Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Sunday Hamo. I'm sure the great training will pay off.

Fair enough Spoon. You know yourself far better than any of us.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: looking forward to the report on UTMB. You've done a lot of bug races in a short time so not surprised you're mentally fatigued. I felt a bit of that after my battle to finish the SDW100 - took me a good month to get my mojo back. Take it easy and enjoy the rest!
    SQ: we didn't get down to thumbs! Maybe the next time. Nice session yesterday. I always feel much faster/stronger running later in the day.
    Spoons: glad the fall wasn't catastrophic! Seems like you are back to where you were which is great. Good luck for Chippenham and hopefully a great result.
    I was successful this week in the ballot for the Lakeland 100 race next July which Macca did last month. So that'll be my main focus for next year (unless I get pulled out in the UTMB and/or Western States ballots which will change everything!), with Southampton Marathon in the lead up to it on the same day as VLM2020.
    7 miles at lunchtime today. Good news is that my legs are feeling much better at this stage than they were after the last hundred. Hopefully that bodes well for the A100.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best then spoons, your never felt so fresh comment goes against the wondering "if ive ever been as smoked" i asked myself last week.

Good news AWC, gives you a winter focus.

Backed up last night 15, with 10 inc my commute 6m tempo this morning. 20 something tomorrow will make a big approx 36hrs.
  • Options
    Hamo - have a great run there, looks like a good one for fast times. Looking forward to watching it on TV. 

AWC - congrats on the entry, another one I’d love to do but at a leisurely pace. 

Macca - I sense your report is going to be as epic as your run, can’t wait. 

TR - getting some big miles in, must be rgetting really fit. What’s next for you?

Steve - good to see you straight back into it. 

Spoons - another good session in the bag, good luck for the half. 

Starting to wind it down this week and did the traditional pre race parkrun. Extreme winds didn’t help but still managed to squeeze out a PB of 18:21. Was able to work with a couple of others but they pulled away into the wind at the end. Keen to see what I could do on a better day, but I don’t really have much speed in me so not sure it will come down much more. Just the 3 runs next week to go. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - solent 1/2 in 2 weeks, Abingdon mara in 6. Hope you smash it next week.

23 yday, 10 today.
  • Options

Morning all.

Super run yesterday spoons, especially following such a tough NAZ workout. Hope the BAC beast goes well. And if you could buy that measuring wheel to mark up numerous 200m intervals I reckon most of the Worcester running community would be grateful!

Blimey, TR, huge few days!

Great work on the parkrun PB, JohnOz. You say you haven’t much speed in you, but you are racking up the PBs. Bodes really well for the marathon, I’d say.

Standard trot around parkrun with the buggy on Saturday. It is Cheltenham paint week, so there was some exciting new graffiti (pretty good) to keep my daughter entertained. In other news, Cheltenham is getting a second parkrun this coming weekend. I suspect it won’t be as picturesque, nor quite as convenient, but good to have another local option.

I fancied a speedier run on Sunday, so took the exceptionally rare step of donning the VFs. Heading out for a classic 14M route, that incorporates a big hill early on, then plenty of undulations during the net downhill second half. Pleased to see a few 6:40s on the watch towards the end. Lovely country route, with a stunning sunrise and plenty of wildlife. A nippy 6C at the start though. Winter has arrived… 67M for the week, so building nicely post-Bath. 

Enjoyable recovery with spoons this morning. Good to chat away.

• Options
    Hope the GNR went well. looked great on the TV.

Good work on the parkrun PB in the wind!

Running around the Cotswold/chelts countryside with the sun shining sounds great and better than trudging along the canals around here!

Thanks for the advice folks on the MP long run. 15m at target MP was definitely enough after a hard week and could feel tired hamstrings/calves (18/20 would have been way too much(. That said - pacing hit, so good confidence boost.
  • Options
    TR - Some massive miles you are running at the moment.
    Spoons - Nice HMP session.
    John - Seems speedy to me, nice PB!
    SQ - nice weekly mileage!
    AWC - Congrats on LL100 entry! Did you follow the Centurion track 100? Some speedy times there this weekend!

