Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

No work for 2 days so a 4 day weekend-Get in!! Snowing heavily here now and very windy-probably -14 or something like. Not pleasant but building snowmen well and truly on the agenda!

Luckily got out before it started snowing for an easy 9 miles. Looks like I will have a day or two off tomorrow/Saturday as I have no intention of running on a treadmill. Might go for a jog around the fields tomorrow, we'll see.

I can't believe the organisers of Bath half have stated the race will go ahead on Sunday-what contingency plans do they have I wonder?. I expect they will be changing that decision and cancelling-probably by tomorrow- based on the current conditions and forecast.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Supposed to warm up in the south from Sunday onwards...
  • Options
    Bath remain adamant it's going ahead currently: http://bathhalf.co.uk/2018/02/cold-weather-alert/
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on how much and what type of snow (could be freezing rain) falls there this afternoon and evening, and how much it thaws before sunday. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I reckon they will cancel tomorrow as there is a lot more snow to come this evening and through the night. Little chance of it thawing before Sunday.
  • Options
    Lovely long run Joe - saw the pics on Strava.

Ouch to the tooth Macca.  

Sorry to hear about the knee Scott and I hope the physio can sort you out.

Good point on staying safe NE.

I hardly ever go out with a buff SQ.  There was a thread on here once about how many different things you can do with one.  To avoid the soggy problem I just pull it over my face for a couple of minutes at a time.

Hope you know for sure about Bath soon Steve.

A 5 mile "recovery" run for me over lunch once it had stopped snowing (about 5-6 inches in total).  Some of it on cleared minor roads or tracks along which a vehicle had driven compacting the snow.  That was more or less runnable at no particular extra effort.  In the powder snow I think I did some of my slowest running for many years (excluding hills) - in total the 5 miles took 56 minutes!  The powdery stuff didn't compact down under my shoes to give me grip but just slid away leaving me wallowing around.  It was fun nonetheless.

Not sure about the planned LT run for tomorrow as we are due rain at some point which will probably very quickly turn to ice.  If I do go out I will probably do a Phil and rush up and down the same mile of minor road which is clear of snow.  Will have to wait and see.     
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Forecast doesn't look good does it Tom!! It's not just them clearing roads, it's what the roads are like for people to get to the event!!

If I don't do it, may enter a local 10k for next weekend instead, at least then I get to race!!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Trafford 10k has been cancelled.
  • Options
    My local half (Welwyn) has been cancelled/postponed.  Probably saves me from myself and the right decision looking at the forecast.

SQ - I watched a short film on the Leadville 100 (billy yang films) on YouTube the other night and enjoyed it.

NE - pf is piriformis muscle, a pain in the backside, literally.

A 15m plod for me today which was lovely apart from the stretches into the wind. I pulled my buff up over my face but kept sucking it in with every breathe.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Managed 10 miles today in the blizzard - buff frozen to my beard and icicles coming off it. Was going to do 12mi but couldn't face anymore. Running in snow is hard work too!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Love Billy Yang's ultra films too Macca.
    Double 8 milers again today but pace was about a m/M slower than usual. I had a backpack of paperwork which was pretty heavy & I was into a vicious headwind for the first 3.5M but I suspect the TM had shredded my legs again. Still nothing in them when it came time for the return leg. Again 3M into a blizzard to kick off. Can't see me getting to work tomorrow, the 12M in the car took longer than Tom's HM!
    Bath website now says they will review tomorrow & post decision by 3pm
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Dont know what they are waiting for-It has no chance of being on.
  • Options
    Surely no chance for Bath. Newport HM is off.   Day off for me too.  Probably tomorrow as well but I really want to find a way to get a few miles in Friday or Saturday so that I've a chance of a 40+ week again with a long Sunday run.

Can't believe what Jooligan did.
    PF...   of course Macca.  Never had it myself but should have recognised it (couldn't get plantar fasciitis out of my)

Keep at it.. or improvise.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone who got out in the snow today - especially Jooligan for running in a blizzard.

