Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Oh wow Pammie, that is some impressive mileage!!! I'm very jealous!!!!

I'm off to the gym now myself - I don't really want to go, but I know I have to. I have excess pounds too - and unfortunately not in my bank account!!!

Keep up the good work!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hello!

Have had a really good week which I wanted to share....

Mon: cycle to work and back (19 miles total)
    Tues: gym trip - didn't really fancy it, but did 30 mins hard on the bike anyway
    Weds: 1 mile on treadmill as warm up to an hour of circuits (really tough class!)
    Thurs: Pyramid swim session - 44 lengths done
    Fri: cycle to work and back
    Sat: 5 mile run
    Sun: cycle/swim/cycle (8miles total on bike - 1 mile swim (8 varying sets of 200m))

Shame about the lack of running, but hoping that I can put that right this week.... plan is:

Mon: Morning run (5-6 miles)
    Tues: rest (very brief cycle in the evening to get to places!)
    Weds: 3mile treadmill and circuits
    Thurs: Swim
    Fri: Run&bike combo in the gym
    Sat: rest (or Fridays session if I don't have time to do it on Friday)
    Sun: Cycle/swim/cycle

I really shouldn't post my aspiratoins though as I never manage to see them through. However, with two rest days planned, it should be possible this time!

I'm really struggling to feel confident with shifting my training to more tri-based work though. I want to run more! But I don't want to neglect the two things I feel less confident in, but the the vicous cycle kicks in and I worry I will lose my running base!

So I am off to develop a training plan up into December. I love making up plans that I never stick to! image

Hope everyone else is doing well

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Sounds good Jen i know wht you mean about posting aspiraations

Good week best of luck this week

Moi?

Monday 4 miles

Tue/wed/thurs 6 miles

Thats it not a good week need to go back to drawing board make a plan to build up miles was a bit knackered from the night shifts we we still have weeks to go and it'll get worse

10km next Sunday plan was to cycle there and back poss 12 miles each way but just not been on the bike either

so this week will be easier so i'm fresh for Sunday then will look at how to build up the mileage

Watching a programme now on S4/C don't understand it but think its highlights of the Snowdonia Marathon Scenery looks stunning though

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Well, I said it would happen! I set out a plan and it goes to pot!

My Thurs & Fri sessions are cancelled because I was going to be away in a hotel with a pool, but it turns out that there isn't really a pool, so I am being grumpy with the hotel booking company and seeing what I can get out of them, but chances are, I'll just be without a pool or gym bike for the planned sessions to happen.

However, if the weather is acceptable then there could be a 5-6 mile run on the cards on Friday morning!

Pammie - cycling 12 miles, running 6, and then cycling another 12.... that's like a bonkers duathlon!!! People pay good money to do a session like that!!!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I'm not on my computer very often these days, but when I am out on my runs I still write updates on the thread in my head! Unfortunately the future isn't quite that advanced yet... but one day, I'm sure....

So this week I managed an 8 mile run, which was only supposed to be 7 miles, but felt quite good regardless. I'm really pleased! So that is my long distance now for a couple of weeks I think. Keep up an 8 miler each week with a couple of 4-5 milers and I'll be happy.

Did a 35 mile bike ride last weekend too. It was at a very leisurely pace though, only the last 10 (when my other two cycling buddies went home!) did I push it really. But I was very pleased with that too. I was hoping for a spinning class yesterday, but the weather meant I didn't fancy getting off my bus for fear of not being able to get on another one! So home I went. Had to walk 2 miles in the snow though, which was very satisfying because I was going faster than all the traffic!

So all good here. Looking forward to my 5k - yike! Next weekend!!! I'm dressing up as Santa and pootling round the park. Time flies, doesn't it?! I don't think any of my friends who said they would do it have actually signed up, and I don't see any evidence of my santa suit arriving either, so I'm wondering what the deal is with that now... hmm..... Gosh - it's a motivator though, having completely forgotten!