10 miles for me on Saturday including parkrun, which I ran at target 10k pace, did 5 miles before parkrun then ran 19:10 at parkrun and then 2 miles back home. Parkrun pace felt fine, breathing was OK and didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. Easy 3 miler on Sunday with some strides.
  • Options
    Bodes well for the 10k, Steve

Where are you based BH? I love a good canal run. Well done on the MP. What did it come out as for you?
  • Options

Good news about the legs AWC.

Busy few days TR, nice work.

Great work to set a PB in poor weather John, shows what great form you’re in. Congrats.

Decent week SQ. The photos of your run yesterday looked lovely.

Great MP run BH, well done.

Sounds very positive about the 10K pace Steve.

Chippenham Half went well yesterday. Started off with an enjoyable 7ish miles warm-up, along the Avon and then a cycle path I spotted on Google Maps. Then the race itself at marathon pace. Felt pretty decent, the course is gently undulating at times, but pretty flat overall. There’s a small hill at 12ish, but it’s then all downhill for the final 1/2 mile, which is always nice. Overall a very good race, well marshalled and organised. 

Pretty sure the course was slightly long, as the 13 mile marker was dead-on, but the final 0.1 miles was about 400m! Anyway, 6:16 average pace, and the heart rate where it should be other than the hill at the end. Legs were obviously feeling pretty tired by the end, but still turning over well. Wrapped it up with a few miles warm-down for 21.9 miles at 6:30/mi average. Happy with that at the end of a 116 mile week, especially given a week before walking was still uncomfortable!

Taper time now, still have the final BAC 30/4x5/30 session, and the Worcester 10K, but mileage will drop right down. As Ben Rosario (NAZ coach) said recently, no one ever looks back and wishes they ran more during the taper!

• Options
    Birmingham/Solihull - in fairness, Sorequads, the canals are actually really nice round here once you have got out of the city. Target pace was 7.20 min/mile

Great stuff at chippenham half - sounds like it went well.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    John: well done on the 5km PB
    TR: big mileage with a 23mi!
    SQ: nice VF run! What are the VF's like width wise? I've shied away from them as I wear Altras which have quite a wide toe box.
    Blue H: nice to hit those MP miles. Good confidence boost. And 116mi monster week!
    Steve: yes I was keeping track online. Tom Payn ran a great race - very well paced and really pulled away from the others in the 2nd half. That's him up to 7th I think in the British Records table although its an hour slower than Zach Bitter's receent WR. I think Matt Dickinson is one of Joe's clubmates as he won the NDW100 last year?
    Struggled round a 16 miler yesterday with a cold. In hindsight I should have stayed in bed! Feeling ok today but won't run and hopefully I'll feel a bit better tomorrow

• Options
    Congratulations all round for more good racing & training.
    Nice PB John.
    Interesting about another new Cheltenham parkrun SQ. Where's it to be? With Ross starting 6 weeks ago & Mallard's Pike a fortnight ago there are a lot more options locally now. You'd like Mallard's single lap fire trail steep climb over the first half but a glorious descent to the finish if I've got the course right. Nice cafe after too & of course plenty of waterfowl for your wee one to coo over.
    I did the Ross-on-Wye one myself Saturday. I cycled there pretty hard & although it was only just over 7M I felt a bit cooked + legs were feeling the sudden leap in training volume so unsurprisingly I was shockingly slow. It's 2.5 flat laps all on grass with lots of turns. On a softer day it'd be ideal for XC spikes/training. I'd gone flat-out so the 9M return loop was plenty for the day. Sunday was beautiful so I jumped on the bike aiming to do 56M & plenty of hills as a tester for TriX in 3 weeks. I managed 60M & over 5000ft of elevation so that was 2 ticks however I had planned to run 5-10K after some lunch but I was that whacked I thought better of it.
    First training run done since August 18th: 5M plod along the canal before work. Legs were definitely suffering from the bike battering still but gradually loosened up.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - still getting the miles in nicely.

Horseshoe - if you did 15m at mp, then thats more than a good marker. I still say 18 or 20 is impossible outside of a race, i wouldnt get anywhere near 15 myself.

