramjet. Sounds like you was always in control even though it was close in the end. More to come for sure.

brilliant effort JCG for you gfa! I had a similar finish to you today! Not looking forward to my gurning face as I crossed the line. 

I got a reminder how hard marathons are today. Set off with the plan of doing the first 6 at 5.50-6 which went fine. Through 10 in 57/58 mins feeling good but running solo which I prefer. Kept pulling people in all the way pretty much, through halfway in 1.16.30ish and passed Steve Way at 15/16 miles but it all got a bit hard work at 19/20 miles. 
    Managed to maintain my pace and still passed a few more to finish in 18th place in 2.33.55 so a pb of 50 odd seconds. 
    Really didn't think I was in pb shape so it was good to have a plan that seemed a bit ambitious and then nail it. 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Absolutely fantastic! Great reports from JCG and Ramjet. Brilliant toughing it out Mark. 

Ramjet - so great that your pacing strategy worked out well. Nail biting cutting it so close. You must have been elated crossing the line. 

JCG what a read. Nail biting! You can now enjoy London you super hero. 

Great running Joe- solid hit out. I saw your run on strava and immediately thought: future sandbagging captain. 

Nothing to report here. A hangover and driving day. Quite sore from yesterday's run. Looking forward to a run in the cold morning sun tomorrow
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Amazing time ML84, sounds like a strong finish as well! 

Ramjet, well done on the sub 3. Matches my time from London last year with a very similar sprint from 25-26 miles. 
  • Options
    Pretty tough at times, as with any serious marathon attempt.  But just to report that I enjoyed this marathon just SO much.  I want to say the best ever, but when I think back, I've really enjoyed every marathon in one way or another and last year was pretty special.

Will do a race report in the coming days, but 3:28:50. Four and a half minutes slower than last year, but I'm massively pleased.  Weather perfect, seemed to be the best atmosphere and definitely the best organised of my 3 Manchester marathons.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Great runs Coop... and Mark!

Edit... where did those posts from Ramjet and ML84 come from.  Two immense runs.  
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Brilliantly tense race reports with happy outcomes all round.
    JCG: Boom 3:44:25-3:44 = 20 + 10 Bang on Bonus
    NE: Boom 3:29-3:28:50 = 20 + 10 BoB
    SteveMac: Boom 3:12-3:10:15 = 18 +5 BoB
    Ramjet: Boom 2:58-2:59:45 = 18 + 5 BoB + 4x2 SBCapt B
    (not quite sure how this works as if I predicted 2:00 I'd get124 pts!!)
    I think that gives me 114 pts
    ML84: Boom
    MarkH takes the biscuit though running 2:56 with a dodgy hammy for 23 miles!!

Casual LR at above my MP from Tom - that's what weighing 20% less does for you. Must remember the Guinness diet!
    Awesome 22M JB. Definitely puts you in pole for SB Captain at VLM.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Hope all of the Manchester crew celebrated accordingly last night....fantastic results all round!  

Ramjet-Very well executed race-paced to perfection-congratulations on the well deserved sub 3!

Awesome time ML84-sounds like a cracking run!

Glad you really enjoyed it NE. Very well done-looking forward to the report!

Recover well all.