Options

2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Stewart - Hope you can get back running consistently soon!

Tricia - Well done on the hilly 11!

Cal - The fact you haven't run for a week has probably contributed to the grumbly legs as much as the marathon! At least that's what I find!

OH - Good luck at Strathearn, I've heard a lot of positive things about it :) Did I see your name on the GO33 entry list while I was scanning through?

-----------

The decent week of training continued and I ended up with 51 miles running. Also done 41 miles on my bike yesterday, it's going to take a bit of getting used to, and I'm rather slow but I'm sure it'll come.  I also had a bit of a comedy ending to the cycle as I fell off after hitting a fence post at about 2mph... Idiot!!

Hopefully 16 miles tomorrow, and I seem to be fairly solidly committed to another road marathon this year. Dublin on October 29.
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    tricialitt - Didnt you find it just a little bit liberating having no watch? I had no watch for the second half of the London Marathon and actually quite enjoyed just trying to run hard without constantly referring to the watch for affirmation!

Anyway - this weekend I got out again for another 37km (23 mile) run with the crew. We started in the cold at 4am and had a route that included a few gently rolling hills. The was very gentle to begin with but we found that naturally as we warmed up the pace seemed to creep up too. At the 21km mark we had a significant downhill stretch, so I put in a bit of a sprint for fun and got up to 4:00/km pace for a while! (and then stopped at the tap at the bottom of the hill to let everyone else catch up and regroup. The mood of the whole group was quite jubilant and confident so I didnt feel like I needed to 'babysit' anyone for the last few km's and let myself go a little bit with the last 5 km being a LOT quicker than marathon pace. Oddly enough the penultimate km was quicker than I have ever managed in 1km reps in our speed sessions?! Pulled up from the run feeling absolutely magnificent and loved seeing the rest of the guys come in glowing with confidence and all comfortable and all excited that they'd completed that 37km run at a pace about 15s/km quicker than last weeks effort. I think we're going to see some fantastic performances and big PB's at Gold Coast Marathon on 2nd July.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1018096585

Really looking forward to next weeks 'warm up marathon' - a 42.2km training run where I'm pacing the 4:15 group.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stuart, you are right. I went out for another 4 miles today and it felt better. I was still slow, but not as slow, and my hamstring was less of a nag (it was more of a grumpy glute today).
    I'm considering an Autumn marathon too, but with a few halves booked already, I'd be looking at going abroad in November (Frankfurt or Valencia), which will be expensive. (I mean, it's not like a weekend in Europe is that expensive, but I'm living off the income from my rental flat at the moment so I have a pretty tight budget). Or I could cancel my last half, and do Dublin as well. Hmm.

Nice run, DA.
  • Options
    Thanks Stewart and Stuart, heading down for Glasgow wedding and Els suggested doing Strathearn on way back (but that'll only be my 2nd this year) And yes have entered GO33 again.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles today with 3 (miles 3-5) at MP. My hamstring was definitely grumpier today, and I strongly suspect it's Bikram yoga and not running that is to blame. The fact a whole marathon didn't make it worse seems to bear this out.
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Wee question. I've kinda fallen in with a bad crowd. Okay, not a *bad* crowd, so much as a (significantly more) advanced crowd, taken to doing crazy stuff like hill runs and ultras. I've yet to run my first marathon (September, Loch Ness), and I want to know whether I should be doing these hilly runs (most of which involve climbs of about 500-600m over distances between 10-18k) or whether I should stick to more conventional runs (I'm comfortable up to 18m at this point, though I survived a 23m a few weeks back)?

I tried to do 20K undulating back to back with 18K very hilly last weekend, and it really took it out of me, so I might have to choose to do one or the other, or scale back on both if I want to do two....
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, I am sure you have seen this article on High hamstring tendinopathy, it might be advisable to lay off aggressive stretching until the symptoms ease.
    https://runnersconnect.net/high-hamstring-tendinopathy-injuries-a-pain-in-the-butt/

OH, only two, I though it was more,

DA, another good training run enjoy the pacing group I am sure they will all appreciate your support

SM, great to hear that you are building the miles again, I am definitely a fair weather cyclist.