Good to see you chipper spoons, tgat BAC session doesnt sound much of a taper.

Hope you feel better soon AWC

Jools - getting the bit between yr teeth agsin.

Wet (and therefore cold) 10m home tonight, 3min reps in the morning, last big Abo week.
  • Options
    BH - sensible on the MP mileage and well done on the execution, that’s definitely a confidence boost

Spoons - Well done at Chippenham. I also like your style to ask for advice and then do what you wanted to anyway  :)

Steve - are you committing to the 10k then, or still waiting to see if you can bump up to the half? A controlled 19:10 is very good running.

AWC - hope you feel better soon

Jools - glad to see you getting back into it

SQ - the VF’s on a training run, controversial. The Yorkshireman in me is thinking about the cost per mile! Solid week of training.

John - another PB bodes well in tough conditions. Good luck for Sunday.

Macca - still waiting for that race report!

Hamo - hope your absence is the result of a few too many in Gateshead yesterday!

81 miles total for me last week, with my first 20 miler of the plan as I missed the one 2 weeks ago. I find the first one always to be tough mentally and physically. 10 very easy miles over a couple of runs today though seems to have loosened things.

I decided against a hit out at park run on Saturday. I wasn’t feeling the best, so decided not to go and compound the performance at Maidenhead.
  • Options
    SQ...Nice accelerations in your run. Hill sprints are a good idea, hard work, but they fairly work. Class speedy run on Sunday too.

Spoons...Fair play to you, you know your body better than any of us, and Chippenham seems to have been the correct decision. Brilliant run for you there, and paced well, everything is pointing to good things for Berlin.

AWC...glad your legs are feeling good, shame about the cold though, hope it clears soon. Congrats on the Lakeland 100.

TR...Nice consistent big miles, as always, perfect mara training.

John...Brilliant PB, congrats.

BH...Class MP long run, bound to be a boost to  your confidence.

Steve...Nice parkrun sandwich, and an very speedy pace for the parkrun itself, class.

Jools...That's a big weekend of training you've put in there, no surprise your feeling it.

HPR...It certainly was, and more than a few too many  :D  Massive week, and nice long run, well done.

As i said to HPR, i'm only just about sober enough now to be back on here after the Great North Run...have i said before how much i love the GNR weekend  :D   

The race itself went really well, and Macca will be happy to hear that i have a photo of me crossing the elite finish on the road, as promised  B):D I finished 56th out of 57000, in a new pb time of 1.13.12 (2 and a half min pb) so cant complain about it at all. Was a perfect day/weather for running, and even more perfect for  pinting in the sunshine in South Shields after  :D

Haven't ran since, legs are a bit battered (that drop onto the seafront at 12 mile, can really bite), but more importantly haven't been sober since i crossed the finish line to be able to run. :D  Maybe venture out for a recovery run this evening, or tomorrow morning to get the legs moving again, with Belfast half next weekend in mind.

The maddest thing about the whole weekend though, is after i finished a girl from Metro radio asked if she could ask me a few questions about the race, i said certainly. Wasn't paying much attention to what was going on around me, just talking to the woman, but Mo Farah was right behind me getting interviewed himself (still not noticed him yet  :D), so the wife took/has a photo of me and Mo Farah getting interviewed 2 feet part at the elite finish of the GNR - completley mad, but the kids are mesmerized by it  :D:flushed:
  • Options

Best of luck with the final BAC sandwich tomorrow, spoons. A tough session.

AWC I don’t think VFs are the widest, but certainly a lot more so than my adios. And they will certainly have a much higher stack than altra.

Jools the new parkrun is around a playing field called King George V. It is weird as I have never even noticed it on a map before, but it looks a reasonable size. Thanks for the Mallards Pike info – sounds like it could be a great morning out. Solid work on the bike – and wise the knock the run on the head. I reckon you’ll make rapid progress from now on.

HPR, they are my old pair, to be fair! Big week from you.

Blimey, hamo, top 0.1% of finishers isn’t bad! Cracking PB – really well deserved. Now come on – get the photo up on here!

