Options

Marathon de sable

Hi for some insane reason I have today entered the 2005 MdeS. I know it is a year away but and going to need that to train for it. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could find a training program.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Liz
    Congrats on entering - thats the hardest bit.
    below is an extract from an article I have written for my website - it may give you some pointers. There will be others along shortly to give you their respective views
    Good luck ....

Stage Races
    These type of races are generally better suited to the racing snakes. Typical stages might be 23 miles long – but often races include a long stage of say 50+ miles for which it is usual to have 2 days to cover. After each days race the competitors have a long time to rest and recover and which gives them ample time to replenish there energy and to properly attend to there aches and pains. This doesn’t mean that these races are any easier – it just means that the emphasis is different and preparation will be different. Much of what I have said above is relevant here – but the principle differences are…..

Physical Training.
    In anticipation that again a competitor new to this type of race will be coming from a Marathon background the change in training wont be quite so different as it for the point to point racing described above. Because the distances are set daily and typically are about 23 miles each it is quite sensible to maintain a higher element of running in your training – but something like 5mph is perfectly fast enough for the majority. However, bear in mind that during the race you will be doing about a marathon a day make sure you do quite a number of hard runs back to back ie on a Saturday and then again on a Sunday. Train with a pack on your back if the race you have entered is self sufficient but DON’T start training with 30lbs on your back. Start with just a rucksack and a water bottle and build up over a number of months. For something like the Marathon des Sables it is likely that you will be carrying about 25 lbs on your back at the start of the race (drops dramatically as your food is consumed over the week). Still try to get out on some inhospitable terrain such as mountains – this will better prepare you for the uneven surface you will encounter in whatever race you do – and secondly this type of terrain is far more forgiving on your joints……. And thirdly it is shit boring to trudge around the roads day in day out – you might as well enjoy your surroundings whilst training.

• Options
    next bit....

Mental training.
    Typically this type of race isn’t quite so mentally taxing. It is unlikely that you will have to endure the solitude to any great degree – as each day the whole race gathers up again and typically each stage might only be 6-8 hours long (often a lot shorter). However, you will suffer pain – and a strong mental attitude can carry you through this. As stated earlier I recommend you get out on some long stinking hard runs and when it gets tough – go on for 2-3 hours.

Systems
    Many of these races last for a week and even though you will have longer races it is important that you are prepared to give the race your best shot.
    Bear in mind the following…
    a) Racing schedule – often these races will have checkpoints close together at about 10km (6 mile distances). You need to consider whether you intend to stop at each checkpoint or whether you are going to race through. A combination is often a good idea. However, without killing yourself do consider that a typical days race will only last 6 hours or so – so basically pull your finger out and go for it. The tortoise and the Hare method does work but not quite so effectively as it does for point to point races. You will NOT be as fast as you are at home – in the MdS 5km an hour is a good pace for most people.

b) Sleeping systems – not so vital in this type of race but instead of bearing in mind the speed in which you prepare you sleeping system you need to consider the most effective way of staying warm and comfortable for the longer period. Consider whether you will need to carry a Thermalite or Karrimat or would rather sacrifice the weight and sleep directly on the ground. Both methods have there merits – it’s a personal choice. Do you need to carry extra clothing to keep warm – its too late to consider this once you are out there.

c) Eating – Loads more time to prepare you food but you will still need some (but far less) nibbles for the running sections. Consider again your heating system whether it be gas, colemans, hexamine or whatever. Know how your system works and calculate how much fuel will be needed and take just enough. Too much fuel is extra weight and if you haven’t tried out your system before the race you are quite likely to take far far far too much.

• Options
    and finally....

Food
    As with all the above, I speak from personal experience and in many cases this will differ from what the “experts” tell you. Personally I cant stand these sports energy bars and gels – they taste crap. When you are shattered after say 60 miles your taste buds become very particular and the last thing you need is crap tasting food. Whilst on the run I tend to carry handy and tasty nibbles such as m & m’s, Cashew Nuts, Star Bars, Milk coated almonds, Jellied sweets, Peanuts – in fact anything that I can steadily stuff into my mouth – a lot of people like dried fruit – if you like it go for it. But where a lot of novice racers go wrong – is they sucked into the myth that energy bars and gels will make them super human – if you like them use them but if you have doubts stick to a bar of chocolate or something similar – your taste buds will thank you. I try to pick these snack foods with high fat and calorie counts – you will need the energy – trust me.
    When you stop make sure whatever food you intend using has been pre-tested. You will have to race as light as possible which will mean you will be no doubt using dehydrated food. Some of this food is good – but a lot is horrible. Try them out before you go and remember you will be hungry so you might well need twice the food. Also bear in mind that some of this food requires boiling in a pan – avoid these as the pan is extra weight to carry and will need cleaning – go for the meals that hydrate in their own bags.
    Energy drinks in my opinion can be useful. Most of the time I need to dilute them to ½ the concentration recommended by the manufacturers. But if you do intend using energy drinks keep a separate bottle for them – DO NOT USE THEM IN A CAMELBACK OR SIMILAR IN A RACE. The reason for this last statement being in capitals is because of the change in your taste buds – if you do become sick of the taste you camelback will have become tainted with the taste and it really puts you off drinking and consequently dehydration isn’t far away (Iditasport 2002)
  • Options
    Just read what I have put above - please bear in mind that this is part of a larger article - the point to point races I refer to are ones with no stops - ie Desert Cup or Yukon.

