Options

Sunday 23rd May

Morning

No point going to bed to rest up for a 40 mins runs is there?:)

What: 6 miles easy

Why: recovery from stupidity

Last hard: Weds

Last rest: 8 days

Race well everyone

Comments

• Options
    Are you saying that you do a 6 mile run easily in 40 minutes at midnight+07 BR?

I'm off to bed after making flapjacks + watching the late film.
  • Options
    what: Furzefield tri
    why: i have no idea

currently trying to force some breakfast down and get the bike rack fitted to the car.

i'm a touch on the nervous side and can't find my stopwatch!
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    It's probably on the kitchen table - where are my socks?
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Oh i'm wearing them - ok see you there M.
  • Options
    Morning,

Try hard, Tri-athlete's :-)

What: 17M steady, am
    Lovley & sunny here but looks a bit cold so will wait a while!

Why: Training for Amsterdam marathon [again!]

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: 8 day's
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 8K in 43 mins
    Why: Thats what Comrades schedule says
    Last HArd: Friday
    Last Rest: Yesterday

According to the Comrades schedule today is supposed to be a time trial! sounds more like a jog to me.

Big Tim Amsterdam isn't until October, 5 months training ?
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck Zilla,M.,Hilly and any other racers today!!

What: Hopingto run a 20 miler today in prep for marathon training.

Why:Cardiff marathon training begins next week

Last hard:can't even remember it has been so long;-)

Last rest Yesterday

Happy running out there today!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning!

What: no watch, run as you feel sort of recovery run.

Why:Check everything is in working order after yesterday. No stiffness, just a few tender spots on my feet from the descents.

Good luck Godzilla, M and Hilly and any other racers.

Good luck with your 20 miler WP.

Beautiful day out there, just starting to warm up.
  • Options
    Morning all. Good luck M, Zilla, hilly and all racers.

What: gentle 2 miles down the towpath to see if I can cadge a cup of tea of my mate David who lives on a houseboat
    Why: yesterday's run turned out to be 6 miles rather than 4.5 (gulp)
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    Morning all

Well done to Barbara and Aardvark yesterday- great efforts on a tough course.

Good luck for today M and Hilly. Hilly, I may well see you later as I'm planning go and see a couple of mates who're in the Salisbury Tri this morning.

Yesterday was a mixed day................

Had a 9.15 start for my 2.3K off-road race so not much time to hang around. Supposed to be a "fun run" but knowing myclubmates it'll be as competitive as any other race!

Lined up on the front row and headed off with a group of 5 that was down to 3 within 200m. A female who I'd never seen before was really stretching us out running far faster that I'd normally go. Couldn't decide if she was an elite who I didn't know about or just someone without no pacing sense so I went with her just in case!

Once we hit the first hill she started to tire and the other guy had dropped off so I moved into a lead of about 50m and started to think about preserving energy for my races in the afternoon. Took it fairly easy for a couple of minutes only to hear footsteps getting closer! Some other guy was starting to gain so I better make an effort over the last K! As we enter the field with the line in sight I had about 30m on him and I just have to run past the screaming crowd of about 400 kids and parents and cross the line in 1st to be instantly interviewed by local radio but an too sh*gged to say anything of interest!

Nice to get my first ever win even though it's a hardly a "high profile" race!

Shortly afterwards Niamh ran her first ever race in the under 9's category over 1900m. Tried to follow her progress at the start but soon lost her amongst a swarm of 200 other girls. 10 mins later the leaders appeared at the top of the field and I'm pretty sure I recognise her running style amongst them! YES......it's her :o) She made it over the line in 6th out of over 200 and told me afterwards she had to go back to pick up her hat at one point cos it'd blown off!!!

Got much more of a buzz from Niamh's performance than my own :o)

Onto Abingdon for the afternoon and the less said the better. Planned to do the 5000/1500m double. Legs still felt tired from the morning and never really got into it in the 5000m. First lap was on target but then dropped off a averaged 2-3 secs/lap slower than my target time. Ended up running my slowest ever 5K time by 20 secs! Decided not to bother with the 1500m and had a lazy afternoon instead :o)

Planning a long run later if the legs are up to it!

• Options
    Morning all,

Run/bike/swim well (delete as appropriate) Zilla, Hilly and M

NE, its a great feeling when your kids do well :-)

What: 1.5 hours golf (done) then training with the juniors at sunny Whitby late this morning.
    Why: Cos its Sunday
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Lovely out early this morning

• Options
    Good luck racers

don't push too hard WP!

What: Double outing (rowing) ~ 4 hrs in total
    Why: last hard for my crew before races next week / filling in for 2nd VIII
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: think it was last sunday.

All the days are blurring into one big mass of lycra, pliers and lucozade and the moment.

Congratulations to NE on you and your daughter's success!
  • Options
    morning!

what: 30k long run

Best of luck to the triathletes!

Have a great day!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What - nothing, well watching Derby 10k then long drive
    Why - Going on holiday !