Legs feeling a little fatigued last night and this morning, and so I could perhaps have done with one more day’s rest, but decided to crack on with an interval session nonetheless. I had planned 5- 6 x 1M on the marked riverside path, with 2:30 jog rests. 6:08, 6:04, 6:08, 6:14. After such a decline in pace for the fourth, I changed tack, finishing with 4 x 400 in 1:29, with 400 jog recoveries. Total about 10.8M at 7:10 pace, also Strava will say otherwise with the GPS not enjoying the tree coverage. An enjoyable session and I really like having the quarter mile intervals marked out.

• Options
    I'm not 100 percent sure on how to get a picture up on here, but ill give it a go SQ....

Nice mile reps by the way, and sensible to drop down if you weren't feeling the last couple.

(i'm the boy on the left in the black by the way, Mo's your man on the right in the red  ;):D

• Options
    Hamo - Quality PB and photo!! Congrats on a superb race!
    SQ - Wise to change session, but a good workout.
    HPR - Massive week! Yes think I'm going with the 10k as haven't raced on of those this year!
    TR - Nice miles again, you must be confident for Abo?
    Jools - Nice bike miles.
    Easy 11 miles this morning.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hyde - good stuff 

Hamo - excellent, a very good return on yr investment, great to see.

Nice training SQ

Steve - hopefully im heading back to sub 255 shape, but i was only ever low 2.5X at best (although i didnt run this much) as im a bit heavy. Im also 52 now so running against the sands of time.

Upped last weeks 16 reps to 20x3min/30sec jog today, aerobically a comfy enough session but a bit of a leg breaker.
  • Options
    Congratulations Hamo. That's a great performance & well deserved after your solid training recently. Love that photo too.
    TR You've got to be getting back towards PB shape with three (& a bit) consistent campaigns behind you. Just need to manage the taper correctly & hope for a reasonably still day at Abo. A rerun of last year's conditions would be ideal.
    No such thing as an easy 11M for me yet Steve. You'll smash that 10K for sure.
    Never heard of it SQ. Sounds like a decent enough session with the late adjustment.
    I had a bit of a scare yesterday when I checked on the date for TriX: I'd assumed it was the 29th but discovered that it's actually the 22nd :s so just 21 days to get myself fit enough without being too knackered :D I had a much more promising swim last night: an interval session with the tri club. Arms were useless by the end of it but 2.2K done in just 38 minutes & although they were a bit stiff first thing an 11M cycle commute loosened them up & they're fine now. Thought I'd best carry on my run streak ;) too 4K super easy with the new Y7 XC lads at lunch then battered the bike back before heading to the club for a track session: 10K in total with 3x 3mins@10K pace/30s rest run back to start point @5K pace with 3 minute jog recoveries between each pair. 1st set went well but everyone sped up too much so 5K pace became mile pace which meant the other 2 pairs were much harder than they ought to have been. At least they were pretty consistent albeit slower than that first effort.
  • Options
    TR - Sounds like a tough session, but I definately think you are in great shape to trouble 2:55!
    Jools - Back to it I see!
    Another 10 miles today, was meant to be 9 miles, but upped to 10!
  • Options
    Cheers Men.

Steve...nice 11.

TR...20 reps of 3 mins is a good bit of work, fair play to ya. Will you cap it at 20 or do more reps in the next few weeks? 

Jools...Sure that lost week would have just been tapering anyway  ;):D Nice to see that your trending upwards already though, and getting sessions done, I've no doubt you'll be fine for the TriX.

Set my alarm for 6 this morning to do 7 recovery miles, it went off, i quickly realised i couldn't be assed running in the cold pishing rain, so rolled over and went back to sleep for an extra hour in bed...good commitment shown by me as always :flushed::D I'll hopefully get them done this afternoon after work, but I always get a bit cba'd after a big race/few days of eating and drinking everything i look at. Few runs, easy or otherwise, will get me back in the swing of things...just need to do them 1st  :*:D
  • Options

Get well soon AWC.

Sounds like you’re getting back in to things Jooligan. Bad luck on the date mix up, at least you realised now!

Big week HPR. Sensible not to parkrun if you weren’t up for it. I always find the first few big long runs tough if I’ve not done them for a while. Takes a little time to get in the groove.

