Options

Sunday 23rd May

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon All,

Barbara, brilliant going at White Peak, great run.

Popsider, sounds like a difficult decision, but you made the right choice - glad you enjoyed the run regardless + congrats to Alison.

Aardvark, cracking run mate, nice one.

NE, must be fab to win a race, well done.

Hippo, that's a great performance.

Hilly, Zilla, M sounds like you all had a really enjoyable time at the Salisbury Tri, great stuff.

URR, you're really going from strength to strength.

Lizzy B, really sorry to hear that, hope you recover really soon.

Lynne W, well done on your sub-60 clocking, great stuff.

I did the Derby 10k this morning. Beautiful day, good turnout (~1500). First race post-London, was a bit dissapointed to end up with 36:46. Course is a good city centre route but is quite 'twisty-turny'. Well at least I know what needs doing between now and the Amsterdam marathon on 17 October ;-)

• Options
    Well done "triathletes"

Well done "racers"

WP, you have plenty of time to get the long runs in!

LizzyB, sorry about the ankle, did you ever get your bread or was it peas!

Lady Lucan, glad you enjoy it & got what you wanted.

MM, have enterd Amsterdam today, along with my sister & brother-in-law. So I've a lot of marathon running to think about :-)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hilly, Godzilla & M, congrats on your multi-skills, it seems like you all enjoyed the experience.

NE.. you can only beat who turns up, 1st is 1st! And well done to your young'un too.

Another brave effort Hippo, you've earnt yourself a drink.

URR.. cracking time for XC conditions, you seem to be improving all the time.

LynneW.. a 10K PB in very warm conditions, splendid stuff.

MM.. like me perhaps still finding your rhythym post-FLM. Still a decent time, you can only get faster in the next month or so.

Good track sesh form Donaldo.

Me.. 10 miles steady, 10K race coming up on Tuesday.

Saw a rather bizarre sight today. Having heard the sound of bagpipes part way through my run, the source of this particular noise was spotted down a quiet cart track off the main road. A chap blowing merrily away on his favoured instrument in total isolation. Banished from the household perhaps?

Is this a tradition in Scotland Donaldo?
  • Options
    lol Wardi - I dont know about that. When I used to play the pipes as a schoolboy, I was often "asked" by my parents to practice up in a field behind the house, instead of at the front door. Perhaps the chap you saw today enjoys the sound of the pipes in total isolation - but more likely you are right and his wife probably told to get out or she'd stick the pipes up his ........

Lynne" - great news on your pb - well done.

marmite - good going. Another quality 10K to add to the crop.
  • Options
    Thanks for good wishes all - completely doped up on nurofen and arnica at the moment (the arnica was taken after discovering a lovely lot of bruises on my other leg). And Big Tim - I did buy the bread in the end, I never leave a job unfinshed! Luckily our freezer contains more gel ice packs than food so I didn't need the peas!

Lynne W - jolly well done on you pb

Marmite Master - I've done some of my worst ever perfomances at the Derby 10k, and the same is true for a lot of other runners I know. I think there is some weird extra gravity about in Derby that makes everyone run more slowly. Anyway, 36.46 is still a good time, even if it's not what you wanted.

URR - another excellent performance, whatever you are on, I wish it was catching!
  • Options
    almost forgot

you know the fish from finding nemo that keeps singing "just keep swimming, just keep swimming"

well half way up the biggest hill on the furzefield course i can hear in my head "just keep spinning, just keep spinning"

i'm pretty sure that cycling just isn't that good for me ;-)
  • Options
    Evening All

Well done Zilla the Trimaster on your race today

M I see you are still showing Zilla the way home.

Hilly glad to see you back out racing and enjoying your Tri today

URR congratulations on another pb

Lizzy I hope your ankle recovers quickly

Lynne congratulations on your pb

Big Tim nice negative split run

NE well done on your WIN shame about this afternoons race and a brilliant run by Niamh

Hippo great race

MM, Wardi, Aardvark and Donaldo great runs

Lady Lucan well done on your run at Copenhagen.

Two Ton I am happy you are out running more know and getting your fitness back.

What: 15 miles off road hilly run followed by 62 miles of mainly off road cycling on Mountain Bike with friend
    Why: Training for Duathlon

I hope everybody has had a great day in the sun today and is recovering in the way they enjoy
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Lizzie
    I am sorry to hear of your accident you do get a lot of things happening to you! Hope you are feeling ok and not in pain.

Well done Barbara, Hilly,M.,Zilla,Hippo , Lynne and MM sorry if I have missed anyone;-)

Totally in awe of the triathletes really huge congrats you all must be so pleased how it went.

Lots of fantastic training going on well done everyone!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hello, Long time no post n'all that...

