Options

Ballot results 2019

13»

Comments

• Options
    With regards to GFA, these runners work hard to achieve their places and deserve them year in year out,I could not achieve this and take my hat off to them, plus it’s only 6000 entries, also I have no problem with the entries given to affiliated running clubs, they are bringing people up from grass roots! In my opinion,for what it’s worth, it’s the charities that should have their allocations cut, then IF people wish to run for a charity they can, on their terms! This,of course, will never happen, too much money involved from charities,in fact another 500 silver bond places are available for next year, so we’ll have to get used to fact that every year it’s going to get harder and harder, if not impossible to enter London 
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    re GFA entries, I think you'll find that the organisers set the parameters so that they can get a certain number in each of their categories, male/female, age related, so complaining that too many runners can get into the London every year is a bit pointless. 

If too many ere eligible they simply reduce the qualifying time, and, or so I understand, this year even if you have a GFA time, its now no longer a guaranteed entry if too many in your category have a time.

I quite understand the attraction of the London and my simply saying there's plenty of alternatives misses the point somewhat. To run London is a great experience that I can recommend to any runner, but if you are continually unlucky in the draw, don't want or can't get a charity place then a GFA place is one way to achieve your dream. Just not an easy way!

Charity places are a whole different scenario and its my personal opinion that there's something rotten in the whole system but that's another subject, as is a Charity, The Virgin London Marathon organisers paying athletes to run.

On the other hand, for myself, if I want to raise money for a charity then the London is a great way to do so, and, sorry to be smug, I can usually cruise round about 1/2 an hour inside my qualifying time - but then I'm old. But if its any consolation, I never apply for the London; too many people really want to run and I'm completely indifferent to its charms.
  • Options
    AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Happy days! Over family dinner yesterday I was moaning about my problems with London Marathon application,my eldest son laughed and said that he didn’t realise it was that important to me. He has just called me to say that ,via a good friend of his, my sister and I not only have starts for London but seats in the stands at the finish for family,bring on the 28th!!!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    who on earth does your son know that is able to magic this package up without having to raise thousands?? Great news either way for you though.
  • Options
    Hi. I need advice/opinions. I registered for the ballot but until today (15th oct) I had not heard back. I called the number on web page and was advised I had been withdrawn (from the ballot) without informing me as they believed my entry to be dodgy (I ran for a charity in 2017 with my son's name on my chest and the photos from 2017 were me with a different name so they believed I was a ringer) my money was not refunded however I was advised there is a secondary draw for people who were withdrawn (like myself) however I'm a little sceptical as I'm thinking this may have been a "line" from the customer service to get me to hang up phone and then next week they will just reject me! Is anyone aware of this and does the second ballot exist??
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    A second ballot for those pulled out for breaking the rules the in previous years...I don't quite understand your 2017 explabation. Did you run with someone else's place? 

In the first you need to look at terms of ballot entry and refunds. I don't also understand the refund issue. You only get sent a payment link if you are successful and have to physically make a payment. if you were withdrawn you haven't paid. 
  • Options
    Hi dt19. In 2016 I applied for the ballot and did not get lucky. A charity (national autistic society) got in touch beginning of jan 17 and said they had a place if I wanted it but had to raise over 1800. I took it and just managed target but when I was running I had my son's name on my vest (He is autistic hence my charity selection) however I regretted this as people kept on cheering the wrong name. I applied for 2019 as I now have the running bug and was told today that my name and the name on my vest for 2017 do not match up so I was withdrawn as they thought I had a ringer in 2017. I explained this to them and I am thinking the guy on the phone was just planing me off
  • Options
    Also I made the payment and "bequeathed " it but seems pointless if I was not even in the ballot. The main question really is does this exist?? Has anyone heard of this before?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    there is a separate 1000 or so places set aside for those that bequeath however that ballot happens with the main ballot and results sent out at same time. I can't see that if you were withdrawn from ballot due to essentially being black marked, that you would be put back in for this ballot. Personally I think you've been mugged off. The reason for this is that those who bequeath and don't get in get a jacket and they have been sent out which means that ballot must have happened. 

I do think that to withdraw you from ballot and still take money is wrong. Arguably they are in breach of gdpr as they are holding inaccurate data on you and I would be making a fuss about this. 
  • Options
    I do feel like I have been mugged off but have not received my jacket as yet. I would be more angry if I had not run london before. I will update this post if I hear back on this. I guess I will be focusing on the other 4 majors as I have now completed both london and Berlin (4weeks ago) and aim to complete all 6 world majors. 
  • Options
    AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    DT19, thankfully for us, an old Uni friend of my son works in corporate events management and these came via him from somewhere, not asking too many questions just grateful for the chance to take part
  • Options
    AliT100, congratulations on your luck, I worked on a small industrial estate on Surrey Quays years ago and each unit was given an entry because we couldn’t access/egress the site at weekend, I used it for four years,but never got the seating,that’s posh,lol. Paulswain180, I think you’ve been mugged off, but at least they gave you some sort of explanation,when my Wife called she was told “that we don’t have to explain our decisions “ then they hung up,really professional,not.
  • Options
    Dave wood 4, I was grateful for the explanation but I did ask them about the guy who is in a lot of my photos (a runner who stuck with me after a mile in) as he had "statto" on his vest but they said it was obvious it was a nickname. Understandable but then mine could have been the same! However I am still keeping fingers crossed in the hope. You never know!!!!!
  • Options
    Good morning everyone, sorry to read about so many problems, I thought I was the only one,after 3unsucesul attempts I received a ballot entry 2018 and had a great day applied again for 2019 and was SO lucky to be accepted! Thursday evening thought I would download stats/split times for comparison on training,found a”no results”phoned helpline Friday and was asked if I was sure of name and number as no records and number was last issued in 2015 (apparently they don’t issue consecutive numbers yearly) I’ve been told a supervisor will call me Monday/Tuesday to verify, cant wait for explanation!