Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options

Lots of great running going on as ever. Hope those feeling under the weather get better soon.

Great New Years day run Macca.

Very jealous of the scenery on John’s runs, if not the weather!

Great race and congrats on 2nd place SQ - very solid week. Big PB on the cards for you at Wokingham I think!

I had the Telford 10K yesterday. I was still feeling a bit tired and coldy on Saturday, so was pleased to wake up on Sunday feeling quite good. Arrived at Telford in plenty of time, the race is based at the Telford International Centre so lots of space to stay warm, decent toilets, overall a great race venue.

I headed off for my warm-up, just two miles to wake-up the legs and scope out the start of the course. Normally I’d plan a route on my watch to follow, but I hadn’t bothered this morning - I’m just heading out along the race route, what could go wrong?

Somehow while not paying attention I managed to get a bit lost. All the paths looked the same and I just couldn’t work out where the path I came down on was. I eventually got back on the right path but by now I’d run almost twice my planned warm-up and it was nearly time for the race. My heart rate was also at nearly 200bpm. 

I just had time to grab my race vest from the car before sprinting towards the start line as I could hear the countdown. I passed the start in last place and just carried on running. My HR was already at 10K effort and I was cursing my stupidity. 

Thankfully Telford splits the race with the first wave a faster race for sub-40 runners, so while I was having to pass a lot of people, it wasn’t as bad as if I’d been at the back of a normal race. Nonetheless it made it hard to settle as I kept having to surge past people when gaps were available. I went through mile 1 in 5:48 but I knew I had wasted way too much energy during the warm-up and start, and mentally felt stupid and pissed off and like I should give up, so after a bit of a word with myself I decided to try and make the best of a bad situation and run a hard tempo effort. Giving up was tempting, but I knew I’d really regret it afterwards. 

In the end I finished in 37:07, so 5:58/mi average, with pretty consistent splits (5:48/5:57/6:01/6:06/6:01/6:00, and 5:40/mi for the last 0.2). Overall conditions were quite good, other than some slightly slippy frost and mud patches. The wind never felt too bad which was a worry beforehand. It was definitely a hard tempo effort, but it wasn’t all-out - I didn’t have to dig deep to maintain pace in the second half like I would during a proper  10K race effort. The legs felt very strong the whole way around, so I suppose I’m relatively happy with what I could salvage from a bad situation.

So yeah, not the race I was hoping for, bit of a farce, but at least it wasn’t an “a” race. I’d like to think in better circumstances I could have been around 36 minutes. I’ll definitely be back for the next one, it’s a nice fast course, well organised and such an amazing field - over 100 went sub-35! 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Looks like most of us that were able to get out running have been affected by the wind. Hope all those ill and injured are recovering well.
    My apologies to Spoons for having a giggle about nearly missing the start. Still a decent race performance.
    SQ, impressive podium performance.

Ive finally got back into the swing of things with my first decent weeks running since early November. No major sessions but managed 75 miles with back 2 back long runs at the weekend. Saturdays included parkrun where I snuck under 20 mins again with a 6:05 final mile. My fastest post-injury. I've got the Stubbington Green 10k on Sunday which will be my first race back, could end up being a LT session rather than flat out but will decide nearer the time.
  • Options
    Laugh away Millsy! It was a very silly mistake, and I can definitely see the funny side... now... ;)
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Well done on the podium spot SQ-impressive performance. You are looking in great shape at the moment. Expecting big things from you at Wokingham!

Decent time in the circumstances Spoons. Sounds like a good, well stacked race. I might look into entering the next one.

Great week Millsy-looks like you are making very good progress. I would wait to see about conditions etc. on Sunday before deciding to use it as an LT rather than flat out.

Back to work today but had an inset so not a crazy early start for my 7 mile jog. Back to normal tomorrow. Alarm is set for 4:30!
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Great report Spoons and a great time considering the stress beforehand.

Thanks for the link Jooligan. I’ll check it out when I’m feeling a bit more like an athlete!

Nice GA Hazel. The foot seems ok today touch wood.

The fatigue however is very real. 13 miles after work was slow, sluggish, cold, dark, windy etc. I’m gonna do my best to forget it!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

You really are putting in the hard miles Ramjet. The rewards will come at the end!