Well done NE on race win, as others post above you can only beat who turns up so well done :o)

Had a mad racing weekend that somehow all came good on both days... so much so I want to share it with others:

Sat: Whitepeak half

Beautiful Day, beautiful course, 1h23m39s - not sure where it came from, but that is what I was threatening to do all spring so was well chuffed :o)

Will revisit yesterdays thread to read some reports on this, but well done to all who took part in advance.

Sun: Derby 10k

Another beautiful day, legs sore from Sat, but what the heck, a good friend has turned out to see me run (after hearing hours of stories about races), so I'll try my best to put in a solid run.

38 mins later one very happy finisher :o) Off the back of the half the day before can have no complaints with sub 40.

Felt well fuelled for both races, and managed to pace both runs well.

Gonna take an 'end of spring' race break now, which may seem mad as I have finally made progress, but just feel a step back is in order after a hectic 4 months racing/training.

:o)

Andy
  • Options
    Lynne well done

Lizzy--you needed a rest anyeay though didnt you?

hope the ankle is better soon

most of my race was on road, apart from the last 2k, of which i walked one k
    back from gym to support mr hippo--he has just joined
    a very painful 3 miles on tready, and some weights

Im pooped
  • Options
    Well done to all racers today. Watched some of Manchester on the tele. Might be worth a trip to visit my parents next year and have a go.

Very encouraged today. Have had a week of really poor runs. I now realise that I've had some kind of virus or something. Had a sore throat, but no real symptoms other than a complete lack of energy. Just back from 7.5 miles in an hour, which is more like normal pace. And it felt really easy!!!!

That's more like it.
  • Options
    Well done Lynne and M

Get well soon Lizzy.

Pushed the boat out and ran 46 mins today - pleased with 6:59 m/m for ave HR of 144 (with a few stops).

Managed to ignore the bad angel on my shoulder going `it's only another 3.5 to make it 10':)
  • Options
    top quote BR
    "Managed to ignore the bad angel on my shoulder going `it's only another 3.5 to make it 10':)"
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Re - bagpipes, i have occassionally heard bagpipes on my runs well twice in a year, love it usually in a park lovely inspiring sound (then i am weird) nothing like your own band playing as you run.

Lynne well done on your pb especially as it was so warm today.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Well done all the triathletes and racers.

what: 17.5 miles in 2 hours 15 including 20km with club in the middle in 90 mins. Legs very very tired though after Thursdays race and Fridays 14.5 miles. Total of 73 miles for week which marks another week high after injury and four godd weeks all above 60 miles behind me. Will drop mileage next week.

why: Longish run building up for October marathon and to build up fitness.

Last hard: Friday

Last rest day: 28 days

Simon
  • Options
    rene' - two superb performances - well done.
  • Options
    URR, that sub 35 on a flat road course is tantalisingly within reach. I wouldn't be surprised if you do what I did and miss out the 34.xxs altogether and end up with a high 33.

Two good races RF.

Simon, looking very strong.

Angelis, the bad angel came back to pick up his car keys having done another 3.5 in 6:07 m/m!!
  • Options
    BR - My plan is simply to continue training and race as much as possible. You can only learn in competition, even if it hurts. The speedwork is quite new, I am doing Tue 400s (basic speed) and Thu 2k (for 10k specific). Can't find the time to do the treadmill session anymore. Wed is a long run (25km), so you do Thu session on lower glycogen stores. Not brilliant times in the session but it will pay off I believe, in addition getting close 70mpw again (66 this week). That's at least how I understand it.
  • Options
    Well done to Hilly, M and Godzilla on the triathlons.

Excellent PB on that course RHB, glad somebody else lost their legs after that last descent!

Good run Hippo, sounds like a tough one.

Lynne, must have taken some doing to get a pb in that race and with the heat as well, brilliant! That sub 2 half is getting closer.

NE and Niamh, congrats for yesterday.

LizzyB, ouch! Hope you recover soon.

WP, hope you are feeling better soon, plenty of time to get those long runs in.

SGQ, glad to hear you are feeling better.

Simon you certainly seem to have recovered from your injury layoff!
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Derby 10k, like last year hot on the heels of a Silverstone PB and hoping for further improvement, however, at 45:15 despite being nearly 3 mins faster than last year, was still a minute outside PB. Weather was great, warm but not a factor. I think the numerous sharp turns were important, as was conegstion with 1500 runners. Must mention the wobbly footbridge that seemed to be bouncing up as my feet came down, it was only short but made me feel distinctly unsteady. Race timed by chip in the number, worked very well - good job since finish line clock was u/s.

Low mileage week with some golf and a Hadd test.