------------------

4 miles in the rain along the canal last night lots of puddles to wade through, I might go for a short cycle before the gym tonight.
  • Options
    Keeping an open mind on Strathearn after developing stiff back following gardening on Monday.
    Intensive swimming along with stretches in pool do appear to be helping but only 3 days to go ... :/
    5k loop with no adverse effect this evening
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    OH, I tweaked my back in a yoga class the Tuesday before my first half marathon of the year. It wasn't stiff, it was very painful. I had done the same thing once before so I knew that it would last a few days and then go away, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to run.
    On the Saturday, I marshalled at parkrun and standing for an hour left me in quite  a bit of pain. I decided that I would do as much as I could to try and fix myself and then make a decision in the evening. I stuck a TENS on my back, took ibuprofen and did some foam rolling. At midday I did a little stress test and ran around the block, with some strides thrown in. My back hurt but I found I could run. Then I repeated it at around 6pm. I decided I would go to the race.
    The train journey consists of a couple of stops on my local line to Clapham Junction where I change trains. I decided I would walk to Clapham Junction (around 2 miles) instead to warm up. I wore my TENS on the way there. (Unfortunately I dropped it and it hasn't worked since, but that's another matter).
    I did the race and got a PB.
    Anything is possible if you want it badly enough.
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Not so sure I do "want it badly" but last bout of backpain was cured by fast 10mile race!
    Further improvement this morning and will swim again after voting.
    Going down for wedding whatever (and by train which is good)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    If it's just a bit of post-gardening stiffness it's probably nothing to worry about, OH.
    4 easy today. Felt quite tired. I can feel the hamstring but it's not terrible.
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Dammit, that's TWO blackened toes now (after Wednesday's session).... new trail shoes are nice though.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    jtced, hope those nails survive

Cal, well done with the 4 easy, good to hear the hammie is improving

OH, that one way to sort a stiff back, enjoy the trip away and fingers crossed you make it to the start line

---------------

Another 4 miles easy last night, 2 out and 2 back along the canal, signs of improvement but I am not getting carried away, I got a sports massage this evening, which should help release the tight bits.
  • Options
    Today I ran 17:38  in my 99th Park Run. I am so close to 100 Park Runs, only one to go!
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Woke up to rain and wondered if agreeing to pace a 4:15 marathon this morning had been a huge mistake... 

Drove down to Gold Coast for the start and rain was steady but not too heavy. Turns out there was a VERY small field! We had perhaps 50 people in the marathon and a few more doing the 50km (same start time). After the first 500m I was running alone with clearly nobody wanting to run the 6:00/km pace I had been charged with. It was a weird race with a 6.25km dull lap of a predominantly residential area and 6 and a bit repeats for the marathon with a finish line just a timing mat on one particular corner.

Soon enough the rain cleared and actually it was a pleasant enough coolish morning. I found it tricky to stay in 6:00/km and drifted slightly too quick for a while, and had to struggle to hold it back - but with no other runners around me it was really really hard.

Got it all done a little bit too quick (4:12:30) and felt pretty comfortable all throughout. Finish was the most anti-climactic thing ever with me crossing the timing mat and stopping before the lad on the drinks table looked up from his phone and said, "oh - you're done?... grab a medal then" and pointed at a stack on the table. Still seems daunting that in 3 weeks time I'm going to attempt to run 60sec/km faster!

Marathon #7 done - weirdest event ever.... Probably wont rush back there next year! 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad things are improving, Stewart.
    jtced - I know people joke about losing toenails as a hazard of running, but it really shouldn't happen if you have the right shoes for you. I've never had any toenail problems at all. I wear Nike Frees and whilst I don't advocate them for everyone, I've not has so much as a blister from any of the pairs I've worn over the years.
    DA - that does sound weird, but hey, good practise for your target race, no?
    S17 - it would be nice if you can PB for your 100th eh? Or maybe a first finisher?