So back to the very early starts. Out the door at 4:35 this morning for 11 steady miles (6:24s). It was cold, damp and very dark but not too windy. Actually really enjoyed it-We'll see how long that lasts!
  • Options
    Hmmm , Im feeling so slow on this thread.
    I might start a new thread for Tortoises for P&D marathons.
    Everywhere round by me is so wet, Its hard to find anywhere off road to run now.
    Bit of late run today then Tom!! Cold damp and dark - sounds nice!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello. Might attempt a short run today, probably a silly idea...but feckit. Am expecting to produce a lot of mucus along the way.
  • Options
    I am happy to keep you company at the slow end of this thread FBT - I'm aiming for 3:30 which compared to most here is pretty slow.  I also sometimes ask myself "what am I doing here" on this thread and probably others do so also but I am enjoying reading everyone's runs and races and its helping me to stay motivated.  I don't see why P&D as such should be restricted to the faster end of the scale - if you can cope with the plan without getting injured and can profit from it timewise - why not?  It is however my first go on this thread and on P&D.   I try not to compare myself too much with others but to look at my own progress. 

Bad luck on the start issues at Telford spoons but well done for making the most of it.  Will add choose warm up route carefully to my pre-race preparations check list.  So far I've always got to the start line in good order.

Nice to hear things are picking up for you Millsy.

Getting back to those early starts must be a shock to the system Tom.

The run might help to clear it out westy.

Just some core work for me yesterday, 10 miler planned for this evening.
  • Options
    Well Done Hazel, back in the good old days there was a mixture of marathon times on the P&D threads but gradually forumites have got faster. But as you say it works for all abilities that can cover the distances, at their relevant paces.
    3:30 would be pretty quick by normal standards.

Go for it Westy....clear that snot out
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hazel - this thread is for all using P&D plans no matter what their goals, not just for speedsters....(and 3:30 isn't slow anyway!).
  • Options
    Hazel, this is basically a place for anyone with any interest in the plan, past or present. The book title clearly suggests it's for experienced runners, some of which are fast but as Westy says, 3:30 is a good time, in fact my PB when I first posted here was 3:32.

Plenty of others have knocked big chunks of their PBs over the last few years.

Not had a proper read back but I am still not running. THe ankle is improving steadily and I am hopeful of being days away rather than weeks. I did fall off my bike yesterday though, added some more grazes and bumps to my collection!

• Options
    Hope the Ankle gets better soon.
    I turned my ankle big stlyle years ago and its been weak ever since really.
    seems like with running and biking you have accidents - Hope you dont drive?
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hazel: my slowest marathon was 3:55 and my most recent was 3:20 so very similar to you. P&D is focued on higher mileage runners but we are certainly in that group compared to the overall population of marathon runners - its just that within this very select thread there are some absolute speedsters that make the rest of us look and feel slow compared to them (and some of them have been running higher mileage a lot longer than us as well) :)

"I try not to compare myself too much with others but to look at my own progress." - I think you nailed it there in that line

Reg: you are making a habit of hurting yourself at the minute! Rest up and hopefully it is just days rather than weeks

• Options
    Reg - Take it easy - no more accidents!!
    Spoons - Great result in the conditions.
    Millsy - Great weeks mileage.
    Ramjet - Looks like a good run. Might you have the start of a virus?

Early morning start for me as well (4:50) to get 13 miles done. LT session tomorrow as it's going to be a bit warmer.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just attempted a run. Only managed about 3mi, too much coughing up crap involved. Obviously not well enough yet.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the reports SQ and RSR, well done (maybe not the last minute bit RSR but you know what I mean.)

Hazel, I can only repeat what everyone else has said.  On a previous thread we did a show us your progress type  thing, it was quite surprising and inspiring what people have achieved.  

Hope nothing serious Reg.  I miss my bike commute, only 3m each way, but probably added up to 2hrs free training per week.
  • Options
    Macca, your achievements are quite impressive if i remember right.

Mine are going the wrong way.....
  • Options
    Thanks FBT - although my recent form is going south, I think I have identified the cause....

I’m the only one in the house who eats it , just over a kilo to go.
  • Options
    You've gotta fuel those runs macca....
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Haha Macca. I've just got rid of the last of the Christmas chocolate at home so it's time to eat a bit better and drop a few kg. 

Hazel - Agree with the other comments. We're all just keen runners trying to improve and fit training in around the rest of our lives, no world beaters, so we're all in the same category really.

Spoon - I did laugh too. Sorry. Must've been infuriating. I can imagine a few choice words were used. Great run considering.

Reg - You're one unlucky bugger. Hope it all improves quickly. I suppose TVXC on Sunday is out? I think I'll be able to make it this time.

Millsy - Great week of training. Really back into it.

