Options

Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I did Camberley last year and enjoyed it a lot, in spite of the hill (which is hills really as it's a two lap course).

A smidge crowded at the start but no real problems after that. They even did sponges, which is my first experience of them, and made me feel like a serious runner!
  • Options
    If you do this EP let me know about the hills - I hate hills as I cannot run up them yet (ever?).

Maybe I could destroy my application form....
  • Options
    have entered, but if i find an alternative on the same date i will do that. it was unbeleiveabley crowded last year and they did get it badly wrong on the logistics front

i'll let you guys tell me that they've sorted it - or failing that i'll see you there!
  • Options
    WWR, we will meet at last....possibly.

EP, Rivermead, Caversham, Reading Bridge, Duke Street, Kendrick, University, Whitley, A33, Southampton Street, Oxford Road, Tilehurst Road, Prospect Park, Oxford Road, Cow Lane Bridges, Finish.

Hills aren't that bad FionaH, go for it
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    May do reading for the 'experience' thing.
    But in terms of pure racing I'll be doing Camberley again - nothing special,but well organised and easy for parking, plus pbs in the last 2 years means it must be lucky for me!
  • Options
    Finally sent my entry in yesterday after having a good debate on the Hastings 1/2 thread. Will be my first 1/2 as well so now looking forward to it as well as trying to ignore the usual nerves.
    E.P. Let us know what the hills are like from the view of a fellow newbie(ish).
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got their entry fee cashed from a credit card so far? I am starting to think, that the royal mail lost my letter.
  • Options
    Judging by the look of www.readinghalfmarathon.co.uk I think they just haven't got their systems working yet and all our posted forms are in a pile waiting to be dealt with. But that's just my guess.
  • Options
    Email notification only.
  • Options
    me neither.Hope Im in
  • Options
    gonna phone them soon I think
    Off for tea now, speak later
    Will try to find redheads training prog and E mail you
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    So, they cashed my credit card yesterday. This means, I have my second race for my 2003 calendar (and also career).
  • Options
    I'd recommend Reading. I did it last year. It was the first race I'd ever entered, and enjoyed the size of the event. Yes, there was a lot of confusion at the start because of the huge queues of people waiting to drop off their bags in the sports hall. The organisers seemed to seriously underestimate the numbers. But it got sorted in the end, and the race got off about 15 minutes late. No big deal.

There are one or two hills, but nothing too bad.

I'd recommend the event to anyone, particularly those running FLM for the first time, and/or who haven't taken part in a big race before. The excitement and the scale of it does give you some useful preparation for the FLM. But do get there in good time, and if possible, leave your gear in the car or with your supporters.

It's all town-based, and quite well-supported.

Best of all however, was that the T-shirt and the medal were the best I've received from any other of the 6 or so UK events I've done since. (You have to pay for the T-shirt; all finishers get the medal). The FLM medal is a particularly horrible object - but don't get me started on that one...

I'll be doing Reading again this year, especially as now it's my home town.

Andy
  • Options
    Applied on-line the other day. Won't be able to join in any race eve pasta party cos I'm only coming from Epsom so will be driving down on the day.
  • Options
    Where's Ninos, and is it any good? I'm always on the lookout for good eating recommendations.

Andy
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Is Reading a race, which I can make in a one day journey from London, or Do I have to think about accomondation?
  • Options
    Lars
    You can drive there and back easily, however some of us are staying overnight to have a get together.