Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: thats a super time to finsih off the year. Glad to see you've got your mojo back!
    DCT: great performance as well. Must have taken some metal strength to keep going like that!
    Hamo: well done on the PB - thats a deep field with your time 'only' coming 36th! And well done on the prize money
    Millsy: glad you went for the A100. I think you'll love the course and I can see you going fast on a decent day weather wise on that course
    Quick update on the shoe saga: 5 Vaporfly's, 2 Zoom Fly's,1xPegasus 35 and 1Pegasus 35 Turbo ordered 7 returned :)
    I went for some Zoom Fly's for £78 as I didn't like the prospect of trying to run a marathon in the 4%'s and never having run in anything like that. Both of them feel weird to even walk in. I stood on my tip toes to reach a light socket in the Zoom Fly's last night and I couldn't do it as they kept pushing me forward :D
    Gonna go for a run in the Zoom Fly's now and see how they feel.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great work Joe and dct in Valencia. Solid times all things considered. Sounds like you both really pushed hard to get it done. Great stuff.

Hamo - Super fast 10k there. Well done. Certainly a deep field. Backing up with a 20 miler is great going. Looking good for a fast marathon in Spring.

AWC - Good work on the Nikes. Did you send back both Pegs? Didn't like them?

Got out for an MLR yesterday and felt the best I have in ages, one of those impromptu progression runs. 15 miles took me to 56 for the week, which is great for me. Just easy 4 with strides at lunch today.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Top performance Joe: nicely squeaked inside the target thanks to some mental determination. Great time off basically zero taper too.
    dct sounds like a faster version of my marathons though with less of a fade tbh.
    Hamo - that's an insanely fast 10K. Can't believe how far you've come this year & apparently still improving too.
    SQ nice 5K time. I heard the course was quite crowded & twisty too.
    Parkrun went OK. Fancied a walk round the waterfalls in the Brecon Beacons after so went to Merthyr which I've done 4 times before. It's a 2 lap course along the Taff Trail. It's pretty undulating & with 5 dead turns to boot certainly not a PB course. I managed 21:12 there just 6 weeks ago but after a few weeks of consistent training I was hoping to be closer to 20 - my course PB is 19:51. Set off & was sitting in 4th after 100m. Went through 1K in 3:59, 2K in 3:56 but a 4:04 & then a 4:07 left me just adrift. I'd moved in to 3rd with 1500m to go so a final K of 3:58 to cross the line in 20:07 for 3rd just 2s off 2nd place.  A 2M wu & 3M cd gave me 8 for the day & I backed that up with a steady 13.1 round the FoD fire trails to bring up 71 for the week.
    5M at lunch today keeps up the momentum.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    2 well toughed out maras there from joe and dct, nice to see joe going well again.

Hamo - brilliant racing. 55 sec pb over 10k is massive. Like jools said you are flying.

AWC - thats a lot of shoes to return. I thought youd keep 2 or 3 pairs.

Nice one HA

Jools - good to see you ramping it up again.

mlr monday, so 13 very cold miles tonight. I used to like the summer mlr mondays!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: I’ve kept 1 4% and 1 Zoom Fly. I ordered 9 and 9.5 of each shoe 

HA: I found the Pegs weren’t a great fit. They seemed tighter than the Valorflys and I’m used to running in Altras which are super wide. Plan is to mostly train in Altras, speed work in the Zoom Flys and race in the 4%

Did 400m Intervals in the Zoom Flys today. Really weird going from zero drop foot shaped Altras to these things! Felt like I was on bouncy stilts but felt good after a few reps. Could really feel them tipping me forward and encouraging me to run faster. I think I’d struggle on long slow runs with these as they feel dead when you try and go slow but push you forward when going fast
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Awc - oh i see, i thought you only kept the zoom fly. The zoom fly are the later version of the fly flyknit ? I bought a pair of the flyknit recently for 60ish, they are the training version of the 4%.

