Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options

Good going at the relays SQ. The post-race dip looked nice.

Those Normatech boots seem very popular with the pros John, shame they’re so expensive! Look forward to the report.

TR yes to be clear I’m totally relaxed about those missed few days now, I was just referencing they were the only blip in an otherwise great block of training. 24, 12, 15, nice work! Isn’t marathon training all about running on tired legs!? :D

Winding things down now, just eight miles along the canal this morning. I almost forgot to stop, as I was on total autopilot. Weirdly, having discussed being stung by wasps with SQ on our recovery yesterday (as he was stung at the weekend), today a wasp (at least I think it was) flew up under my sunglasses, got trapped, and stung me just below my eye. Luckily I’m not allergic, but it does feel rather sore. Must be the first time I’ve been stung in about 20 years. Serves me right for being the wanker wearing sunglasses at 6:30am :D 

• Options
    I dug this up from the bowels of the thread, apologies if I missed a later one and anyone’s cut off.....

Bath Two Tunnels - 18/8
    SQ

Great North Run - 8/9
    Hamo

Berlin - 29/9
    RunSpoonRun - NAZ/BAC/P&D hybrid - 2:44:59
    Chick: - Classic P&D for a delusional 3:18

Chicago - 13/10
    Blue Horseshoe

Abingdon - 20/10
    TR
    Macca

Frankfurt - 27/10
    Joe Blogs

Dublin - 27/10
    Hamo
    Northender

Valencia - 1/12
    Hydeparkrunner
    Joe Blogs
    dct
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Spoons - understood, good man. Ouch re the sting.

Macca - nice, are you still running Abo?

Saw a nice improvement in my 10 inc 6 tempo commute today despite the recent miles. Im heading back to whete i was a few years back, at last.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the comments folks.

SQ - sounds like the relays were a really good day out.  I couldn’t have written the script for this year, I even found time for a couple of dot weeks through injury, probably not a bad thing in hindsight.

Hamo - I’ll look out that programme.  I found myself in someone’s video on Youtube.  My kids will be more impressed I’m on YouTube than having run the UTMB.

TR - xpost Yes still intending to do Abo.  I mainly entered so I wouldn’t be tempted to enter another 100 (got a 50 in Nov) so I’m fairly relaxed about a time, will see how the next few weeks feel, 8@6:37ave yesterday felt like “hanging on” a bit too much so hopefully I’ll be sensible.  A good sign with the tempo, especially with the recent mileage in the legs.

RSR - sorry to hear about the wasp. I’ve had so many flies in my eyes this summer I was thinking about getting some running sunglasses, might have to go for the full goggles ones.  I’ve had a few decent results but ones where you feel there might have been a bit more, use that feeling to get what you deserve from Berlin.  If 2:44 is still the goal I think that 10k was a good marker (with some tough sessions in the legs).
  • Options
    Spoons...shame the 10k didn't quite go to plan, still a quick, quick time though. As others have said, trust the training and with fresher legs you'll fly round Berlin. Bad luck on the wasp sting, they are especially angry wee feckers this time of the year.

SQ...good going at the relays, sounds like  a brilliant day all round.

John...the 2 courses are much of a muchness really, Belfast slightly flatter if anything i suppose, but GNR has an overall drop. Glad your legs are feeling good, looking forward to the report.

TR...tired legs are the staple of marathon training, no?  :D Nice 15 and tempo, confidence booster when you can notice improvements.

Macca...Oh yes, youtube is the be all and end all  :D:D 

10 with 2 at HMP and 8x100 strides for me this morning. Usual race week fare, before the onslaught of recovery miles from now to Sunday.  :D Went well, but just like the same session 2 weeks ago, i got bit excited on the HMP miles, coming in a bit too keenly at 5.28 and 5.30 min/miles. Still felt ok, and the strides loosened the legs up a bit. Take it all nice and easy for the rest of the week now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Macca - nice, I'll look out for you then.

