Options

Any else gutted with their FLM performance?

Comments

• Options
    My first ever marathon and I'd trained for 4.30 and finished at 5.13 after going over on an ankle at the Tower. Amazing day - the support was just wonderful - to the extent that I appreciated having the extra limping time to enjoy all the well wishers. It was such lousy weather and tough for everyone & I didn't see or hear a single disagreeable runner all day, so congrats to everyone on friendliness and kindness if not on time!
  • Options
    I was a bit p***ed off with myself. Did the desired pace comfortably to halfway for a 3.30 finish. But at 17 miles I got entrapped in the 8 min mile pacer throng - boxed in with my heels being kicked (thank you you b******d). So dropped back and my downfall began. Finally got through at 3.41.50. Started in the GFA group - no. 4 pen, speaking virgin cabin crew member who was wanting to do the same as me - 3.30 but at least beat 3.40. If you're out there (you were in a macmillan vest) - how did you do?
    Anyway I'm over it now and I WILL do next year and enjoy it better - I'll be more organised. Planning on the doing the New Forest in September, anyone done this. Lake Vrynny (or whatever) in June sounds good too - but 3 in 1 year is too much!
    I thought the crowds were bril at FLM, they certainly helped me keep going!
  • Options
    i also wanted to do sub 4 as this was my 4th marathon and had always managed to take off 20mins from my previous ones - last one being 4.09 thought this would not be a problem but no came in on 4.03 so only took off 6 mins, felt really disappointed - does this mean i have to do another one just to get sub 4?!!
  • Options
    I am very disappointed with my time. Based on my Half Marathon time (Brentwood 1.56.30) and my Thanet 20 (3.16) should have been inside 4.30. And both races I finished with 'plenty in the tank'. In fact, both races my final mile was the quickest of the race. Yet London I finish just inside 4.48!
    On the day I did not feel right from the start. Even after half a mile my calves really ached. Yet all I done in the last week was two runs, one of 2.5 miles and one 4.5 miles. The other strange thing was that I was hot, like it was a humid day.
    I started slow (10 min miling) and got slower! Should have been able to hold even pace at that slow speed.
    Biggest frustration is that I look back on my training and I did all the distance work. I did not do speed work and maybe not enough of those 5 -8 mile runs in between. But based on the distance runs and my half marathon and 20 miler, I should have been able to get to 22 without a problem and not half a mile before suffering.
  • Options
    you know
    the marathon is a funny distance
    it finds out all your weaknesses
    it knows if you had a bad week

or a nigle that you ignored

even if you did all the training--it can al go wrong on the day

i have to hope that one day it can also go right
    ill keep trying
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hey you guys, just read all your posts. I think they call it PMS, post marathon Syndrome.
    Poppy, bless you you did everything right!
    Like PH just said, it finds out all your weaknesses. The other thing is no matter how well you train, you cannot know aht will happen on the day.
    You are all stars! Think of the people sitting in their armchairs wondering if they could, and all the people you inspire! My daughter is one!
    You are all stars! Repeat after me...
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    This was my first Marathon, and Ive ended up with mixed feelings after all my hard work in training. I had been fairly comfortable with my training times setting my half at 1.48, my 20 mile at 2.59, and trained the last few weeks achieve sub 4......achieve my a***! Finished with a time of 4.10 after getting tired legs at 23 miles and limped home. My thanks go to all the supporters, all of which gave me a big high.....and the only low the time! Just don't know what to do with myself now!! Does anyone know much about triathlons?? I fancy something with a swim in it.....oh and I will be back to get my time!
  • Options
    my frist flm ,ive read people messages and i have to agree ,i was in the red start in pen 9 , for the frist 8 miles i was zig zaging all around just to keep running some people where intent on walking from the start so why dont the people start from the back or at least stay to one side
    i ended up with 4 19 but im not happy because i think with more of a clear run i could of hit under 4hrs
    i to have decided to do the halstead marathon on may 16th just to see with a clearer run if i could break the 4 hr mark
  • Options
    Im a st-

no
    sobs loudly

why were you in pen 9 wih that time
  • Options
    run for charity
  • Options
    This was my 1st marathon and I did the training for it, wanting to do between 4.30 and five and came in at 5.01. As above tired legs at embankment but knew my husband was after big ben so had to run past him! then had renewed strengh down bird cage. It was a never do again job but now on reflection of what I did am going to apply again. Also feel lost what to do, Plymouth half for me next got to crack 2.20. just hope my toe nails stop hurting for me to get running again in a week or so.
  • Options
    charity dont mean you have to start in pen 9
    depends what predicted time you put down
  • Options
    i put down 3 45 when i got the running number from the excel it had the small 9 but being my frist marathon i didnt relise if that was good or bad ,people at the running club told me to move up the pens ,but being my frist i wanted to do it properly ,
  • Options
    TriagainJim - I got surprisingly hot too - ended up tipping half of the water over my head at each station. Don't really understand it unless it was humidity.

Also have done a lot better and felt stronger in 20 milers and have trained more since then.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Add some words if I may.

Haven't run London for 2 years - ran 3.31 then.

This year done loads of training, ran an 'easy' 20 miles at Bramley, raced 21 at Cranleigh and 19.5XC at Meon Valley. Plus a couple of 23 mile long runs on my own.

Right shoes, right diet, right preperation, confident of a low 3 hour time ~3:05

However what you can't legislate for is what's out of your control. Standing around in the cold at Blackheath/Greenwich doesn't do your limbs any favours. Incessant rain detracts from the joy of racing (I wanted a bigmac a pint and to see my family from about 18, only the sponsor money kept me going).

