Options

4 July race reports

Comments

• Options
    And I have Malcolms as well which makes for reading from someone who does nothing but train, his will follow as well. I know how you are enjoying reading them and hopefully making your minds up .... for good or bad. ;-)
  • Options
    YES!!!

I don't think anybody has any illusions about how hard it is, but we should show all sides of it (and I'm sure that Big Nick promised me a report too!)
  • Options
    LOL - malcolm's report would be something like 'the gun went off, i got to the finish line, i'm an IronGod, the end'
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    How many lengths of a 20m pool does the swim work out at?

[Nessie covers eyes with paws, but peeps out through a teensy gap for the answer]
  • Options
    I think you're very brave to even consider it, Nessie!
  • Options
    yes please nick. i'm seriously considering this for next year but am slower than all you lot (fight you for the firework display nessie!)
  • Options
    (its definitely less than 200 nessie)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think you're lying M, but thanks.

I'm *good* at being last. I've *won* things for being last.
  • Options
    190 lengths.

The race I did on Saturday had a 4k swim (200lengths) and the general consensus looking at the times was that the course was about 300 metres too long (an additional 15 lengths!!)

Whatever, it was a s*dding long way for a one lap swim!

• Options
    nessie

its 190 lengths of 20 metres. except its much much much easier swimming in a tri-wetsuit, and drafting (assuming you dont get lost)
  • Options
    LOL at Richard. i'm just glad we don't actually have to do the swim in a pool! 200 lengths of a 25m pool for the 5k swimathon this year. i have never been so bored in my entire life!
  • Options
    How many peeps did you have to follow Candy ? Was it a very small field ?
  • Options
    OK, Malcs first to just show the difference and a few good pointers on pace and nutrition.

I would like to echo Chris's thanks for the kind words of encouragement and
    praise, I definitely was different class throwing up into the toilet while
    Chris was comatose!

Fortunately the event went very well for me although the onset of cramp in
    my hamstring at 24 miles into the run had a sub 10 finish in doubt until I
    was on the carpet for the final 20m!

I had a good swim (warm lake), seemed to find a good line without too much
    bumping and barging although it got a bit tasty around the turn buoys. The
    course comprised a 2k out and back, a short run across the 'beach' then back
    in for a 1k loop which brought you into a canal (nice and clean) for the
    last 800m with spectators lining the bank. 1:04 and very satisfied.
  • Options
    The bike was 3 laps, with a hilly section which got more challenging each
    time round, felt almost Tour de France like with all the names painted on
    the road and one particularly well supported section. Paced the bike by
    heart rate, increasing the effort each lap from low to medium to high end
    aerobic zone. Last lap was slower but I felt fairly strong and passed quite
    a lot, including Mr Rose who had a fantastic swim, and popped up at the side
    of the road after a pee stop early into the third lap. Off the bike in 5:15
    and onto the run with 3:35 to beat to go sub 10. So I felt I was in with a
    shout.

• Options
    The run was an out and back twice course, virtually flat with some shade. It
    was pretty hot by now but I felt good, nutrition had gone well on the bike
    (i.e. managed to get plenty of fuel down without major stomach trauma). The
    gel I was using on the run (Squeezy) gave me stitch so I ditched that and
    stuck to fluids. Markers every Km helped monitor pace (keeping under 5min
    k's) and although slowing slightly I managed to keep running, even through
    the aid stations. Switched to coke and water for the second half and carried
    on until at 38K exactly, my left hamstring cramped suddenly. I have had this
    before, so I stopped immediately, stretched it out and started jogging very
    gingerly, I had some salted pretzel type sticks in my pocket so I got what
    salt I could from them and drank some electrolyte drink at the next aid
    station and fortunately I made it to the finish without further problems.
    9:51:35 and never again.....except next year I move up an age group!! 17th
    in age group, 140th overall, 1700 finishers.

