Options

Marathon in 4 weeks and disaster!

Help! We were all ready to go on our last big run yesterday of 20 miles, gels, drinks on hand, when disaster struck - it was very hot, we sweated loads, got knackered, felt faint, sore legs and grumpy. We gave up after 10 miles, just couldn't go on, both of us a bit tearful and worried about our ability to do the marathon in 4 weeks time after 6 months prep. We did 18 miles 2 weeks ago and it felt ok, certainly much better than yesterday. We were aiming to do it in 5hrs, now we just want to finish. Any last minute tips would be gratefully received? Should we try and do another long one this week to get our confidence back? Is it too late to fit in some weight training? Please help us get back on track and look forward to the day rather than dreading it!

Comments

• Options
    "disaster" for me would mean an injury which leaves you doubtful for the race.

It looks like you picked a bad day to do your long run. This sunday would be a good time to try another 20 miler. After that I'd taper.

Certainly don't try something out of the blue like weight-training, that could lead to disaster.

Chill out, you'll be fine! :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Bryan, I guess I've got to get it into perspective. You're right, we're not injured, it's all in our heads. I just can't imagine doing those extra 8 miles on the day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    JCF - I expect the heat was responsible for yesterday's bad run. As suggested do another long run this weekend, if the forecast is hot go out early (6 am if necessary). But as you have chosen to do a summer marathon you must get used to the heat so do your shorter runs in warmer parts of the day. The first run each year in the heat does knock you for six, so hopefully what happened yesterday was a one off and you won't be so badly affected again.

Weight training won't help you run a marathon, but will only tire your leg muscles if you started it now.

Which marathon are you doing?
  • Options
    Hi Shades,
    Thanks for advice. We're doing the Edinburgh marathon on 13 June - we just didn't expect that kind of heat in Scotland! I guess it's good that it happened so we're prepared.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    JCF - It should be cooler in Scotland, I travel up to do a race there in August every year and so far have escaped scorching weather.

Anyway, don't panic about your race, whatever you do will be a PB, so enjoy it.