Nike homoured the cheaper one of my cancelled orders, so i hopefully have a pair of 4% on the way for the agreed £125.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    AWC....you are keeping the Royal Mail going single-handedly :D Nice reps, glad you like the Zoom flys. I'd imagine there is some difference between the Altras and the zooms alright.

HA77...Class progressive MLR, nice when you instinctively run it like that rather than plan it.

Jools...Excellent parkrun, time and position, well done. 71 is another big week, you're stringing them together nicely.

TR...Yea, there is a quare difference between summer and winter MLR and LRs, get used to being cold :D Brilliant, glad to hear that Nike have honoured your order.

8M easy this morning, with either a club reps session this evening, or a 4 mile recovery run (or a 0 if it all goes wrong) are the options for today for me, depending on how my man flu is progressing :flushed::D 
  • Options
    Joe/dct - Great results at Valencia.
    Macca - Superb result at WW50.
    Millsy / TR - Great racing, superb HM times.
    Jools - Yuck....didn't need to see your toe!!
    For those asking I did about 600 miles in my last pair of Zoom fly. Brought another pair of zoom fly flyknit and pegasus 34 for the nike outlet on black friday, so that'll see me good for the first half of next year.

Only been doing some easy runs, but felt a bit ill the other week, so missed 2 runs (Thurs/Sat), but last week got back into it, albeit with higher HR than usual for 40+ miles.
    First day of marathon training today, so 9 miles with 4 at LT pace (6:25/6:24/6:27/6:40). Pace slipped on last mile, but not bad and gives me a starting point.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: glad Nike honoured the cheaper 4%
    Steve: great to be back at the LTs!
    Hamo: hope the man flu clears up
    Weather is looking pretty good for the marathon at the weekend. Just a few recovery runs this week to keep the legs ticking over now
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Quick Question to those with the 3rd edition of P&D - do the LT runs stay the same as complete blocks of 4-7mi or do they change them to the Faster Road Racing split LT intervals? Just planning my P&D schedule for the Spring Marathon. Thanks!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hano - hope the man flu clears off quuckly.

Steve - nice one on the LT. I did that last week and struggled to run quickish. Its the effort that counts early on.

AWC - i have edition 3. LT runs are still one chunk of 4 to 7m. Its more marathon specific ( i seem to remember as being the explanation).

9m inc 10x strides for me this morning.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks TR
    Its probably time for the Spring thread with all these new Vaporflys about.....
    :)
  • Options

Evening all.

Have your Nikes arrived, TR? Both mine came today, so fingers crossed for you. 

Joe, that’s brilliant. Really made up for you. It is a great achievement in itself, but also, what a platform to build from. Hope you enjoyed the well-deserved beers.

Very impressive time off that training, dct. I’m hoping I can pull some of that magic for London!

What a 10k, hamo! You really are having a stellar year. Fantastic on the prize as well - well deserved. Enjoy the night. 

You’ll be playing havoc with their balance sheet, AWC. Enjoy the new kicks. 

Some good longer runs and sessions from you, HA. I think you might trouble a (very) fast time in London yet. 

Cracking week, Jools. The fires are burning again. Look forward to some more crazy weekend stories. 

I saw you, and a couple of others (Macca, I think), had begun P&D today - with the lovely introduction of a LT run. Good start.

Read this (https://www.si.com/track-and-field/2019/11/15/puma-shoe-upended-1968-olympics) from the Morning Shakeout newsletter. Interesting story. I hadn’t realised about the formation of Puma and Adidas. Funny also how corrupt Olympic officials were back in the day. Oh, hang on...

After Friday lunchtime’s 5k race, I had a free gym pass before getting the train home. As that was the only day of quality that week, I did a progressive 5M on the treadmill. I’ve never done two sessions in a day before, and perhaps unsurprisingly, it ruined me! Easy running only Saturday and Sunday, before a hangover induced zero yesterday. 

