Tokyo Marathon 2020



  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm definitely planning a parkrun - are you? Could always meet for a coffee or something afterwards if we end up at the same one! I had Futakotamagawa on my list, but now I see there is also Hikarigaoka, literally starting on Sat 29 Feb - in theory, it might be fun to do the first ever parkrun there, but maybe it's a risk in case for whatever reason it doesn't go ahead - looks as if Futakotamagawa is closer on the metro from my hotel too.
  • I had the same thought, Gipfel. It would deffo be nice to have company for the parkrun - I think my friend is planning to do something else (she doesn't run). You're staying in Shinjuku aren't you? (I am).
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Cal, this is bad news: after what I hoped was just coronavirus scaremongering and false rumours over the last day or so, the marathon is officially cancelled!!

    On the plus side, they're offering deferrals to next year, as long as we pay the entry fee again. I reckon I will go ahead with the deferral, as I feel very emotionally invested in this race now! Given that, although I was considering whether to still go ahead with the trip this year too, I think I won't go and just hope for better luck next year. My flight is totally non-refundable, which is a bit painful, but I have a few days still to cancel my hotel without paying anything, and I've not booked anything else while I'm there. What do you think you'll do? I'm guessing it's a bit more of a difficult decision for you, given that you're going with a friend.

    Gutted! Can't believe how much time I've spent stressing/obsessing about my ankle just for this to happen anyway :s
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi Gipfel, my travel agent was talking about Japan this morning. She thinks, as it is cancelled due to coronavirus that you should be able to have a full refund through insurance. I thought of you and Cal when the news hit my feed this morning, really feel for you.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Thanks, TT, that's interesting to hear. As far as I can tell from my insurance, it wouldn't pay out for this situation, but I'm going to contact them to double check anyway, as it's not 100% clear. If the answer is no, I'll continue reminding myself that I went for the cheapest possible flight and saved a fair bit of money anyway over one that would have been more flexible! I'm just glad that I went for a hotel that could be cancelled until 8 days before check-in - definitely always worth doing this, considering there are usually many such options available, often on good-value hotels too.

    What a stress, in any case! I guess it's always a hazard of booking to go to far-flung races (not that I've travelled any further than Spain or Italy for a race before)...
  • Gipfel - I've cancelled. I'd paid for the hotel but they will refund. Like you, the I had a non-refundable flight but I got it through Expedia and got the insurance with it, so hopefully I'll get it back (otherwise, what was the point of the insurance?)
    I'm not sure about the deferral yet - this was an expensive race when I'm on a low income, and it's been stressful enough to organise let alone cancel. I'll have to give it some thought.
Sign In or Register to comment.