Options

Friday 21st May

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wires crossed folks. I meant 40 mins easy each day for the next week.

Also lots of press ups and sit ups type activities to keep me interested.

Good luck racers
  • Options
    Hello all

What: 7m + 3m as per usual
    Why: plodding along as patiently as I can

Good luck weekend racers. I might do a 10k on Monday night, but feeling a bit tired this week and recent 10k reports by tired runners may just have done enough to scare me off.

Am not speed training until July, so should probably avoid any measured races to avoid disappointment.

Will post my race report next week when temptation inevitably gets the better of me!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: Hadd Test
    Why: To measure improvement
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: Tuesday

All times are in mile paces(i'm not that quick as each rep is 2400metres) 90 sec rest between each HR

15 April session HRM played silly buggers so times were a bit way off the mark

HR-Dec14-22Jan-15April
    140-11:43-10:58-9:51
    150-10:52-10:10-9:17
    160-10:13-9:30-7:35
    170-9:30-8:56-6:51
    180-9:40-9:00-8:08

Today
    140-10:04- very relaxing run for hours at this pace
    150- 9:24- still very easy
    160- 8:41- Haha i knew last hadd test HR's were a bit wide of the
    mark, but still keeping it aerobic
    170- 8:12 - Hahahaha Definetly wide off the mark last time, breathing
    becoming more pronounced, but i know i can keep this up for at least
    5k in competition
    180- 8:06 pace according to Garmin but only for 1.4 miles according
    to Garmin, was during the end of the 5th lap breathing was heavy and
    the most violent stitch i've ever experienced looked at HRM
    186bpm!!!!!, highest i've ever seen, have had stitch a few times in the past but not many thankfully, have tried to run through it even if it meant slowing pace
    a tad this did no good had to stop, even then took a half a lap
    walking for it to finally go.

Overall happy, disappointed that sub 7 minute mile was not on the
    card, but hey something for the future.
    But disregarding 180, i am 44-54 secs per mile quicker at the
    different HR's since Jan 22. Might not sound a lot but it's a step in
    the right direction.
  • Options
    What; 10 miles ish in 1h20
    Why; that is what the plan says
    Last hard; Still sundays walk
    Last rest; Monday

decided to leave the car at work and run home along the river to make up the 10 miles, will run in to get the said vehicle, if the chavs have left the tyres on it, the short way in the morning for my 5 mile recovery.
    Got soaked to the pants for the second day running so had to speed up a bit to keep warm.
    I have never kept to a plan for this long before and it is only day 5.
  • Options
    BR, you didn't fool me :-)

Plum, lovely & sunny here!

Finished work early [again] so put in another easy run before my massage, to get my monies worth :-)

• Options
    Evening

Nice report there Pammie and well done!

What: 1 mile swim this morning and core stability work

pm: 9 miles running with new toy the Garmin Forerunner ( what an amazing bit of equipment )

Why: Tri and marathon training

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last Rest: Saturday

Time to get wasted!!!!
  • Options
    Well done Pammie, your hard work is showing rewards.
  • Options
    Hi
    First timer here
    What: Rest day
    Why: Try to rest one day each week......resting on Fridat hopefully gived good legs for long run on Saturday.
    Last Hard:Thursday Speed Endurance
    3 mins@5:39 3 mins easy x 8 on treadmill.
    Felt good which augers well for some good racing in near future.
  • Options
    Welcome martin,
    easing yourself in with a rest day I see!

£27 for a 30min session on my back, I need a lie down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back feels good though

& the click's were unbeliveable, think my spine was one long bone.

should run faster now! yippeee :-)
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Cycled 13.3 miles to work and 13.3 miles back

was great apart from the 11 hours in between.

still non smoking

rest now or gentle run/swim session tomorrow before Sundays Triathlon
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Thanks Venom - and Plummy stick with it man - you're doing well
  • Options
    What: am (very, very am :() 12 miles cycle, 5 x 2 min pieces with 1 min rests, 5k piece (rowing - on the water not the gym)
    Why: less than a week till bumps
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: ummm . . .

Sounds like there's a fair few injuries/niggles around at the moment. Please take care! :)I took a chunk out of my finger today on the sax-board which is b****y painful but sadly rather less than heroic :(!

Can't wait till this set of races is over and can do some proper running again, get into training for Cardiff - I feel a bit of a fraud at the moment - thanks for putting up with me.

Zilla - well done.
  • Options
    What? 6m AM / 10m PM
    Why? Pump up the volume
    Last hard? Yesterday
    Last rest? Saturday

Pammie - Well done! Nothing beats consistency.
  • Options
    Godzilla, your doing well too by the sounds of things!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What - rest
    WHy - tapering, not sure whether to do WHite Peak or not, got a problem with top of right leg/buttock - feels like a trapped nerve kind of thing, also not really run for 3 months other than once a week for 5-8 miles due to dodgy knee.