This morning I did 10M with 10 x 400 efforts, 400 recoveries. 1:29-1:30, so very unspectacular, but solid enough. I wore my new Zoom Pegasus 35. They seem like a good all round shoe. Not especially fast, but good cushioning, wide toe box and light. Late at school tonight, so 5M recovery and a few squats and deadlifts. The rest of the week will be 5M max a day, in advance of Telford. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    SQ - not surprised you were ruined, thats a tough day. Peg 35s seem to be a good all rounder, very hardwearing too. I have a pair im about to retire after around 700m......thought id try a pair seeing as i had a pair of the first Pegasus (a few years ago)........both my orders were cancelled by Nikes system, i got them to honour the cheapest and a pair of 4% are apparantly on their way. We'll see.
  • Options
    SQ - Sounds like a tough day!
    TR - Nice 9 miles, what sort of mileage are you aiming for, as you were already quite high for Abo?
    5 miles run commute to work today (after a kettle bell workout at home), then another 5 miles to get home later, which will be strange for me as I haven't run after work for years.
  • Options
    Steve...Nice LT run, good effort. Glad the illness has passed.

AWC...Hope the weather stays good for you. All the best for the weekend.

TR...Good strides.

SQ...2 sessions in one day would kill me, fair play to you. Nice efforts, and all the very best for Telford.

13M MLR ran at an easy enough pace this morning, not pushing anything til the man flu clears off properly.
  • Options

Too much to go back over since my last post, but congratulations to AWC on opening his new shoe shop :D Some standout performances from Macca, Joe, DCT and Hamo. And plenty of other great running from everyone else.

After finally starting to feel like things were beginning to click a few weeks ago, things quickly fell apart after I tweaked my hamstring playing “jump” with my younger nephew. Nothing major and a couple of rest days sorted it, but I then promptly caught a sickness bug my nephews had. I didn’t get the vomitting symptoms thankfully, but it did totally wipe me out, and I spent about 36 hours mostly sleeping. Can’t remember the last time I was so affected by an illness!

Easing back in to things now, but not exactly the run up to Telford 10K I had hoped for. Better now than just before London though I guess!? I couldn’t resist entering Valencia after seeing the below breakdown of how deep the field is, which Brady from Inside Running tweeted. I’ve half a mind to concentrate on HM and below over the winter, not focusing so much on London, and then build off that for Valencia. But for now I’m just going to build up the mileage over December and see how things go.

• Options
    Spoons - the depth at Valencia is utterly ridiculous, especially when you look at the total number of finishers. It's good as you've always got people to run with, even towards the front of the race. The only negative, I was genuinely having to weave in the last 10km as I was holding pace which was seeing me overtake people - which it's quite hard in the closing stages when you're pretty spent! But it's an awesome race, I've already signed up for next year, will be my 4th year in a row. Hope the illness is completely gone - like you said, not the worst time to get it.

Hamo - outstanding 10km, fully deserved series prize, you've had an incredible year.

SQ - thanks for sharing the article, will check that out at lunch. 2 sessions in a day is hard work!

Just recovering from valencia, still a bit sore and tight, haven't run yet, got it in the schedule for tomorrow. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Spoons -  noted the valencia times on p of 10, esp all the sub 245 brits.

Steve - i was around 80mpw for Abo, not sure how this will play out as im not doing doubles just the main P snd D run for the day. Apart from the odd mile on the main session the main diff between 70 to 85 and 85+ is the doubles. Today would either be 6 or 6+5 depending upon which plan, i did 9 as i had the time and energy. After hard days ill just do the minimum.

9m easy today.
  • Options
    TR - thought I might be the last member of that search - turns out there were another 2 behind me!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - i knew yr result already as you were one of a few i tracked. The amount of fast brits that went there was a surprise. Not sure if it was a quicker than normal day or it was par. Loads of folks seem to have pb'd. I wonder how much is down to the pink and green shoes?
  • Options
    Spoons...glad to see you back, sorry to hear you've been ill though. That is a very interesting breakdown, i must admit Valencia has been one i've looked at for a while, and that's intrigued me more.

