Options

Great South Run

Anyone doing the Great South Run? I received my number yesterday (383) so spent an anxious half hour ringing round hotels to find one with space. Managed to find one in the end, near the start/finish area so hopeuflly no problems on the day.
I'm hoping for good weather to try and break 70 minutes and set a PB.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I'll be there along with a whole load of other forumites. Not received my number yet but I've no worries about accomodation this year, my brother's just bought a house about 1.5 miles from the start - just right for a gentle walk/jog warm up:)
  • Options
    Yeah I'm doing the Great South Run, it'll be the longest run I've done and I am very nervous about it indeed! I booked my accomodation ages ago when I entered and panicked and booked a Travelodge room, God knows where it is in relation to the start! I've been mostly training in the gym on the treadmill but shall be going along to the club runs at the Serpentine Running Club as from this week, to do some longer runs and pick up some tips etc. I've only started running in April and have so far run a 5k and a 10k and hope to complete the 10m run within 1 1/2 hours. I haven't recevied my number yet though.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Me too!

My first 10miler which I'm using as a test to see if I'll make the Windsor half marathon OK Quite nervous about it but also very excited. No number as yet.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I'm in it but haven't received the number yet, What time does it start? , I've checked the application form but it doesn't say anywhere what time we k.o.
  • Options
    Hi all, heres a current list of us running this races of our RWFRC site

Murf
    snoop dogg
    Lyn
    Fozzie
    TinaD
    jacqueline
    Homer Hart
    Blue Knees
    Dangly Spice
    nuts
    Dustin

Haven't got my number yet and not sure about start time yet Dustin. Theres a good picture of the Yateley finishing line on their site if you're interested

Dangley, got your photo and will sort it out imminently. Sorry off work yesterday

• Options
    Dustin

I think last year the start was 0930 though in fact it was delayed by about 15mins because of the number of people, (including some elites) caught up in the horrendous traffic.

See you there:)
  • Options
    Dangly

I've emailed you your picture. Awaiting the nod before sending it back
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm doing this one too. Haven't got my number yet, but I'm sure it won't be long now. I'm travelling on the morning with friends from my club, should take us about 1 1/3 hrs to get there.

Not sure what time I'm aiming for in the race, it will depend on what my training and the few races I've planned before hand indicate.
  • Options
    Will be good to meet you Hilly.

Jacqueline, are still running this. No sign of you at Yateley or on the forums
  • Options
    Murf - you were lucky to only be delayed 15 minutes last year. I've done this one several times and allowed the usual amount of time. Then it was nose to tail all through Southsea and gridlocked on the seafront. In the end because I know it a bit round there I doubled back, parked and ran a couple of miles to the start as a warm-up!! Literally just made it by the original start time only to find they had had to delay it. They've promised improvements this year - lets hope so!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks BK, hope we all do get to say hello.

I've noticed a few people missing off the forum lately. Maybe they're enjoying wonderful holidays?
  • Options
    Start time for the 10 miler is 11 am.
    There's a Mini south run and a Junior GSR starting at 9 and 9.30 am. Wheelchairs go off at 10.50 am. Roads will be closed from 9.30 am. There's also an aerobic warmup session at 10.20 for those who need it.
    Kym - 383
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Number this morning 4473 and is indeed 11am kick off. Hoping to get a spot near the front and with a bit of luck and a follwing wind could set a pb,although I remain unsure whether it's possible in a shorter crowded event.Still should be a good day.
    Hope to see a few of you there.
  • Options
    Me and hubby (Fozzie) will be there, havent received our number yet though. We have accommodation booked about 10mins from start. I think I may be using it as a warm up to the Windsor Half, so hopefully see you all there aswell.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Let's just hope runners line up in their correct start lines, it would make life a lot easier and ease the need for weaving in and out of runners.

I feel quite strongly that sometimes runners try to start too near the front and then after a couple of miles are walking-this shows they should not have started there!
  • Options
    I still have no number through, is anyone else still waiting?
  • Options
    Mine arrived yesterday, several days after some other peoples so don't worry yet.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm doing it too - got my number yesterday. I live along the coast in Sussex so decided based upon feedback that easier to get the train. Couple of questions though (a) what time should I aim to get there - the literature said 9.30am I think which seems a little early (b) How far is it from Portsmouth train station to the start..and bearing in mind my awful sense of direction is there going to be any signs pointing to the starting area? Should be a good tempo run in prep for Dublin 'thon at end of Oct. Thats the plan anyway!
  • Options
    Get off at Portsmouth and Southsea and not Portsmouth Harbour. Head to the Guildhall which you can see from the station and carry on in that direction. You will be on the front in about 15 minutes. You can probably just follow everyone else and theres bound to be signs

Where in Sussex. I used to live in Chichester
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Bit further east down in the Brighton area. Cheers.Ian
  • Options
    If anyone knows Portsmouth (and sounds like some of you do), do you know how far the Travelodge is from the start? Am I a miles away?
  • Options
    P.S. My picture is so distorted, my face is never that fat!
  • Options
    Do you have an address for the travel lodge. Send me an e-mail if you want your face resizing
  • Options
    I'm doing it aswell.

I am aimimg for around 1hr 20m.
    Anyone else got the same time in mind?

I am also from Sussex (Burgess Hill)

Right there seems to be a few of us going - where are we going to meet before/after the race?

Is anyone still waiting for their URWFRC vest to arrive, I sent mine back about a month ago and am still waiting, they told me about three weeks ago that it was being done, can anyone chase this up, can't remember who the Kit secretary is since The Lamb stood down, desperately want to wear it for GSR.
  • Options
    I believe the Lamb is carrying on until this last order is sorted and the DogWalker takes over
  • Options
    The Travelodge adress is

Kingston Crescent, Darfield Road, North End, Portsmouth,
    PO2 8AB

Actually I had a few wines lunchtime, so maybe the distortion is my slightly drunken state! (Still it's quietened my cough down:))

I'm hoping to complete it within 1 1/2 hours, but with this cough and no training this week I'd be lucky.
  • Options
    I'm afraid that's not walking distance Caz. Best driving down to Southsea from there.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the best place to park? Still haven't got my number either.
  • Options
    I reckon somewhere at the bottom of the eastern road near the marine museum but that's only a guess as i've not run this race before. If anyone knows better I'd love to know as well