Have a good week everyone.

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well my 20 miler turned into 13 miles I was feeling queezy, and decided to stop at 13 miles no real need to do a 20 miler this early especially when I was feeling under the weather and don't want to bring back any niggles "softly softly catch ye monkey"

Tested out my MP3 player and it was great so on one arm my GPS system and on other the MP3 player;-)it was a lot easier to go running when it was just the HR moniter;-)

Well done NE and Niamh such a good feeling when the young ones do so well!!

Barbara hope the run went well sounds sheer bliss

Popsider enjoy your holiday!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Good running NE + Niamh.

What: 6m easy
    Why: legs a little stiff
    Last rest: 8 days

Enjoy the sunshine!
  • Options
    DD, I know 21 weeks, actually 20 as it's not supposed to start until next weekend!
    But after missing most of last week decided to change a few thng's around :-)

NE, watch out or your little excile will be beating you soon ;-)

17M done & dusted!
    out in 63:32 av pace 7:27, which is about what I wanted.
    back in 59:57 av pace 7:02, which was spot on what I wanted.

very happy as it all felt so comfortable.

• Options
    Will do 10K race just for fun. First run since marathon last Sunday.
  • Options
    LL, I did ask earlier in the week how did you get on???
  • Options
    Good I think. Thanks Tim x
    4hrs 18. I wasn't pushing myself too hard because I wanted to be sure of finishing and I wanted to enjoy it as well. Both goals achieved and I was sort of aiming for below 4:20 so happy with the time as well. I might even do another one but at the moment I can't face the thought of the training!
  • Options
    NE - you and others on this board are some machines. The very thought of racing more than once a day scares the heck out of me. I always take the day off the day before the race and wouldnt dream of even jogging the same morning. Its strange how different our routines all are.

Today, I'm going to the local track. I had Friday off as my rest day, got totally blootered on Friday night, was forced to take Saturday off as my hangover never left me and since its only 3 weeks till Edinburgh, I'm doing no more long stuff, so I'm just gonna mess around doing fast bits and slow bits. I might do a 3000m track race this Friday and I have a 10K trail race next Sunday so I'm gonna keep the quality up and stuff the quantity. I'm rambling here.

Good luck to all racers today! See you all later :D
  • Options
    Morning

Good running NE and a big well done to Niamh as well!

Hope the 3 tri'ers do well today - wait for the reports!

Monique hope the bike session goes well!

BT good long run in before marathon training starts!

What: 70k hilly cycle 2hrs 30 mins and a 3 mile run in 22:04

Actually felt pretty good on the bike - today time was not important just bum on seat kinda ride, positives for me was no lower back ache which I can get often and second road ride with my carnac shoes which felt good over the distance, also concentrating on pushing and pulling with pedal action.

Managed to get 52kph down one hill which was just fantastic but had to be careful due to country roads and there z bends!

On way back saw loads of cyclists 50/60 so alot of hi's and mornings to be said

Why: Tri training

Last Hard: Todays hills were not easy

Last Rest: 8 days

Back later to read reports

• Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

What: 1hour45 easy run @ 7 - 7.30 m/m

Yesterday: steady 6.5 miles @ 6 m/m

Last hard: Thursday

Last rest: Friday.

2 weeks to my next race. 1500, 3000 & 400 on the track.
  • Options
    Huge 'well done's' to Barbara, Aaardvark, NE, Alison and everyone else I've missed. Comiserations to Popsider, hope the bike ride made up for it.

M., Godzilla, Hilly, good luck in your triathlons! Cycle well!

What: Not sure, back is really sore, and have a weird pain in my left leg which may be related. Think I've overdone the cycling a bit recently (is that possible?) so I think a long swim and a shorter run, just to completely destroy what is left of my back. Then a play with my saddle position.
    Last hard: hill reps on the bike yesterday, preceded by reps in the pool.
    Last rest: Last Monday

• Options
    race Report
    Cobra Classic 14k, Hagley

Phew that was HARD

First 5 k o so downhill--whee hee, almost 10 min mileing----shot through 5k in 30.20

and then there was a HILL

I was wheezing just walking up it, the loclal kids were all laughing at me
    Thought i was fit-pah!

another equally bad hill at 6k

Now im knackered

run a bit, walk a bit
    9k-----I hear" Hello Dr Benzimra"
    its only a nurse from Coronary Care in my hospital

I need Coronary care myself!

Hit 10k in 66.36---oh, thats not too bad really, considereing how much ive walked

at 12k, sharp turn onto a tiny little track, and a slow surreptitious climb to the obelisk

At this point my legs didnt even want to walk(should have had brekkie)
    i stopped twice for a breather

lovely views
    Then down a grassy track for the home stretch

i dont know how fell runners do it, rundown hills like that
    Home in 1.39.28
    Considering i walked at LEAST 2 k, not half bad
    great marshals, lovley little plate at the end too
    Ill be back

• Options
    Well done Hippo- sounds like a good event!