How are youall?

• Options

Hi all!

I was only thinking today how I really needed to get myself onto a half-marathon thread on these forums, but I hadn't seen one... obviously I'm blind because lo & behold, it's right here!

...may I join in all the fun now? I'm alright, me.

• Options
    May i join this one too purleease-like Alabama i hadnt found a middle distance thread. having done a few 10ks now,im hoping to do a 15 mile event in march and half in may. need some forumites doing the same to keep yakking along to.....im a good girl- nuff saidimage
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Always happy for new recruits! That 15 miler isn't Benfleet is it?? I seem to recall Pammie being a regular there.

I have a 5k race on Sunday! Yikes!

Did a 4 mile run after 15 miles on the bike at the weekend. All gym based as I am not risking slipping on all the ice round here! Today I did a hard 30 mins on bike and half s mile in the pool. Circuits planned for Wednesday.. long run of 8 miles planned for Thursday.

What training has everyone else got planned??

• Options

Hello there - just a quick pop in as i have to go to bed

Benfleet 15 is in January, my club, it wouldn't be Banbury thats in March, i've done that twice

So welcome to the new recruits

Jen - training gone to pot again just trying to get through minimum mileage until Christmas then life should get settled planning on a 12 days of Christmas challenge which is appealing whether i do it is another thing.

anyhow night all

• Options

Hi everyone, it's good to see the thread revived once more! I've been a bit niggle ridden lately (shins and hamstring) but everything seems to be improving. I've been keeping myself going with easy paced milage and hoping to test out some speedier running next week.

Future plans are to tackle a couple of 10ks in January and Feb and then the Silverstone half in March and Stratford half in May.

Jen - I'm not bothered by the snow or ice, but not so fond of the arctic wind! image 

• Options

hiya, yes im doing the Banbury 15 miler and jax1331, i looked at the stratford half too and think i'll do that too-where is Benfleet?image im an oxford girl

• Options
    Pammie, any tips you have on Banbury essential would be great- i hope to be running for ARC by then-must get my derriere down to club!!
  • Options

Loulabell

Don't know  if you know Banbury well or not but as its in the middle of the chilterns (i believe) that means hills. It has 4 major hills so i would suggest doing some runs that includes long hills not necessarily hill reps but just to get used to running up them.

Long runs essential too Don't know how far you run at present but to get as close to 15 miles if you can think i did a few 15 milers but will have to check my log. Its a good race though

Benfleet is in South Essex near Canvey island totally different to banbury about 14 miles off road along seawall and across the downs being in January it can be seriously muddy. The other mile is on a road

• Options

hi pammie, im an oxfordite, i know Banbury fairly well , its only 25mins away and go there to shop, just dont know the more rural prts where the run may take place. my weekend runs at the mo are 8miles but because i had the intention of doing either this or silverstone i had my head round upping to 10miles and going to 13 by end of feb anyway.

someone did mention the hill(s) so thanks for telling me there are 4!!image good grief , what am i doing??? lol

are you doing this one?

• Options

loulabell

I'm tempted its one of the races i've done that i would like to do again. Did it in 2004 and 2005. 2004 was awful weather high winds and heavy rain which felt worse in the more exposed areas They had snow on the firday which did disappear by the Sunday 2005 was better. Had almost my entire family come to support me

Unfortunately its on my weekend on at work so depends if i can get the time off. But i would like to Its 4 weeks before London Marathon which i'm doing so should fit in fingers crossed

• Options
    keep me updated and i'll tell you how my training goes through all the cold weather!! maybe see you there!!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Ooo, races!!! Sounds like good timing for you there Pammie!

I did circuits last night. The trainer is fantastic, though the sessions seem to have become more about static toning than building and cardio into it too. I struggled a bit on my run this morning (which I admit, I did on a treadmill) - not sure if it was because I was tired, or badly fuelled, or just still in agony from circuits, but when I went over to the matts to stretch, I tried to reach the floor and half way down I got stuck so I just had to drop...!!! image

Have got a double spinning class booked tomorrow after work, and I'll follow that with a swim. Rest on Saturday then and if I'm brave enough, out into the world for a chilly Santa Run on Sunday. Probably less likely to target a sub-25 given the conditions!!! We'll see.