Hope it makes sense.
  • Options
    I did the MdeS in 2003 and agree with everything LFW says - especially about findout out what YOU like nutrition wise.

You have to try everytihng as you need to keep the calories ticking over, but what you like and can hold down under race/ exercise conditions can often be different, whoch is why I personally do like powerbars and gels as I can consume them, but cannot always with nuts, bombay mix etc.

However you need to take a variety of things out there.

As far as dehydrated food is concerned (and I ham really fussy on this point) but the best food I have tried (and Ihave tried at least 7 manufacturers) is Mountain House from the states.

You have to order it onlune from www.rei.com, but has more vareity and is more like 'real' food then any other (in my opinion)

You will also need to do at least one 50 miler before you go - this will do your confidence the world of good, if you havent done one already - but the best thing to do is probab;y the Thames Meander sometime in February - which was originally set up as an MDS Training Event.

Also use the message boards set up by Best Of Morocco (assuming you have booked your lace through them) - as many vets go back to the desert and always have a wealth of info to share
  • Options
    Liz, good luck with it, I did it in 2000, although what follows only touches on training you might find it useful, it is a reply to an email from another female who will be doing it next year. Yorkshire Running Man (Paul) has done it 5 or 6 times now at the moment he is getting married in Mauritius but when he gets back he will prove a mine of useful information.

Right so here goes with some answers to the questions and hopefully some top tips. I would always say with any advice that it may be right for me but not for someone else, its up to you whether you agree or not.

Training
    I would maintain that any off road running is going to do you good, the extra resistance and the strengthening effects on the procireptors (sp?) as well as limiting impact particularly once you get the pack on.

Top tip- Take part in a few of the Long Distance Walker Association events (check their website), well organised ultra distance events with tea stops (hurrah) and no stringent cut off times due to them being primarily for walkers.

I never got to train in the sand but would say that people lucky enough to have access to dunes would do well to base their hill reps on them.

We started with our packs in the January, the first run was 10 miles with a few pounds in (straight after a 10k race if I remember correctly), each run we added a couple of pounds until regularly running with something like the weight we would be carrying in the desert. I even ran on the treadmill with the pack. The only time I didn't use the pack was during races (I can't bear not to be up there competing) and when I ran with my baby jogger- which in itself provided resistance training without loading weight onto the legs and knees.

Top tip- When adding weight use bottles of water- with old t-shirts wrapped round to stop hard edges digging in. If you get tired or lost or injured water can be jettisoned- your favourite copies of Russian novels cannot.

The heat proved to be the major problem for me, I could not cope at all, however a trip to the sun or a few goes at running in a sauna still can not prepare you for the relentlessness of the heat in the desert, the only respite being the tent at the end of the stage. Although it got light around 6 am the stages didn't start till 9:30 by which time the heat was strong. If it had been an option I would in future (except I won't be doing it again) try to get out into the desert and run for maybe a week prior to the start as even the sitting around in camp did not prepare me for how terrible I would feel. On the 4th day I finally got used to it and then really needed a few more days after the event finished to do myself justice. This is just not an option for most people though, so I would try not to worry, it might just be that I am particularly affected and in any case you do acclimatise before too long.

Kit- Trainers
    Definitely go for bigger by at least a size and a half, I did and still ended up taking the insole out to accommodate my growing feet. I am also an orthotic wearer and found no problems with the size of the orthotic in a bigger shoe. Break them in during training, ok you feel like you're wearing barges on your feet but better to know about that rogue seam that causes a blister.

Top tip- check the mesh part of the upper, go for a dense one if possible, less t-bag like. Desert sand is like powder and can work its way through nearly anything.

