Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Yes MM2 - I have to agree with Marty - at most you would get 30-60s from being in B rather than C.  If you pace appropriately from the start you will linger back and see runners pass you from the previous 2 of even 3 seeding groups.  Keep calm as you will see them before halfway when you overtake them. 

In the build up to Comrades I think you loose too much by 'conventional' marathon racing, i.e. with the conventional taper, hard racing and prolonged recovery.  Rather I would recommend 'regular' Comrades training, then a micro-taper (i.e. no running 2 days prior), The marathon, then resume regular training with a little lower volume the first week then return to fuller volume the next week.  The marathon itself I concur with Marty - easy to steady for the first 18-21 miles - if you like you can go to tempo pace from then.  Just keep it within limits so that you can recover quickly.

I'm not sure that the 8km TT tells you much.  If I remember right you said you had a 1:32 half in which case I would expect you to be more in the range 32-33 min for 8km for standard conversions.  It all depends on what training you do - if you do lots of tempo/interval then I would expect you to be more in line with what I suggest - if you don't do any then your result is good.  It depends on how hard you went out. Frankly speaking I would avoid going too hard in these TT anyway as that is where injuries occur.  I know that well from 2016.
  • Options
    Hey MM I don't think any training run or time trial is going to be an accurate bell-weather for how Comrades is going to play out for you on the day.   Its always a very personal experience for each of us.  Things can go wrong on the day and often things go really well..  Prepare as best you can, be honest with your training regime and you can afford yourself some faith that the hard work pays off. 

Re Paris though,  I agree 100% with Marty.  I screwed this up after my last London Marathon, I felt great all day so wasn't concerned it was a stretch because 'I wasn't racing' (Comrades was in late May then)  But that run followed me around for weeks after.  In real terms, my weekly mileage dropped afterwards.  I was gutted that I suffered so much running 3 Forts p(this I use not only to train but to guage my conditioning on the hills) and any positivity I felt pre-London increasingly turned to frustration.  I spent weeks trying to find a balance between recovery and having to rebuilding mileage before the impending taper. 

If I was you I'd leave myself in shape enough to continue your training in the days following Paris. 

• Options
    1owrez said:

I have two CAMRA recommendations; The Lord Moon of the Mall, and, The Harp, and from someone who has frequented the area and knows it like the back of their hand; The Chandos

A pint in The Chandos sounds exotic!
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I know all of those establishments!   Of the three, my pick would be the Harp.

JAR - like a few others on the forum I'm looking for the Bill Rowan.  Hopefully I'll be better prepared this year.  I'm making sure I don't skip the hill and interval sessions plus the strength work.  The latter I particularly dislike but I know it's needed. Bruce swears by it and if you listened to Camille Heron on Marathon Talk recently, she does too.  What do you have in mind?  You were in BR territory in 2016 is that on the cards this year?

Like MM, I like the idea of getting into B, and making up 3 minutes does not seem a big ask, but I'll be cautious based on the wise words of Marty, Bike It and JAR.  My motivation is not so much B but the multiples measure from the marathon (2.xx times something!) in getting an idea of target time and pacing.  The training is quite different between a marathon and Comrades and I'd need to do much more interval/tempo stuff to be in the best shape for a faster marathon.  I don't think I can afford the taper time and days of recovery by going out hard.  I might gain a minute to cross the start line but lose 5+ by missing a key training week.  I plan to stick to the schedule which will give me the best chance, I hope!

• Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    My tuppence worth on the Bill Rowan debate.
    of my 5 Comrades, first 2 were Bronze, next 3 Bill Rowan. Would agree with Bike it that the 8k time trial predicted nothing. All of my BRs were from Pen B, can’t see C making a huge difference.
    For me the difference was getting very comfortable at marathon distance,  3:15ish at relatively comfortable heart rate, and staying lucky with injuries.
    This year injuries have sucked so I’m back to bronze/ vic planning ?

Finally booked flights though so 2018 now feels real 

• Options
    Thanks for the pub tip Mac3, the Harp sounds good.   Yep,  I'll set out at BR pace (aim for 10km/hr incl. stops) but I'm really not in fighting shape so unless I have a massive turnaround in conditioning before June I know that there's a painful reckoning waiting for me and I'll be grinding it out for Bronze (hopefully).  Good luck this year, you sound like you're covering all the bases and not leaving anything to chance. 