Congratulations Hamo, absolutely fantastic performance. Great photo too. Think you’ve earned a few lazy days after that!

Still a good session even if you did cut it short SQ, sensible decision.

Great reps TR, that’s a big session, and not a lot of recovery!

Nice 11 and 10 Steve.

So, final BAC tempo sandwich today - 30@MP, 4x5@LT, 30@MP. Typically, the weather decided to get both warmer and windier - gusts up to 30mph according to the forecast, so not exactly ideal. Legs felt pretty good for the first MP section, but pace was slightly off at 6:22/mi average. Given the wind though I wasn’t too disappointed. The LT intervals actually went really well - average 5:46/mi, compared to 5:49/mi for the 4 min ones two weeks ago, and 5:48 for the 5 min ones from the same session prior to Manchester. So I was pretty pleased with that.

Unfortunately by this point, I was suffering with a slightly unsettled stomach that required a visit back to my flat. I was also conscious that while I still felt ok (as evidenced by the intervals), I was going to need to dig deep for the second MP section. I therefore opted to ditch it. If I didn't have the race this Sunday I'd probably have cracked on, but I don't want to overcook myself. This will hopefully leave me fresher for the 10K, and given I did 13 miles @ MP last Sunday, it’s no great loss. Overall it was 13 miles at 6:30/mi, so still a decent workout.

• Options
    Hamo - well deserved result at GNR and absolutely class picture. Get it framed and on the wall at home, you can tell guests you were being interviewed for finishing 2nd behind Mo. Don’t worry about the relative lack of motivation, you’re definitely owed a few days off.

SQ - sounds like you rescued it and ended up with a good session in the end

Steve - things are always looking good if you find yourself deciding to add miles on the spur of the moment. Any plans for another half, or just concentrating on the 10k for now?

TR - Sounds like a good session. How long ago was your PB set? With your consistent training since Yeovil it certainly sounds like you’ll trouble it

Spoons - wise to drop the last section of MP, still a good session though

Jools - Good to see you jumping back in to training. Also, better to know now the date issue rather than in a couple of weeks! TriX looks a tough one, which distance are you doing?

11 miles with 5 at LT yesterday evening for me. The pace was 6-8 seconds per mile slower than where I thought I’d be, but I was pretty shattered from a stressful day and was struggling with a slightly iffy stomach. The effort was definitely in the right region, so the training effect should still be there.
  • Options

Jools - Good to see you jumping back in to training. Also, better to know now the date issue rather than in a couple of weeks! TriX looks a tough one, which distance are you doing?
    “Just” the half this year. It’ll be my 5th consecutive year there. Did the full too in 17 & 18! This year they’ve introduced a couple of extra races on the Saturday for the first time. Not going there though, although I managed a Parkrun & a short fell race the day before last year 🤣
  • Options
    Sorry...new here and not sure how to start a new topic so putting this here...

Does anyone have any experience of using the Jack Daniels plans…I’d be very interested in hearing what changes/modifications you made and your experiences in terms of how prepared you felt.

As background, I started the Q2 90-113km plan back in June. Because I was in the middle of triathlon season, I did the the two quality workouts in combination with 3 cycling workouts and 2-3 swim sessions. I didn’t aim to hit the weekly km goal as I simply wouldn’t have had time to and also wouldn’t be able to recover with the additional cycling workouts.

Ambitiously, I set my starting week one paces so that my final marathon pace runs would be the same as that required to get a sub 3 hour marathon (4:16/km). I saw this as a “stretch goal” but also thought I just might be able to do it (I did a half marathon in 1:28:30 in March).

Training was going well and I was completing the quality workouts as planned and hitting the prescribed paces. My weekly km’s fluctuated between 40 - 80km depending on how I felt each week and how much time I had for additional runs outside of triathlon training. However, I went through a patch of 3-4 weeks with limited running due to 18 days holidays combined with my “A” triathlon race (just before holidays which required a weeks taper).

Now, triathlon season is over and I can mostly concentrate on running. I have 7 weeks to my marathon but I have 17 quality workouts left. So, if I want to do all quality workouts left in the plan, I will need to do a few weeks with 3 quality workouts. Either that, or I should cut some of the workouts completely.