• Options
    Gaiters- Yes yes yes an absolute must, you will get away with ordinary socks and the sand will have no access to your feet if you have them made (I have been providing this service via Paul) or make them yourself out of pertex kite fabric which is basically untreated shower curtaining. They need ideally to be made to fit round the whole of the upper and glued to the midsole. I make them calf height with an elastic and lace lock fastening so they can be worn up or round the ankle.

Kit- Mats and sleeping bags
    A mat would be a personal preferrence thing I took one, but who knows if I would if I was doing it again. All kinds of things are to be found around the campsite including cardboard boxes (from the water bottles) that may insulate the ground if you chose not to take one. Ask Paul about types, mine was the basic foam thing but he has used thin inflatable half mats in the past. Sleeping bags- it gets very cold at night and the sides of the tents are open and the wind can get up. I would spend a bit of money getting the lightest but warmest bag possible and still expect to sleep fully clothed.

Top tip- Do not under any circumstances buy a sleeping bag with a mesh back (for weight saving) Rosie Swales who we tent shared with in 2000 had one and we had to wrap her in bubble wrap every night as she was frozen, every time she turned over you could hear pop pop pop pop! It was only on the last night that we realised we should have been using the space blankets to keep her warm.

Kit- Compass
    The basic plastic housed orienteering compass from YHA shops is fine, really the course is well marked and trodden, even during the night there are glow sticks hung on bushes at intervals to help you navigate.

Sun protection
    P20, enough said. The best. I used it all week and thought I had a beautiful (if a bit orange) tan, which all washed off in the shower afterwards it was that powdery coating of sand that everyone gets.

Top tip- Make sure you apply the P20 before you leave the tent and give it about 20 minutes then apply your usual moisturiser (now that's a girl thing).

Sunglasses
    Paul gave me his Oakleys as he had a new pair, what a mate, not heard of sand goggles; the Oakleys were fine even when the wind got up.

Rucksacks
    We had moletrack ones an American make, I still use mine for pack running. I made a rather useful bottle carrier pouch arrangement for myself and Bev so my water was get-at-able and also my loo roll and glucose sweets it fixed onto the front.

Top tip- Get used to the ruck sack with the full weight in training, interesting things happen in the chaffing department, I had to tape my lower back where it rubbed, but people with skinny shoulders may have problems in the collarbone department. Ladies may find bra strap digging a conundrum.

I didn't have a camel back as I am not sure how hygienic they are long term, but I would say this, they enable sips to be taken, rather than big gulps. If you are running in the dunes and there is a big gap between drinks stations this may be a way of conserving water.

Top Tip- Something I would do differently next time (though I can assure you there won't be one) I would practice with the recommended amount per stage and get used to drinking exactly that, and I would have a go at it in warm weather this summer. I found there was plenty of water most of the time, just one hairy occasion on the 22 mile dune day when I ran out, although I was nowhere near dehydrated as I had the worlds longest pee within metres of the finish line- plus other stuff but I won't go into detail here. Sip don't gulp!
  • Options
    Clothes
    I was reading a thing in my friends Look and Learn Annual from 1978 or sometime about the Tuarreg (sp?) desert tribesmen and they all wear indigo rather than white, so I took dark blue clothes, who knows if it did any good but I like attention to detail like that.
    Clothing consisted of:
    Pair of shorts with cotton inner apart from that commando!
    Sports bra crop top from insport provided by Sportsbras Unlimited.
    Porelle socks the cyclists use them with rubber layer they keep all sand out though with my gaiters I had no sand get in anyway so they probably weren't necessary, Ask Paul what his current thinking is. They are a bit thicker than normal socks and you do sweat a bit in them, which only manifests itself with singing detective style skin peeling about a fortnight after you get back. I had problems with lots of things but feet were fine.
    I had off road trail shoes, but I may just go for a more lightweight performance shoe where I to do it again (which I'm not).
    Baseball cap and the best piece of clothing ever invented a buff, great for absorbing sweat, keeping the sun off your neck and keeping the sand out of your mouth and ears in a storm.
    Blue wicking t shirt

For the evening
    An old Helly Hanson
    a pair of very thick Berghaus leggings
    a pair of socks
    some rather strappy sandals, which caused hilarity, I was going to wear some cheap foam and Velcro jobs but found they rubbed so went with my old Marks and Spencer’s summer sandals which were great as the straps were minimal and didn't interfere with sore toes.

Top tip- It can be cold first thing in the morning and once the tents have been taken up you don't want to be messing taking shoes off to remove leggings, so get something with incredibly long zips in that you can whiz off over your shoes. I made Paul a pertex (very lightweight, but windproof) pair of long bottoms with zips practically all the way up.

