Options

Treadmill lovers anyone?

What is the general consensus out there on treadmills?

Personally, I wouldn't have started running if it wasn't because of the treadmills down the gym. We now have our own (works out long term cheaper than gym costs) I've been running for a little over 4 months, I do outside running as well and can do 10k in around 45 mins. 4 months ago, I struggled with 3k.

For all those treadmill loathers out there saying it's not the same as the road because of wind etc. no, it's as hard or as easy as you wish. I agree with general opinion that you shouldn't run on less than 1% incline. But try 3%. That's relentless. Road is easier, even grass. At least on the road if there are uphills you also get downhills to recover. On the treadmill you can have up or less up.

Is my opinion unique in this?

Comments

• Options
    Tready's are horrible!!! They're so uncomfortable, there's no nice view to look at and I always overheat and feel uncomfortable on a tready!!

They're yuckety yuck!!
  • Options
    Our's looks out into our garden and we have a fan. I overheat too and get a dry throat from the fan so I aim it at my legs.

I admit, you've got to have decent music but even so it's hard to stop your mind getting mashed, so I tend not to do longer runs on it. But it's sooooo convenient, especially when it's cold and wet and miserable outside.
  • Options
    Jenney, I haven't used a treadmill for ages but when I did the longest run I would do was three miles and the other thing that I used to do was see how fast I could run 1600M.My best time ever was bang on 6 mins. It would take some doing now though. My personal view is yes they are good for anything up to about an hours worth of long run and for speed work. They are also handy when it's chucking it down and you don't want to run outside. I know what you mean about the inclines too. I was walking up an inclined walking escalator the other day and by the end I was feeling my thighs; I said to myself "I thought you were fit". It does take it out of you.

Stylish
  • Options
    We've got a tready at home too....will use it when weather is just too awful...it is a convenient way of getting a run in...and you are right, you can make it as hard as you like...
  • Options
    I've ran half marathon distance in one hour thirty mins on the treadmills at my gym. Helped get me into running and find them useful for recovering from injury or any other lay-offs to build up fitness without punishing my legs and body on the roads.
  • Options
    Nowt wrong with treadmills. Its just another form of running. I wouldnt want to do it every day but then I wouldnt want to go road-running every day either.

Variety. Spice of life and all that.

Also ideal for anyone not comfortable with running alone in the dark.

• Options
    Used to be dead gainst them but have warmed to them of late as:

a) they're fairly easy on the legs
    b) good for keeping a steady pace
    c) great option when the elements conspire against you.

Helps that my apartment gym has the treadmills overlooking NY harbour :)
  • Options
    I've not got a treadmill at home but i am defo considering buying one in the future, how much did you spend? if you don't mind me asking.

I think running on treadmills as someone said can be as hard or as easy as you like. The only gripe i've got with them is that they can at times be very boring and at the gym i could only run for 20 minutes at the most, maybe twice in a session, tops!!
  • Options
    Interesting all your messages. I thought most people hated them and had quite a snobish attitude towards them as it's not "real" running. On an incline it really does work the legs and shoulders, building up your muscles meaning it will be easier for you outside. I used to hate hills and wind, now I don't mind at all, I'm even getting used to hills, wind and grass! Treadmills are great for tracking progress as it's so controlled and precise. Also getting used to a steady speed and pace and knowing what is feels like.

David, we did a lot of research on treadmills and have got a Trimline T335HR, it's about the best value for money one out there and you should be able to get it online for about £1200. It goes up to 18kph and has an extra long running belt, a firm deck (not bouncy) so more akin to the road. John Lewis have got it so you can test it out there. Definitely recommend it. I've found most of the Lifefitness ones only go up to 16kph and are quite bouncy - not good.

