Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Will have another attempt at a run today. I should probably wait till all symptoms below neck have cleared up, but might be waiting for weeks as often these chesty coughs can linger.
    I had a relatively healthy Christmas, maybe a bit too much booze. With this cold I haven't had a drink for a week which is the longest I have abstained from alcohol in a long time.

• Options
    Westy - if you've gotten ill after a healthy Christmas that seems most unfair. Stick to the over indulgence in the future. 

Enjoyable tempo this morning. Just under 3M warm up. Bloody dark and forgot torch, so had to use phone like a muppet. Then 44 minute change of pace tempo: 4 mins fast, 4 steady then 6 x (2 fast, 4 steady). It felt good at the time and is no doubt great for coping with surges in races and lactate clearance. I am a little surprised to only average 6:27 for the 44 minutes, but I deliberately wasn't looking at paces during the session. No doubt I was still fatuged from Sunday as well. Still total of 13.1M at 6:57 is a pretty good workout. Back to the track next week for another vO2 session.

Saw spoons working hard. Funny that we have done pretty much the same run at the same pace two days running, albeit half an hour apart or so. Hope to catch up for a recovery chat on Monday if you are free. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Still a bit to go on that Cake Macca!
    We have a thing in the house called the February Drawer. All the leftover Christmas chocolate, biscuits etc gets packed up in a bag and put away on Jan 1st. Can then get it back out in Feb if the Christmas weight has gone.
    attempted a MP run last night. Did it on effort rather than pace and the 7 miles averaged 7.05 per mile. Not quite where I wanted but not too far off the mark and calf felt strong. Don't feel like I've lost any endurance with my injury lay off it's just the top end is a bit lacking. Hope I can get it back for Wokingham.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  

yumm christmas cake macca!  My mum has sent me some of her homemade - might eat some after my mlr tomorrow, the scent of brandy wafting out of the box is very tempting.  I think she drowned it in it.  

Take care of yourself reg.   

Good to hear you are feeling better HA.

Maybe a hot toddy with lashings of whiskey would shift the lurgy westy.  Give those virus monsters a shock after a lack of alcohol.

JCG have that knee looked at if it feels instable.  Did you twist it or otherwise force it beyond its normal range (overstraightening, overbending) in some way that a ligament or cartilage could be damaged?  A good doc (physio?) can find out a lot by doing manual tests for that.  I'm no expert but I do have some experience with knee injuries myself unfortunately (no current issues though).

Nice running on fatigued legs SQ, ramjet and jools.

10 miles for me yesterday evening.  4 on my own - flat then 6 with a guy from my Tuesday group including the usual hill - kept the effort on that bit low-key for me at least as he hasn't been out training much over the XMas period and was so busy talking he couldn't puff any faster anyway.

Out for a recovery 4 miles a bit later.  
  • Options
    LT session for me this morning. 10 miles with 22 mins and 18 mins at LT pace. Averaged 6:33 (22 mins) and 6:44 (18 mins). Need to hold the pace better on the second section of these runs as it always drops off a bit too much!!
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
     Very nice session SQ, you’re putting in some long pace sessions that are going to pay dividends soon. 

Good MP run millsy, solid block to get in midweek!

Still a great pace Steve, 40 mins at LT is a tough session even split up. 

Great consistency Hazel. The thing I like about this thread is seeing everyone else’s P&D runs is a great motivator to get your own done, whatever your pace. 

Hoping for a speedy return to running to all the sick/injured/fatties. 

Still not officially following P&D but did do 5M@LT yesterday. Felt tough at the start and was slower than MP but progressively sped up to finish around HMP. Overall pace of 6:39. Was made more interesting/challenging by a sudden thunderstorm and deluge in the middle which soaked my trainers, must be worth a couple of seconds! 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Managed 6mi and only had to stop for a coughing fit a couple of times. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    That's a bugger Westy.

Nice one John. I miss those big thunderstorms, not while running though.

Some nice tempo sessions by SQ, Spoon, Millsy and Steve. SQ - What's the goal for Wokingham again? I imagine you're pretty tired right now but post taper, I think you'll be flying.

