Options

Mens Olympic Marathon

Comments

• Options
    "{hohum, no one reads my posts}" - no one can be expected to read all of them Dodge :)
  • Options
    Wayfarer, I can understand your post's point, and agree that for us watching a marathon, to get overly worked up about it is pointless. A strong reaction (if probably overstated in the heat of the moment) from forumites and commentators is understandable though out of empathy for De Lima, for whom leading an Olympic marathon is 'real life', and the high point of a professional life that requires a lot more than just 9-5 and then do what you like. I can understand the strength of reaction from the commentary team, because they can both associate with what it would have been like for them if they had been in a position of chasing Olympic gold and had they're chance ruined by an idiot like that. I'd have been fuming and wanting to do unimaginable things to the guilty party if I'd been assaulted when leading a local 5k, so for a guy leading the Olympic marathon, it is a truly horrible thing to happen, and definitely real life.
  • Options
    Can't belive that the police/marshalls didn't spot the so and so sooner - he came accross the road - Thankfully the crowd sorted him out
    what a shame - Lima may not have won as he was slowing - but we will never know
    Think the protester should be made to run a marathon in the same heat as Paula's run - with a cattle prod behind him to make sure he doesn't pull out to see how it feels!
  • Options
    The guy in 20th place is 49!!!

Wonder if he gets a voucher for his category?

http://www.athens2004.com/en/AthleticsMen/results?rsc=ATM099101&frag=ATM099101_C73K
  • Options
    br, there's hope for us all in Beijing then
  • Options
    Does he get entry under good for age?
  • Options
    45!?!

no point the drugs testers bothering there, unless Sanatogen is on the banned list

:)

20th fastest at the Olympics, impressive stuff.
  • Options
    Maybe I should keep on training until 2008, not a single chap from my native Germany qualified for the marathon, 10k and 5k.
  • Options
    49 Dodge. Do you not read peoples' posts?:)
  • Options
    URR, and the East Germans used to do so well in the 1970s and 1980s. Any ideas why?
  • Options
    As far as I know Waldemar Cierpinski (1976,1980) was a result of East Germany's systematic doping programme. However, the East Germans had a useful system to get young people involved in athletics and identify talented athletes.
  • Options
    they should lock him in a room with radcliffe and make him listen to her whining, no thats too strong just use the cattle prod.
  • Options
    The Finns and Kiwis were good back in the 70's, Lasse Viren, Rod Dixon, Dick Quax. Where are there distance runners now?
  • Options
    Who's been the outstanding athlete of these Games for you then? Or the one(s) who has/have done way better than what was expected of them?

A lot of people talk of M Phelps. I didn't watch much of the swimming (not really my sport) so can't really approve of disapprove of that.

I haven't watched everything else either but I think I'll go for Deena KASTOR for coming 3rd in the womens marathon. I never heard of her before as nobody mentioned her beforehand as a possible medallist. Moreover, she achieved a season's best in THOSE conditions.

A bit like the feat that T Morris achieved at the FLM.
  • Options
    A lot of people (at least) on letsrun.com say that American long distance running *****. Well, they got a silver and bronze medal in the marathon. Really a big suprise.

I think Kelly Holmes and Hicham El Gerrouj have been outstanding.
  • Options
    kelly holmes , although gerrouj deserves it all as well. was the american silver an adopted athlete or was he a genuine yank.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bradley Wiggins - 3 medals for GB in 1 games. The Madison Bronze after a crash was truly inspirational
  • Options
    Keflezighi was born in Eritrea, but moved to the US in 1987 and took citizenship in 1998. So he is not as much a pretend American as some of the other athletes out there are pretending for other countries.
  • Options
    Sorry - been busy tonight, but I'd just like to add my voice to the kick the drunken priest fella where it hurts. What a **** !

(wonder if we could get him to try and interrupt the rifle shooting next time ? Or yachting. I'm guessing he doesn't walk on water.)
  • Options
    El Guerrouj is outstanding athlete for me, the 1500/5000 should be a near impossible double, and racing Bekele and Kipchoge he also did it against some truly great rivals.
    Agree with honourable mentions for Wiggins, Holmes and Phelps. Baldini's performance should be given a heck of a lot of credit as well, in an era when Europeans win few top marathons of any description, never mind the Olympic marathon.
  • Options
    Shame the F1 boys didn't run him over at Silverstone. took a while for the TV to catch up on who he was - you don't forget that costume in a hurry - i took one look and remembered the sight of the pratt running down an F1 track
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Likewise, thought EGs 5k win was the performance of the games - at least in the bits I watched - and he beat a guy that appeared unbeatable after the 10k.

Bradley Wiggins also because he beat a top rider for his gold - and of course Holmes' double was fantastic - and when I saw that about 9 of the first 10 in the 1500 ran a pb (pretty sure it was a pb - maybe a sb if not) that shows what a win it was.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Kelly Holmes and El G for their double gold wins.

Deena Kastor for her brave run from the back of the marathon-however I rated her before this marathon as she finished 4th I think in FLM and I read an article on her about how hard she was training for this.
  • Options
    I remember that Deena Kastor paced two younger runners for 20m in last year's New York City marathon. She was hoping to help them to qualify for the US trails.

For Team GB, I thought Amir Khan the 17 year old finalist is worth mentioning. He had to fight the double Olympic champion and 3x world champion and actually didn't looked too bad!

Back to the marathon. Both races were very interesting to watch. There seems to be two camps of runners. There are the championship type runners, like Baldini, Jon Brown, Ndereba and Noguchi. On the other end there are the flat course fast runners like Tergat, Khannouchi, Radcliffe, though they all seem to struggle in big events.
  • Options
    Getting a holiday in Athens was probably part of his punishment from the English court. And if the Greeks punish him too much our beloved Government will soon be on their backs.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Wayfarer - Deena Kastor used to be called Deena Drossin, and has been pretty successful in big marathons before.

• Options
    "There seems to be two camps of runners."

I think you've confused them with the walkers.
  • Options
    OK, so DK has been around a bit but I still don't think anyone gave her a chance.

Holmes: I am not surprised that she did well, given that she had an injury-free season (unlike her main rivals). This is not to say that that hers is not a big achievement.

El Guerrouj: obviously not surprised at all that he won the 1500. Quite surprised that he beat Kebele in the 5000. Speaking of which, I was a little disappointed with that race. Based on what happened in Paris last year, I thought there'd be real fireworks in this one. I didn't quite understand Kebele's strategy, as I thought he should have gone earlier. Unless the 10000 really took a lot out of him and he just couldn't do it.

Talking of disappointments, I thought Asafa Powell could have made the 100m race even better than it was. Not quite sure what happened in the final (Too nervous? Too much pressure?). Felt even more disappointed that he dropped out of the 200 final (unless he was injured, which I don't think he was). For 2 reasons: (1) you don't suddenly lose form in the space of a few days (he was flying in the early rounds of the 100). (2) he should have had a go anyway - he just deprived someone from being in the final, who would have given their all to win it.