Joe...Take your time and recover well Then you can use that blistering mara time to really push you on in the new year.

TR...Nice easy running. Any sign of the magic shoes yet?

10M easy-ish this morning. Was meant to be a 6 & 4 recovery day, but Santa needs me this evening, so that went out the window. 
  • Options
    Spoons - that's interesting....the depth is amazing!!
    Hamo / TR - Nice miles.
    11 miles this morning, really bad fog, couldn't see anything past a few feet in front of me for a few miles!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hamo - sounds like my doubles as a single. The shoes arrived today, at last !

Steve - fog is a change from the recent icy running !

13m for me today.
  • Options
    Steve...Nice miles, i strangely like running in the fog (up to a point of course)

TR...Happy days, what do you make of them? I'm guessing you haven't tried them out yet? Good MLR.

8 mile recovery this morning for me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - tried them on, they are wider than my fly flyknits which is good. Put them away until the new year and my next race.

7 wet and windy miles done.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Fantastic runs Joe and dct, solid performances to set you up for Spring. Sounds like Valencia is the new Berlin. Wonder if Kipchoge could go sub 2:01 there? 

SQ- Enjoy the Peg 35s, they have nice cushioning and seem to last ages. 

Spoons - unlucky time to get sick, good to get it all out of the way this year though and am sure next year you’ll be knocking out PBs again. 

Hamo - well done on another top performance, any more you can cram in before the EOY?

Steve - great to see you back in mara training, all that HM fitness is a great starting point. 

Bushfires still burning around here and the smoke haze has been terrible. Air quality warnings almost every day and the one time I tried a session it left me wheezing for a few days after. There are reports that it’s equivalent to smoking 30 cigarettes a day and the sun has been constantly orange/red the last month. Some runners have started using face masks but they’re not supposed to be much use. Have resorted to lots of treadmill running and hasn’t been as bad as i thought given the alternative. 

Managed a couple of harder runs this week, 8x650m loop around 3:30/km pace and 30 mins on the treadmill at 3:45 pace, although I’m sure it needs calibrating as it certainly didn’t feel like my 10k PB pace. Hopefully get out for a LR tomorrow if the smoke clears. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey, whether or not its too smokey to run isnt on my list of pre run varables.

P and D said 17 inc 8mp, i did 8mp last week so thought id try to up it a bit if i had the beans, ended up with an even paced 10 av 6.29 within 18. Proper running through treacle last mile of the 10

76 for the week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    9m easy.

Hope it wasnt too windy for Telford 10k this morning, it was windy here.
  • Options
    That sounds pretty horrendous tbh John.
    Was breezy at Telford & my legs were still in bed after Parkrun/XC combo yesterday. It was never going to be much to write about hence giving it zero thought during the week. My only concession was making my reps for Thursday’s track session slightly easier paced & only putting 90-95% effort in on XC. I was never going to count for the team (only the 2nd time in 6 seasons as captain) as our club champs is being hotly contested this year so the top 3 all turned out for the bonus points as well as my usual stalwarts. Parkrun went well & is my fastest time in over 7 months on a course which has several hairpin turns which are my Achilles heel. I was equally placed in the XC as last month but for less effort & closer to rivals ahead/further ahead of those chasing in spite of not giving it full beans. My racing weekend came unstuck today though. Knowing I wasn’t going to beat 40 put my head in the wrong place before the gun & I ran hard through the first lap rather than racing flat out then my guts revolted around 6K so I had to ease back to 7:15-20 pace for a couple of K till it eased & I was able to push on between 8K & 6M when I nearly lost my dignity. 🤣
    Met SQ en route & he chauffeured us up in good time. He & Spoons were in wave 1, whilst I’d opted for wave 2 fortunately. I’ll let them recount their races.
    Enjoying a 🍺 after dinner now.😎