Options

Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Options

Muppley - enjoy the Indian Summer while it last.

Of up to Andre school as I forgot to put his trumpet on the bus with him this morning. Had his teacher ring as he was trying to get out the school and come home and get it.

• Options
    oh and now you have just mentioned indian on the day they have their special meal deal!
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
  • Options

Hello!

Room for another newbie? 

I've been incredibly lucky and got a ballot place for 2011 and am still alternating between terrified and ridiculously excited!

I've only been running since December last year but joined lovely running club at the end of April so have done a fair few races with them this year. I did a half marathon in July finishing in 2.20 - it was the very hilly Swanage Half Marathon though so hoping the equivalent flat would have been a bit less!

I'm still trying to decide which charity to support. Swinging between one of the big ones so that I get the finish line support and cheering round the course or going with something a bit closer to my heart - any advice on this very gratefully received!

I'm also as worried about the logistics of it all as the actual race! I'm very rarely in London and have never been there on marathon day so don't know quite what to expect in terms of getting around etc.

Rose. 

• Options
    RoseC - Are you travelling down on Expo and race days or staying in a hotel in London? You can sign up for the RW Support Group nearer the time.
  • Options

I think I'll probably travel up on the saturday and stay saturday night, not sure about Sunday yet. Still trying to work it all out!

What is the RW Support Group?

Rosex

• Options

RW Support Group is organised forum members that are not running VLM.  You sign up near the time by posting on the thread. You will get put into a Team, last year there were 10. You then leave your own goodies at Expo with your forum name and race number on yours goodies. Then you just look out for RW Support Group at Mile 17. 

• Options

Saturday will be the busiest day at Expo, so try getting there early as you don't want to get there after the place closes and then you will not be able to run on the Sunday.

• Options
    whats days are the expo on?
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Welcome RoseC image

I'm hoping to go up on the Thursday.

• Options

Oooo Cinders, just noticed your new avatar image

I don't know, all this worrying about what happens during marathon weekend already.  What will you be like when it comesimage  Having said that, welcome RoseC. You'll get loads of advice on here as well as lots of other non-running gossip and burbleimage

I always try to stay soemewhere near the finish area as it's much easier to get to the start on fresh legs than having to travel across London to your hotel on worn out legs. Haven't booked my hotel yet as they have all jumped on the bandwagon and pushed their prices up on VLM weekend.  I'm even considering travelling up on the day next year, but that will mean catching a 6am train so still thinking about it.  £400+ seems rather a lot of money to spend for Mr L and I to stay over for 2 nights.

Expo days are Wednesday - Saturday.  It's all in the magazine that came with your acceptance letter and you HAVE to go to get your running number, kit back and timing chip.  AND you have to take ID with you to claim your number.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I also think we might drive up on the day, or at least stay on the outskirts of London and then drive in and get dropped off at say, Charing Cross. We have previously stayed on Pall Mall which was fab for the finish as I was back in my room 10 mins after the finish.

Welcome Rose, don't worry about the logistics too far in advance. I think the Expo is on for a few days ahead. I am sure if you have joined a club there will be people there who are doing it or have done it before and they may be able to help with stuff. You can get a nominated person to pick up your number etc if you give them a signed doc etc. As I said, don't worry yet image I am assuming you are in/near Dorset if you did Swanage? 2 or 3 of us on here are from Hampshire.

Unless you really want to do a charity place, I would give it a miss, you don't have to run for a charity image If you do, perhaps a small one close to your heart. You will get enough support around the course without your 'own' charity (as Tracey said RW support is great at mile 17). It is nice to have a place at the end though with food and massage.

There are a number of us 'thread oldies' doing it again this year and we will all meet at the start (God and crowds willing!) and run together for some or all of it, so you will have us lot to help you on image

Love the new avatar Cinders.

Mr TS out again today so think I will make a sarnie and go out on the bike for a long bike ride, nice and gentle though.
  • Options

Just got back from a 3 mile run and it was bliddy hard work.  Legs felt like lead on the way back and I thought I'd never get there.  Anyway, will go to the gym tomorrow and do a little session on the treadie to loosen up and do a few weights and hopefully I'll find it easier again next week when I really start knuckling down.

Edited:

Forgot to say. Realised once I'd set off that I'd only had a bowl of cereal all day cos I forgot to have my lunch.  No wonder it was hard workimage

• Options

Lyndy - it will get easier and you know that. Shame you couldn't get out a bit earlier when it was warms.