• Options
    bloomin' 'eck. Both to the race report and earlier comments.

190 lengths is a hell of a long way. I can do about 60 before I die, and that's 20 warm-up and 20 warm-down, with only 20 hard!

As for the bike - well, I've just spent 10 mins sitting on it in my hall, using the banisters for balance whilst I tried to get the shoes on and off - and I think I'll be doing 2x30 min shoe sessions for the next motnh before I even get the bike out of the house :-(

So that leaves the run. Well, 5 people did finish behind me at Bewl 15 on Sunday, so there's a possibility I might not actually be last.

Hohoho.

(however, there's always that niggling thought that 18 months ago I thought walking 6 miles was impossible, 16 months ago a 10k was impossible, a year ago a 1/2 was impossible... never say never!)

(but equally, never say yes to men you don't know!)
  • Options
    You have been warned, Nessie close your eyes !
  • Options
    The day started early with a 4:00 breakfast and then onto transition to sort out a last minute problem with my back brake. Neither myself nor Malc (the Irish contingent called him the tall tin man!) were able to resolve the sticking cable so I resigned myself to biking without a rear brake. For someone with an extreme fear of going fast down hill, this was a big deal and added to the stress I had now put myself under. Looking on the bright side my cold had been getting better by the day and my shoulder seemed ok. I was ready(ish)!
  • Options
    Posted again for those in doubt…

I am hoping to complete an Ironman distance event in 10 days time (if all goes to plan I should be home in around 14-15hours).

12 months ago I was a couch potato, weighed just under 16 stone, couldn’t swim front crawl, had not ridden a bike since my teens and was just about capable of running 2 miles in 20 minutes.