Had my 15 mile MLR today and really didn't want to do it on a treadmill so decided to brave the weather. The first two miles were uphill into the wind and at times I was almost forced to a standstill. Once on the trail it was OK, the snow was quite runnable apart from the odd snow drift and the wind was a crosswind. 15 miles averaging 7:55 will do in these conditions.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Despite the sub zero temperatures a lot of snow and ice has gone from round here, I think probably due to the dry air and strong winds. So, Trafford 10k organisers may regret cancelling the race, as no more snow is forecast up here, and weather for sunday looks ok (not very nice, but not stupidly cold and windy). So, I don't blame Bath to see what conditions are like today, as things can change/improve quickly.
    Supposed to have a 16mi run today, really don't fancy it in the icy cold wind, but I may feel more up to it in a few hours,
    Daughter went to her running club last night, just her and a few other hardy (stupid) souls.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Wow quite crazy to hear it’s getting as low a second -17C,well done to those who still got out. Just as impressive are those doing long runs on the dreadmill! Like the postcard perfect photos of fresh snow, it’s something I miss about oz. Anyone still able to get to a race this weekend, take care, not worth an injury at this stage. 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Macca I watched that exact Billy Yang film yesterday - I guess that’s what comes up when you search running on YouTube! High quality, enjoyable, but didn’t require any brain power so ideal for treadmill running. Will try some of his others if there is more treadmilling next week (only have access at school). 

Impressive work for:your daughter, Westy. She is a tough ‘un. 

I tried Hazel’s intermittent buff method today - thank you, it worked well. Mind you, when running east (into the beast) I could only keep one eye open at a time. Very painful. This somewhat reduced depth perception and so I went face first into snow drifts on a couple of occasions. 5M at 9:05s for a planned recovery, but probably a harder effort than that. Would like to do a LR tomorrow morning, having previously planned some quality there. Suspect it will be a time on feet job instead. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Current state of Bath Half start :D 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Not sure whether to run or not, really stupidly windy.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Binned it. Not running in that. 
  • Options

Looks like Bath might be off then Westy! Very annoying as I don’t really fancy 13.1 miles at MP on my own, let alone on a treadmill :(

Well done getting out there Hazel, Macca, AWC, Jooligan, Ramjet, and SQ.

Another 15 miles on the treadmill for me this morning, very sweaty work! Managed to get Zwift working, which adds a bit of interest although it’s not as fun as when on the bike, as it can’t control the incline of the treadmill or anything. Despite calibrating Zwift to the treadmill beforehand, it measured my 14.2 kph for the first 7.5 miles as around 7:10/mi pace instead of 6:48/mi pace. Weirdly though, after a quick break to reset the treadmill before it timed out after 1 hour, it had 14.3 kph pretty much dead on at around 6:45/mi pace, despite no changes. Who knows what the real pace was, but a good workout nonetheless. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Bath Half cancelled.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    It's cancelled (not postponed) unsurprisingly...
  • Options
    A shame but yeah, not surprising. At least they are giving full refunds.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Are they? That's good of them - considering the hit they will take.
  • Options
    I imagine a big event like Bath would have insurance for things like this. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about all the races being called off; always frustrating but no doubt the right decision. 

Since my medium long snow run Wednesday I've been confined to the turbo/pool (one of the advantages of being a triathlete in these conditions). I'm deputy RD for a 20 mile race on Sunday (Thames Riverside 20) and we're still hopeful it'll go ahead. A lot of work has gone in and unlike the bigger races we could lose a lot of vital income for our running club.

Going to run the first half of the course tomorrow (it's 10 out, 10 back) to put up the mile markers and see if it's runable. Be safe this weekend everyone!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Think will be mild enough tomorrow and sunday to melt any snow/ice in London area Joe.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone getting out and running in this weather. I've never seen anything like it here. Can't get out of my road and attempted to run a few miles around the Rugby club fields but gave up as the snow was over ankle deep and up to my knees where it had drifted. Dont think its going to be thawing anytime soon so might have to go the leisure centre gym on Sunday for my first (and hopefully last) run on a treadmil. That's if its open-closed today like everthing else! Off to the pub now-best place to be in the circumstances!

Stay safe this weekend everyone.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Joe - hope you get the race on all ok. 

I see see the Big Half is still going ahead in London at the moment on Sunday which will make good viewing with Mo and Callum going head to head 

Sorry to heat Bath is cancelled - frustrating I’m sure for you guys. I’m frustrated enough at struggling to get out for normal runs at the minute!