Matt - how many years have you been out of Comrades?   Did you miss it in the break or did you have other challenges to resolve?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Marty, BikeIt, justanothr, Mac3 & Matt . I think I probably knew the answer already, but with a group of us going over to Paris there's been a lot of peer pressure for racing it. Only 1 other is doing Comrades, for the others it's their big race of the year. I'll sit back, let them race it out and enjoy the day and atmosphere. Re the TT, I've not done any intervals at all since last Feb/March so was pleased to go sub-7. I agree that 8K seems logically to be a pretty poor predictor for 90K, it was wishful thinking that it meant I'm going to cruise to a Bill Rowan!
    justanothr - your London experience is a cautionary tale, it's so easy to get carried away when training's going well. That feeling of invincibility creeps in, then bang! it blows up in your face. Hope this years preparation is on course.
    JAR, Mac3 - hopefully we can all scrape home in 8:50...something!
  • Options

Moonlight Challenge completed. Six laps, 37-38 miles (Garmin 38, officially 37.5). First two 6.25 mile laps in sunshine, then dusk falling, and I had to switch on the head torch for the last section of lap 3. Beautiful tiniest crescent moon sliver - no use for light, but lovely. And amazing views of the Milky Way in the sections furthest from the A299.  I rather enjoyed the night running - found it strangely relaxing. Temperature definitely dropped once the sun went down. Okay while running but cooling rapidly when I stopped. Used the uphill lopes to practice "purposeful walking".

Now only three weeks to the Viking 100. Gulp. Same course, but 16 laps.

• Options
    Wow well done Debra. Your running is clearly going well. I don't even want to think what running 100 miles is like :o

Local half marathon for me today. As just a training run, I ran it at long run pace.. Had told my OH I wanted to finish in about 2h20 and came in at 2h19 without ever looking at my watch so happy with that.
    Running a solo marathon next week before a delicious pub lunch with friends.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Excellent running Debra! Been thinking about an overnight run myself sometime later this year, will be interested in how you get on.  Hope everyone had a good weekend of training racing/banked!                          
  • Options
    Any opinions on the following welcome:
    I'm running Paris marathon on April 8th, so 2 months out from race day. I feel with a hard but not 'eyeballs out' effort I could go sub 3:20 and up my seeding from C to B. Is it wise/worth it bearing in mind it will impact a bit on my training runs for a couple of weeks afterwards?
    Secondly, on coach Parry's plan I did a 8km Time Trial last night and bagged 34:43 (BR Target 35:00 - 35:35), does this mean I'm looking good for a BR medal or absolutely nothing?? :smiley:
    Can't tell you how helpful it is having people who've been there and got the T-shirt to get advice from!
    TBH I don't think starting in B vs C makes much of a difference as once the barriers go down everyone crushs up anyway. My main aim in Comrades at the start is not to get sucked into going too fast as some people take off like is't a 5k or something! That being said it wouldn't bother me doing a marathon in April, doing an Ultra myself on April 22nd.

Hope it doesn't come back to bite me at Comrades now but I entered an extra marathon myself on May 26th as when I watched the video from last year it hooked me :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOOuzbVRd_4

Route profile is right up for Comrades prep as well, needless to say I'll be taking it very easy.

• Options
    lowrez, some extra events for me next time you update the list:
    Book Day Challenge (L) 3rd March
    RAF100 Challenge (L), 1st April
    Three Forts Marathon (M, trail) 6th May
    Cakeathon Spring Challenge (L) 28 May

I have some others I intend to do with SVN but I won't add them to the list until I've entered - which probably won't be until after the 100 (once I know how far that's broken me).

Re. start pens, I think there's a risk of getting caught up with faster runners and going out too fast if you "just" make it into the faster pen.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback jk. Enjoy your marathons. I watched coach Parry's webinar today, he mentioned not trying to improve seeding and jeopardising training. Not sure if admin allows links, but I'll try and put the webinar link in:
    https://www.facebook.com/comradescoach/videos/1170901559712491/
  • Options
    evening  all.........
    Looks like i will have to book on the saturday tour bus Lowrez as I have decided to spend the saturday night at pietermersburg as I struggle from travel sickness and cant take a tablet on the morning of the race as they make me tired......
    was lucky to get a place to stay leaving it this late....means i will miss parkrun but I did do durban last year. teh saturday after I'm doing a parkrun near Capetown as it starts with a Z and I need a Z for my parkrun alphabet  :)
  • Options
    Seren - interesting that you're staying in Pietermaritzburg. Had thought about it months ago  how are you dealing with the logistics of clothes etc?

Can our OH's come to Pietermaritzburg and get back to Durban after we've left
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

seren - so will you use the Saturday tour bus to get to PM and not come back on it? If you ask Brian I am sure he will reserve the front seats for you and Mr seren.

Snail - the 2016 detail letter said only runners on the buses up to PM, but for some reason I recall that being contradicted elsewhere? Or was it that some of us were driving up there privately and so lifts were potentially available and return journeys? Your OH will definitely need an international wrist band to get into the international area, you can purchase as many of these as you like (if you are a bigamist) at the expo, you must get them at the expo though, you get 2 anyway as part of your entry fee... remember to wear yours on the day, ie run with it all the way from PM, don't put it in your drop bag, as it will be in the international area and you can't get into the international area without an international wristband!

