Giving up drink

Comments

• No you're not! Ha! Still here!
  • GRRRRRRRR
  • ok not nice.... I confess.
  • Sorry Non Drinking Ian!
  • Yes mate.. apologies.. Snicks made us do it.
  • If that's as scary as you get I wish you were my headmaster - Now that does sound scary. I'm nice too, honest (eh, Jon!)... And now I really must go!
  • Me too, gone!
  • Just re read. Oh, we all got confused! You said, sarcy, not scary, didn't you Barks. How did the LEA come out well in that article? I'm confused. Did I mention them? Can't remember. Oh, well, sorry you didn't get pay rise etc...

• they like a metion anywhere... basking in reflected glory...
  • Day two: still dry. 363 to go.
  • I might try to join you again! After this weekend!!!
  • Oh no!!!! I'm not even going there. Give up drinking? I'd rather see r*ngers win the league. On second thoughts...
  • Good luck Ian
    Tried unsuccessfully when training for FLM 2001 although cut back considerably and felt much better. Might give it a go after Xmas again since FLM 2003 is looming

(She says, planning housewarming party for new year.....)
  • Ian you can do it. I find it's the first few days that are the hardest especially if you drink a bottle of wine a night like me!!!

Once you're over that you can get satisfaction in sitting watching everybody else making a fool of themselves when pissed.

Makes you feel kinda superior being sober!

Am I really a control freak?
  • Hi Ian,

Best of luck mate wiyh your quest and I hope you get to NY.

I had been stopped drinking for 2 years and I felt fantastic and I thought I would just have the one, well here I am back drinking again, I keep giving up every month but only last a few weeks, allthough I dont drink nowhere near as much now as I used to, which is good,
    so watch how you go and dont give in.

All the best, Gaz...............

• Ian
    all the best mate, well done on taking the hardest step, we'll be rooting for you
    Nick
  • Well, I just seen a thread about giving up drink and I thought "why would anyone want to do that"? Then I went back and read the original post. Ian, I take my hat off to you mate. It's an admirable thing to do (not to mention bloody hard - at least it is if you're from the Buckfast republic like me ha, ha).

All the best mate.
  • I admire you
    Ive done many things in my life, but dont think i could do that
    Good luck
  • Ian

How's day 3?
  • keep it going mate. you may find it hard to start with, but your body will love you for it.try and drink a couple of litres of water a day, it worked for me.keep a bottle of water in the fridge, as it is more refreshing ice cold. it works as a good substitute for beer. i managed to stop drinking for 4 and half months last year, and only gave in to the call of guiness in the summer.
  • I'm touched by the support. Thank you. Day 3 is fine. Tuesday was potentially dangerous being club night. I got all the usual stuff, 'oh yeah, we'll see how long that lasts!' But, I've adopted the strategy I used for my 1st marathon and the London to Brighton race. I told everybody about it so I couldn't wimp out. Bouyed up by your support I'm going out for a run, even though it is dark and damp outside. Cheers mates!
  • I thinks your strategy is great (I'm using the same one to get me round FLM 2004)
  • Ian, hpoe youre ok:)
  • Wish I had your will-power! Made a huge Sunday lunch today for friends, started drinking red wine around 1pm, haven't stopped yet!
  • Yo Ironwolf, enjoy (sorry Ian)
  • Ian
    How was the first weekend?
  • The first weekend was very hard - harder even than a club night, and that's hard! Still, I'm doing OK. I think I've lost about half a kilo. My first race since drink zero is on Saturday - XC in Coventry (Birmingham League). So far I've found that the trick is to a. keep busy b. if I really fancy a drink, go for a run instead (I'm too knackered afterwards) and c. go to bed a bit earlier with a good book and d. if there are situations which I know its going to be damn near impossible not to drink (e.g. Stafford Harriers Xmas disco) then just don't go (Stafford Harriers is a drinking club for people with a running problem).
  • well done ian
    Bloody hell youre strong
  • Bloody hell, you go clubbing on Tuesday nights? A person with a life, ooohhhh.... Here's a good alcohol-avoidance strategy - just dance the whole time, and that glass of milk will seem like a rehydration necessity. Soon, all your friends will be doing it too, and with any luck, you'll start a new trend. Then, you'll run a great marathon, start drinking again, while your friends all still think it's cool to drink milk in clubs.

Or, perhaps not...?