More Kit- Head torch
    Yes very good, there is a fair amount of stumbling to be done and hands free is better. Petzl (sp) do really nifty lightweight halogen ones. Mine was a bit cheap and heavy but I have since won a beautiful one at Race the Train- pity I'm not going to get to the desert to use it.

Food and Drink
    Apart from my battles with the heat, I had a lot of vomiting to contend with and found that all the fancy survival foods I took made me heave. I survived on vanilla complan, glucose sweets and those cheap Knorr snack pot type things.
    It was essential I had a small kettle and the tiniest metal army and navy "stove" in which you burnt hexi- blocks. I cannot survive without earl grey tea and so it seems neither can other people near the end of the week people were offering money for one tea bag. I had practiced with energy gels but they also to this day make me gip.

Top tip- There are usually plenty of prickly bushes which make good fuel for a fire to supplement any hexi blocks and save taking heavy gas type stoves. Incidentally check with the organisers what you are allowed to take on the plane, with the threat of terrorism things will have changed.

Top tip- although you may think you will crave sweet foods you actually crave salty things (in spite of the salt tablets) I was hallucinating the glow sticks we were handed once it got dark were pepperamis! All I wanted was some smokey bacon crisps. A great mix you could try would be fruit and nut with added salted cashews- I now take this on a long run with a few Asda foamy fruits and jelly beans (less sticky than jelly babies) Morrisons are excellent for the dried fruit and nuts.

Utensils- you only need a plastic spoon and maybe a fork.

Top tip- take a small penknife and cut the tops off water bottles to use as containers for tea and meals.
  • Options
    Medicines
    I naturally took Immodiums even though 5 had absolutely no impact on the bowel problems I started to suffer from, never mind the medical tent came up trumps when I hysterically told them this with some big pink tablets, which stopped me going for a week!

Top tip- Do you know someone with a bad back? Commandeer their supply of big ibuprofens and take one a day before you start, beware of too many as you can get nosebleeds with the altitude combined.

Zinc oxide tape and a tiny pair of scissors (in your penknife combo) to tape up toes BEFORE blisters start to be an issue. Compeeds are good, just leave thewm on all week.

Top tip- Dip a safety pin in tcp then pop any blisters, squeeze onto tissue and cover, I would avoid having them dealt with in the medical tent where they seem to slice big lumps of skin off. Rosie swore by Bettadine.

We took travel toilet roll (from YHA shops); it's more compacted than normal. I would recommend two rolls of this, as one was not enough for me with my squitty bum. Paul said take one but he is a boy and doesn't need to wipe as often as us girls!
    A small packet of wipes does wonders for the morale, I also took a small bottle of anti bacterial hand wash (doesn't require water)

Get used to not worrying about crouching down and using the sand to do your business, just cover over. The first day out people were walking miles to avoid being seen; by the end you were lucky if they were more than 2 metres from your tent!

We had a great group in our tent, mixed gender that would never be a problem with me anyway, by the end of the week you can only recognise people by the clothes they have on as the rest of them is coated with sand and the boys all have stubble. We had a lot of laughs, most of it gallows humour and that was the best bit about the whole thing, getting back to the tent and seeing who was there and seeing your mates come in rather like fighter pilots back from a bombing mission.

I am not a good sleeper when it comes to camping on hard ground and some nights it was very windy with bits of tent falling down on us. I had all my clothes on and the sleeping bag pulled right over my head just to be warm enough.

Top tip- In the mornings the team of Moroccan guys are out early taking down tents, they come for the floor carpet things a bit later, so stay put while they take the tent off over you and you have 20 or so extra minutes to get yourself together before they need you up.

Ladies matters
    I would choose not to have a period as the facilities are basic to say the least, so I took the pill continuously to avoid.
    Don't worry about being coy, shenanigans are the last thing on anybodies mind, it's more about surviving and getting up to run the next day.
    Bras, as I said crop top was my choice. Bigger chested girls could wear a normal cup bra with crop top over.

Top tip- I have recently discovered a great thing called Op Site spray made by Smith and Nephew, it's a spray skin that you put on before you get any chaffing, I use it now for marathons for areas where bras can rub.
  • Options
    The media
    Try to pick a unique aspect of your story, that makes them take notice. However I happened to mention that I hadn't run a marathon and they took it to mean I had been pottering around doing 5 or 6 miles here and there and started being all incredulous. The fact that I had run further than that in training did not register. I think the recent coverage of Tracey Morris' achievements illustrate this- she is not a fun runner but someone who has developed rapidly through hard work to post an excellent marathon time.

One Last thing
    This is an experience of a lifetime and it will change you, never mind the weight take a camera and plenty of film I love looking back at this painful experience and whenever I feel like jacking it in during a race I think "well you finished that so you will finish this".
    - Just don't expect your camera to work once you get home, sand kills them.