10ish miles with a Mona Fartlek for me today. 100-150m less than my best over the 20 minutes, so nothing special but not too bad considering my lack of any speed work in that past few months. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a bugger...but it's a big improvement on yesterday's run...so I'll take it. I guess I will just have to slowly and surely start building up the miles again now, and leave the faster running till this chest issue is all resolved. Well done on the mona fartlek whatever that is.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Here you go Westy. A new one to try. 

http://www.thelongrun.com.au/session-1-mona-fartlek/

Plenty of time yet to get those faster sessions in.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Four Villages Half 21st Jan

• Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 1:23

Wokingham Half 18th February 2018

• Sorequads - P&L 12 week 60-80 - target sub 80
    • Phil - 50-70 mpw - Sub 72
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- loosely following P&L 12 week- Sub 75
    • Macca 11 weeks of P&D - 1:23
    • Jooligan - FJ 70mpw PR & race every w/e A 1:25, B 1:26, C 1:27
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 incl club intervals & hills - 1:44

Bath Half Marathon 4th March 2018

• 1SteveMac - P&L 12 week - Mix of 2 plans (peaking at 50 ish miles) - Target Sub 84 mins.
    • Tom-50-70 mpw-loosely following P&L 12 week-Target-PB-73:07

Reading Half Marathon 18th March 2018

• AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 1:29

Manchester Marathon 8th April 2018

• RunSpoonRun - TBA but plenty of miles - 2:45
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- Sub 2:45 (If I decide to do it!)

Paris Marathon 8th April

Macca P&D 55-70 2:57

London Marathon 22nd April 2018

• Reg Wand - P&D 55-70 variant - Target 2:39
    • Joe Blogs - Sub 2:30
    • HA77 - sub 2:30
    • Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 2:55
    • JohnOz - P&D 70-85 variant - 2:55
    • Jooligan - 70mpw & Race hard all year & hope for the best - A 2:59, B 3:05, C 3:14
    • Phil - 50-70mpw no plan - sub 2h30
    • Sorequads - freestyle 6 week plan - sub 2:50
    • AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 3:10
    • 15West - P&D 55-70 - sub 2:50....subject to change.
    • Andy85 – P&D up to 55 variant – target 3:30
    • dct – sub 2:45
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 incl club intervals & hills – 3:40
    Macca TBA

Zurich Marathon 22nd April 2018
    • HazelnutCH - P&D up to 55 - target 3:30

Newport Marathon 29th April 2018

• Northender - P&D up to 55ish. - Target 3:20 (please) 

• Options

Don’t worry about your speed Hazelnut, as others have said 3:30 isn’t slow! Two years ago 3:33 was my marathon PB. There are people on here that make me feel slow, but that’s what I like about this thread - there is quite a wide variety of people and no matter what our times we’re all very supportive of each other.

Glad to hear the ankle is progressing Reg. Sorry to hear the knee is still troubling you JCG. Get well soon Westy, always frustrating when something like that won’t quite shift.

Excellent fueling Macca

SQ remember that canal route is uphill in the first half - those locks add up… ;) Great session this morning on tired legs, I wish I had seen you running with your phone light though  :D

Lots of impressive early starts and great running. I need to improve my morning routine, I get distracted by Twitter and Instagram and take far longer to get out the door than I need to!

I had another tough threshold run today - 20, 15, 10, 5 mins @ LT. It was very foggy, and I could barely see in front of me with the headlamp on, so was a bit worried I'd go flying straight in to a walker or dog until it got light. Can’t wait for the mornings to be lighter again, I don’t like running fast in the dark.

Averaged 6:11/mi, 6:16/mi, 6:13/mi and 6:23/mi for the four efforts. Slightly disappointed by that last 5 minute rep, as I certainly felt like I was giving it full beans. Regardless, happy enough overall with the session - 8 miles of hard running and a total of 13 miles averaging under 7 min/mi. That'll do at this stage.

• Options
    Love the drawer idea, Millsy. Seriously impressed by your will power though. Or do you trust your wife with the key?

Great LT SteveMac. That's a lot of time in the red zone!

John, don't think I could bring myself to do 5@LT unless a book told me to! Good work. Surely the storm was a relief given the recent hot weather?

HA - I'd love to go sub 80 minutes. It is a stretch goal, and I'll need the weather to be relatively kind. But with a big fast crowd I am going to give it all I've got. I'm impressed with the Mona distance given your recent illness. Good work. 

A great workout, spoons. Certainly agreed regarding fast running in the dark.

A short session in the gym whilst supervising older kids. Got reminded what a weakling I am - by the girls and boys. 

• Options
    Still lurking, most of you seem to be going very well barring the odd bug. Sorry the knee is still giving you grief JCG. Congratulations on the Naunton 2nd place SQ.

I'll add my key races in. I intend to do some lower key efforts over the next two months.

Brass Monkey Half 14th Jan

• Muddy - December was a bit rubbish ~40 mpw  - sub 1.18

Four Villages Half 21st Jan

• Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 1:23

Wokingham Half 18th February 2018

• Sorequads - P&L 12 week 60-80 - target sub 80
    • Phil - 50-70 mpw - Sub 72
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- loosely following P&L 12 week- Sub 75
    • Macca 11 weeks of P&D - 1:23
    • Jooligan - FJ 70mpw PR & race every w/e A 1:25, B 1:26, C 1:27
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 incl club intervals & hills - 1:44

Bath Half Marathon 4th March 2018

• 1SteveMac - P&L 12 week - Mix of 2 plans (peaking at 50 ish miles) - Target Sub 84 mins.
    • Tom-50-70 mpw-loosely following P&L 12 week-Target-PB-73:07

• Muddy - Weekly mp, occasional threshold + races  ~50 mpw  - sub 1.17

Reading Half Marathon 18th March 2018

• AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 1:29

Wilmslow Half Marathon 18th March 2018

• Muddy -Weekly mp, occasional threshold + races ~50 mpw  - sub 1.17

Manchester Marathon 8th April 2018

• RunSpoonRun - TBA but plenty of miles - 2:45
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- Sub 2:45 (If I decide to do it!)

