Options

50 Mile Challenge

I am in!!!

Has anyone done it? Comments please!

Comments

• Options
    yes.. me and hippo and shades and caspar were there last year.

and jolly nice it was too.. albeit actually 52miles... and 3 pints at the pub the night before wasn't a great idea.... and i crashed and burned having not been disciplined enough to eat when i didn't feel like it.

very friendly, all abilities, all distances!
  • Options
    oh and some others i've missed.... bear? hmmm
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    .....and I chased ultra bunny but I couldn't catch him!

fab event, I think it may clash with another race I have planned this year, but I would do this race every year if I could
  • Options
    hmmm.. i think you may have caught me, lucky i sneaked that extra lap in early on :)

the 30paces (or however many) run/walk thing has been useful to me since though.

i don't have this on my calendar yet, its a bit early really and could mess up my august half ironman plans... but we'll see!
  • Options
    Bizarrely I was just looking at the website for this and may give it a go.
  • Options
    its great

shades, when is Hull 24 hour
  • Options
    Just looked on the website,mmmmmm.....

I'm not going to commit myself yet but it looks good.I'm not very experienced at this ultra game, but i'd imagine that running in hot weather for so long would be a nightmare.The heat doesn't bother me normally, but after 50 miles it might.
    Those that ran this last time, how did you find it in that temperature? (I'm assuming it was warmish)
    I can feel a list coming on!
  • Options
    yes you reminded me it was very muggy at times.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now and quite fancy it since I don't think I'm in the FLM. I'm nursing an injury at present which interfered with my first marathon in Loch Ness so I've got something to prove!

I like the idea of it being loops so you can drop out easily if you are really struggling but I wonder if this might make it too easy to give up?

Also, what about the heat? It starts at 6am so there would be a few hours of respite before the real heat creeps in but for a plodder like me there would be no escape later on.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Redhead - how are you?
    You can pull out of this event at 30 miles or 40 miles and you still get a certificaate for your distance completed.
    It was very humid right from the start, we sweated buckets on the first lap but it was OK despite being on marshy land which made the humidity worse. You keep the pace slower in an ultra so you can generally cope with the heat better (except for Boddington of course).

Hippo - still haven't hear back from Hull, I'll let you know as soon as I do.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    ed - glad you're finding the 30 paces useful, I overtook quite a few at Snowdonia doing that.
  • Options
    Shades, Ed, excuse me for being nosey but what is the 30 paces thing?

I'm toying with the idea of doing ultras but i'm only upto 1/2 marathon distance at the moment but i only started running in March.
  • Options
    when i end up run/walking it usually means i'm struggling.... i used to try and run/walk to set times or set myself a target on my watch for each stint.

but it was invariably depressing every time i couldn't make it.

at the 50miler this year shades was making good progress on me doing a fixed no. of paces walking and running each time.

it's not too big a number! and focuses you nicely on the task at hand rather than wondering why the time is going so slowly!

thats my angle on it anyway.
  • Options
    I've filled out the form . . . . .
  • Options
    Interested in the 30 pace thing because soemone else seemed to be doing it at Snowdonia. - Did you continue with it up Llanbaris pass Shades? he did and I did think it would be better to walk it all like the rest of us as it was only after that i overtook him in the last run down or I may not understand the theory of it
  • Options
    Me and MrMac may be interested in this one depending how the first half of next year goes. I like the fact that you can do 30 or 40 if you feel the 50 mile is too much.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rosas Mum - No, I didn't do the 30 pace thing up the pass, I walked, but as fast as I could and overtook quite a few even some still running (I'm a good walker, carp runner).

On flatter parts of a race if I feel myself tiring I walk for 30 paces (but walk fast) then run for at least 30 paces - sometimes I run a lot further - and I find I don't lose too much pace this way but you feel that you are giving yourself a break.
    Like ed, I tried the walk/run using minutes but found I couldn't keep the running up to the allotted time which had a very negative effect on my mood and I ended up walking more than I probably needed to.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Mac - this event is 8 laps (if you go the full distance), at the lap counting check point they had energy bars, sports drinks, pasta, crisps. At the furthest drink station they also had energy bars. Needless to say I ate my way round!
  • Options
    Lotsa food too ? That would have clinched it if I hadn't already decided to do it ! ! ((0:
  • Options
    yeh i needed that pasta when i finished.

the organiser was a bit worried as i was rather pale when i finished.
  • Options
    Hi Shades, I'm well thanks and getting back into my stride slowly with the help of my smashing Physio and Massage ladies. I like the idea of 30 paces run then 30 paces walk. I sometimes do that if I'm struggling up a hill; as you say, it gives me a breather but makes me focus on starting up running again.
  • Options
    Going for it:

Spud

Thinking about it:

Let's put our names down!
  • Options
    I've just looked at the site - mmmmm tempted, but it is a long way to go - never been to Kent (well maybe took the ferry from Dover but only once).

What is recovery from these like? It looks like I'd need to be in work on the Monday.

So far I've only done two half marathons slowly (2:46/44) and have felt fine next day - none of this not being able to do stairs that otehr beginners seem to suffer from - is that 'cos I do my stretches religiously?
  • Options
    C'mon Beanz, don't be a whimp. what is 50M?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I won't be entering until I find out about the date of Hull first.
  • Options
    Going for it:

Spud
    Dodge

Thinking about it:

SHADES
    beanz52
  • Options
    go on Beanz
    you get a medal at 30 miles, you dont have to do all the 50
  • Options
    Hi. Yes BBH is in. Will be doind normal run/walk. Think probably something like 20 miles running to 30 walking. Found it great for 1st timers. Loops made it easier to break into sections. Also generous comletion time limit meant did not have to force self to go too fast. Asthma not that good that day.
  • Options
    When do I have to decide? Does it fill up?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No, it doesn't, I think we entered about 4 weeks before.