Hamo - looks like you are good to go again then.
  • Options
    6 mile recovery this morning for me was uneventful, but had to break out the gloves though for the 1st time in a long time, which was a bit of a shock.
  • Options
    TR - Nice long run and double digit to back it up the next day.
    Spoons - Congrats on the 10k, I think that's a great performance after your recent high mileage weeks.
    John - That is a massive PB!! Congrats, you have the full set this year I think?? 5k to mara? My 10k PB is 38:36.
    Hamo - Nice HM paced miles.
    SQ - nice running at the relays.
    I did 19 miles on Saturday then a 5 miler on Sunday to finish a 55 mile week. Then 13 miles Tuesday and 7 miles today.
  • Options
    Sorry not been on the thread for a while - but really enjoyed reading the UTMB post and see the pictures, Macca

Well done on the 10k, spoons, hope taper goes well and good luck with race to you and Chick.

Had a slight foot tendon issue which happened during my highest mileage weeks on P&D plan which I guess is not too unexpected but a bit frustrating not fully get through all he training - hoping the taper period in final 2 weeks or so removes any lingering issue here. Physio didn't seem to concerned which was confidence boosting.
  • Options

No rest for the wicked then Macca! Yes, 2:44:xx is the goal.

Great news on the tempo improvement TR, always nice when you see progress.

Getting overexcited on the pace seemed to work well before GNR Hamo! Have a good one.

Great consistent running as usual Steve.

Bad luck with the foot BH, but at least the physio is happy. Better to get it sorted now than have it flare up during the marathon.

Like Hamo I had to dig out the gloves this morning, for a chilly final BAC session - 10 mins @ MP, then 8x2 mins @ 5K. For some reason I’d gotten in my head it was 5x2, so I was a little disappointed when I loaded up the workout on my watch and discovered I had 3 extra reps to do :disappointed: The MP section went well, legs turned over nicely and it felt a bit better than how I remember it feeling pre-Manchester (although that’s admittedly now quite a distant memory!) Running that for another 2.5 hours seems preposterous, but then it always does! 6:16/mi so bang on target.

The 2 minute reps were a bit more of a struggle. My breathing felt a bit tight from the cold air, and the legs were a bit flat - they probably still have the 10K in them. The first one came out at 5:22/mi pace, so a bit enthusiastic, the next one was the other extreme, down to 5:54/mi, although I suspect that might have been a bit of a GPS blip. The next four came out between 5:34 and 5:46, and didn’t feel that great, so I considered cutting it short. In the end I pushed on, and was glad I did as the final two were 5:29/mi and 5:33/mi. Overall an average of 5:37/mi, a bit slower than the 5:30/mi I averaged pre-Manchester, but I didn’t have a 10K in my legs back then.

Overall happy enough with the workout. Not much more to do now other than obsess over weather forecasts and pray I'm not sat next to someone with a cold on the flight over :lol:
  • Options
    Good work macca, adding myself back in

Bath Two Tunnels - 18/8
    SQ

Great North Run - 8/9
    Hamo

Sydney - 15/9
    JohnOz

Berlin - 29/9
    RunSpoonRun - NAZ/BAC/P&D hybrid - 2:44:59
    Chick: - Classic P&D for a delusional 3:18

Chicago - 13/10
    Blue Horseshoe

Abingdon - 20/10
    TR
    Macca

Frankfurt - 27/10
    Joe Blogs

Dublin - 27/10
    Hamo
    Northender

NYC - 3 Nov
    JohnOz

Valencia - 1/12
    Hydeparkrunner
    Joe Blogs
    dct

TR - must be encouraging to feel the progression as you near the peak weeks. What's your PB?

Hamo - tapering nicely, are you having another all out blast at Belfast or more of a workout?

Blue Horseshoe - I'm sure taper will mend up any niggles. You may want to try applying Voltaren to where it feels sore, it seemed to work for my tib ant tendon in the lead up to Sydney.

Spoons - it's all in the bank now, certainly sounds like you're ready to go.

Steve - yes well spotted, and all my PBs have been set in the last 7 weeks! I think you can definitely go low 38 mins with your HM times. When is your 10k?

Aiming for a report tomorrow, still not started it yet as I'm trying to recall what I've done differently to make the jump. Still no running either, may try a short jog tomorrow.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. Sorry I've been AWOL again. Been on holiday with Croatia and generally just having a bit of a rough time with some mental health issues. Getting the support I need though.

Macca - had been waiting for the report for ages and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely got more than one eye on a transition to long-distance running in the future and UTMB is very much at the top of the list. But just in awe of your performance mate, absolutely incredible stuff. Chapeau. 