Thanks for the congrats for yesterday :o)

Just back from watching the Salisbury Tri- saw Hilly come over the finishing line looking in good shape after her recent injuries. First Tri I've been too and a really enjoyable morning- might have to start working on my swimming!

Donaldo: I don't make a habit of racing more than once a day and after yesterday it'll be a while before I do it again!

• Options
    Hi everyone.

Going to skegness today, setting off in 10 minutes so il do wome beach running there i think. About an hours worth while the missus is sunbathing. I love the smell of roast beef on the beach. (Just kidding).

Dont want to do too much before my race on wednesday. Been doing alot of hard sessions so im gonna just get the miles in now regadless of speed etc.

What: 1hr easy on beach. About 9 miles or so.

Why: Sundays' meant to be long run day.

Last Hard: Thursday

Last Rest: 26 days

Look forward to reading some 'good' reports later.

Chiow.

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Well done yesterday to Barbara & Aardvark in the half.

Tough luck, Popsider, but well done to Alison.

Congrats on the win, NE - should have rested on your laurels. You know that you are only as good as your last race
    ;-)

Well done this morning, Hipps.

What: comfortable 10 miles (same yesterday). Best run for some time, hardly noticed my troublesome achilles. May try to squeeze another 10 in later to celebrate.
    Why: trying to get back into it.
    Last hard: 30.11.03
    Last rest: 36 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hello friends!

Excellent training going on and a beautiful day!

Well done ne on your win, that's really good and well done to Niamh! I'm sorry I didn't stay around too long I came back after my shower, but you'd gone-but nice to see you again!

Well done Hippo, you seem to have enjoyed today's race!

LL-well done on your marathon time and doing a race only a week later!

Ok, today was Salisbury tri as you all now know!:o) The distances were supposed to be 400m swim, 22/19/18 bike ride (was given 3 different distances!)and 5.5 miles run. Firstly apart from the swim all the other distances were inaccurate. The bike was measured at about 18.5 miles the run was a little over 4 miles.

Left the house at an ungodly hour of 5am to pick friend up. Arrived in plenty of time and did all the prep stuff that needed to be done. Watched my friend swim and felt rather sick with nerves. I've not really trained properly for this and with no running this week I was thinking, should I be here!

In a lane with 3 others and I'm off on wave 3. 50m's into the swim and a tap on my foot to allow the guy behind to pass. He passes and I catch up the girl in fromt and tap her foot. We all settle and now seem to be in the right pecking order. 200m and I swallow a bit too much water causing me to choke a little, get to the end of the lap and have to stop briefly to cough up the pool. Off again and ok now, before I know it the lap marker tells me 2 to go and I thinking thank goodness as I'm feeling like a jelly fish! Getting out the pool was a laugh as it was the deep end and quite a wide low wall to try and scramble over-all those press-ups came in handy!

Out of the pool, feeling quite anaerobic as I run to the T1 for my bike. Take a few deep breaths and a drink before grabbing helmet, feet into bike shoes, bike off rack, and jog out of the area to the mount zone. Feet into cleats first time-relief! Out onto the cycle route and try to settle down and concentrate on what I'm doing. The bike course was very hilly and twisty and in my eyes quite technical. You needed to be good with your gears as it was constant changing up and down. I'm not very good with my gears being new to cycling and I made my chain come off!:o( Sh*T off the bike, chain on at the bottom of a hill and on again.
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the support guys - really appreciated -

Race report Furzefield Tri

5am the alarm goes off and I lean over and turn it off - it was one of those days that you wake 5 mins before the alarm.

grab kit, munch cereal, disappoint dogs (no biscuits), rescue bike from plastic cover and I'm on my way. Arrive for registration bang on time for opening

meet M. & then hang around half an hour - race briefing delayed

Jump in the swim first group to go - had said i'd be 25 mins and that was looking just reachable last week - on the day 20.41 in the pool - really really chuffed

Just under five mins in t1 getting sorted and then off on the bike - tough hilly course - rough roads sharp bends - bugger of a hill - de-chained at one point at top of largest hill and fortunately unclipped and got foot down before gravity took hold.

Rusty II performed well but needs grease - could hear ball bearings going round and large creaking noises etc etc got left for dead by about 3 guys on road bikes right at the start of the cycle route, but overtook about 4 riders on the way round and didn't see them again. Overall 50 mins on bike route - not bad since it felt long - but a road bike is needed as that was going flat out.

t2 was about 1min20 so off with bike shoes into trainers and gone

except someone stole my legs and replaced them with something else

an evil genius also found a really massive hill and put it on the run course - not good - struggled round in 30-31 mins

Overall time 1h47ish -

The swimming is going to get better because I was trying to put all things right but it was a bit messy

the running was poor but i'd put everything into the bike so hopefully - with the advent of Rusty III - I may put paid to the bike and run slowness.

Loved it - booked another online for later in the year. - One thing - candy and will - no bloody Ironman for me - you must be insane.