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly
    City Lodge: marty74, Slow Duck
    Hilton: lowrez
    Umhlanga: jkissane

Comrades 2018 Qualification
    24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB, Dannirr-Q4:54-PenH
    24Sep
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct
    Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    08Oct
    Chicago (M) Matt..-Q3:54-PenD
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7-Q3:49-PenD, Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:23pb-PenC
    21Oct
    Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
    Portsmouth (M) Peter R-Q4:01-PenF
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    25Feb
    Seville (M) Becca7
    01Mar
    Grim Four by Four (M) 1owrez
    03Mar
    Book Day Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    04Mar
    Vaal (M) Bike It
    10Mar
    Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne
    10Mar
    Thames Meander (M) justanothrrnr
    11Mar
    Barcelona (M) Slow Duck
    17Mar
    Eco Trail de Paris (U) Becca7
    18Mar
    Tralee (M) jkissane
    18Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    Betteshanger Challenge (L) marty74
    31Mar
    Born to Run (U) Becca7
    01Apr
    RAF100 Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    08Apr
    Rotterdam (M) Mac3
    15Apr
    Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    16Apr
    Boston USA (M) Matt..
    22Apr
    London (M) Becca7, Terry48, Mr Southern Snail, 1owrez, justanothrrnr
    22Apr
    Connemara (U) jkissane
    28Apr
    Spring Ranscombe (L) marty74
    02May
    Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour
    Friday 7:30 - Mc Hilly
    Friday 8:45 - Southern Snail
    Saturday 7:30 - 1owrez, seren nos

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Mac3
    Umhlanga: jkissane
    Thousand Hills: Slow Duck
    Zandvlei: seren nos
    Lie In Bed: Bike It

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Somebody wrote a blog
  • Options
    Enjoy Tokyo SD, and Becca enjoy Seville. Went there last year and had fab time. Lovely weather and city lovely with lots of great places to eat.
  • Options
    SD & Becca - hope today went well. Weather must have been better than here

Did my own solo marathon today. Hard work on your own. OH joined me for the last lap which helped. 4h55 nice lunch and wine after.

Lowrez- half way through your blog. Don't know what the day job is but perhaps you should take up writing ?
  • Options
    SS.. I have planned on using the clothes I travel up in on the saturday to then put on my bag drop at the start so that I will have them to put on post race.. I still Have my durban hotel booked so all my stuff will stay there....just take racekit and minimal stuff up on the saturday.

For the list we are staying at the Palace all suite this year......
    Just booked a few more bits and bobs tonight for the trip..
    and finished week 9 of my 24 week training schedule with all runs done.....Just need to tackle my excess weight  :0
  • Options
    Just read the blog Lowrez..... That whole trip sounds so exhausting...... Why dont you come to Newport marathon in April.Little travelling and a dead flat course...
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I had a nice run at Tokyo and just managed to scrape under 4 hours on my chip time (3:58:something) - a bit worried that it felt harder than it should.

I saw lots of friends who were both running and supporting, the weather was perfect for running - cool and overcast - and the new course finish at Tokyo Centrsl Station was much nicer, especially for the post race arrangements.
  • Options
    Good work SD,  well done!

Lowrez,  I can't access your blog at work sadly but I'll give it a read at home.

Running in this cold has been no fun at all.

• Options
    Bit fed up with the cold weather too.
    Just trying to work out which week I'm running least and OH too so we can sneak in a week away in the sun :)
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    An even closer sub 4 scrape for me in Seville with 3:59 but I was happy with that after only 5 weeks of uninterrupted training and not having been able to run 9:30 pace at the start of the month.

Well done SD.

Great reading that blog lowrez.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Great running Debra and SD and Becca!

Seren, Google maps tells me that attempting to get to Newport on the A5 will take longer than my Tasmania trip :)

Thanks for the kind comments on my Blog everyone :) - it is only this time around that I found a gyzmo called a "Note" on Facebook which allows that kind of formatting with the pictures in-line with the text where you want them to go. Maybe its been kicking around for years and I didn't notice. On other occasions I have put the text in as an ordinary post and then the pictures afterwards but that's always been a frustrating thing for me as you don't get the context of how I meant it to be.

JAR - I am the IT Manager here and if I blocked access to FB I would probably have to run for my life.

I think there is a lot of drama to come from me yet on this year's qualification window. My back has been and currently is giving me some gip, so much so that I did not do that 17 miler, or any miles since. I have the Grim 4x4 on Thursday and I have come down with a horrible head cold, currently on painkillers to get through the day as my sinuses are killing me, my teeth feel like they are stabbing my upper jaw bone every step I take. The forecast at the run is currently 100% chance of snow tomorrow and on the day with a max temperature of -2C. "Get on with it you wimp" I hear you all cry :) If it is not cancelled I am planning to turn up and run. Its just like Manchester last year with snow. I will just have to hope they don't drugs test me. At least the painkillers are addressing both my back and sinuses :)

• Options
    Becca: well done you! I know that's a lot slower than you usually run but nice to have at least D' pen in the bag at this point, given how much time you've lost.

Slow Duck: well done at Tokyo!

lowrez: sympathies for the back and the head cold. Hope they are both sorted quickly. Note that SVN have a certified road marathon on 14 April - and it's on a lapped course (Betteshanger) so you know exactly where you're up to and how much further to go. I know it's only a week before London, but might be worth considering?