• Options
    i love treadmills, i find it so convienient to go to the gym and run, whack some good tunes on the cd player and run til your heart is content! I always go for the tready that is facing the tv as well, so you can read the subtitles and watch the programme, amazing how fast time goes past quickly.
    I'd say the only problem with them is that they are limited to how long you can spend on them at busy times in the gym, but if you go when it isn't busy you can run forest run!
    I have run outside on several occasions, but i can't find a place with suitable surface that isn't covered in dog pooh, or full of gangs of kids, or long straight and boring!
  • Options
    I don't think many people are snobby about tready's - to be honest I think probably all of us use them from time to time.

If I could plonk a tready outside in the cool (maybe in my garden - but that would look a bit odd!!), I'd happily use one.

Just a thought - the ones at my gym can only be used up to an hour, is this a standard thing with tready's or can you programme them for say, two hours? Just curious.

My sister bought a tready through ebay - she paid about £1200 for hers.
  • Options
    treadmills are great and are a more efficient way of using your time than going out for a run. you can instantly tailor the session to your needs, or simulate terrain that you may not have locally to run on.
    i love em, gonna use one to train for a mountain top marathon finish race next year, last 17km=1650mtrs climb.
    you just cant get that on the roads in england. especially in the south.
  • Options
    at my gym, you can only use the tready for 15mins if people are waiting! Pants i know. But thankfully as i work shifts, i always get to the gym at unpopular hours!
    x
  • Options
    I want to get a treadmill.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a good one, say at a good price (say around £700)
    I did buy one off ebay that was a return, but I had lots of trouble with it, so it is going back.

I want one for bad days (ie snow, strong wind), so that it doesn't stop my fitness.
    I gave up on the gym some time ago, as I hated having to wait to get onto a machine for a run for 10 to 15 minutes.

Any other question: Can you keep treadmills in the garage?
  • Options
    As my nickname suggests I do about 90-95% of my running at my local health club/gym on TM's.

Yes, I know it's really sad!

Especially when having to do the 20+ mile training runs for a marathon! And that there's a whole big & beautiful world out there to explore, but I have a long history of persistant knee problems.

So, training on TM's & any other softer surfaces, offers me my best chance of training for my races & actually making it to the start line pain free!

TTT.
  • Options
    JennyD,

The other good points about TM's - on a less personal note - is that all your running is both accurately measured and at an even and constant pace.
    The latter being a good means of training for 'educating' your body to conserve energy and, for example, avoid setting off too quickly in your races.

TTT.
  • Options
    I have one at home that i seldom use as i find i get bored and just watch the time ticking over! Saying that though in the gym its not too bad cos i can "people watch"! Would definitely prefer them to a rainy/windy run but probably wouldn't spend as much time on them as I would if I'd been running outdoors. nothing wrong with them though.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I love running outside in all weather, but I still enjoy the treadmill. It has it's uses when short of time or coming back from injury or for getting in a second run of the day.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm getting attuned to negative splits, got my 1st 10k road race next weekend, so will just have to see how effective treadmill training has been. I do struggle for long sessions on the treadmill though 10k is my limit, but then I think 10k is my limit full stop. I've never done 10k in one go on the road. I really admire those of you who can do 1/2m or more! We have our treadmill in the conservatory, good view and with all the windows and doors open, it's great, but winter time it might be a bit boring in the dark.

I used to get really peed off in the gym with people hogging the treadmills all night WALKING at 5kph, do any of you find that too?

Mighty K - I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand or recon treadmill, you won't have all the warranties. We just had our Trimline T335 exchanged as it kept slipping and they couldn't fix it, must say, their service has been brilliant and the new machine is great.
  • Options
    Treadmils are great as cardio vascular workouts but shite at strengthening the legs or training for running, but that said you can still get a very hard and tiring workout out of a treadmill.

Its certainly easier to run at a fast pace for a long time on them mind. a 6 min mile on a treader is nothing like a 6 min mile on the road.

Although I dont use gyms normally I do use them when im in a hotel and it has a treadmill just for the novelty factor - I have always wondered how long you would have to be able to run on one with it flat out to break it, some of the ones I have used in hotels sound distinctly distressed after 40 mins wound out as fast as they will go.