Paris Marathon 8th April

Macca P&D 55-70 2:57

London Marathon 22nd April 2018

• Reg Wand - P&D 55-70 variant - Target 2:39
    • Joe Blogs - Sub 2:30
    • HA77 - sub 2:30
    • Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 2:55
    • JohnOz - P&D 70-85 variant - 2:55
    • Jooligan - 70mpw & Race hard all year & hope for the best - A 2:59, B 3:05, C 3:14
    • Phil - 50-70mpw no plan - sub 2h30
    • Sorequads - freestyle 6 week plan - sub 2:50
    • AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 3:10
    • 15West - P&D 55-70 - sub 2:50....subject to change.
    • Andy85 – P&D up to 55 variant – target 3:30
    • dct – sub 2:45
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 incl club intervals & hills – 3:40
    Macca TBA

Zurich Marathon 22nd April 2018
    • HazelnutCH - P&D up to 55 - target 3:30

Newport Marathon 29th April 2018

• Northender - P&D up to 55ish. - Target 3:20 (please)

• Options
    Jools, if you double 100 meters from now for 16 weeks then by week 16 you will be doing 4096 miles a week!!! I think you might have to start tapering after week 11......

JCG - nasty old business that knee by the sounds of it, sounds a bit serious.

Millsy, wouldnt like to be in your house... do you have a May drawer as well for stuff left after easter, or do you change the name of the drawer?

Westy - cough it all up - get it out the system

HA - whats a Mona Fartlek? not sure i like the sound of it whatever it is....
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello Muddy.
    Having a beer, seeing if it helps.
    FBT - do keep up...http://www.thelongrun.com.au/session-1-mona-fartlek/
  • Options
    FBT: Are you saying I'll not be able to run 24/7 @ 24.3mph by then? I'm shocked at your lack of support.  :p 
    Mona(ghetti) Fartlek is a bucketload of Aussie fun introduced to us by HA
    Would appear the break has done you no harm at all HA - must be all those 'work' runs you fitted in the preceding weeks.
    6 is better than 0 Westy. Speed can wait a week or 2 I'm sure as you only appear to be racing/targeting London.
    Looking good Muddy - that was a quality 10K in Spain you fitted into the festive period. A helluva lot of seriously fast times.
    More quality sessions from Spoons & SQ. Tough LT session that Steve.
    Millsy: top end speed is the first thing to atrophy but the quickest to regain so I'm sure you'll be fine. That parkrun final mile is proof of that if you need it.
    Gym session for me this morning strengthening the core/glutes then a steady 15M after work at 9s. Definitely felt easier than Sunday's LR. Guess the parkrun/mountain race combo on Saturday together with the Friday moshpit action til 2am would account for that.
  • Options
    Just coming up for air.  Still not back at the office, I'm on zero miles for the year and expect to remain so until at least Sunday.

On the plus side, I've lost all the weight I put on over Christmas - probably a bit more!  And my dibilitating cough is giving me a fantastic core work out.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Sounds nasty NE - get well soon.

That Mona Fartlek looks fun. I may do it instead of one of the LT sessions. Presumably the fast sections are as fast as you can do them?

No marathon Muddy? I also plan to do the WHM, but as a MP run. I’ll probably run it too hard but anything is better than that 18 with 14 @ MP session.

Lots of great tempo runs today. Hopefully one day a third edition of P&D will come out with more doable tempo sessions.

Just another 6 miles easy for me this morning with lots of screaming at traffic. Managed a sub 8 min mile though!

• Options
    Tempo Wednesday - well done folks, Steve, John, RSR & SQ.  

Like the idea Millsy (good comeback pace btw) but I’ve no will power so if it’s in the house, I have to eat it.  Living with a squirrel who buys things to eat 6 months later, this often gets me into trouble.

NE - the phlegm diet ? GWS.

Ha - well done on digging out the list and the MF.

Decent midweek MLR Jools.

Good luck with the Brass Monkey Muddy.

Nice 6s Ram & Westy - I did 8?

Unremarkable 8m for me but for a lungs out hill effort fishing for a segment placing.  A bit disappointed to find it was my 2nd best effort on that hill but pleased to find the run from 4yrs ago that leads Strava to predict a 12min 5k - forgot to turn off the watch after training one night before jumping in the car.