I got out for 8 miles (easy pace although it did get a little quicker as I went on). Very humid. No change in the hamstring and knees were a little cranky today too. So was my back. I think my body is just being overall grumpy right now. I  notice it's taking me longer to get up to my easy pace (typically that is 10:30 - 10:40) - my pace for the first mile or two of my post-marathon runs have been in the 11s. I know I should be patient (especially as I have a tricky ham) but I do have a 10 miler coming up in a month's time and I was hoping to break 90 minutes. Eh, well, I either will or I won't.

• Options
    Cal - Well done on the 8 miles. You sound similar to me, I take a long time to get moving relative to most, maybe 2 or 3 miles even to get up to average 'easy' run pace.

DA - Well done on the marathon, although it does sound a bit of a rubbish event!

S17 - Well done on parkrun number 99, good time too. 

Stewart - Sounds like cause for optimism!  :)

jtced - Doing hilly off road long runs shouldn't be an issue as long as you are recovering from them, just run them slower than the equivalent road effort. The hills will help you for Loch Ness, although I'd still do some long runs on the road too.

OH - Did you do Strathearn today? Or was it yesterday?

-----------

Been a bit pushed for time this week, so only ran 4 times instead of 5.

15 on Monday, was too quick and really felt it. 6 on Wednesday, was meant to be 10 but couldn't be bothered. 11 including club session of 5x800m downhill reps on Thursday (bad idea with my achilles...) and then another 15 today, much slower than Mondays. I was utterly run down after 50 wet and wild miles on the bike yesterday then a day out at the football afterwards, the less about that the better! :(

I've got my first race since pulling up at Manchester on Friday, Brian Goodwin 10k in Glasgow. I ran 39:09 and 38:21 (which is my PB) on the course last summer, I'd like to get near 40 but would take 41:20. Infact, I'd just like to finish as I think I've DNF'd 4 of my 5 races so far this year! :|
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a lot of DNFs, Stuart. I hope your 10K goes better.
    5 miles today: 4 easy (the first two miles were slower than the second two) and one mile that included some strides. Let's see how the hamstring reacts to that.
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. I'm striving for a good balance between short (faster) runs, often hilly, and longer stuff. Not desperately worried about my black toenails - the first is a lingerer from a run back in January (really) and the other is due to buying the wrong size of trail shoes and being too bloody stubborn to admit it. They're now up for sale (luckily weren't too expensive) and I have a much better suited pair of Salomons which feel great.

Just for the record, with just under 15 weeks until the big day, a typical week is looking like 40 miles of running, split into ~25 miles of longer runs and ~15 miles of shorter ones. Longest long runs to-date are 23 miles, 18 miles and several 13-16 milers. Debating doing just a single long run next weekend of around 22 miles. I figure that I'm possibly slightly ahead of my training plan, so I have some leeway.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's good to be ahead - things often get in the way (niggles, colds, real life). I managed to get a couple of 20 milers in before Manchester and I was going to do a third but picked up a virus, so I had an extra long taper. Didn't do me any harm in the end. I did 5 runs of 18 miles or more and that got me to the finish without needing to walk, and just inside my target time. (Liverpool was another matter, but that was due to an injury. Don't get one of those!)
  • Options
    Yep, Did Strathearn on Sunday, slow and a personal worst (5h33) but still enjoyed it.
    Well organised and friendly run with a few humps!
    Just home this evening

St Magnus in 3w ...?