John - huge congrats - awesome run, really happy for you. Look forward to reading about it.

Spoons - that's come around quick! Good run in the 10km, doesn't always turn out exactly how you hope, but in good shape for Berlin.

Hamo - blown away with your GNR performance. 

I've just about reached rock bottom fitness wise, but finally feeling a spark to get things going again. I've signed up for Ironman Wales which is a years time, I've done it before, and really looking forward to going back.

It's a long road from here though. Over a stone heavier than my normal self and training paces are vastly different from normal, but got to start somewhere!

Frankfurt and Valencia will most likely be enjoyable long runs, hopefully be able to keep up with Katie as she's absolutely flying at the moment. My prediction for her this autumn in 3:02. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done spoons, time to find your inner zen.

Joe - good to hear that you are getting some support. You are an all in kind of guy, hopefully you can find ways to balance everything.

John - pb's are 35.5X, 59.09, 78.15 and 2.51.0X all from 2012 and 13, but i was more multisport then. The 10m and 1/2 was set of around 100m per month but after a summer of 1/2 IM training. I had a long time out with injury in 2016 though snd am now over 50. The best i can be on the day is the Abo target.

12m today, 93 for the past 7 days which must be a record, need to ease up for Sundays 1/2 now, although its probably a bit late now. But Abo is no 1 target anyway.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good to see you back Joe, having a target race will do wonders for motivation, am sure you'll be bouncing back soon. At least you've got a couple of nice weekends away with no pressure.

TR - that's some great times off tri training, even with age the speed will still be there and you've done a huge block of mileage. Looking good for Abo in my books.

Long report coming up...
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Sydney Marathon 2019

2019 kicked off with me getting a few niggles in different places and they never really went away completely. I had already decided to focus on the shorter distances in the first half of the year and followed P&L for a decent 7 weeks, getting up to 95 miles. However that was the tipping point when I overdid it and ended up getting shin splints, which knocked me out for a few weeks in April. It's my first real injury in 5 years of running and whilst I knew the advice is to back off and get it treated early, I still stubbornly didn't do it.

This meant I was underprepared for a hilly HM in May and whilst it was a course PB of just under 1:25 it wasn't where I wanted to be. I had big plans of then ramping up for Gold Coast marathon in July but as I had to take another 2 weeks off I was clearly not going to get in enough running. So I made the decision to switch to the HM and try to be sensible about building up again. So with just 3 weeks of running I lined up in the wind and pouring rain (it's supposed to always be great running weather but has been awful the 2 years I have run there) not knowing what was going to happen. Fortunately I got into a decent group and whilst I was blowing up at the end I managed a new PB of 1:23.

This seemed to be a turning point and I managed to string together some consistent running, not following any particular plan and also doing more treadmill running to alleviate the still tender shin. Instead of workouts I decided to race more, every 2-3 weeks, and this resulted in a string of new PBs at 5k (18:21), 10k (37:28), the City2surf 14k and HM (80:50). This last PB was a surprise, I felt good but more out of confidence than any hard evidence, so talked myself into going with the 80 min pacer. On the day he actually shot off way quicker so I let him go and ran my own race, and was amazed to still come in with a big PB. Although it was perfect weather, I also put it down to a couple of other factors: changes at work meant I was now a full time athlete ;-) and after visiting a physio about my shin I had started some basic strength training. Whilst I didn't notice any big changes, I must have been recovering much better and also getting stronger. This was when I started plugging my times into calculators and seeing some crazy predictions! Admittedly there was a large variation - some said as low as 2:48 was possible but others were saying 2:56. My original plan for Sydney Marathon was to run with the 3 hour pacers, get in a decent block of training and hit it hard at NYC. However when you're feeling fit and the form is there, you never know how long you can hold it for so I decided to go for it.

The week of the race was super windy but was forecast to die down by Sunday, only to be replaced by high temperatures. I felt that realistically I was probably in 2:53 shape, which would still be a big chunk off my PB of 2:58. I was worried by a lack of proper long runs, having only completed 1x22M and a few totalling 20M but split over the day. However I didn't want to run solo and the group last year made it much more enjoyable, not to mention shielding from the wind. In the day or two before with the rest, feeling strong and carb loading, I talked myself into believing that I could maintain a pace that only a few months earlier was my LT pace, so 2:50 it was! I just managed to dodge the flu making it's way around the family and my back was holding up after locking up only a week earlier. The race was on!