Run well all
  • Options
    evening all

just been thru the thread

lots of great performances - too many to mention - but enjoyed the triathletes' stories.

Cracking double RF, and another quality performance from URR.

Sounds like a happy Hippo, despite those hills - so well done.

NE - not surprised you backed out of the 1500 after what had gone before. Well done on the win - and congrats to the NElette also.

been a perfect spring day here. "May the 23rd" was the title of one of Edward Thomas's finest poems - must have been inspired by a day like this.

Early on: 3 miles or so of undulating heathland with Matt - in 22:40. That took another 1 minute 28 off his PB for the course and most certainly wasn't the easy outing I was looking for.....told him if he breaks 22 minutes, we'll take a longer route thereafter.
    11:30 - 9.3 miles in 68:45. Pleasant outing in the sunshine.

• Options
    Blimey, so much going on, someone will get missed out.
    NE- well done on the win, there's no feeling like coming first.
    Benz- well done on your off road race too
    M, Zilla and Hilly, brilliant times, especially with chain coming off nightmares (had similar on my long bike today) I am desperate to get competing, and totally jealous, never mind have Geel Duathlon next week.
    Barbara and Stickless- seems like the injuries might be behind you, know what its like to "test" things out on a trot accross the car park or to post a letter.
    Lizzy- what terrible luck hope the ice sorts it out. I have a lovely bloodshot eye from a gardening mishap trying to remove some mile a minute that had lived up to its name and was taking over next doors boiler vent and wheelie bins when it poked me in the eye.

Well today was my long bike, except it wasn't as long as I planned due to me being late out so Derek decided to go in the car to the meet up point, which knocked 10 miles or so off in total so ended up 44.25 miles, had a scary time on a twisty descent when my back wheel threatened to go, and a couple of times ended up on the wrong side of the road, but all in all a good day think we were averaging around 17mph, went all over but eneded up by Emley Moor mast to those who know the area.

My problem now is that I have got to pack my bike in its bike bag for transporting to Belgium, I have instructions but am really scared of taking off the back wheel- have visions of destoying my derrailleur, have to pack blocks of wood here and there and it all sounds really complicated for a non mechanic like me. Do you think if I pestered the guys at the bike shop they would show me how its done without too much piss taking. The advantage of learning now is that a) I am going on the ferry so won't have the worry of mishandling by the airline and b) with this being a team thing there is a bike mechanic on hand at the race. I should be fine then for Austria having practiced for Geel.
  • Options
    Ran my 2nd 10km race today since my long lay-off. Did 1 minute 5 secs quicker than last month, but I also feel better in the legs this time. Hope you don't mind me sharing this but I feel quietly pleased.
  • Options
    Well done Bod!

Welcome and well done to EM, you've every right to be pleased!

Monique, any news on Jersey?
  • Options
    Well done Ernie, and so many congratulations to all those racers, triathletes, cyclists and the like. I see that the grade has increased recently to include winners...so the Moet goes to NE.

Lizzy B....What can we say? It's not the first time is it? And you wanted to go out and climb some grade V crag no doubt. Personally I quite fancy that slab in the picture on the right --->

But I'll probably go and do a gentle 4 mile jog. Racing Monday night.
  • Options
    Evening all - haven't really had a chance to read the threads properly yet.

Yesterday - Southern Men's League - clashed with the BMC race at Solihul where athletes from my team ran a 1:52.2 800m, 3 guys under 3:47 for 1500 and a 9:09 steeplechase.
    So with these guys missing I had to do the 800m. 6 weeks after a marathon. Ouch. Through the bell in 63/64 felt ok, and I was up contesting the lead at 600 (probably in 95/6) but the rest of them managed to open up whilst i could just buckle and came home in 2:08.2 - not even a p.b. despite not having raced the event since being a senior!
    Won the B string 3k chase later on with an un-special 10:27 but was hardly going flat out.

Today: Session 6 sets of (500-300-200) on grass with 1 minute jog between the reps and 2 mind between sets. after the first set ran barefoot and felt ok - the 500s were in about 88s, the 300s in 52s and the 200s in 31/32s.
    Then spent the afternoon on the beach in Bournemouth, and went swimming in the sea!
  • Options
    Well done all racers and triathletes!

Hippo, what a great race!

Lizzy, I am very sorry. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • Options
    hippo did carp
    But hippo loved the race
    Lovely marshalls

Stourbridge stumble on june 12th
    totally off road
  • Options
    bod
    why wont you post in base trainig
    we need to know someone is doing ok, and need the benfit of your wisdom
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    rhb - you must have been the guy I was talking to after the White Peak half! I didn't know your real name so I had no idea it was you. Congratulations on the 10k today - a 6m jog took me 53 minutes this morning, so much respect for racing again and running a good time.