Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Great long run and congrats on the Sparta place!!
    Jools - Nice parkrun pace. Awesome miles too!
    TR - Nice tempo.
    Hamo - Nice 8 miler.
    John - Sorry to hear that Canberra is also off!
    Cal - Not a great week, but chin up.

So Manchester was postponed on Friday, but I still went out to do my training like the rest of you!! 23 miles on Saturday, felt good and was tempted to carry on to marathon distance, but decided against it. 8 miles with strides on Sunday followed by kettlebells. That finished off a 69 mile week. My right shin and back of my knee was sore on Sunday, so I think taper has started at just the right time!!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Spartathlon place Macca. 

Welcome back FBT

Comrades is looking more doubtful by the day. Now a travel ban on entering SA until Easter, at the earliest. Hopefully if it`s still not possible to fly there BA will cancel the flights rather than the customer. Al my other races have now been cancelled or postponed until the autumn so some decisions to be made at some point as would be foolish to do them all in such a short period.

Hoping we will still be able to get out and run solo for the foreseeable, but think I`ll cut back my planned 80+ mile weeks and aim to tick over at 50-60 until the future is a bit clearer. Have also cancelled seeing my parents over Easter as my Dad is currently undergoing cancer treatment and my Mum`s OH has lung issues.
    Stay safe  everyone
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    FBT...Glad to hear from you, shame its in these circumstances. You seem to have been running well in the background anyway.

TR...That's it, i like to think im healthy enough to not be too badly affected by it, but its the people in my close family who i am concerned about and wouldnt like to spread anything to them. Good tempo run, you really seem to excel at them.

AWC...There is most definitely dicks in cars. Hope your Achilles improves, nice cycling all the same.

John...Nice MLR. Yea the majors will come thick and fast in the Autumn, it will be interesting if nothing else.

Cal...You are having a rough time of it, keep the head up. Hope the back continues to improve, nice 8 miler, and the dentist can sort you for a fair price.

Macca...Good LR. Im mulling over finishing the plan (when Belfast finally officially pulls the plug, pretty sure id not race it even if it did go ahead though) with a full solo marathon, but dont know. Congrats on the Spartathlon, excellent news.

Jools...Big week, and quick parkrun, nice sub 20, well done.

So after London announced on Friday evening that they were postponing al our local races that were hanging on by their fingernails let go and postponed and cancelled. So Sundays race was a no go. I went to bed on Friday unsure what to do running wise, but when i woke up on Saturday morning I decided to give the parkrun a good crack and at least get 1 'race' out of this training block. So a quicker than ideal 'warm up' run down to the parkrun, 4.5 miles @ 6.40 pace, got me to the start with 2 mins to spare. I ran it full tilt, but still was shocked to see 15.51 on my watch at the finish, never seen a sub 16 coming at all. That was good enough for 1st, and a write up/mention on the Fast Running website, for being the 2nd quickest man in Ireland* at the parkrun at the weekend (*Just Northern Ireland really, as all mass events down south are banned at the minute and so no parkruns were ran). The most pleasing thing about it all was my splits, 5.05, 5.06, 5.07 and 4.34 for the change (Strava GAP thing has it as 5.04, 5.03, 5.02 and 4.33 as its a bit of a bumpy route), im never that consistent, usually balls out at the start and die/hang on at the end. 

8 very hungover miles on Sunday brought me to 89 for the week. 

Double recovery day today, 2 6's to start of this week. 
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Cross Posts there,

Steve...Nice long run and big week. Hope the taper works for your shin and knee. 

Millsy..Yea, some decisions to be made alright. Hope your family stays safe, sensible, right but i'm sure hard decision you've made.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Macca - congrats on getting in, heard it’s a brutal race with hard cutoffs but just the sort of challenge that would suit you. Well done on finishing the block with a big LR. 

Steve - likewise great LR, at least you got a couple of big PBs from the last few months.

Hamo - fantastic run as always, real shame for you that you won’t get to prove your potential just yet but only a matter of time. Keep the consistency and I think we’ll see something special in the Autumn. 

Millsy - sorry to hear Comrades not looking good, With Two Oceans being cancelled it only looks like a matter of time, hope you manage to get your money back. I’m the same as you with winding down the mileage and taking it easier until I can see Races being held again. 