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Any marathon is an achievement, OH. I'm guessing humps means bloody great hills. :lol:
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    ~1500' ascent
    Returned home to enter us into local St Magnus Marathon on 2 July (and order a new pair of shoes online  ;) )
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oof! So is St Magnus equally humpy? :lol:

It's turned very warm down here in London, which I'm not too pleased about because it means I don't sleep well and I can't use my oven (it raises the temperature in my very small open plan flat even further, which is the last thing I need).
    Still, one thing about waking up absurdly early is that I can get out and run before it gets too hot (though, even before 6am, it was still 15 degrees). Since I have a 50th birthday parkrun on Saturday, which coincides with my club takeover, I decided to throw a couple of fast miles into the mix - something I haven't done for a long while. After two warm-up miles I did 8:34, then a recovery mile, then 8:40. I was supposed to have another recovery mile but I was so pooped I just stopped my watch and walked home. I am clearly not at my best right now because I've run those paces during a half without feeling half as winded. So I think a birthday PB is not on the cards. Whatever time I run will be an age group PB, though!
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Cal - I giggled to myself at the thought of "before 6am" being considered absurdly early! ...and again at the thought of 15C being ridiculously hot!. Just goes to show it just a case of what you're used to. We're all excited around here 'cos its taper time for Gold Coast marathon so we get to sleep in on saturday and dont start our 'not quite so long' run until 5am!!!  [and this evening it was a very pleasant cool drizzly 18C - perfect running conditions!]

Felt sufficiently rested and recovered after this weekends marathon so headed out for a tempo run this evening. (I missed yesterdays speed session as a 'precautionary recovery' measure and was feeling the need to see if I could still run quickly!). The answer? Yes I can!!!! had a couple of km warm up and then hit tempo and just enjoyed floating at a good speed without really paying too much attention to the watch. Put in 6km of tempo before turning around and holding pace. 12km all done at 10-15s/km faster than race speed which was so encouraging I carried on and ended up with my full 16km run having an average of 10s/km quicker than race speed.

Feeling 20ft tall and bulletproof right now... [Quick - give me a cold NOW so I have time to recover before race day in 2.5 weeks time!]
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah, well I actually woke up before 4am, but I always need an hour or so for coffee and, uh, bathroom matters, then warm-up exercises and so on.
    And yeah, we're not warm compared to you but it'll get up to 27 today and 29 later in the week. In London, that's very oppressive. Doesnt' help that I have a west-facing flat so it's hottest right at the end of the day. I hate it.
  • Options
    Cal - You never know, sometimes PBs appear when least expected!  :)

DA - Sounds a good run, but don't push all the runs in your taper or you'll end up being knackered come race day. I've done that one far too often...

---------

Change of plan for me, our training groups race series was this week (I wasn't taking part as I was scheduled to race on Friday) and last night was the road 10k.  So I decided I'd run along and see how I felt when I got there, knowing my achilles won't take 2 10ks in 3 days. Felt ok so gave it a bash, and was quite pleased with 40:15.

Slightly annoyed as maybe in a 'proper' race situation (our race last night had 20 runners, with a 22 minute spread!) such as I had planned on Friday I would be able to dig in for sub 40 but given I've ran that pace for a HM before it doesn't really mean that much.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, that's positive about your road 10K and achilles, Stuart. (And to be honest, there's very little difference in my mile splits of a 10K and a HM. I seem to be a bit one-paced).

I woke up a bit later (5 versus before 4) today so it took me until 7:30am to get outdoors. I'd planned for 6 easy but it turned into a progression run somewhere along the line so although my first mile was a sedate 11:02, my last was 9:38. Which is OK considering I'm a bit less than 3 weeks post-Liverpool. I think the strides I did the other day and the two miles intervals yesterday helped with leg turnover, even if I won't have absorbed the fitness gains yet.

I'd like to be running 8:50 splits for Harry Hawkes, so I've a bit of work to do. It's still four weeks away, though.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    First parkrun since before Liverpool and it was hot, so I ran a rather lacklustre 27:35. I hope this hot weather doesn't last too long. I hate it.
  • Options
    My 100th Park Run and a default time of 59:59. The first time I ran on another course and my second default time of 59:59. Next weekend I will run my home Park Run for the 100th time.