So, my questions to anyone who has done the Q2 plan before would be:

- Of the 4 types of quality workouts (marathon pace, intervals, tempo, long easy), which would you recommend shortening and/or cutting completely? My thinking is cutting the interval sessions because I think they have probably the least benefit compared to other 4

- Do you think its more important to do the quality workouts at the prescribed paces or get the weekly mileage in?
    I’m unsure what I should aim to run at on the actual marathon…my current marathon pace runs are done at 4:14/km and I can complete every workout at this pace but I’m usually at my limit (longest marathon pace run was 17 miles with 12 miles at marathon pace) and can’t imagine doing that pace (or close to it) for a full marathon. Is this a sign that I should lower my expectations or will the taper/adrenaline significantly improve ability to run at that pace over the full distance?

- The longest marathon pace run in the plan is 17 miles with 12 miles at marathon pace…does this sufficiently prep you for doing full marathon at marathon pace? Or should I add in sessions with longer marathon pace runs?

Sorry for the long post…but would be great to hear anyone’s perspective from the Daniels plan…my training seemed to be going very well and I was confident I could go the distance at sub 3 hour pace but now I feel like I won’t be sufficiently prepared in time for it
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    HPR: sounds pretty good LT if you aren't feeling 100%
    Hamo: superb result and great photo with Mo in it!
    Spoons: sensible decision not to overcook things at this stage
    TR: you are in great shape for 52 sir. Just shows that age isn't really an issue when it comes to endurance running when you are looking at running sub-3
    I'm almost over this cold now although I have an afternoon of eating and drinking at the Ivy in London tomorrow so that probably won't do me much good.
    Another set of 400m reps at lunch yesterday and today - definitely beginning to feel a bit of a change after 2 weeks of this. Although running feels a lot harder in general because I'm doing things slightly differently. Coach told me it would be 5-6 weeks before things settle down.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jools - you can probably jam a lot of bike and swim in without tiring yourself too much.

Hamo - possibly 24 reps next week, but i have a 1/2 mara the following sunday, we'll see.

Spoons - your tummy playing up alliwed you to keep some powder dry. You cant get any fitter now.

Hyde - its the effort that counts. I did my first mara in 2008 in 2.53 aged 41, in 2012 i did 2.51.0x (pb), in 2013 i also did 59.09 and 78.15 which are still pbs. But i was more multisport and ran less. I had a very low 12 months mid 2016 to 17, and have been trying to get back to it since. Low 2.5X and low 8X are the aims now, before i get too old.

D88 - sorry cant help.

AWC - cheers, there are plenty of folks still going well in their 50s, the AG rankings are an eye opener and inspiration. Enjoy the Ivy.

6m easy today.
  • Options
    Hi D88, afraid I can’t help with JD either but re the MP runs, IIRC P&D top out at 14miles @ MP and whilst you might feel how do I do another 12, you shouldn’t be hanging on for dear life in my experience.

Hamo - glad you pointed out yourself/Mo 🤣. A brilliant race, so glad you finished on the road and some.  That is an excellent photo too. I think you earned a lie in.

All good training noted TR, RSR, HPR, SQ, BH and Steve.

I think I spotted another PB somewhere through my brain fog John, well done.

Jools - sounds like you’ve hit the ground running, good luck with the shortened build up.

AWC - hope the cold has cleared.  I’m in for LL100 too, it’s a great (tough) event, theres a good blog about it on the Centurion site.

I ran a P&D session today so thought I’d mention it. 4@LT - down on spring times but not massively so, all things considered, very happy with it.

Report update - I’m about 3/4 through but be warned, it’s not very exciting😴 To answer a few questions, yes I would do it again at the drop of a hat, I loved the whole experience even if my face didn’t show it at the time - type 2 fun I think they call it ! SQ - they gave out different coloured wristbands depending on race, I only spotted a couple on the campsite, one of which was in a van.  Truth be told, I felt a little guilty spending 5 days doing my thing so spending £40 on accommodation instead of £400 allayed the guilt a little.