Options

The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Options
    I was out Saturday and Monday evenings, missed Sunday, far to rainy!

7.1 and 7.4 to add making 1345.9 still hoping to hit 1400 at the year end.

Races in the new year was mentioned a few posts back. I've the Sheffield HM held over from 2020 in March which I suspect won't go ahead as its a large city centre event, I've then got the Boston lincolnshire marathon in April which I'm guessing will be run, the organisers seen very determined to get the event on. 
  • Options
    TT, yes, I did nothing yesterday! 6 today - slow plod on tired legs.
    Harmander... :D

YTD: 1910
  • Options
    Donnie, you'll make it to 1400, plenty of time.
    Yup, couple of rest days...mostly due to rubbish weather...even for me.
    Nice 5 and a bit miles at lunchtime today.
    1466 miles. 
    146,850ft of up.
  • Options
    10 miles this morning - lovely weather apart from a strong breeze at times.

YTD: 1920
  • Options
    Donnie,

Just two marathons in two weeks to go - you will do it.

Cal, you only got three and a bit to get your target.

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    On 11th Dec. I mentioned being 'interested' in the David Goggins 4-4-48 challenge. Then I had two rest days. Come 08:00, Monday, 14th I wanted to test the challenge by running a few of the 4miles every 4 hours. Well, I kept going, and completed the 48 this morning. I wanted to find out what the difficulties would be....injury, fatigue, losing pace, etc...Starting with a 10 min/mile pace in mind I wondered what that would look like later in the challenge. Run #9 was 2 secs over and #10 was 28 secs over (probably due to adverse wind, and being overdressed for the mild conditions. Run #5 (a midnight run) was the fastest, with no attempt to run fast, in 37:38 (9:24/mile).
    The 48 miles were completed in 7h42:06, giving an average time of 39:20 (9:50/mile pace). I was quite fortunate with the weather; only getting caught in a couple of showers. Thankfully no injuries, and feeling good for a recovery run, tomorrow?  So, I'm adding 48 miles to my previous total of 2165'

YTD: 2213' .
  • Options
    Wow MrM2, well done! Phoenix do a 24 challenge where you run one mile on the hour every hour - I thought about it briefly but then decided no, since I always get sick or injured when I miss sleep. I guess you can at least get some naps in with that, but still very tough.
  • Options
    MrM2,  Fantastic effort. I am with Cal on this.

Congrats on the 2200
  • Options
    6.40 yesterday but back to 7.25 today.

YTD = 2283.92 miles
  • Options
    Mr MM: just checking, if run 1 starts at 8am, run 2 must begin at midday, run 3 at 4pm and so on up to run 12.

Assuming I've got it right, can you say a bit more about your tactics? Sleep, eating, showering etc. Looks an interesting and demanding challenge. Probably not one for me. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 that sounds amazing. 

Cold, but I have discovered running kit made of Marino wool, most of my hiking kit is, so I was delighted.

YTD: 1436.57
  • Options
    It was warm for me today, TT - even rolled my arm sleeves down!
    7 miles, recovery pace. Felt sluggish. Gorgeous weather, but the commons were full of dogs and small children so I constantly had to check my pace to avoid tripping over one. Good job I was intentionally going slowly then, eh?

YTD: 1927
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Yes, Donnie, you've got the picture. When I was thinking what it would be like to do the 4-4-48 I imagined writing down all the 48 hrs, with food, drink, kit, rest...all planned out. Well it didn't happen like that. We happened to have a couple of simple, packet meals (5mins in the microwave) and they came in handy. I snacked on Jaffa cakes, mince pies and nuts. I always have a drinks bottle available every day, usually with a Vit.C, and I added some sport drink to that; drinking on-demand. Then we have a flask of coffee that lasts most of the day. Didn't need to take anything with me on the runs. I had plenty of kit available, and always set off feeling comfortable...especially socks and underwear. I used the same pair of trainers for the 48'. It would have been good to rotate through 2 or 3 pairs but all my other trainers were unsuitable. I had a good rub down between runs but only bathed once(!) and slept better for it. Rest/sleep was the most difficult part, but you can get by for a couple of days without too much trouble.

Out this morning for a steady 8' 'recovery' run. Exactly 80 mins but feeling very sluggish. Surprised by rain, rewarded with rainbows; spectacular.

YTD: 2221' . 
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Evening all, and congrats, MrM2, on that challenge - it sounds extremely tough!

I didn't realise that I've not been on here for more than a month - it's good to see everyone still going strong. My most interesting run this week has been a 'progression run' getting gradually faster every 2 miles, which was surprisingly hard considering the paces didn't sound that quick - the last and fastest set was 15 secs per mile slower than marathon pace. I'm thinking I need to do more such runs - they might be beneficial for feeling stronger at the end of a race!

Well done to those closing in on, and exceeding, their yearly targets. I'm still aiming for 1500 miles this year - current YTD is 1459, so it should be possible bar any disasters!
  • Options
    MrM2, fantastic run...and a brilliant pace for it...huge kudos.

