Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Options
    So here we are, blimey how small is the text - need to fine my spec's.

Just an update (for me really) my last post on the old site was on Monday 6th.

YTD = 115.26

I have had a couple of outings since, but will update as usual on Monday.
  • Options
    Urrrggghhh - cheeses crusts... I'm not liking this!!! Blah forum...

Apparently I don't have permission to change my own photo that now cannot be seen... how do I know I'm me!?!?!?

Anyway - on the running front, I've not run since Sunday due to the most raging sore throat ever. I know they say below the neck don't train - above the neck training is fine but this has been agony... last night it hurt so much my eyes were watering and I was lying in bed with tears streaming down my face. Having said that - one of my speedy colleagues sort of goaded me into a track session this lunchtime... and it was good (well, I survived!). 4.82 miles total.

YTD: 187.37 miles (should be 200 by the end of the week - yay!)
  • Options
    A tip for those who find the screen font too small and are using Firefox: click on the hamburger menu and under the cut-copy-paste line you'll see + and - and 100% between them. Click + to increase screen font size for this tab only, others are unaffected.
  • Options
    Oh, and get well soon Nell. My Russian friends tell me that gargling with vodka is good for the throat ...
  • Options
    Vodka works a treat for toothache too.

4 steady miles along the tow path this afternoon. Certainly striding a little better and the pace was noticeably quicker although running to the same feel so getting fitter without doubt. After the run I was recovered extremely quickly, legs feeling fresh and strong. Splits - 9:08, 8:40, 8:52, 8:36

February - 32.09

2017 - 92.90

• Options
    Sounds good JR ...

For me an easy 6.24 miles, just mileage building, proper brass monkey conditions though.

Helloooooo ... is there anybody out there? :)

104.92 ytd
  • Options
    To try out the new forum functions I've just "liked" your run, JR. I hope you appreciate that.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Hi Muttley, being a bit more socially dysfunctional, am tempted to see if I can get the abuse facility to work, am just a bit baffled as to why its there.

Otherwise having a quiet day indoors in the warmth, as got a 30K up in Lincs tomorrow. Time to try on my new New Look tights I think, will be looking the DBs (unfortunately running same as ever)

:* 
  • Options
    Looking forward to the full update on Monday, David!

Great run there JR... and good to hear you're recovering well. Funny how you look just like me in your forum pic now though!  :)

Thanks for the get well soon wishes, Muttley... sadly they didn't work - I've got a full blown head cold but I don't feel too bad so I'm going to try a 3 - 4 mile trot locally this evening just to see how it goes. Nice 10+K run by you in the Baltic weather - driving back from town today I saw a runner in 1980s style short shorts and no socks... his legs looked like poached hams they were so pink!

Good luck running tomorrow, senidM - enjoy looking the "dog's" I'm sure the running will match up perfectly fine!  ;)
  • Options
    Not sure about the new format, but it's the content that counts!

More gym miles for me this week, three 5k's.

Where do you guys stand on whether treadmill miles are easier/same/harder than outdoor miles. I've read that treadmill miles are easier but I just can't get my head round it as always feels harder. I can comfortably run a 25min 5k outside but not inside. Maybe at higher speeds wind resistance becomes more of a consideration.

YTD 132.2
  • Options

Another 10.36 miles including Parkrun making:

YTD = 306.63 miles (OVER 300 mark YIPPEEE)

My guess is that the acres of white space will be used for pointless advertising.

How does one stick your old picture on this thing?

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Dreadmill or Road, 20TO12?, well, record for 50k on the dread is under 3 hours, so.............

just saying.   ;)
  • Options
    115.9 miles YTD

I've run all these on a treadmill. For what its worth I think road running boosts fitness quicker and is harder. However, who cares, both have a time and place. 
  • Options
    20TO10, sadly, in my experience, physically dreadmill running seems a lot easier than outdoor running... but mentally A LOT harder - due to the relentless nature of the pace, you don't get the small natural variations that you get outside when negotiating the undulations under foot so you just have to grind it out!

Awww... Harmander - your photo upload fail has made me laugh out load so hard that hubby had to pause QI as he couldn't hear what they were saying... well it hasn't failed - it's worked with knobs on, I just wasn't expecting a HUGE image of your face appearing as I scrolled down the page. Oh - and well done on passing the 300 miles mark  :)

Did try a short, easy run this evening... with no ill effects despite my nose running like a tap. I'm on the echinacea so hoping for a Lazarus-like recovery ready for an 18-miler tomorrow. Little trot totalled 4.06 miles.

YTD: 191.43 miles.
  • Options
    Nell,
    Lol.
    The scar under my right eye was from a cyclist testing his bike against my face in a local park a little while back.
    Up to nearly 326 after a SLOW LSR today.

