Options

Lingering quad ache.....

TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Health + Injury
Hi all,

Had an ache in both quads for nearly 3 weeks now and I just can't shift it. I've run through it as it's not really getting any worse. It's more annoying than anything at the moment... It feels similar to DOMS which at first that's what I thought it was but surely it wouldn't hang around this long? The pain is definitely more of muscle ache than a strain type pain if that makes sense.

I'm a fairly experienced runner and have been rolling and stretching quads and ITB but it's not really improving. I'm running 80-90 miles per week and did 22 miles on them last weekend... I'm a little reluctant to go to the physio yet although i'd like the condition cleared up before I get to London if possible. 

Has anyone ever encountered anything similar?

TIA 

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I had a groin injury last year that after a few miles the ache would start in my groin then go away but would move down to my quad.   It was clear the damage was in the hip/groin area and the pain radiating down to the quad, and it did feel like DOMS.  I eased up a bit on the mileage and also slowed training pace when the pain came on, combined with lots stretches/exercises mostly hip flexor type.  Gradually it went away, I still ran my marathons and at the first one pain came on at 18 miles but not enough to stop me, I did slow a bit.  Next marathon it came on at 20 miles, next one at 22 miles and at the next one I was waiting for the quad pain to kick in but nothing and not had it since.

So maybe have a look at hip/groin stretches.
  • Options
    Thanks shades...

I will look into it and start giving them a go. I'm hoping the stretching etc... combined with a taper in a a few weeks will sort the problem.. Fingers crossed anyway.

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hope it does start to heal quickly.
  • Options
    <ul><li>Snap. Fixed mine with more downhill running, seems the stretch going down wasn't equalling the effort going up. Quad pain now gone.</li></ul>