Wild wet and windy here in Wales, lots of flooding going on...hopefully everyone is ok.
    Last day working this year for me.
    1478 miles YTD 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gipfel; we've missed you. I love progression runs but they can be hard to get right. If I'm feeling strong I can go off too fast, and then I'm reluctant to slow down. And if I'm not feeling too good I'll struggle to get anywhere near mara. pace. Looking good for the 1500!
    Thanks Hobie; the winds are hitting the south coast as well...a couple of days of 40-50 mph !
    Hoping to stretch the legs again, tomorrow. (Should have listed bananas and porridge in the credits for the 48'.)
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you, Gipfel.
    I've seen footage from a friend who lives in Wales and it looks pretty awful there, Hobie.
    Major bummer for me as my half was cancelled last minute due to cases rising and us going into Tier 3. I was very down in the dumps after hearing that - not that I was PB shape but it just seemed like the last straw after a year of disappointments.
    Had a good gym session yesterday (managed to achieve my goal of bench pressing 50kg before Christmas - only three reps but I was playing it safe) so that put me in a better mood.
    Today, without the need for a short recovery run (since there's no race tomorrow) I did 7 miles with some MP surges towards the end. Rather enjoyed the faster bits as I've been holding back all week.

YTD: 1934
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    I took inspiration from you Gipfel and did a prog run, started at 30 secs slower than MP and ended at HM pace, very enjoyable in the wind!

Cal I am so sorry to hear that your race is cancelled, from those of us 'up here' in tier three, welcome. At least the gyms are open........

YTD: 1444.85
  • Options
    Mr MM: thanks for the 4 4 48 updates. Really enjoyed reading that. As Cal said, I'm never good with missed sleep. 

Didn't run Tuesdays or Wednesday but, spring in the step Thursday as it was my last working day before Christmas. 5.0 and then 8.2 to add making 1359.1
  • Options
    6.3 in the evening gloom. 

Ytd: 1365.4
  • Options
    Good morning everyone and great running all round, especially given the UK winter. 

For me the weather is perfect, overnight lows of 20 and daytime highs of 28. I think about 25 degrees with low humidity is the perfect running weather.

I've just discovered a nice bit of desert near my villa and have been doing the majority of my running there. No one around, perfect in a Covid world save some Oryx (Arabian gazelle), camels and lizards. Quite a bit of soft sand but some sabkha (gravely plain in English). Majority of my runs are in the 5-8 mile range with no races on the horizion. 

I have noticed an upturn in the amount of flights and we have got a lot of tourists arriving. Dubai is open and life is good. 

YTD 1563 miles - lower than usual but it is what it is.... 
  • Options
    TT, gyms are closed as from today. :(

Gorgeous weather today - would have been perfect for the half but I had a nice run along the Thames instead. 14 miles - legs didn't feel like they wanted to do more at this point, but it's not like I have a marathon any time soon.

YTD: 1947
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai...Good to have you calling in again! Enjoy your cooler runs; I'd love a day or two like that!
    Cal... Sorry about your cancelled half but great that you could get out for 14'. That must put you in the right sort of area to complete the 2000'.

The forecast tells me that it might be safe to get out in a couple of hours time, to avoid the worst of the wind and rain. Still going to be a strong W'ly along the seafront but should still get some sunshine but temps will still be in single figures I guess.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Just the hint of a shower, otherwise a fine afternoon for running 13' along the seafront. Many people out today!!
    I included Boscombe pier and Bournemouth pier and then up a chine before returning on the flat. Included 4' at marathon pace, to end up with 6 min/km o'all average pace (9:39/mile).Happy that my 48' at the start of the week has not left me with any issues. A 69 mile week, second only to my 76' back in April. Happy. 

YTD: 2234' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    DR sounds good, I could do with some blue sky (normal year we would be out of the country now!)

Cal are you now in tier four? People seem optimistic for October?!?

MrMr2 you have had a good week. 

Went out to do a long run, came back very quickly. Cold and wet, that very fine rain. 

YTD: 1447.98
  • Options
    Dubai runner: good to see your name again. The more the merrier on the thread. 

Rather feel I'm trudging towards my self set target of 1400. 8.4 to add. 

Ytd: 1373.8
  • Options
    As we trundle slowly to year end under different tiers, I would like to wish everyone a safe and peaceful festive period and hope all the niggles and other troubles go away.
    It would be great to agree the year end totals on  the 31st with a new goals for 2021 to aim for too.

Here is my update since the last total

17/12 - 7.25
    18/12 - 6.40
    19/12 - 8.87  (tried a bit of tempo)
    20/12 - 6.40  (recovery run - the shortest ever)
    21/12 - 7.25
    22/12 - 7.25

(43.42)  

YTD = 2327.34 miles

Will see what I can do over the next 9 days will aim for 100km as this will bring my total for the year to 4000 km
  • Options
    TT, I'm in London, so yes.

Thank you Harmander...all the best to you and your family.

Dubai, glad you're still around and able to run. One of my clubmates is over there at the moment, not sure why though.

Donnie, very close indeed.

10 miles fartlek today - decent run. Should be able to make 2000 but I won't be able to slack off over Christmas. (Still, since I'll be on my own, it's not like I have anything else to do eh?)

YTD: 1957
  • Options
    Cal, you'll manage 2000...plenty of time...me, I'm looking forward to slacking over Christmas,  I've got 4 tonne of concrete to mix for a wall foundation so we'll call that weight training.
    Harmander, thanks for good wishes and for inspiring all of us with your epic efforts.
    Donnie, nearing 1400, great work.
    Great to hear from you Dubai, been a weird time for everyone, no racing has strangely allowed me to do more miles than ever.
    1495 miles YTD 
    149,796ft of elevation 
    Looks like these two are rounding themselves up nicely. 
  • Options
    Hobie 1495,

Yes the numbers are the same as your handle.

Can I volunteer Cal to help you with the concrete as I notice she is complaining of having nothing to do.?

Just kidding of course.

Thanks for the kind words btw.

Enjoy.