I went out the back garden and it was raining.

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Rain here too today!

Sussex Beacon now entered image

• Options
    Cannot do Sussex Beacon as Bernard is working.
  • Options

Me again! Thanks for the welcomes!

Just wanted to clarify that I was only worrying about the logistics as I figured that as most hotels were pretty booked up already I needed to get at least that bit sorted! Although it does all seem rather pricey! Am investigating the idea of staying in Guildford or Farnham or suchlike and travelling in rather than trying to stay centrally. Or the option of the school B&B but my hubbie isn't as keen as me on that!

I would like to run for a charity, everyone keeps asking me who I'm running for and I think it might help spur me on if I know there are £££s to be gained but I'll go the easy option and do it all online! At least I won't have to worry about it that way.

TopSec - I'm just up the road from Swanage - a lot of my running is done out of Swanage as that is where my running club is based. Luckily for me my office just moved to Bournemouth so i'm hoping to get out at lunchtimes on the prom prom prom!  do you ever venture into Dorset for races?

Raining here too this evening..not sure this is what they forecast at all! Wasn't cold though and did a teensy (unplanned!) run with my daughter who is 9 and just starting to express an interest image

Rosex

• Options

Entered Sussex Beacon a couple of weeks ago. So did Roobs image

Night everyone.  Hope my knee feels better tomorrow, my left one is really aching tonight. image

• Options

Morning all.

Rose - that is the thing about big events the hotels like to cash in on as much money as possible, it is the same for Brighton Marathon. Good to hear that your daughter wants to run image

((((Lyndy knee)))) Hope you got a good nights sleep.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Welcome, Rosie. I live in Bournemouth but, unfortunately, I'm no longer running otherwise it would have been nice to try and manage a few runs together!

Love the new avatar, Cinders.

Well run, Lyndy image.

Popped into w*rk for an hour yesterday so that I could catch up on a bit of admin. I'm not able to sit for long enough to keep up with what comes along daily, never mind make inroads into the stuff that had piled up in my absence! I'm trying to keep my hours up to at least half of my ususal ones in the hope that they will continue to pay me if they know I'm making the effort! I know they will eventually have to negotiate a short term, reduced hours, contract and that would not be good financially image. I see the consultant next week so am hoping I'll have a plan soon.

• Options

Morning all

Welcome RoseC and Muppley!

Lyndy - hope you knee feels better today?

Sorry I have not been around much....been another chaotic week! Haven't run this week due to lurgy...need to get 8-10 miler in tomorrw to stand any chance to doing Cardiff half next weekend!

still can't decide whether to take charity place for VLM?image

• Options

Hello all - I used to post in here years ago when I did FLM in 2006  *waves* image- well I'm back again with a place for 2011 - and still trying to get that elusive sub 5  - I 've done a 5.55 Dublin 2005 (bad day in the office!), 5.13 (FLM) 5.15 (Dublin) and 5.17 (Belfast last year) so not much progress LOL!

Is it ok if I hang with you guys? image

• Options
    Hello gingerfurball. I did recognise your name. Welcome home image
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning image

Welcome back GFB image

• Options
    *settles in* - do we have a kettle in here for a cuppa?image
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you again, GFB. Kettle's on, you have brought biccies, havent you?? image
  • Options

Just ready for a cuppa GFB image

Received my Billericay 10k number this morning image

• Options
    Oh yeah - I've brought some nice biccies and also a few bagels and danish - I'm well polite me! image
  • Options

Morning everyone.  Hiya GFB, welcome back image <<<<<Happily sips tea and bikkies>>>>>  Thanks GFB image

Knee's feeling okay today so will pop into the gym this afternoon and have a little plod on the treadie, then do a few weights.  Think I'll drive there and park up rather than run there and back.  At least on the treadie if it gets too much I can just stop.  If I'm running I have to carry on to get myself home.

The plan is (and I know I should NEVER make plans) to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week and have a gym session on Thursday, although I've a feeling that I'll be going up to mum's on Friday so might just take my running kit and have a little joglet on Saturday (if she'll let me get away that is). Haven't told her, and won't be telling her, that I've got a place in VLM next year cos she'll only go on and on and on and on and on about how bad running is for you image

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

*sees there's some tea left so pours a cup*

Sounds a good "plan" Lyndy image