Came across this article as the best one I’ve seen on the virus and it’s impact on running. A superb general explanation of it as well. Biggest takeaway was that hard training or racing weakens the body’s immune system and makes you more vulnerable to catching it and having worse symptoms than otherwise. Another reason for me to back off on the intensity and worth noting for anyone still wanting to find a race in the next few months. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you Hamo, awesome progression and still going.

I cant see any races going on for a few months after today's prime minister's address. Seems kind of unimportant anyway. Time to enjoy being outside whilst we can.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Just WOW Hamo: 15:51 5K during peak marathon training is something special. What could you do if you did some specific 5K focused training & peaking? Just checked Daniels' VDOT calculator - that's a 2:32 marathon equivalent so right on track
    Just the 10M bike/10M run commuting combo for me today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hamo - nice write up on twitter, proud to have you as my virtual mlr training partner.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hamo that's fantastic. I'm gutted for you that there are no marathons for you to capitalise on that fitness but a lot of us are in a similar situation.

10 miles this morning -  lovely sunny but cool Spring weather again. I'm praying they don't ban us from going outdoors at any point. The SI joint seems a lot better (I was worried marshalling at TR 20 would aggravate it, but I think all the stretching I did while standing around may well have helped) and I managed to get an appointment with the dentist yesterday so my crown is back where it should be.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    John...Good article, cheers for sharing it.

TR...100%, time to just run for the enjoyment, and appreciate that we can. Thank you, and vice versa, its nice to know that there's someone doing the same runs for the same goals as me...same again starting around June time? :lol:

Jools...Cheers Jools, it gives me a time to aim for when the training starts again. Nice bike and run combo.

10 mile with 8 strides this morning, eerily quiet on the roads, but probably not helped by the fact it is Paddys day and so most people are off.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Cal...X post. Nice 10 miler, it is lovely weather here too. Glad to hear the tooth and SI Joint are looking up. Everyone is in the same boat, the fitness will keep, a lot more important things to be thinking of.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    John - Thanks for the link, I did wonder what to do mileage wise after this training block. Yeah, pleased I got a couple of PB's, proved that the training worked.
    Hamo - WOW, superb time in the middle of marathon training, it's a shame you won't be able to have a crack at 2:30 in London.
    Jools - Nice commute combo!

Shin/back of knee seems much better, so a 12 mile MLR today to kick off the first run of taper!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    12m last night, 7m inc strides this morning. Will keep on for now. No athletics of any kind until May at the earliest, so in theory North Dorset could still be on, esp if govt want folks to start moving around a bit more after the 3 weeks of restrictions are up. Seems a bit irrelevant at the mo anyway. I have a sreies of 10ks booked through june and july already, but id like to get more than 1 decent mara in for the year, if the world becomes more normal again in time.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Thought I’d jot down a few thoughts before reading the above. So apologies if I repeat anything that’s no doubt been said already. 
    These few like very strange times. My wife certainly, and me to an extent, are feeling a great deal of anxiety through thinking about at risk loved ones, but also the absolute uncertainty of everything. Schools not closing has definitely compounded this. I’m now off for 14 days as my daughter had temperature and now a cough, and my being diabetic apparently raises risks. What I’m finding weird is how different everyone is reacting - from absolutely no change in daily business to full scale lock down. Nonetheless there has been some running!
    I have decided to just crack on with the plan As best possible as I am enjoying it. Obviously there will be no race at the end, but I think I will certainly run a solo marathon. Obviously it will be miles slower than a race, but I’m actually quite enthused by the idea. It’s almost like running goals and appreciation is being reset for me. And I’m excited by the prospect (hopefully) of London in the autumn. It will be unique and I do love training in summer months: firmer trails, generally less wind and probably a relatively cooler race. 
    Last week somehow ended at 72M. Yesterday morning I had the first of two 3 h runs, this was at only easy steady effort. Donned the NB1080s and clipped along at just under 7:30 pace for 24 glorious miles in the countryside. Podcasts for 2h then some 90s dance for the last hour. Definitely got into some flow at that point. 
    Staying away from school, social encounters etc began today and, brilliantly, mini SQ2 is now chunky enough to go for a buggy run, albeit in the posh slow one, not the actual running chariot. So a morning nap for 5M and an afternoon nap for another 5M. Happy days. Nothing more than 10m/m pace, but that is more than good enough for me. 