But I was doing a lot prior to this - not sure how long fitness lasts - anyone ? Thought I might go for 4 hours or something - I need to start some long runs and I've paid already so... What do people think - yes, no, maybe?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening guys.

A frustrating couple of days with my stupid computer that's been riddled with viruses. Anyway I won't bore you with the details!

Good luck those who are racing this weekend-Smashy, Barbara and others!

Hope you did your daughter justic today ne! Hope she had a good run too!

BR-a nice easy week sounds just what you need to recharge the batteries.

I note quite a few niggles about at the moment, so take care and best wishes for speedy recoveries those suffering!

What:total rest day for me today.
    Why:physio and a very busy day with appointments, work and shopping.
    last hard:so long ago.
    last rest:today.

The good news is the physio doesn't want to see me again as she said I'm fine to start running again. The injury is nearly completely better. Physio reckons if I do deep massage myself after each run and just stick to steady running for a week or two there should be no further damage. Running here I come!

Doing a tri on Sunday and will not run until then. Hopefully that will tell me how it will cope with running next week'w 1/2M!
  • Options
    Hilly...fingers & toes crossed for you. But is Sunday's triathlon what the physio meant by gradually easing back into it?

Zilla...keep it up

Pammie...good hard work

BR...you didn't fool me

Stickless, and the others on the physio couch....OUCH! You know that it's doing you good. I almost feel enthused to get some preventive battering booked.

Actual rest for me today. Carbo loading.
    I fancy a long run in the morning, the first decent one since London. Anyone care to join me?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    First Tri Hilly?
  • Options
    Ill join you blisters

its not long till Potts

and today was my third rest day this week
    :(((((((
  • Options
    Evening All

Hilly good luck in sundays tri

Zilla keep it up

Plum 5 days on the trot - well done mate

BR glad to see you are taking an easy week

What: 10 miles easy am, 25 miles off road cycle pm
    Why: Friday

Have a good weekend everyone

• Options
    Evening all,

What: 14.5 miles steady in just under 2 hours with legs quite sore from yesterday's race.

Why: Midweek longish run which I held back until after race

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest day: 26 days

Well done Pammie - sounds like good progress

Treadmill - are you planning on REALLY stepping up the training next week?

URR - you asked re what was on the shelf at moment - new job not leaving too much time for reading so am still with the train hard run easy book. But got a few back copies of marathon and beyond magazine which has some very interesting articles on Lydiard/Snell etc in.

Simon
  • Options
    evening all

great effort Pammie
    keep at it Plum & Godzilla
    Popsider - sounds v similar to my niggle - tight piriformis irritating sciatic nerve.

so after some debate, decided to do my 5 mile double loop circuit, running 8 efforts of ~1/3rd mile (actually, varying between 520 and 580m) trying to hit what on a track would be 80 seconds per lap pace (i.e. 5m/s). Recoveries would involve jogging the same length.
    A long time (over a year) since I last tried to run at around this speed....
    ...here's what happened...

1) 540m in 1:49 - 1s outside target. Struggling & feeling very clumsy
    540 jog recovery in 2:28
    2) 530 in 1:47 - just outside again & not feeling good
    540 jog recovery in 2:36
    3) 570m in 2:01 - oh sh*t - have turned onto the prom and have misjudged the wind direction which is diagonally against. Straining against the wind and getting nowhere
    510 jog recovery in 2:40 & feeling v demoralised
    4) 540m in 1:55 - still hammering into the breeze & getting nowhere. I'm now back at the point where I started, and
    540 recovery jog in a well p*ssed off 2:56 takes me round the block back to the same point again, ready to do a second lap....just as I'm about to start the next effort, think "f*** that for a game of soldiers" and decide to run the second lap anticlockwise instead....
    5) 580m in 1:56 - now that's more like it! Much more relaxed with the wind at my back, and it's almost as if my legs have had to learn how to run at this speed. So pleased, I run further than I intended...
    460m recovery in 2:14
    6) 570m in 1:56 - Again the form is much better but legs are starting to feel tired
    540 recovery in 2:52
    7) 540m in 1:49½ - into the wind inland is less of a problem and the form more or less holds for the duration of the effort
    540 recovery in 2:46½
    8) 540m in 1:52 - a last weary effort & that God that's over

Overall time for the 5 miles: 33:39

Was very surprised at how difficult I found it to run at this pace over the first few efforts. Even allowing for the wind on efforts 3 and 4 I was straining hard. It's almost as if the nervous system had lost the co-ordination required to hit and maintain the necessary legspeed and had to learn it over again, literally, on the hoof.

Must try this session again - and make sure the wind isn't a problem.
  • Options
    Lyrics were `Old Man', Neil Young.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Mike, yes I thought it may have something to do with the sciatic nerve, haven't really looked in any of the books yet but when I get back from holiday if it is still troubling me I may get back to you to see if the symptoms are similar and what the solutions are.

Neil Young, Dylan, Billy Bragg...BR you are a man of taste.