Hope this isn't too long; it's been fun re-living the race.

Monique
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [li'l leopard kowtows so deeply that her nose is quite buried in the sand...]
  • Options
    So you doing it agian Monique?

I'm still not allowed!!!!
  • Options
    Never

Only I've said never to other things before....
  • Options
    Fantastic posts Monique... I'm in awe!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone,apologies for not having acknowledged previously laptop suffering a bit with Sass.

• Options
    Liz
    yu wont regret entering - I have done this year run and loved it! Was just a one off for me and will never go again so obviously I have just sent for next years aplication form guess the wife will be well chuffed! The best thing I took was some of S.I.S. Reggo - bannana flavour - total luxury and it did seem to help me to recover for the next day. Hope to see you there next year
  • Options
    A rego a day kept some of the pain away - thats for sure

also remember lots of ibruprfen and some seriously strong pain killers!
  • Options
    Cant imagine what warm REGO will taste like. Nice when chilled but....

reading all the above tips with interest as doing the jungle equivalent in September.
    has anyone tried the expedetion co. meals ?
    Not bad flavours and light packs so handy.
    Big advantage is that our organisers will provide the boiling water ech night.
    What levels of daily caolories are you looking at ?
    I was thinking 2 bag meals each night = 1300
    2 energy bars= 400 bag dried fruit = 200 2 bags mixed nuts a day = 800 or so- and a few gels - so aiming at 3000 or thereabouts.

ANy comments ?
    Cheers.
  • Options
    I think the minimum at the mds was 2000 a day

i probably had a little more than that but not much

the problem was getting the calories down you

at the end of the day it was too much effort to cook two meals, and i couldnt have got tht ,much food inside of me in one go (but i am quite small at 5'4 and 58kg)

others in my tent had no problem consuming 2 meals inthe evening.

if I did it again I would had a lot more gels etc toconsumewhen not running (as I could get these down, but only had planned to eat them during the stages)

I would also look at maybe a savory meal for breakfast.

I had planned on having sweet granola for breakfast which was too sweet after a coupleof days.
    I traded some of that with a guy who had only bought muesli whih when soaked over night was good as it had some texture inti.

But I think noodles or even a warm meal may have been beter.

The thing about nutrition is that is it such a personal thing
  • Options
    Hi congratulations on signing up for the MdS I sent away for the joining instructions myself this weekend. Hope to see you at the start line next easter. Good Luck with your training.

My only advice is get on the stepper. Dune day isn't about running its about climbing.
  • Options
    Re food.

Thanks for ideas. I have come across a packet of beans and sausage which you can warm by placing in hot water. May try this as i like the idea of a b fast start day. However not sure how i would run with a full stomach.
  • Options
    Hbcap - there is a good hour and half orso between eating and you setting of to run.

After a fewdays in the desert i tales agood 20 itues to stagger to the start line whilst the pain killers kick in.

Also Patrick Bauer does like the sound of his own voice so you have to put up with him raving away to cheesy dance tunes for a while before the inevitable speech of the day.
  • Options
    Thanks But i am doing the jungle race in Sept- but was on thread as wantd some good tips on the food ! Thanks,
  • Options
    If there is a good hour between breakfast and actually hitting the trail - you will probably be alright eating what you like!
  • Options
    Im not sure how long in between=- will need to find out and plan accordingly !
    Thinking generally of few energy bars/ nuts/fruit and some gels for the days.
  • Options
    fancy trying one of these, can anyone tell me where to enter please...would like to try next years but if not 06 would be fine

ta
  • Options
    just requested pack myself
  • Options
    well I was in the 2004 MDS until I tore a cruciate ligament at the MOB lite 3 weeks before I was due to go out.....

So im in the 2005 one now....

The thames Meander is tailor made for MDS virgins make sure your there and attend the school the next day - apart from learning a shitload you will have a great time and meet people doing the MDS.

If I could give one peice of advice it would have to be - BE CAREFULL NOT TO OVERTRAIN IN THE FINAL FEW MONTHS - Dont do weighted rucksack training on hard surfaces either unless you want to be plagued by injury.

Another thing I found regarding advice given, and it took me a while to actually work this out......when taking advice consider whether your talking to someone who did it just to get around or someone who did it to get as close to the front as they could - because their advice re-pack content will differ wildly and it may not be in your best interests.

There was a couple of people particularly who helped me enormously (one of which frequents this board quite often) in getting my pack weight down to a more knee and running friendly 7kg - but to do that you can forget all about luxury stuff like cameras.....its amazing how all those light little things stack up the weight.