Hamo that really is outrageous. I suspected it could make the Fast Running cut as soon as I saw the time on Strava. You could have an outrageous summer of speed ahead. Just depends when you prioritise London. 
    Glad to hear the body is healing up, Cal. Agreed - not being able to go outside at all would be a game changer. I’d probably have to dig the turbo out the garage. 
    Hope the family are ok, Millsy. Can you FaceTime them with ease?
    Macca and Spartathlon are synonymous in my mind already. I’m off to find something on YouTube about it. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - i hope you all get well again soon. I feel your anxiety, with the internet there is an overload of coverage, and its easy to make yourself anxious. I have had to purposely look away and do other things. Its an unprecedented thing in our lifetimes and is a worry, but it will pass, and most folks will have minor symptoms, but i hear you on the risks, my dad will be in big trouble if he catches it. There is a storm coming, it will blow through, but what damage will it cause?
  • Options
    So when do we start an autumn thread, given there’s no such thing as a spring marathon this year?

Good work everyone cracking on with training despite all the cancellations. Obviously it’s nothing in the grand scheme of things, but must be frustrating nonetheless. Still, it brought FBT back to the thread, so every cloud! ;) 

Too much to go back over yet again, but huge congratulations Hamo on the sub-16. Incredible stuff, your progression since joining this thread is a real inspiration.

My return to running a few weeks ago was a bit of a disaster. Three miles felt ok, but hamstrings were not happy afterwards, almost felt like I was back to square one. So yet more time off it seems.

Up until now I’d been coping relatively well with not being able to run, but in the past week or so I’ve really been missing it. More on a mental health than physical health front to be honest. Like others have said, hard not to be anxious in these strange times, and running is always such a great head clearer. I’m going to try to at least get on the bike more, but it’s not the same as running.

My sister and her family are currently self-isolating as my youngest nephew had a fever and cough develop last week. Thankfully he seems to be getting better today, but it will be a long 14 days for them. 

Stay healthy everyone.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I feel for you spoons, I really do. But if there's a good time to be injured, this is it. Lots of time to work on strength and rehab, and you can still get out for a walk or do some stair climbing.

Well done to everyone who is currently getting out there. I am still cracking on - my ultra (end of June) has not been cancelled yet although I expect it will be, but if the race ban ends during the summer I want to be ready to jump into an alternative if possible. I am also aiming to run 2000 (or 2020) miles this year so still hoping I can manage that.
    To that end, today's offering was 9 miles with 3 at LT pace (or close enough - first was a little slow, last a little fast, middle one just right). I'm not great at judging the pace (especially as my Garmin is no help whatsoever) so I'd like to get more used to LT pace so once I can officially start training for the next marathon, whenever that is, I can give P&D a proper bash.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    SQ, my folks aren`t overly technical so a traditional landline will have to do. They are all very rescourseful.

had a good look at the calendar yesterday and "if" VLM goes ahead in October that leaves almost 30 weeks of training and possibly no tune up races.
    Will cut back the miles to 50-60 for the next few weeks until the picture gets a bit clearer as 70-85 is unsustainable, especially mentally, for me. Will try and get back in the gym (garage) a couple more times a week and work on any weaknesses.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Stay safe everyone.
    TR - As usual nice consistent miles.
    SQ - That's a big week, and superb long run.
    Millsy - Sounds like you have a good plan there with the reduced miles for a while.
    Spoons - Good to see you back.
    Cal - Nice run, will be interesting to see how much you can knock off your PB following a P&D plan, as I suspect you were already in PB shape for Tokyo.
    5 miles recovery with strides this morning followed by a kettlebell workout. 5 miles planned for later.
    Question - I'd planned to use the turbo for a couple of weeks after the marathon, but with no race, is this now necessary? Thinking I may just cut the mileage until I need to start a plan again, as like Millsy said, I don't think I can maintain 60-70 a week with no race in the diary.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...Glad your legs are feeling better, Nice MLR. I would cut the mileage and use the turbo to cross train, but i cant decide what to do myself for the best, so don't be taking my advice as gospel :flushed::lol:

TR...Good MLR and strides. I hope you get to race at least some of those 10k's and this doesn't last too long. But most importantly, i sincerely hope your Father can avoid this, and is fine. The news is just flat out at the minute, which can be very overwhelming at times i agree, which is where i find running helps.