• Options
    Jason

What do you mean they're shite for strengthening the legs?!? Try at least 3% incline. They're only cardio vascular workouts at 1% or less. Run at 4 or 5% then tell me they do nothing for your legs! Not only legs but hell on the shoulders too.
  • Options
    I must admit jenny I have never tried the incline function on them - like I said I dont use them that often. Ill bare that in mind next time I use one.

What I meant was they dont strengthen the legs well enough to use them as a sizeable part of your training for running races becuase of the moving belt - you dont have the resistance through the legs that you have when pushing away from a stationary surface - you can hold a fast pace just by picking your feet up, or thats how it feels to me anyway.

Its not half as hard on the legs - which is why you can hold a fast pace for longer periods on a treadmill. Doesnt mean it isnt very tiring and a good workout though, just that to me it seems almost more like skipping than it does running.
  • Options
    Hello treadmill lovers, I also love treadmills. I don't know anyone else in my area that goes out running, so don't fancy being the a lone woman out on the road. Plus when you are in the gym, there's great music and sometimes great views (dependent on which instructor is in).

If you get too tired you can just stop, you don't have to run all the way back home.

I've only been running/stumbling for about 3 months, so I am pretty rubbish at the minute but totally hooked. Three cheers for the treadmill!!!!
  • Options
    Jason, I do some training and speedwork in the park on hilly grass - that's tough, but you know what, I prefer that to 3% incline. At least, outside you have the downhill bits to look forward to. I actually think tarmac is so bouncy now, your shoes provide that, but treadmills can be sapping.

Treadmills are a good training aid, not the whole story, but I don't like wet and cold and dark, so especially in winter, treadmill wins.
  • Options
    Hi Jenny

On Friday I had a bad training session at the gym, I was too tired, lack of food, lack of sleep and all that stuff. I ran on the treadmill for a short while then walked on 8% incline, my legs were burning. I felt that even though I couldn't run for that long I still had a great workout - i'm with you girl!
  • Options
    Hi all

I think from the above comments it is clear that a treadmill can form a very useful part of a running schedule with its consistency of pace, accurate measure of time and speed etc, also the safety/inclement weather factor. I carry out one of my main runs each week (speed session) on a TM.

However, pacewise, as Jason says you can't compare TM's to the road, only compare against themselves. I have tested this (on the TM flat) and found a difference of 2-3 minutes (with a treadmill being faster.)

Jenny i think you are right, a 3% incline would make it very tough, and i am sure provide another type of leg strengthening.

Interestingly Runners World have many times said that to equalise the two types of running the TM should be set at 1% gradient. Does any think that is accurate.

I have just done a 10k on the flat in decent conditions and would be interested to trial a 10k on the running machine at 1%

Bit anorakish s'pose

Doylie

• Options
    Doylie, yes, let us know how your times compare. However, I'm playing safe and sticking with at least 2%. Having got used to that 1% feels like downhill.

This might be interesting - a table of time comparisons between treadmill inclines and road, what the real anoraks reckon. Very interesting that the faster you go it seems the more you have to up the incline to compare it to road. Anyone got any thoughts as to why?

www.trinewbies.com/run_treadmill_chart.asp
  • Options
    Can't answer that one, but interestingly the table shows that the difference in flat road running and treadmill at 1% is only 3 seconds, which kind of adds up to what RW have been saying.

Jenny very interesting site, thank you

Also explains why the person on the other tredmill thread only managed 20 minutes at 2% gradient.

Doylie
  • Options
    Ta for that, Jenny - I had a link for that sort of thing, but it's deceased.

Jason - ideally (by which I mean on a tready which doesn't slow at all when you land your foot), and neglecting flatness/hardness of road etc, the ONLY difference between tready and road is wind resistance. Thus the tready is identical to running on the road with a tailwind equal to your own speed. The idea of the moving belt doing work for you is all in the mind.
  • Options
    Oh yes - the rate of work done moving through air goes as the square of the runner's speed. The rate of work done due to a given gradient is proportional to the runner's speed. Hence the tready gradient needs to increase to 'mimic' higher speeds on the road.

I may have phrased that badly!