Race morning went smoothly and it felt cold on the start line, usually indicating perfect conditions. I found the 2 pacers and we set off over the Harbour Bridge in glorious sunshine (one of only 2 times a year it is closed, the other being NYE). A group of around 10 formed and we went through 5km in just under 20 mins. This was ahead of schedule and was to be an ongoing theme. This 5km stretch also had a fair amount of downhill so maybe not unexpected. At this point I felt like I was using a bit too much effort and was nervous about already being ahead of 2:50 pace. Briefly I considered dropping back so as to not blow up but there wasn't another group to run with so I tucked in and decided to reassess at 10km.

The next 5km headed out towards Centennial Park and did have some uphill, yet it was another sub 20 min split. I'd stopped looking at my watch by now but one of the pacers said in a surprised voice "we're some way ahead of schedule", which didn't give me a lot of confidence this was going to end well. The group was still fairly big but a few had dropped off now and at the switchbacks I could see them straining to get back on. I realised I didn't feel any worse than at 5km and had settled into the pace, so just decided to go with it. We were getting water at every station as the pacers warned it was going to get hot and this led to a yo-yoing effect. The good news was I felt myself having to consciously slow down a few times to stay in the pack. In fact I was so focused and the miles were flying by that I forgot to take my first gel until 12km.

At 15km we saw the leaders going back the other way, a group of about 5 Kenyans and 1 Japanese. They were really motoring and it's amazing to see them in full flight stretching away. The group was now down to 7 but working well together. Another 5km, another sub 20 min split, rinse and repeat for 15-20km. Curiously for a Gold Label race there was no halfway mat but we went through in just under 1:24 and I was fully aware that a couple of months ago that would be around my HM PB. I was going to have to pull something special out of the bag to avoid a massive blow up!
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Back into the city and a nice downhill stretch let the legs take a break. 20-25km was reached in bang on 20 mins. The group was down to about 5 and we now reached the mentally challenging part of the course where we go past the finish and head out to the quietest, hilliest part. Despite the hills we clicked off another 20 mins for 25-30km. We were about 90 seconds up by now and I hoped the pacers would ease back a little. 

We're now down to 2 of us and the 2 pacers and for the first time 30-35km is just over 20 mins. It's at this point that I felt it getting really quite hard yet there's still some way to go. I'm hanging on and have to surge a few times to stay close. Fortunately we're overtaking a few runners here and there. A small gap appears and I decide to take a caffeine strip, only to open the packet and for it to get blown away. I don't have the spare energy to open another one so just press on. I've got a spare gel but I can never force one down at this late stage. It's also starting to finally get warm so I'm looking for any bit of shade I can find.

I watch the pacers and their last passenger slowly move away and all I can do is dig in. My legs actually don't feel too bad but aerobically I'm at my limit. A few tiny ramps become torture and it's all about hanging on. At 38km a couple of runners come past but it's very lonely now. I'm still not looking at my watch but it feels like I'm slowing dramatically. However 35-40km turns out to be 21 mins, so still at sub 3 pace. I don't know this at the time and have visions of the sub 3 group running me down. No one else is in sight though so I'm still hopeful of sub 2:55. 

Going under the Harbour Bridge should be inspiring but it's at 40km and all the photographers have set up around here, so more energy spent on trying to look good for the photos. At this point you can also look across Circular Quay to the Opera House and the finish line but it feels so far away. I overtake one runner who has cramped up and hit the final straight. It's narrow and crowded with spectators and cafes but the atmosphere is electric. One more ramp up some steps and I hit the home straight. I see 2:50 on the clock and cannot believe it, there's no way that I should be anywhere near that time. But it's for real and I cross the line and realise I did it, I only just went and ran 8.5 min PB! 

Even now I still struggle to fathom how I did it given the patchy build up, injuries and lack of any proper plan. Whilst I felt OK physically, the biggest difference was probably that I didn't set any time goal until late on, and once I did there I had an almost unshakeable conviction in it. It really showed me the power of building mental strength and even when it felt tough very early on, believing that I could maintain it. I'm glad I went with the pacers, even though they finished well under 2:50, they definitely pulled me along. Having done 2-3 marathon blocks every year maybe I should also focus on just one, after all it doesn't get any easier with age. I also think the different training stimulus helped (BAC sessions, racing instead of LT workouts) and whilst some will swear by tried and tested plans, I can see how at some stage you can benefit from a change.