• Options
    Nell, LOL
    The scar under my right eye was from a cyclist testing his bike against my face in a local park a little while back.
    A SLOW LSR makes it nearly 325 miles
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Stamford 30K today, v cold, damp, but no too windy, so all good.

Wk:6   31.94 YTD:190.89
  • Options
    Well sadly I have zero miles to report this week at all! Moving house and a poorly wife (tonsillitis) has meant I just haven't had any time in between packing, moving, unpacking and looking after daughter (and poorly wife)! 

Fortunately she seems to be on the mend and even just suggested that I go out for a run tonight after daughter goes to bed!

So stuck on 83 YTD as things stand.
  • Options
    In case others want to know about pacing, please click on the link below for an excellent article.

http://www.redsquirrelrun.com/single-post/2017/02/01/How-to-become-a-pacer
  • Options
    senidM said:
    Stamford 30K today, v cold, damp, but no too windy, so all good.

Oh come on SenidM! How did it go? Good time? Did those funky new tights speed you to a pb? Tell us more!

(Is that Stamford in Lincs? I used to be in the RAF round those parts ...)
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Sorry Muttley, am not naturally loquacious. Tights were snazzzzzy, and warm, if a bit tight round the tum (and I'm a racing snake, under 10stone).

Who'd have thought New Look would sell nice running gear? and only £20, unlike that gear reviewed, who would pay £75 for a pair of tights?

Finished in just over 2:45, actually about 15 min under target, but just felt an easy pace, so all good, but may come back and bite me at Bramley 20 next week.  :#

Oh and yes. Stamford Lincs, near RAF Wittering?
  • Options
    Much better :p

I'll be doing the Bramley 10, hoping for 85 minutes or better (did 82 last year but not so fit now).

I was at North Luffenham, right by Rutland Water. I remember the peasouper fogs well.
  • Options
    This new forum really does look awful.. runs since my last post..

7.3 mile tempo run on the 9th of February
    4.8 mile speed run (pyramid with active recoveries in between) on the 11th of February
    and then a 9.9 steady, hungover long run today in the snow.

YTD 64.2

February - 48
  • Options
    Managed to get in 4 miles tonight, before getting home to a leaking washing machine!

87 YTD
  • Options
    Yuck again. So bland the site, how about a bit of colour. May be if we moan enough they'll re-instate the old one not!
    Two runs since my last post. 7.41m with club on Wednesday and 8.1m this morning in horrible cold weather. 
    YTD = 112.23

• Options
    Evenin' all (well as many as have made it over here from the other side)

Oooff - the cyclist v. Harmander incident sounds grim - glad you are fully recovered with just a small scar as a reminder.

Sorry you've had a tough week Andrew... hope the house move went smoothly and Mrs. D gets well soon. Enjoy your evening run - if you manage to get out!

senidM, great review of the tights and nice (if brief) comment on your run - good running, nice pace.

Good luck Muttley and senidM for next week's Bramley 10/20...  :) (I can't stand the new big grin smiley on here so I refuse to use it!)

Still partially filled with head cold... but went out for LSR anyway. Really glad I did as it went very well. Felt good, averaged 9:50/mi. for 18.25 miles - by far the longest run I've ever done, and I felt great despite the cold (both weather and head). I also managed to take two SiS gels without incident - so I have my fuelling strategy sorted. I now feel confident that I can at least get round a full marathon... even if I run it at 10:00/mi. that'd still give me a 4:22 finish. I do realise I'm still 8 miles short of the full distance - but I feel better about the whole undertaking now.

YTD: 209.68 miles (woo hoo!!!)
  • Options
    18.21 miles today - YTD = 324.84 miles but I have no way of finding out if I have managed to catch up with miles per message as I cannot find out the number of messges posted (or am I missing a trick?)
  • Options
    Ooo - post crashing there!

That's a very good point Harmander - no, you're right, I don't see any way of knowing the number of posts either...  :/
  • Options
    Nell,
    I got an eye for detail - just not one for oncoming cyclists   :)
  • Options
    Morning all,

So a slightly easier week for me as I did the Worthing Half yesterday.

06.02.17 - 8.75
    08.02.17 - 3.12
    12.02.17 - 13.1

YTD = 140.23

Well done Nell over 200 miles already is really good going.

Worthing was fun yesterday if however a little cold and damp, a good turn out though just over 1600 I think.
    My time wasn't to bad at 2.07, I did slow down towards the end though, as passed half way in 55 minutes, but overall fairly happy.

I have my first proper marathon for ages booked for June with another half in May, albeit a Trail, so back to training with a new crisp spreadsheet :)