SQ...Hope your Daughter and family are ok first and foremost. Big week that, well done on the LR, love a bit of 90's dance on some of my faster runs too :lol: Class that you can get the big fella out in the buggy for runs now, must be a lovely bonding time. All being well, plan is (at the minute), a few easier/reduced base building weeks, then just restart this plan end of May/Start of June for London...not planning to race much, even if there is some on, but that could change depending if the motivation comes.

Spoons...Thanks Spoons, and good to see you posting again. I really hope your Sister, Nephew and family are ok, and i am sure they will be. I agree, i'm enjoying running as a head clearer with no pressure at the minute. Hope you can get back at it soon, but enjoy the cycling in the meantime.

Cal...It is good to keep a goal like that, especially at the minute. Good LT work, its mentally tough to force yourself through sessions at the best of times, never mind when there is no race in sight. I reckon you'd do good things following a p&d plan.

Millsy...Good idea cutting back on the mileage. I'm debating it over and over at the minute myself, cant decide whether to finish this plan, then cut back. Finish the plan to the taper point, then cut back, or, as of this mornings thoughts, finish the plan this week and cut back. Dunno, cant seem to focus and pick the best one (if there even is a best option).

Anyway, I was out late last night, so this mornings planned MLR of 15 mile was never going to happen. Decided to swap Fridays 12 miler with 7@LT to this morning and see how i got on. Then, like most of the above brain fart, i changed my mind again about what i wanted to do/was best during the warm up, and thought I fancied a change, so ran 13 miles with 3x (2.5 mile at LT pace off 2.5 min 7-7.30 min mile recoveries). It was nice to do a new session, and it went well, the efforts per mile coming out at 5.22, 5.32, 2.42 / 5.24, 5.29, 2.41 / 5.22, 5.32, 2.50 (the last half mile was uphill). So pleased with it, and it is nice to have the freedom to swap it up and try new things with no pressure.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Spoons - hope you are able to get back to it soon.

Millsy - im hoping that as the restrictions drop we'll be able to race in july and august.

Hamo - good idea to do a few sessions that are off plan and a nice change.

Had a sore throat false alarm overnight due to snoring (apparantly!) caused by a bit of a cold, it came to nothing.

10m easy pace. Will keep ticking over.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening all. All feels a bit crazy, although sensible schools are shutting. Makes me appreciate the order, stability and home comforts that I take for granted. Will be fascinating to see what the next few days and weeks look like. Our daughter had a temperature again last night but full of beans again today. Didn’t leave the house/garden but (I) had great fun creating an assault course. Got completely absorbed and forgot about work for a while. 
    Hope your dad is ok, TR and you can speak regularly. Best to record your temperature given the brief symptoms. 
    Spoons, you’re right about the thread. I’m never starting it again! Good to hear from you and hope you can get back out running soon. Best wishes to your family. 
    Super attitude, Cal. I find the fact my Apple Watch is so poor at pace and distance judgement quite liberating. Although no doubt I will get a good Garmin again in the future once it can receive my blood sugar readings. 
    Millsy, you be stacked from the home gym in no time. 
    Steve - I think both the training and the race itself require recovery, albeit in different forms. I would say the acute muscle damage of a marathon race necessitates no running for a period of time (everyone different), whereas the training itself (and the race) necessitate a period of lower mileage. 
    hamo - love it. Out late so subbed it a LT Sufferfest! Good call breaking it up. 

