Options

Fabulous, fit and friendly club, Saturday

Comments

• Options
    there was a bloke in the gym last night who was on the stepper and holding the rails bent over like he was on a racing bike - cant be good for the back - i was thinking that i wouldnt run up a hill or stairs in that position - as i floated in the jacuzzi!
  • Options
    psi - is being a physicist the same as doing physics?
  • Options
    bune - depends what level!

I was told by my lecturer that a "physicist" could be taken as University level or above; I suspect it's the same sort of thing as "I'm a runner".

I just say it cos it's quicker than "I study physics" ;)
  • Options
    that made me a phiolsopher then when i was a stuey!
  • Options
    lol i mean 'phil osopher'
  • Options
    I'll cease to become a physicist when I join the Regular Army of course, I'll be a soldier then :)

(I sort of am now but am wary of calling myself that due to a nagging feeling that as a reservist I don't deserve the title!)
  • Options
    are you on an army sponsorship?

what job do you want to do ?
  • Options
    Hello again everyone.

Well done on the hockey, Bune!

I won too! Won the "who gets to take Kevin for walkies" vote. Bet she wished she'd chosen Daddy when I route-marched her the three miles to the shopping centre she wanted to go to (how many 11-year-old girls WANT clothes from M&S?), refused to buy her the pyjamas she wanted (£28 and they don't even have her size) or a dressing gown (she has one already), bought myself three identical pairs of smart black trousers because I have such trouble getting trousers that I always get several pairs when I fond ones I like that fit me (I'm too short for even the "petite" range in most places and have a smallish waist, more than adequate butt and positively generous thighs and calves), and then hit the food department with a vengeance. Nice non-home-made chicken curry with lots of veg tonight. And I think I've now got enough meat in the house to satisfy my frighteningly carnivorous in-laws who are coming to stay with us next week.

Chimpy, sounds like your 11-year-old daughter and mine would get on just fine, although my little angel has a disconcerting habit of managing to throw in conversation-turners like "If the world is overcrowded, wouldn't it be a good thing if more people were gay?" which suits me fine but makes the grannies' hair stand on end.

Early night tonight again, I think. Hope to manage a decent run tomorrow, or at least cover a decent distance and run some of it.
  • Options
    cheers Vrap

have you got an M&S outlet near you - they had some pjs in mine - or you can get virtually everything online now!
  • Options
    yo Benz

does being on call mean you have to stay in by the phone or do you have a bleep ?
  • Options
    ps. I like the steppy too. Since Susie told me that it IS possible to use it without holding on, I've been practising and can manage over a minute without grabbing the rail. Certainly helps with posture.

The funniest misuse of gym machinery I've seen (apart from the idiots who pull the lat pulldown bar BEHIND their heads) was when a man (had to be a man) got on the treadmill, programmed it, and clearly wasn't as fast as he thought he was because the belt ran away with him and he grabbed the sides and was sort of hanging there while the belt revolved underneath him. He couldn't stop it because he'd have had to let go to press the button. The supervisor came to his rescue before he fell off.
  • Options
    mm im confused about lat pulleys - its my fave excercise - in front not behind - got told behind somewhere i think

least fave is shoulder press - v weak delts
    and i struggle with leg curls - lower back
    and leg extension - weak knee quads and my gym hasnt got a leg press or squat machine
  • Options
    Bune, sometimes I HAVE to stay in the hozzie.Like monday
    And tonight im just waiting for a phone call
    Hope dont have to go back in, too tired.
    Erm I was SHOWN by the gym staff to pull the bar behind my head.
    Must have a word with the gym manager. Theres a new one and he wants to meet me to discuss my comments in the survey about the unfriendly gym staff
    They shouldnt have sneered when i mentioned a marathon
  • Options
    Hi Benz! How's stuff?

Bune, there are two M&S's plus a food-only one within walking distance of where I live. The one we went to today was the smallest one (and the one which won't stock stuffed vine leaves no matter how often I ask about them). They had loads of PJs, both children's and adults' sizes. Unfortunately, Kevin wanted a particular pair of adult ones and she's probably wide enough for a size 8-10 but far too short. I am too! Might take her to the city centre sometime soon if she's up for a jog along the canal towpath. She was really miffed because by the time we got to New Look it was closed.
  • Options
    are they snotty kids - my gym staff are quite nice and friendly but its a hotel gym rather than an uber health club - ordinary peeps not lots of lycra dollies and muscle mary men!
  • Options
    Know what you mean about shoulder press
    Suppose i should go and have a gym update , maybe the staff might be less condescending now the manager has had a waord with them
    Doubt it somehow
  • Options
    our gym wqas the first proper one to open in Cardiff, so I HAD to join it( 7 years ago)
    There was a fantastic manager at first who used to come and talk to me, got me doing gym triathlons, and encouraged me to run
    he left 5 years ago, wish i could tell him what i do now
    The gym is fulll of VERY fit people, and the staff only bother to talk to the elite fit
    I cant be bothered with them anymore
    They arent that young either
  • Options
    ask them for something technical - a rehab prog or a personalised interval training session as i dont think standard programmes are tweaked enuff for personal training!

have you got a physio dept at the hossie - do they have ant gym stuff like treadmills?
  • Options
    we have a hozzie gym
    But impractical on call as i dont even seem to be able to get 5 min for lunch without a bleep or an emergency
  • Options
    No, Benz, they shouldn't have sneered when you mentioned a marathon. If the gym instructor had done that to me, I might still believe that I can't run. Good on you for doing it anyway. Hope the gym manager is receptive and gives you a good hearing and lots of free guest passes or whatever they give to placate dissatisfied customers.

I was shown to pull the bar in front, but at the local authority gym I saw lots of people pulling it behind and not being told off so I checked it out in the weight-training guides over a coffee in Books Etc, and apparently pulling it behind is a good way to do damage to your thoracic ligs. I can see what they mean.
  • Options
    might go back and show them my medals:)
  • Options
    what about a fitness test ?

im thinking of it just to see where i am in comparison to a few years ago

intersting one tho - now ive got high body fat - im swimming better - float more and i was thinking about body fat water measurement in the jacuzzi cos i could float in it really easily!
  • Options
    our jacuzzi isnt long enough to float in
  • Options
    I have never got round to signing up for the fancy personal-training programmes at my gym (too stingy to fork out for them), but get lots of attention from the instructors and personal trainers because they know I run races. And from the cafe staff because I buy so many cups of their absolutely gorgeous coffee.
  • Options
    thanks Vrap - I will do it properly now - it also forces my neck into a strange position

it might be a body building thing as they try and work muscles from all angles

benz - could you use tready after work as a kind of stress reliever and to up your training a bit?
  • Options
    well Bune, i try and run outside these days
    So i run before work on call, and out at night if i cant get up in the morning
    Only two treadmills at the hozzie, so t=youre only allowed 10 mins on, not worth it
    At least my gym has lots of the things, so if I want to do an hour I can
  • Options
    We haven't got a jacuzzi :-D (Hate them anyway - almost as bad as saunas and other such sweatboxes).

When I was a student, I always found I swam better when I was on the well-upholstered side, but have overcome the "skeletons just sink" problem with lots of upper-body work, which definitely makes a big difference.

The string which I had to tie round my tum for Body Pump this morning is starting to bite. Must be the cauliflower and sugar snap peas taking effect.
  • Options
    dont most gyms offer a fitness test and 'programme' as part of the membership - not personal training but just a review of the one they (hopefully) give at the start?
  • Options
    Vrap - why are YOU trying string around your honed waste?