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Take it easy westy, don’t want to make it worse and delay getting back to 100%. 

Same for NE, must be very frustrating. Heard about the aussie flu hitting the UK. If it’s anything like what I had it’s 5 miserable days of shivering fever and aching body but only missed out on a week of running. Sounds like a few of you have worse than that though. 

Ramjet - the mona fartlek is deceptive and the last half is far from fun! The key is to do the recoveries relatively fast (between HMP and MP) so realistically the fast bits are done at more like 5k speed. Your average pace should come out around 10k-HMP pace although I’ve always been at the slow end. It’s tough but a good one to do regularly. 

14M MLR this morning at 8:13 pace. Thought it would be quicker but I wore some old Boston Boosts by mistake as it was too dark and now calves are sore. They’re now in the recycle cupboard. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    NE - Hope it clears soon. Still enough time yet. Last year I trained very little from mid Dec to start of Feb with achilles problems and a nasty flu but by April felt as fit as ever.

Ramjet - Mona Fartlek is short, only 20 min so maybe not equivalent to the longer LT runs. I think of it as a more marathon specific VO2 session. Like John says it's the fastish recoveries that make it hard. I think yesterday I was running the ons as fast as usual but the offs were slower than I've done in the past.

Macca - Did you get a few Strava CRs in the car? I've completely given up on worrying about segments unless it fits in with the session I'm doing, although I do flag activities when someone gets one of my CRs on a bike. I really shouldn't care.

John - hope the calves recovery ok. On a shoe note I've just gone past 400 miles in my £13 Kalenjis. Marginally too narrow for me but I quite like them. Picked up a second pair on special for £10. 

Got out for a second run last night. 12 miles. Plan was to start out slow and build the pace if it felt ok. Ended up building to about MP and really enjoyed it, despite it being cold, damp and dark. Not a monster double session day but a solid one anyway. Just something easy today.
  • Options
    Thanks for info on the Mona fartlek malarky Westy.
    Not sure "fun" is quite the description Rammers, but each to their own. Might give it a go today if Im feeling in a self flagellating mood.
  • Options
    Definite progress from Westy, and a cracking run return from HA

Good luck at the Brass Monkey, Muddy. I've heard good things about that race.

Alarm at 5, running by 5:11. And that was skipping the glute warm up (naughty, naughty). Tom, how on earth have you got it down to five minutes? Impressive! 13.7M at just under 7:30s. Didn't quite have time for the last 0.3. The MLRs the day after hard tempo sessions seem to be working out quite well, despite early fears about this. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I get up at 7 and it takes me at least 30mins before I can face the day.
    Still coughing. Will try another 6mi today. Supposed to be running 20mi at some point, might have to leave that till next week.
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Westy is that 20 minutes or 20 miles?
  • Options
    Westy & NE - Get well soon!

I'm with SQ and Spoons - running fast in the dark isn't good! I've been doing my LT sessions on a loop, so no roads to cross, but much better to do them during daylight hours.

7 miles with strides today, that brings up 30 miles for the week so far!
  • Options
    HA77 said:

Macca - Did you get a few Strava CRs in the car? I've completely given up on worrying about segments unless it fits in with the session I'm doing, although I do flag activities when someone gets one of my CRs on a bike. I really shouldn't care.
    The drive was through town (traffic lights) so didn’t get any CRs.  In any case, the CR was 34s for 1/5 mile up a 6% hill ( i did 43s) lights must have been green for him.  I’m not anywhere near any CRs so only really look at my previous efforts, especially on tempo runs.  
  • Options
    I always flag segments, even if I don't have the CR. I'll probably be accused of being sexist but it's normally women recording bike rides as runs.
  • Options
    Jooligan - I felt the 10k didn't go that well. It turned out to be a bit long though, so maybe it wasn't too bad.  Name drop alert ... I was outsprinted in the last 400m by Hannah England, who gained about 4 or 5 seconds on me over that distance. Admittedly I wasn't trying that hard by that point as I was way off even a seasons best. 36.09 brought me 298th position ! I felt off throughout though, as I did during last weeks cross country. I'll have to pin it on fatigue or viral load (runny nose and I did an intensity overload in the ten days leading up to the new year). 

Ramjet - No mara until the autumn (will be Hull, a mate from schooldays there has twisted my arm) - thought I'd take advantage of the longer hours through the summer; I have no problems getting up and out when there is daylight. I did that 20/14mp session at a half last year, then did Wilmslow all out two weeks later. I got lost on my cooldown and it ended up as 21 w/13.1 hmp. Which looking back was a bit of a killer. Hopefully will be able to say hello at Wilmslow.

Thanks for the good lucks. I dare say I will need it, as I'm not feeling that bouncy at the moment.