Tom - A dark, cold, damp run at 4:30 is enjoyable? Madness.

Still a bit of a sore throat this morning but cleared in the morning and feel pretty good now, so got out for 12 miles with some strides. Might try something faster tomorrow if I feel good.
  • Options
    I'm here with you Hazel, FBT and anyone else. I'm a high mileage, not as fast, runner. I've used P&D to reduce my marathon time from 4:15 to 3:44. 

Tom, if your alarm was for 4:30, and you were out by 4:35.. do you sleep in your kit? No morning bathroom visits? Are you human? 

Well done on the podium SQ, did you ever find out where the two before you went wrong? 

Sorry about your warm-up woes Spoons. 

Reg! Stop hurting yourself. 

Get better soon all the ill people.  

I ran a mile on Sunday. My knee hurt, during and then after. I'm going to need that Dr I think. I've cancelled my 10k next weekend and Wokingham is looking like it'll be out too. Time to find my local pool.. 

• Options
    JCG, Of course Tom is not human...... He is Super Tom!
    Quite frankly if you are getting up at 4:30 for a run you are Nocturnal in my book (Or a Vampire).

Do you have ITB JCG?
  • Options
    That's not good JCG, Westy or Reg.
    I know what you mean FBT. I ran in to work today & 8:30s for 7M felt like hard work, although the HR said otherwise. Legs probably still recovering from the w/e. Off home now so we'll see if they're any better.
    Love Christmas cake/pudding/Stollen etc & stocked up with the reduced stuff post Christmas so not going to be shedding any pounds fast. Fortunately I managed to shift a couple over the festive period with my 100M week - unfortunately that's not sustainable with work too.
  • Options
    Jools, you are going to have to up the distance as 100 metres just aint going to cut it.
    It might work for Bolt, but not for marathons, even i am up to 35 miles a week...Sorry.
  • Options
    Hope you have a nice run home Jooligan!

FBT - I don't think it is ITB. I've had that before, admittedly in the same knee, and it felt very different. This is more of an unstable knee, like there's nothing keeping it together, so if I push at it my leg might fall off. It feels better than when it initially went, and more stable, but the pain on Sunday wasn't the kind you should run through. Not to be dramatic or anything.. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm planning on doubling it each week FBT :p
    Should be doing plenty of mileage by London.  :D
    Bit better thanks JCG still only 8:18 pace though. Have you had a proper diagnosis/physio for the knee? Can you do any strengthening work?
  • Options
    Oh dear JCG, I hope your knee doesn't fall off.

Macca, I ate a whole cake to myself before Christmas and then another one in three days, after Christmas. I put on about 2-3 Kgs.

HA - I won't be fit for TVXC, that will be three weeks of no running and I'm not sure an off-road race would be a wise re-introduction  :D

Good news is, i've not hurt myself since yesterday.
  • Options

Bad luck, spoons, that sounds exactly like a pre marathon nightmare! As you say, at least it wasn’t an A race. Well done for pushing on so hard. Are you still doing the Linda Franks 5M? That’ll be a great chance for the sub 30. 

Hope lurgy crew are starting to improve. 

Nice work Macca and HA - I have to eat all the chocolate in the house (including that which is not even mine). Then once it’s gone life can carry on. What is wrong with me?!

JCG - the lost three still hadn’t turned up when I left an hour or so after finishing. The organiser is a good communicator on Facebook and most definitely would have posted something had there been a serious problem. Just getting more miles for their money, I guess. 

Hazel - I like how P&D is based upon achievable mileage rather time goals. For me this highlights a critical thing - more hours of the hobby we enjoy so much. 

Ramjet I feel your fatigue - the legs are still feeling pretty buggered after Sunday’s exertions. 6M recovery on grass yesterday, then 10M easy on the canal this morning. Started at 8:30mm, finished at 7:10mm, averaging 7:30s.  

It has certainly been a shock getting back into early get ups. I try to relatively ease myself in - respect to Tom for the full cold turkey approach!

Currently psyching myself up for the mixed pace tempo session tomorrow. Looking forward to this new challenge. 

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Mmmm tasty Macca! I can’t resist Christmas cake. Fortunately it is all eaten now and I’ve only gained about 1.5 Kg!

Steve - I’m pretty sure it is just fatigue - a hard 20 miler will do that to you.

Sorry to hear about the knee JCG. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Amazing early run as ever Tom.

SQ - your run sounds decent to me - at least you got faster!

Slightly improved 6 mile run into work this morning. The legs were still a bit lifeless but almost managed GA pace!