So now to rest up and a then do short block leading up to NYC marathon in 6 weeks time. My dilemma now is whether to enjoy it or go for a time... I'll decide the week before.
  • Options
    TR - Massive mileage, hopefully a lighter few days will see you go well in the half.
    Spoons - Great final session.
    John - 10k is at beginning of October.
    Joe - Good to hear, remember we are always here for you to virtually get things off your chest if you need to speak!
    Hamo - Yeah I've also had the gloves out this week!
    BH - Good news the physio isn't to worried.
    10 miles with strides today, not sure whether to parkrun Saturday or just do an easy run.
  • Options
    Steve...That's a big weekend. Nice strides.

BH...Hope the taper sorts it out for you, good news the physio isn't too worried,

Spoons...good final session and sharpener. Looking good for Berlin, cotton wool time is right.

John...I'll give Belfast a go and see how i get on, i wouldn't be able to help myself anyway, even if i tried to do it as a workout.  :D Class report, very enjoyable and again, just a super run and pb. Confidence is key.

Joe...Good to see you back and that you had a nice holiday. Really glad to see that you're getting support, hope it all improves quickly. On the fitness side of things, it'll not take you long to get back to where you where, and i wouldn't worry about the weight, nothing a hard week or two wont shift.

TR...Big, big week, all the best for the 1/2. Have you times in mind for it?

7 mile recovery for me this morning, followed up by booking my flights for the London Marathon, as easyjet so kindly emailed me to say they'd released their new Spring/Summer schedule this morning as i got back from my run, meaning i got them for next to nothing. Good morning all round  :D 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done John, well executed. You must have hung tough to be one of only a few that kept with the pacers in sight.

Hamo - nice, good to be all booked in. Solent 1/2 is not Gosport fast but is decent. Did 1.25.1X last yr. Not sure i can repeat my 3mins quicker than last yr i recently did at Harting 10 and IoW 1/2, but some sign of sub3 readiness woyld be good. Always tricky to predict without a taper. I did 1.25.4X at fleet 4 weeks before Brighton when i though id be lots quicker, although to be fair life issues were starting to peak then.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Macca: fantastic report. What an incredible race - makes me want to do it even more now after reading your report. The sausage and cheese alone sounds epic and the pics were amazing. I've watched those videos of the start over and over again and that music is spine tingling. Sounds like the altitude really did have an impact although you seemed to manage it really well and come through the other side.
    John: fantastic report and massive PB - well done! Interesting that you totally crushed it without following a strict plan. Maybe the lack of pressure helped. Good luck for NYC.
    TR: you are going really well and knocking out some incredibly high and consistent mileage
    Joe: good to see you back. Take it easy buddy and look after yourself. The pics in Croatia look awesome
    Spoons: super 10km and glad to see you are winding down for Berlin - stay safe and avoid wasps and kerbstones!
    I had a bit of a false start last week as the lurgy returned at the weekend with a chest infection. I'm now over it fingers crossed and hopefully I'll get a few decent weeks in before the Autumn 100 which is now close being only 3 and a bit weeks away.
    Still working on the 400m technical interval sessions which my coach has given me. Definitely feeling like my body is beginning to adjust to it and feeling more natural.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - Great report. Sounds a very well run race. Hope you're still basking in the marathon PB glow. Like your attitude to training too. You've trained consistently over the years and now you're reaping the benefits. I think varying training stimulus can have a surprisingly big effect too, especially if you've been doing the same thing for a while.

Joe - Croatia looked great from your Strava feed, especially that trail marathon. Cracking stuff. Maybe we should have a fat guy challenge, weekly weigh in, see who can get back to fighting weight the quickest ....... actually that doesn't sound like a healthy idea. I think you'd probably win anyway, I'm about 17 pounds over now, and gaining. Good plan for IM Wales
  • Options
    TR...i agree, always hard to predict when you're training through a race without a taper, but i reckon you'll be here on Monday talking of smashing a sub 3 ready sign time and a big confidence boost. All the very best for it.

AWC...Sorry to hear about the chest infection, glad its cleared up now. Good news that you are adapting to the technical stuff.

