Options

Anyone see the TV programme about Mediums last night?

the scottish guys was scarily accurate. the trainee mediums, especially the guys with the spikey hair was sweating bricks though ---- i'm getting the name jenny or jane, who's thinking of a change of house or career........ how transparent is that!

Comments

• Options
    I saw this, thought it was excellent. Did anyone see the other 2 episodes?

I believe the Scottish guy is genuine. He's more specific than the silly trainee

"i'm seeing a flower on a grave"

It reminded me of the Psychic on Phoenix Nights :o)
  • Options
    Yeah and i think i saw a pig just fly past too

I've seen too many faked medium readings etc. that are scarily accurate with no apparent way of making them so... I mean just look at Seance with Derren Brown
  • Options
    i only saw about the last third of last night's programme. i wish i'd seen it all.

the scottish guy was truly amazing though -he seemed real. unless the people in the audience are plants?

i really don't like people who play on others vulnerability and sorrow to make money.

btw - the scottish guy pulled up to the San Francisco gig in a long black limo. I think they make most of their money through book sales. £12.00 for a slim paperback.

• Options
    Its all nonsense. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves.
  • Options
    I think some of them are genuine, but just because we can do stuff doesn't mean we should.

I think if you mess with supernatural stuff like that, nothing good can come of it.
  • Options
    To the original questions...no and no.
  • Options
    its all psychology, a bit like fake religious cults (yogajogga, you know how to pick them...)

eg at one extreme end, they will point at a small group of people and insist that somebody wants to speak to Dave. eventually somebody will crack and and agree that they are Dave's bereaved widow, when they aren't.

also they use a lot of plants in the audience. and you believed them when they said not? silly.

also there is generic stuff and, like Derren Brown, reading people's reactions.

in fact a lot of it is very Derren Brown, half pure trickery and using plants, half very astute poker skills and reading people/leading them.
  • Options
    yeah its very clever but it aint supernatural.
  • Options
    Apparently the scottish guy doesn't charge for private sessions. I think he is still a barber too.
  • Options
    oh yes candy - another week another bunch of loony tunes. it's what makes this planet interesting innit?

the plants must be damn good actors though. they sure can turn on the tears.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I saw it, and the other two episodes. The scottish guy is the only one who appears at all believable. My dad is heavily into all this stuff and I remain completley sceptical. The trainees were terrible, I could do as well as them, and the scottish guy didn't say anything that a bit of research into his audience couldn't have revealed. I remain sceptical.
  • Options
    that's possibly a front - cos he must get appearance money - there were 1,000 people at the San Fran gig - nevermind all the book sales. very clever man then. although there was the sceptic, the one he met in the hotel room - who kept on giving very non commital replies and he was spot on.
  • Options
    Now... Derek Accorah i think he's genuine.

I love the supernatural and find it facinating although i do think some mediums are fakes.
  • Options
    "I've seen too many faked medium readings"

lol

are there any other kind?
  • Options
    Derek Accorah!!!

PermaTan man :o) I'm sorry I can't take that man seriously
  • Options
    mmmm i guess the audience buy tickets in advance. maybe they give a name and address - loads of research could be done via electoral registers, registrar of births and deaths etc. as long as you have a good memory..... anything is possible. for instance he knew the name of a woman's daughter and sister. he new the number 17 was significant. he knew the anniversary of her mohters death weas the next day.

well yes, you can look ALL this stuff up. v. clever!
  • Options
    Mediums actually rely on peoples fears and work best by intimidating their audience in very subtle ways. It is all no more than what that bloke Darren Brown does. Mind reading my ar$e! Not so clever manipulation certainly.
  • Options
    If you really want to talk to the dead then can I direct you to the Pensions thread I started, I may have a financial product you might be interested in.

:)
  • Options
    Derek Acorah ! Tee hee hee !

Mrs C likes these things and comes back from readings with stuff that is spookily accurate, but I dunno what else they've said that didn't make sense.

Oh and one prediction was that we'd go to Oz before Feb 2006. Bit precise that one and a bit far fetched. Can't see that happening !

Wish I'd seen it tho - I was watching Titchmarsh on t'other side.
  • Options
    The week before he was doing a private session for a couple who had lost their son in a car crash. He mentioned a Jack Russell (I think) and it turned out that although they'd never owned one, her son had always wanted one. Now its a ridiculous point but how do you research that? Also, the week before a girl who's sister was murdered by her boyfriend had a reading and the medium asked why the sister would be touching her stomach. It turned out that the sister having the session was pregnant and the only ones who knew where her mother and boyfriend.

Maybe I am being naive. But then again if it brings someone comfort at a time when they need it the most is it so bad?
  • Options
    It all reminds me of that scene in Life of Brian when the "sooth sayers" are lined up in the market making their announcments.

"There shall, in that time, be rumours of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi-- with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. Yea, it is written in the book of Cyril that, in that time, shall the third one..."
  • Options
    erm, dodge you're scary - do you know the whole film verbatim?
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I saw the one with the pregnant woman, and the woman was holding her stomach during the session. He could've been picking up on that.
  • Options
    Shortey those are tenuous connections and that is precisely what "mediums" rely on. They throw something out there and draw a response/connection from you. Touching a stomach, well maybe thay can get you to connect pregnancy with it, or stomach ache, or a previous operation like having your apendix(sp?) out.
  • Options
    the jack russell thing is amazing. you can't research that true. is there going to be another programme or was last night the last one?
  • Options
    If these things were true, then we'd have some hard scientific proof by now. But we haven't.

Same thing for Nessie & co. (the monster not the forumite) :-)
  • Options
    Jack Russell isn't that good. Pretty common dog - most of us could think of a connection with a dog if we thought about it.

Ooooh - I'm getting a black cat - does that ring bells for anyone ?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm the biggest sceptic in the world when it comes to this.

However, I have a colleague who claims to have second sight or whatever it's called.

On a work trip, she told a mutual colleague that she saw her with a baby. Said colleague had 3 teenage children and no plans for more (in fact, her hubby was planning the snip).

10 months later she gave birth to a daughter.

Hmmmm.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Oi, Cougs!

Both my namesake and I are very real, I thank you.

[types invoice to Scottish Tourist Board]
  • Options
    cougie I am sensing cake, a big white cake, and...and....hmmmmmm......... bells!