Options

Marathon de sable

Comments

• Options
    to lfw, ta muchly, am off to try the site and hopefully see people there if not next year definately 06 barring injury
  • Options
    Is everyone running for charity ?
    Are most running for 'Facing Africa' ?

I've almost... nearly... entered ;-)
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    respect to anyone that does this! jes!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    definitely doing this (first time) and thanks for the tips from all the vets on this forum, fundraising starts now...
  • Options
    got application form through this morning
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    boing

Got my application too, and clearance from Her.

Still not quite sure that, as a responsible Dad, I shouldn't be spending all that time and money on a trip to Disneyland or a week's skiing.

Hmmm...
  • Options
    toomuchapplepie - i share your reservations, but if one doesn't commit to something now, when does one get around to doing it?
  • Options
    Tma - the very best of luck, you wont regret it and I am certain your family will be really proud of your efforts and wont mind forgoing the Disneyland holiday ...

(he says lying through his teeth ... ;0))
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    dutchie - funnily enough, that was what wifey said.

I was expecting at least some resistance from her at the idea of me spending 11 days away and then not being able to walk for another month (if I'm lucky), but she just said I should go for it while I can, as how often do opportunities like this come along in one's life?

So that's that then. Will fill in the form tonight. Yeah!
  • Options
    Tma, great stuff! Filling in the form for me was the easy (easier) part, rattling my bucket around will take a little effort! Are you thinking of the Facing Africa route?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    How do you mean like?
    The booklet includes some stuff about Facing Africa in it (ooof - and there's me worrying about depriving my kids of a ski trip).
  • Options
    I meant you're not footing the bill solo are you? figured you may seek sponsorship like the rest...?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I'll get sponsorship for the kids' school, probably, but not to cover the cost of the race. Been saving up.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    So:

20 litre or 25 litre rucksack? Any particular model?

Also, still baffled as to how you carry 12,000 calories worth of food with you. I've been looking at energy levels in food for the first time ever, and that's an awful lot.

Do they give you any more detailed instructions about what to bring, or is that list of rules it?
  • Options
    I used a 25 litre Karrimore ruck sack last year plus a bum bag on my front to carry odds and ends in. your 2000 cals per day is a bit challenging and you need enough for 7 days. I used SIS bars and gels and boosted the calories with electrolytes and Reggo recovery drinks - highly recomended. I understand that SIS intend to make the go and reggo powders available in 1 measure sachets which will help with packing.I would make sure you get a range of flavours as they get boring after a bit!
  • Options

Extra rucksack space means you'll pack more and be carrying extra weight. You need to know in your own mind how much you really expect to run because if you do want to do run decent amounts of it your going to have to take a far more minimilistic approach than most when it comes to pack weight.

I did hundreds and hundreds of miles training in my moletrack endure and it never even slightly rubbed - some people seem to have problems with them though - I think it can depend on your build as to what rucksack might rub and what might not.

"Do they give you any more detailed instructions about what to bring, or is that list of rules it?"

Ones things for sure you will dissapear under a mountian of advice.

I have an excel sheet with the exact contents of my pack including meals and calories per day and exactly where every item actually fitted in my rucksack and exactly how much each item weighed. Vetted by the ever helpfull Yorkshire running man I managed to get it down to a more running friendly 7Kg.

Whilst I wouldnt recommend My kit list because its very much the absolute bare minimum and everyones approach to the race is different - it does give you some idea of the minimum amount of kit that you need to shoe horn in and carry - if your curious I can email it to you.
  • Options
    jason X

i'd be intersted in seeing that excel sheet, purely as an academic exercise
  • Options
    whats your email and ill fire it off to you.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    me too - that sounds really useful.

I think if you click on my name you can send me a mail.

• Options
    I dont think you cant insert a file using RW email function that is under your profile......or if you can I cant see how
  • Options
    It was an article about MdS that got me off the couch and out running in the first place.
    Been running since March now and doing my first marathon in a couple of months.
    Reading LFW's very inspiring site has made me more determined than ever to realise my dream and I am now planning to enter my first ultra (Thames meander) early next year, all going well I should manage to fit a few more ultra's in next year, and 2006 should see me traipsing across the Sahara.

So I just want to say Thank You Very Much LFW :O)
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Oh, I see.
    peteandpascale@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ditto please JX getsteady@go.com
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much - that's very helpful.
  • Options
    Pienapper
    Thanks for your kind comments - I am chuffed to winkles that my website has inspired you a bit.
    I hope to get the unfinished pages up in the next week or so - so please do go back.
    ty
  • Options
    Yeh theres some fantastic writing on your site LFW.

I stand in awe of anybody who attempts the full Yukon, I still cant relate to why anyone would be mad enough to attempt that!!!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I've decided not to enter this, after all that.

Work and family-wise, I wouldn't be able to do it (or them) justice, and want to do an ultra and/or stage race before I try this.

One day though...
  • Options
    I initially wanted to do the MDS but my wife would not let me ! however she has let me do the jungle marathon this Spetember= Not sure why !
    Anyway i know with a family what difficulty there is- Training/time/etc,,,, And the thought of saying goodbye to my 5 year old for a couple weeks is quite hard...

I am v much looking forward to it and meeting up with LFW- whose website has also inspired me somewhat...
  • Options
    Hello all : )
    Thought I should introduce myself, as for some insane reason I have agreed to do the training with my husband Ian who has entered 2005 MDS .... my back ground is Triathlon, I race Ironman distance and for the last two years Ian has longed to do the MDS so here goes..... I thought the pics of the feet would deter him - I thought wrong instead he is bussy bathing his feet in Betadine. So you guys who have been there done it and survived we need all the tips and help going : )

Julie