6M recovery this morning
  • Options

Croatia looked amazing on Strava Joe. Glad to hear you are getting the support you need. Be patient and I’m sure you’ll be back to fitness soon enough. Remember how quickly things turned around earlier this year for you.

Good luck for Sunday TR.

Fantastic report John, it’s got me really excited for my own marathon. Congratulations again on the massive PB, superb work.

Good luck at parkrun if you opt to do it Steve.

Nice work getting flights sorted early Hamo, I made the mistake of leaving Berlin a bit late. It ended up being cheaper to stay for two more days than fly when I originally wanted to. Every cloud!

Good to hear you’re over the lurgy AWC.

I’m now in that weird purgatory where I feel like I’m barely running/training but the marathon still feels quite distant. Getting quite paranoid about getting ill… this morning on the way to a client meeting I changed seats on the train 3 times to avoid people who were coughing/sneezing :D 

I did another post-run sauna yesterday in a bid to be prepared for any warmer weather. Forecast is creeping down slowly but looking a bit breezy. Plenty of time for it to change, so trying not to obsess too much about it :D I was expecting to have had “taper legs” in at least one run by now, when they feel wooden and rubbish, but so far so good. :+1:

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - good news on feeling healthier.

Hamo - ha ha, we'll see.

Spoons - maybe the taper legs arnt apered enough yet.

My legs are most confused as i only did 5m again today. Going to be a wet and windy affair Sunday.
  • Options

A busy week at work, not much time to catch up on the forum until today.

Hope the eye sting is now ok, spoons? Very strange coming straight after we were discussing mine. 

Haha hamo, a couple of keen HMP miles don’t seem to do you any harm . Good luck tomorrow and enjoy.

You might feel you’ve hit rock bottom fitness wise, Joe, but you are off the back of a tough off road marathon. I always feel a bit rubbish after time off following a race, especially when i put some weight on. You’ve got such an incredible base of fitness, which, when combined with two more autumn marathons, could enable you to have a brilliant Spring race/build up to Tenby. 

You’re going well TR, good luck tomorrow. 

JohnOz, couldn’t agree more that if you are feeling good, it is worth going for it in a race. I tend to find that’s how breakthrough performances come about for me. Hell of a few months you’ve had, especially of an injury disrupted start to the year. Two pacers to two runners is pretty good provision! I’ve never seen 2:50 pacers in a race, to my frustration. 

10M easy on the canal on Tuesday, having to use someone’s bike to shield myself from feisty swans. 

13M on Wednesday including 2 x 2M at tempo (just over 6m/m) with 5 minute jogs, then 3 x 400m in 1:28. 

Double recovery Thursday, then another workout yesterday late afternoon. 13.4M including 3 x 2M at rough MP effort, then 6 x short hill sprints. Really enjoying the racecourse laps at tempo/MP effort, although didn’t have much in the legs for the hill sprints. Have sacrificed a couple of miles here and there for further squats, deadlifts, lunges, cleans etc in the gym. 

parkbuggyrun this morning, except my daughter refused to go in the buggy. I hope this is not the beginning of the end, I love our chats and bonding time on a Saturday morning. 

• Options
    John - really enjoyed the report, especially the back story.  I don't know how you resisted looking at your watch at the end.  I hope you're not a full time athlete for too long, unless thats what you want.  I've been told that marathon adaptations can take 5 years of training to take effect, ties in with my journey and possibly yours ?  Anyway, what a great position to be in, smash your PB out of the park then you've got New York lined up. Is that 3 of 5 for the majors ?

Joe - you dip in as and when you feel like.  You would love Chamonix and I'm sure Chamonix would love you, especially if you finished the UTMB in your swim shorts.  I dont think you would need any help transitioning to ultras with your endurance background but if there is anything I can do, just shout.

TR good luck with the half today, fingers crossed the weather is reasonable.  Your running pedigree is, as I had my suspicions, very impressive.

Hamo - all the best for your half too.

AWC - thanks, I think you'd love the whole experience of UTMB too.  Good luck with the ballot. You'll have the base, experience and confidence from SDW & NDW  so wont need to do too much before A100.

SQ - well done on registering some sessions without a goal race in mind.  Hopefully theres a few more park buggy runs to enjoy, theres been a few displays of wilfulness this end too.