Am pleased with three weeks in a row of 7+ mile runs though (only did 7.5 this morning due to limited time). Hope to keep this up until the New Year when I have my First Chance 10k race in Exeter. Sub-52 would be nice... sub-51 would be better!!!! Again, we'll see.

Ooo - what exciting gadgets and gear is everyone asking for from Santa? I'm hoping for a lap watch so I don't have to count my lengths in the pool ever again!!!!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Woohoooo!

Have had a great week - I'm very excited about everything!!!!

Did my double spin class on Friday - really enjoyed it and glad I did the double as I didn't know what to expect so I didn't push as hard as maybe I could have done - made up for it in the second session though, and then went to do a little 2 mile run just to make sure my legs know what they are for...!

Saturday was a lovely early evening swim. 2k swum, with lots of effort, done in an hour. I'm really happy with that as there was a lot of pausing at the start as I always have problems fitting my goggles to my face.

Then on Sunday I was supposed to have the 5k race, which I did on a treadmill instead. It was hard because there wasn't any fresh air, there wasn't anyone to compete with and time seemed to really drag. I tried to run without seeing the speed, but that was also a distraction (towel on the 'dashboard' kept slipping!). Anyhoo, I managed 25:18, averaging 11.9kph, but I know I did the first 2km at about 11.5kph and when I finished I was doing about 14.5kph. I did put the percentage all the way down too because the indoor setting was so hot and stuffy, I felt it helped to balance out the situation. 

However, I still have no idea on how well I would have done at an outdoors 5k, but I like to think I could have maybe just pipped the 25min mark. Starting to feel that a sub-51 10k is a bit out of reach though.

Plans for the week anyone? Mine are....
    Leg massage today
    Tues: Run (6 miles?)
    Weds: Bike & Circuits
    Thurs: Early morning quick swim
    Fri: Long birthday run (yep! IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!)
    Sat: Bike work - maybe a bodypump class - maybe a bike/run brick
    Sun: Long evening swim

I'm really missing my running miles though. 13.5 done this last week, 14 on the cards next week.... It's not enough to get me my 50min 10k is it?!?!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Pst! I entered a Half Ironman event today! 10th July, here I come!

• Options

am now having dilemmas pammie abot doing the essential 15 at banb.image..due to obvious weather problems and decreased training rns im pondering on switching to do silverstone in march. the problem here is lack of hills to train on -so flat round these ere partsimage

i have seen the set up of silverstone so am familiar with the event procedure etc..

just a tad worried that between now and the 15miler training is seriously hampered-worst of weather yet to come here as well-usually jan/feb like this year when we had foot or so of snowimage

at least with silverstone its 2 miles shorter and flat!!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Loulabell - I'm the same with this ice. I've not run outside for two weeks now. I miss it! I've tried using the treadmill, but I'm finding it very boring indeed. I never used to have a problem on the treadmill, but if I just want to get some miles done, it's the dullest thing in the world!

I'm very pleased with myself today though. Spinning AND circuits class done yesterday. I pushed really hard (though I struggled in spinning as I am still quite new to it - how do people get their legs to move that quickly?!?), and then really pushed in circuits too. Home in time for the apprentice too. Nice.

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hooray!!! No more ice!!!

I did go running on the ice on Friday actually, and suprised myself with sub-11 min miles (!)... and didn't fall over which was perhaps the more surprising feat. 8 miles though, so I was really pleased with that. 1hr22mins. It's a nice little route I have there too. I'll do a few more of those and then I can up it to 9 miles - which is a run home from work. I can't wait to do that!