Morning 6M buggy run averaging 9:45 pace, attempting a few single arm strides. The current model isn’t really up to anything faster, so hoping the wee chap fits into the legit running buggy soon. Then nipped our for a very quick 35 mins this afternoon including 3 x 8 mins tempo effort, off 2 min jogs. Maybe 6:25-30 for the efforts. Pleasing little session. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Anxious times indeed SQ. We were just doing CPD on using Google Classroom this afternoon as we're expected to stick to a normal timetable during wfh however that was before the decision had been announced & the cancellation of all exams.
    Sorry to hear you're still struggling with the hammy's Spoons but good to hear from you.
    More crazily speedy antics Hamo. Good to hear it's not just me makes up a session and then adjusts it as I'm warming up.
    Straight back to it then Steve :)
    Good luck with the 2020 goal Cal. Will that be your biggest annual mileage ever? Bodes well for a decent mara PB when racing resumes.
    Steady as a rock TR.
    I agree Millsy. I can do 70 consistently but 60ish is far more manageable. No point burning out before any racing can start again.
    I did another 10M run/10M bike commute yesterday & bashed out a 5M progression on the TM at lunch: started at 8:00 & got to 6:00 min/mile before winding down over the final 2K. 6:48 average & felt in control the whole time B)10M bike/10M run commute today & another canal 5M at lunch. I'm the fittest I've been for a long time - just a shame there'll be no racing for quite some time yet.  :'( 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Jools - you were tuning up nicely. I feel your frustration as im probably the fittest ive been since my comeback after injury. I had a team talk with myself when i was running today and told myself to keep at it, and dont let all my hard work tail off........Brighton update tonight, to be fair they have offered a sept place or fre  deferral to april, but that would be only a week before vlm. Im tenpted to do the autumn double with 2 wks between them, if brighton is too windy then i could do the vlm and abo double (with 2 wks between them), i could also fo the treble.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - My thoughts exactly, I'll probably not take a break, but just have a couple of lower weeks mileage, before building again, once I know of the date for Manchester!
    Jools - Nice commute double.
    Hamo - Speedy as usual!
    11 mile MLR today, legs needed a few miles to warm up before it felt easier!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. I'll be going for the Brighton 2021 option as I have a wedding to attend on the 20th.
    Another day of rain. Really didn't fancy getting soaked twice & soon I won't have the option of the treadmill so decided to drive in & do a 5K TT on it. Did 1K@8:00/1K@6:48/5K in 18:35/warm down for 3K - 10K in 42:10 all in. I know the TM is easier than real world running but further proof that I'm in decent nick. I stuck at 6:00 for the first 4K then ramped it up slightly over the final K.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    TR...Glad it came to nothing. Nice easy 10, and you are just right, no point in throwing the head now (as tempting as it might be) and letting all your hard work go to waste. Would you go flat out at both races if you where to do a double, or use one as a 'long run'? If i was you, I'd go balls out at all three and get a treble of pbs like :lol:

SQ...The assault course sounds class, bet you had fun. Hope your Daughters temp comes down soon, amazing how quickly they can bounce back. Good tempo effort, punchy wee session alright.

Jools...Lovely progression, even better that you felt in control the whole time. The fitness will stay, or not take long to get back, more to gain by ticking over and not burning yourself out as you say. That treadmill TT definitely proves you are in top nick at the minute.

Steve...Nice MLR. Have Manchester not released their new date yet?

Decided last night i'm going to finish this week following the plan, then from next week cut back to 70-80 mile weeks, mostly easy running but the odd session threw in when i feel like it, and restart the plan when the time comes. No point burning myself out, or leaving the wife stuck in the house alone with the kids doing double days and such, when she is now their teacher, keeper, mother etc all day every day, when at the minute I'm still at work...vast majority of my running is in the morning before the world wakes, and especially before my lazy hallions wake :lol:

6 and 5 recovery runs for today in glorious weather.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Hamo - Released just, the 11th October. But I'm away that weekend, getting married...so a deferral to 2021 it is then!
    Jools - Great TT on the TM, you defo are in shape for a quick time. Sub 3 I'd guess?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'll have to defer too as it clashes with Chicago, though there's no guarantee we'll be allowed to go to the US by then. I guess I can defer and then try to book another race if Chicago doesn't work out. Can't really cancel Chicago at this stage as I'd lose a lot of money, which I don't want after losing a grand on Tokyo.
    Meanwhile I'm hearing about a London lockdown and I really hope that doesn't mean we'll be forced indoors like the Spanish.
  • Options
    Just to add to the others Hamo, that was a cracking park run.  Iirc the 800m reps in the previous week or two pointed to something tasty.

Thoughts to anyone with increased anxiety during these times.  I’ve been wfh for 2 years now so day to day is not that different but the complete absorption of 24hr available news doesn’t feel healthy.

I expect I’ll join you Steve and Cal in deferring from Manchester (although refund is also an option).  An ultra followed by 3 maras in 20 days will only end in tears.