BH - hopefully the taper works its magic.

RSR - good luck with the germ avoidance, I reckon the taper is working its magic on your legs as I type.

Steve - hope the PR went well yesterday.

Up to 69miles for the week and in calorie deficit so shouldnt be surprised to find things are starting to feel a bit of an effort but in a good way.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - youre still going well.

Macca - good to see you getting the miles back up.

2m, solent 1/2, 3m for me. Intended to do 5m wd but my legs were shot. If i need to practice warming up and standing on the start line in the pissing rain for Abo then im good to go. Plenty of splashing through puddles in the race too.
    Couldnt match my recent run of 3 mins quicker than last yr, but managed around 2m 30something.
    Started off 6.20ish and thought ok thats 1.23, but got going a bit better and had a sniff of scraping under 1.22 at one point, i felt strong but my legs started wrapping it in by 10m, and were a bit wobbly in the last mile. Hung on for 1.22.3X. A better course like Gosport would be 60 to 90sec quicker, so with a taper im heading back to 80min ish. After lots of personal worse performances in the last 2 years im actually starting to improve a bit. Wasnt able to really push but i guess thats all the miles, and i knew that in advance, plus side should be a quick recovery. Kind of wished i was a bit fresher so i could have gone faster but Abo is the priority.
    Double it and add 10 mins for Abo?

Nice to see Mills a few times today, it took him a moment to twig who i was.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Great run TR, after the miles you've been putting in that is a fantastic time. 2:55 is definitely on and with your running history and strong training block the potential to go even faster. If you're feeling good in the days leading up, then it would be worth giving it a go.

Macca - amazing that you are already back up to 69 miles. Yes you're right, my first HM was 2013 and first marathon in 2015, hopefully a few more years of improving still to go! Interesting that rather than gradual improvement this year has been a significant step up, I put that down partly to the physical side but definitely I was much more confident about going into unchartered waters. Also yes I will have done Boston, London and NYC and hoping to tick off Berlin next year if I can convince the OH. Not sure how long it will take to get into Tokyo, I've missed out 4 years in a row now. Maybe I should have looked at my watch at 40k however I've run all my PBs this year without looking at my watch. I've enjoyed not chasing times and a few seconds here don't matter as long as Ive enjoyed the whole buildup and race (although I'm sure it will come back to bite me at some point when I miss out on a meaningful target!)

SQ - it's common to have 2:50 pacers in the larger Australian marathons, they have been in all the ones I've done. Maybe you should start sowing the seeds for your next family holiday over here... they certainly made a huge difference for me, I was just able to focus on running. What's next for you?
  • Options
    Spoons...ah the joys of a taper  :D 

TR...Excellent half, really well done. Must be a big confidence boost for Abo? Rapid.

SQ...Good work over the week, some more than decent sessions in there. Junior parkrun on a Sunday is where its at, if the buggy running does end,

Macca...69 miles is a big week, fair play to you getting back at it so soon.

4 mile with strides on Saturday morning for me, as a last run before the Belfast half on Sunday. Wasn't sure how the 1/2 would go, as i just wasn't 'feeling it' and wanting to hurt during the week, but as always happens, when a number is pinned on the mindset magically clicks into gear. Decided to set out hard and see where it got me, delighted with a new pb of 1.12.43 and 7th place overall in a fairly stacked field. So cant complain one bit.

• Options
    Macca - Big week for you!
    TR - Smashed it with all the miles in your legs and no taper. Looking good for marathon!
    SQ - Good week there! Hopefully the buggy runs are still on!
    The Mrs had an exam for the PT course she is doing, so dropped her at the gym then did a few miles to the nearest parkrun, which I haven't done before. Got to the start a few minutes before the start and lined up at the front as I knew it was a smaller field than my usual. Wasn't sure what I was going to run, so went out with the lead pack which was 4 of us! Wasn't sure of the route so just ran with them, around 2 miles the front 2 got a gap on me but I decided to keep it steady so let them go, I didn't realise 4th had dropped back quite a bit so I was solo from then on, but could always see the front 2. Anyway finished in 19:13, 11 seconds behind 2nd and 16 seconds behind first....damn should have pushed a bit harder! Anyway, then did a long cool down to bring up 11 miles for the day. 3 mile recover trot on Sunday in my new present....Next%!!