In my view given good advice, a little dedication and a bit of flexibility to meet the training commitments anyone can train for and complete an Ironman within 12 months from a base of nothing. This if course assumes you are reasonably healthy.
  • Options
    I joined the other 2000+ athletes on the shore of Lake Klagenfort and listened to the priest reading his sermon, willing a safe return for all. I wondered if he'd have a word with the big guy to have a look at my bike, but before I knew it, the cheerleaders had stopped shaking their pom poms and I was off on the 2.4 miles swim.
    The first part of the swim was very bumpy. With 2000 swimmers heading for the same buoy 800 metres from shore, numerous clashes were inevitable. I was losing my patience with those around me but tried hard to focus on my own swim. There was a lot of pushing and shoving and then without warning clear water. I suddenly realised this was because I had gone too wide at the first turn. I hope the underwater photographers got me on film. At least I could swim ok now. I returned to shore for quick run, before heading out on the final 1900 metres. Next buoy and I found out that they were made of metal and not plastic as my hand crashed against it. That's gonna hurt in the morning I thought! The final 800 metres of the swim were along a canal. It was here that most supporters had gathered. I was actually enjoying the swim and felt strong with plenty of energy. I exited in 1 hour 20 mins, right on target.
  • Options
    In to transition and I picked up my run bag and emptied it onto the floor before realising it should have been my bike bag. Doh!
    Onto the bike; a chance to recover from the swim and start hydrating and eating. The course itself was excellent. It was a mixture of rolling roads along the lake then a series of climbs through the mountains before descending back to the town of Klagenfurt. This was to be done three times (112 miles). I was passed by quite a number of cyclists on the first lap, but my plan was to go steady and try and reserve something for the latter stages. The largest climb was up a 10% hill (Rupertiberg). It was here that the crowds were most vocal and intimate. Only a couple of feet away there were screams of hup hup hup, Super, hero etc etc. The support gave a real buzz and the first two laps the hills passed without too much effort. I was also able to descend ok, as the hills weren't technical at all. Thank goodness! Come the third lap I was beginning to slow a little and my 18 mph average became closer to 17mph, but I was overtaking many of those who had passed me earlier. I was also becoming a little saddle sore!
  • Options
    The final hill which I had climbed so easily hours before had now become a real maul as I passed someone walking up the hill with their bike. As I recovered after the hills I coughed and spluttered; a gentle reminder that my cold was still lurking around. Anyway I completed the bike in 6 hours 29 mins which again was right on target.
  • Options
    Onto the run and two laps on an out and back course. 26.2 miles to go. It now felt very hot and temperatures were up to 30 degrees. I went through the first 10k in an hour and felt ok. I was happy not to push the pace as I took my time through the sunbathing area of the park. My only concern at this point was the sun. I was burning and beginning to feel sore. The next 10 k went pretty much to plan too. I was still consuming gels and drinking well. I passed Malc, Nick and Mark on the course, high fiving as we cheered each other on. As I approached 20k I looked at my watch and thought a 4:30 marathon was on. My mind turned to a 12:30 finish. I felt great with enough energy to see me through.
  • Options
    My god what was that? At 21k I suddenly got stomach cramp and pulled up. I vomited as I tried to get a drink down. How quickly an ironman run can change. I spent the next 20k, run / walking and then shuffling. No matter how hard I wanted to go, I just couldn't move any faster. The sun beat down, my shoulder hurt, my feet hurt, my kidneys hurt, I felt disorientated, but most worryingly I was struggling to get my breath………but I was still moving, unlike some of those I saw collapsed, receiving medical attention. I got very little down me during this time. A mouthful of coke or water here and there was all I could muster. In fact I began to feel quite despondant as I made my way through the town. Every so often a supporter would direct their support at me and I responded with a token effort of a run. I knew I would finish even if I had to crawl on my hands and knees, but it was just taking so long.
  • Options
    Finally I got to 39k and was damned if I was going to let anyone see me walk. Fists clenched, teeth biting hard I pushed and pushed as hard as I could go. The crowds responded to this effort and all of a sudden I found myself passing people again. I was running on empty but the finish was in sight. I turned onto the final straight. I wanted to milk the crowds but there was nothing left at all. I heard Nick cheering me on from the stadium, and acknowledged he was there.
    I crossed the finish line in 13 hours 29 mins. The last effort left me with nothing. I fell to the floor, unable to get my breath, coughing severley. I was wrapped in blankets and carried to the medical tent. I declined an HV drip, but had heart rate etc monitored. 20 mins later and it was still at 120. I was eventually allowed to leave. Euphoric at finishing I wasn't. All I wanted to do was return to my hotel and lie down. It has now taken a few days to recover. All considering, I feel very proud of completing this race when for some time I wasn't sure I would even start it. 140 miles of swimming biking and running in 30 degrees of heat is ludicrous and makes me appreciative of what fine athletes Nick and Malc are finishing in times near to 10 hours. Austria was a great trip and I was lucky enough to hang around with a great bunch of people. Never say never again, but I will give it some serious thought before committing again.
    Thanks for your support!
    Finished in 13:29:11. Place 1458 out of 2000ish.

p.s. Has anyone got an application for marathon de sables?
  • Options
    Well done Nick, all your endeavours are so inspiring.
  • Options
    Carl, best of luck, I will be on the bike feed station at the Tern Hill roundabout with the rest of Chester Tri helpers, give us a shout of 'Rosey' as you come thru.

Have a good race.

If anyone else is around that area then come down to support, its a small race in comparison to an international IM but it still needs good vocal support. We will be on the bike loop at Tern Hill.
  • Options
    Hello Nick, some serious race reports at last.
    Totally correct about not trying anything new for race day- hence cutting my lip on my drinks straw, but it was only a fleshwound so got away with it.
    I did not steal those flowers they appeared in my hands and I seemed to have two while dancing to the Weather Girls but then had lost them again by the time I was cavorting to Bryan Adams, there really should be a mumble facility on these forums, I am quite ashamed.
  • Options
    Nick and Monique, i hope you've both managed to stay out of those dodgy tattoo parlours.