Finished with 3:17 which at the time really pi**ed me off.
    HOWEVER it was a pb, within my control I did everything right, and if I raced any differently (started a bit slower?) it wouldn't have made a huge difference. What irks IMHO is that we can't go out on Sunday and try to pull out what our efforts deserve (unlike a 5/10k). Tough I know but a fact of running.

Be pleased you did as well as you could and move on. Think of all those supporters who came out to cheer you on, in their eyes you're a superstar.

Roll on next year!
  • Options
    Just to say thanks for your comments - you have really cheered me up.

Ran my first marathon in 4.48 which was a big disspointment as i stupidly thought, based on a half-marathon of 1.48, i could do it in around 4 hours.

I underestimated just how difficult 26.2 miles really is and that following an ITB problem i didn't train hard enough.

Still despite my comments about never running again, already being tempted to enter another marathon in a little while.

But i AM proud to have finished such a difficult achievement, and i think only fellow marathoneers appreciate just how difficult those last few miles are!
  • Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one... determined not to let all that training go to waste.

Still trying to figure which May / June marathon to go for before my marathon retirement...
  • Options
    retirement Neil?

ha ha
    dont believe you
    pab, if you put 3.45, then your pen was probably 6, not 9
    9 is for over 5 hours, like me
  • Options
    Thanks glad to know i am not the only one

Rhino Hope to see you in cardiff
    Neil sure you don't fancy cardiff?

Lizzy it was really good to meet you at the Hotel glad you got home safely, bruises well lets just say lots more have come out but they are less sore.How are you feeling after your fall?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Would actually quite like Cardiff having lived there for 3 years but with first baby due in August I'm not going to run marathons for a while.

A new activity will be taking up a lot of my weekend free time!

Hence wish to do myself justice (soon!)
  • Options
    This was my fith FLM and my worst,I was looking for under 4hrs but finished in 4 24,every thing was going well untill mile 19 then every thing fell apart cramp,stiff neck etc etc,absolutely gutted but theres always next year.
  • Options
    This has really cheered me up. FLM was my fourth marathon and was expecting 4.15 - 4.30. My half six weeks ago was 1.54 and Worthing 20 was 3.10 so was confident it was on. Finished in 4.55 - my slowest time of my four marathons and the one that I have trained for the hardest. Gutted. BUT, there are some learnings for me and since I am already booked in for Copenhagen in 3.5 weeks time I'm gonna try and put them in place. My big prob was cramp at 15 miles (something that normally happens to me but not until 19-21 miles).
  • Options
    I think most of the problems you guys have had - cramps and stuff were due to the cold & rain - out of our hands really. It's the people who didn't do enough training and whinge that annoy me.

My intention was to finish in 4.20/25 this year...training went well - despite hamstring injury, set PB in half of 1:51, did long run of 20 miles in 3:05 and thought I'd cruise it.

Reality: 10 minute wait for the toilets at mile 8, 30k in 3.32...slower than desired but doing okish, fell in rain, got myself a dead leg and had to hobble remainder of way.

Finish time: 5:20!!! Nightmare!!

Hugely disappointed, but still had top day due to crowd support. Have to do it again next year now!!!
  • Options
    Strange comfort in this thread reading others' disappointment and some good words about possible reasons and advice on how to cope with it.
    I was running round with my wife. We planned to do sub-3:30 and had done all the training (the long runs were no problem, the speedwork a bit tough), the taper, the good food, the early nights. Lucozade Sport before and during the race. Her fourth FLM with PB 3:31 2 years ago (my PB sub 3), so we were confident, but from early on in the race she told me she thought she was going to struggle. Excellent pacing and just 1.5 mins inside target at 30K, but she hit the wall about 20-21 miles and slowed and slowed to a 3:37:33, which is still a great time, but so disappointing compared to what we had anticipated. Crowds fabulous, and £800 for charity. Currently her view is 'no more marathons' but I think we'll have another pop at sub 3:30 when the pain wears off.
  • Options
    As Wabo says.....everybody who does this event is a star. Despite my disappointment at my time, I am still really proud of my achievement - and have raised £1,300 for ChildLine too, which is fab.

We're all stars!

Twinkle twinkle!!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the thread but I did a May marathon last year and there were plenty of people that had had a disappointing run at London who ran a better time in that one.
  • Options
    Hey Guys. You did it. Those who got through with disappointing times and agony had far more to deal with than those who romped through with no problems whatsoever, so give yourselves a pat on the back for finishing against the odds instead of flagellating yourselves for not achieving an arbitrary time.
    Myself, I was hijacked by the dreaded runner's trots, and had to queue 4(!) times for the loo. No idea what my actual running time was, but the finishing one was 4.33. Despite a slow time I feel great. No aches now, never hit the wall, and was able to run right up to the finish, then tandem home for a shower!. As an flm virgin I am quite satisfied, and have vowed never to loose my loperamide tablets again.
  • Options
    Interesting to see how many peeps here are reporting good half and 20 miles times and solid training who suffered badly on the day.

Just goes to show, if it's not your day there's nothing you can do about it.
  • Options
    I still lost out to you all..... sob
  • Options
    i suppose i should be disappointed with my time - i origionally trained for sub 4.30 got an injury, missed training for 5 weeks so thought it more realistic to go for 5 hrs - actually got 5.25! But i loved it! Toilet stops meant that i was waiting in queues for 1/2 hr! But whilst waiting in the queue my hubby saw me (he started off from red me from blue) and ran with me so ran across the line holding hands (aarrr!) i was very emotional & glad I finished, i didn't hit the wall - just injury hurting a little after 10 miles! I would just love to do it again. What makes me more chuffed is that i've inspired 3 people to apply next year!