Anyhooo..... today, 5 miles this morning and no ice at all. Heaven! It wasn't actually that cold either, but by lunch time it was FREEZING!!!!

Did an hour of spin yesterday too which was great, and tomorrow morning it's swim time. Lovely lovely!

Loulabell - decided on 13 or 15 yet?

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Jen - just popped into say congratulations on entering the HIM! Good luck with the training. I am marathon training first and then will have a mad panic about swimming and cycling image !
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

MsE - Hi!!!! Of course - it is all your fault on the HIM malarky, isn't it?!?! image

Millions of snowflakes round these parts. Doesn't look like I'll be going for a run this weekend unless it's on a treadmill (and buses are getting through....) image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Jen - have a good Christmas and hope you fit in some training. I managed a snowy 12 miles on Sunday but it definitely makes for more of a workout on the legs due to the stabilisation required. Somehow the 8 miles on slush was harder going yesterday though! Keep me posted with your news as will I.
  • Options
    hi jevans, i think it may be the 15miler as that is one of the bicester runclubs GP series....ive not been able to run for 2 weeks nearly as the snow here is so bas and im at work all the time. that alone has been challenge enough, getting out of the village is v tricky!!
  • Options
    Just dropping in to wish everyone a good xmas. Looks like we're all having to suffer the snow and ice. This week so far I've managed a 6 mile easy (ish!) run and today did 7 miles with some 10k pace in the snow and slush wearing yaktrax on my trainers. Found it completely exhausting! Hope everyone gets some running done ( and please snow go away image)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I've given up hoping for a run, and while I may be able to manage a swim, I'm so focussed on Christmas now I can't even go there.

I've done a lot of walking in wellies in the snow and slush mind, and I'm noticing that my legs are slowly but surely getting shattered! It's like the effects of a very long run gradually taking effect on me. Weird - but in some ways conforting that I am doing some form of exercise at least.

Can't say I'm expecting great things from my 10k race a week on Sunday now, but if the roads are clear, then all being well I'll give it a shot, if only to support my work colleague who 3 months ago said she couldn't run for toffee and now she's number 14 in the First Chance 10k in Exeter! Whoop!

Jax - you've just reminded me that I have some off road trainers somewhere... I guess they might be worth a shot in these conditions....

Anyhooo.... merry christmas everyone - thanks for the motivation you've provided (and the bike panniers MsE!!)... here's to a fantabulous 2011 (is it just be or does that sound way too futuristic to be real?!).

Jen x

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hello everyone! Whilst my training is very multi-discipline these days, I thought I would share it with you all anyway!

Last week was great - had a 10k race on the sunday (54 minutes, which given how much cheese was in my system, is perfectly acceptable!), various gym trips with bike and run work then on Saturday I cycled to the gym (5miles), did a body pump class, ran round the block (6 miles), had a little swim (very little - 600m) then cycled home. It was LOVELY!!!!

This week I am doing less mixed methods and trying to focus a bit more on each thing.
    Monday was an endurance swim - only half an hour, but I just swam and kept going - 1150m done.
    Today I cycled to work and back - 29 miles done.
    Weds: Circuits and treadmill running
    Thurs: Swim
    Fri: bike / spinning class
    Sat: Long run - 8 miles
    Sun: I might be going ice skating, but hopefully spinning later on in the day too.

Feeling great! Bought some new kit too, which always helps image

Hope everyone is doing well?

• Options

Hi Jen - I was considering whether or not to resurrect the thread, but you beat me to it! Glad your training is going well. I'm still running 30 (ish) miles a week and my next 2 races are a 10k on 6th Feb and then the Silverstone half on 6th March. The 10k is hillier than what I'm used to, so I'm not sure what time I'll manage - but it will be good to do a race before Silverstone.

I've had something odd going on with my ankle (well, top of foot) this week, so I'm icing it and doing stretches and hoping that it's just a niggle and will go away! I've now got an ankle strap, so I'm going to wear it on runs to be on the safe side. What races have you got coming up?